Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Leveling PLD
Leveling PLD
 Fenrir.Luarania
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-07-07 17:31:02
Link | Citer | R

Your gearsets look fine. My first question is what is your Vorpal average, and also have you compared it to Swift?

Spinning Slash is a monster, if you put the right equipment to it, PLD can do wonderful stuff with a GS like Gradd was saying.

... Why must there be an Atonement arguement in here. Yes it is good, and yes it is powerful in long fights, hell even in a fairly short fight you can Sentinal and still do decent damage with it... If you have it, congrats~ good for you. Those of us that don't, probably don't really care and are working on it in our own time. I have to agree that it's not game breaking only because I don't have it myself (Floor 65 Nyzul) and working on it when I feel like it.

Spirits Within is a good replacement if your doing End game stuff such as HNM (you should be near full HP in the first place) In exp parties Vorpal / Swift blades do the job perfectly, and for soloing VT+ if you have San Blade I wouldn't be surprised if your spamming that.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-07 17:32:00
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Tidis you need to work on your gearsets though, I'm sure you're a good pld but there's nothing in what's on your ffxiah profile that resembles a logical gearset for any particular action. It looks like you're curing, idleing, and using spirits within all in the same gearset.

I don't see what's so wrong with that gear. It just looks like normal turtle gear(with high HP, maybe a kite scenario?), with the exception of the MDT back and Curing earring.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zagam
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jamesfk
By Quetzalcoatl.Zagam 2010-07-07 17:36:06
Link | Citer | R

I'm a joke? My comments are directed at every single gimp in this thread including yourself, but you're the one getting a sand castle built in your vag over it trying to condone your lazy excuse of a pld.
I say something you don' like and you pull grade school comebacks, please. Go ahead it just proves how right I really am. Should I start with no offense but.....?
Na I do mean to offend, its clear that no ones given you the slap in the face you needed to maybe perform better.
Can claim how good you are all you want but a gimp is a gimp.

We have known for months that the level was going up noob, I have war at 75 but when I heard about the increase to 99, guess what, I leveled both nin and rdm to 50, so I would you know.... actually be ready and not look like a fool like you are now. I spent the time before the cap increase to set my job up, not sit in whitegate QQing about the lack of pld invites for nyzul , FYI 80% of the floors I climbed were ON pld, so stop with the excuses, you're lazy and a disgrace to the job.

off topic, quotes do seem buggy and replying under one name switched to another sometimes, (was jamesfk from midgar)
 Asura.Kiowa
Serveur: Asura
user: Kiowa
By Asura.Kiowa 2010-07-07 17:52:53
Link | Citer | R

should be in your best interest to get atonement
don't need to do 1-100 nyzul to get it just need to hope for drop from nm or hnm dig in get your feet wet don't be shy
 Caitsith.Lerond
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Lerond
By Caitsith.Lerond 2010-07-07 17:53:41
Link | Citer | R

Hey if you can get on them vultures in miseraux you can do very well DW Joy/justice i did it myself too.

March/minuet from brd and Sushi i was doing about 600 vorpals i think, Atonement takes effort to get it good dmg so your not any worse for not having it in a merit party i would say.

Just flash it at start and dont focus on keeping the hate just let it bounce around and if you got 3 ok DDs a good brd puller and a good healer you will get 20k an hour on them vultures with you pld/nin.

Cant comment on the Greatsword i went with staff its great alternative for pots and skeletons and Retribution for nice dmg and Spirit taker when you need some mp is great too. Edit also about 19 more skill at lvl 75.

GL man
 Quetzalcoatl.Zagam
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jamesfk
By Quetzalcoatl.Zagam 2010-07-07 17:56:16
Link | Citer | R

quotes not working at all now....

Considering I can barley read 90% of your sentence...

"Anyways do you even have HNM experience? There are a lot of HNM you don't engage. Ixion Tiamat Lambton Worm making Atonement invalid.

You ranting and screaming like an idiot YOU CANT LEVEL PLD OMG YOU DONT HAVE ATONEMENT YOUR GIMP OMG OMG OMG, your just making yourself look like a retard.

Its a game people can do whatever the hell they want, id love to see you tank something where you cannot engage and use atonement, just means you rely to much on it and have no clue about how hate actually works.

Also /WAR sub is pointless, if you really care about Damage mitigation you should /BLU. /RDM is dead PLD can Self Phalanx now, and /WHM gives higher MDB."

Are you defending the lack of atonement? I can't tell where you stand to be honest,

Ranting and screaming like an idiot? If you actually read my comments, getting atonement is more important then getting to 80. how is that hard to understand? How is having everything available to you that makes you preform better hard to understand, this INCLUDES sj, Gear everything else. I know atonement is useless on "some" HNMs but the vast majority it isn't.

Pld is not xp friendly, the only reason to level it at all is to use it for what its for, tanking. If you're not going to put the work into then yes OMG YOU CANT LEVEL PLD OMG11!!! whats so wrong in that? you condone gimp gear? gimp subs? gimp effort?

There is a lot of subs for pld, /war is not dead (although I have aegis so I do get to play /war a lot more then most) /rdm is not dead /whm is a choice as is /blu and /nin.

But go ahead, bust out that GS get to 80 as fast as possible and don't worry about putting the effort it to actually be a solid pld.
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-07-07 18:14:37
Link | Citer | R

Ya'll gettin' Trolled...
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 18:24:03
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kiowa said:
don't need to do 1-100 nyzul to get it just need to hope for drop from nm or hnm dig in get your feet wet don't be shy

And perform hundreds of SCs to unlock it?

That aside, Atonement isn't a deal breaker with PLD. If I'm lowmanning, I'd choose a tank with it, I don't wanna sit for an hour killing something. Else, it doesn't matter. PLD can maintain hate just fine, Atonement just also lets them act as a relative DD. If I'm stuck for a tank though, Atonement or not I'm not gonna decline you.
In parties though it isn't even worth the debate. As /WAR from merely voke/flash you can score around 400s on average, but a good Vorpal build will beat that.
The single minded fapfapatonement PLDs are terrible players.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-07 19:16:54
Link | Citer | R

No im not condoning Gimp Gear/Subs, but climbing Nyzul Isle isnt something that happens over night. You can only do so many runs a week, so why not Level PLD and do nyzul on the side?

The way you talk you expect everyone to already have their Gear, I dont know about you but I worked my *** off for all the gear I have and it took time and effort to get.

PLD is one of the hardest jobs in the game to gear, nobody suddenly just Wakes up and has Homam Hands/Pants/Feet, Ares Cuirass, Valhalla and Proper Shield/Enmity Gear etc. Unless you bought your account, which somebody else obviously put the effort in for you?

Calling somebody Gimp because they just recently hit 75 and its their First Job, or just couldnt get Sea Access done to attain Homam is just immature. I am not saying PLD should not get Atonement, my arguement is you dont NEED Atonement to do your job.

You can have all the gear in the world and still suck at PLD, its one of the few jobs in this game that you actually need skill to play, and having Aegis is no exception. Aegis just means you can suck and still do decently well.

PLD is for tanking in a XP party? PLD is *** USELESS in a xp party 75+ your not going to hold hate against any DD that is worth a Damn, so why not put some effort into Doing DMG instead of gimping the xp per hour, instead of pretending that you can hold hate. Xp mobs last maybe 30 seconds if that... you honestly believe you can hold hate on a mob from a well Geared WAR or SAM spamming Gekko and Raging Rush?

/WAR is dead mine will stay 37 I nave no use for it, Voke is worthless if you seriously need it to hold hate then that is fail. Please dont say Defender... PLD/BLU using Cocoon is 50% increase in defense so Defender is invalid. What do you get from /rdm? None of the spells can be used as hate tools anymore, /whm has higher MDB.

Personally I love seeing "Gimp" PLD who do extremley well at the job more than well geared ones, Gear does not make you a good PLD, it just builds on the skill you already have. You cant tell me that you have never seen a well geared PLD that wasnt god *** awful at the job.
[+]
 Phoenix.Uzugami
Serveur: Phoenix
user: SSJAV
By Phoenix.Uzugami 2010-07-07 19:38:37
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gradd Personally I love seeing "Gimp" PLD who do extremley well at the job more than well geared ones, Gear does not make you a good PLD, it just builds on the skill you already have. You cant tell me that you have never seen a well geared PLD that wasnt god *** awful at the job.

Ares's body makes a pld good. Just sayin
[+]
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-07-07 19:46:20
Link | Citer | R

Don't forget Homam as well now, still good gear but Perle looks to even out with it

I agree with alot on what Gradd said, only use I have for WAR really now is campaign.

I hate BLU to much to bother leveling it, last go around it pissed me off waaay to much...
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 19:50:31
Link | Citer | R

lol @ /WAR being dead. Useless for damage mitigation, but soloing or even things like Nyzul? Increases your DPS vastly through DA alone, hence more fapfapatonements.
[+]
 Ifrit.Itazura
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-07-07 19:52:32
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Asura.Kiowa said:

And perform hundreds of SCs to unlock it?
Atonement worth the effort, IMO, even if all you have is Floor 5*. Personally, I started working on it as soon as I got the sword, and I couldn't have been past Floor 20 then.

That said, just getting into a Nyzul Isle group as a PLD is likely a trial, so I don't fault PLDs for not having Atonement unlocked, but I do expect those without it to make reasonable effort at it.

* Yes, at Floor 5, that 12,480 WS points requirement look almost impossible, but the number can only go down as you climb in Nyzul Isle, and WS while farming for KS seals or skilling up shield/parrying is basically free WS points. Heck, grab a SAM who's bored and go for Light SC if you can while farming.

Brave Blade is actually a decent sword when level sync'ed down; I volunteered for mid level parties just to speed up the unlocking of Atonement.

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
That aside, Atonement isn't a deal breaker with PLD.
I think that's what I love the most about PLDs; even without top notch gear or Atonement, a skillful player on PLD is one sturdy and reliable tank.

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
lol @ /WAR being dead. Useless for damage mitigation, but soloing or even things like Nyzul? Increases your DPS vastly through DA alone, hence more fapfapatonements.
Why would anyone solo on /WAR?

I liked PLD/NIN in Nyzul Isle; Joyeuse + Justice for weaker targets, Joyeuse + shield for harder stuff. Justice > Double Attack; I'd never bring /WAR to that place.

Of course, I like SAM/NIN even better.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-07 19:56:51
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

People clinging onto /WAR need to get out of 2004. Do you not have a Joytoy? Kinda makes DA from /WAR obsolete. I dunno thats just me.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 19:58:24
Link | Citer | R

Yes I unlocked it at floor 55ish. But that's still a long time to spend even with SC'ing, doing it casually as you farm getting 1 point per WS would take an insane amount of time. Plus from the mindset floating around this thread, using Brave Blade would still be condoned as being gimp if you aren't solo even though it has relatively high DMG.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 20:02:17
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

People clinging onto /WAR need to get out of 2004. Do you not have a Joytoy? Kinda makes DA from /WAR obsolete. I dunno thats just me.

50% chance of not procing, lowered by DA% of procing. Herp derp maff is hard. Never mind Berserk, Attack bonus etc. In case you didn't notice, the /RDM ideal has mostly dried up thanks to self Phalanx. So yes, if I'm soloing something, or even in a party, fighting something that isn't retardedly high level, /WAR will always be sufficient. Why use /DNC or /BLU to mitigate already low dmg further, when you can /WAR, still take low damage, but kill faster?
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-07 20:08:13
Link | Citer | R

Its actually 45% Chance to proc, and were talking about Xp party situations soloing doesnt make /WAR valid, thats just personal preference for your soloing, thus the Clinging.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 20:14:04
Link | Citer | R

You'll have to explain how it isn't useful in a party. A PLD is going to be invited as a tank, or maybe a friend you know as a DD. /SAM viable for DDing with 2hander, or /WAR viable for tanking, hell it can be viable for DDing too. Aside from some of the new mobs, XP party mobs don't hit so hard as to gimp yourself with /NIN or other tangible subs. Even Nyzul mobs don't hit so hard that you should be desperately requiring shadows.
Clinging? Try harder.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-07 20:15:12
Link | Citer | R

How many meripo invites did you get on PLD because a Tank was needed? Just curious.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 20:22:12
Link | Citer | R

I can see how that is relevant. I can see your inability to read too
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
/WAR viable for tanking, hell it can be viable for DDing too.

I'd say a PLD would be invited to tank more often than they would be told to break out /SAM and a GS. I'm sure you and most other people invite other DDs to DD. And as for which sub you choose to use to DD, well that's down to preference right? /WAR can DD fine, and thats besides the point, just /WAR isn't useless, dead or for those who like reminiscing to 2004 as you so like to point out.

[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-07 20:29:50
Link | Citer | R

PLD/NIN Justice/Joytoy >>> PLD/WAR for Damage

I dont see how you can be arguing that.

Nobody in their right mind will invite a PLD to a xp party 75+ and expect it to help xp per hour.

Also im not sure if you know it but you actually lose enmity taking damage making /WAR even less efficient. Normally id expect a Aegis PLD to know that but proves my point of one of my posts above.

The way it seems is you finished your Aegis so you could cling onto PLD/WAR longer.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 20:36:08
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gradd said:
PLD/NIN Justice/Joytoy >>> PLD/WAR for Damage

I dont see how you can be arguing that.

Nobody in their right mind will invite a PLD to a xp party 75 and expect it to help xp per hour.

Also im not sure if you know it but you actually lose enmity taking damage making /WAR even less efficient. Normally id expect a Aegis PLD to know that but proves my point of one of my posts above.

The way it seems is you finished your Aegis so you could cling onto PLD/WAR longer.

HAHAHA. I didn't argue anything vs Joy/Justice, I was actually going to argue that in a previous post. And you clearly didn't read yet again. /NIN does not spike enmity at all. /WAR does. And if you care to read back, I said now with Phalanx the damage you're going to be taking (thanks to you know, the shield) will be low. Not to mention shield mastery. So the enmity loss is marginal if anything, and didn't you say a PLD in a party won't hold hate off a SAM? That more true for /NIN.
But yeah sure, I made Aegis so I could /WAR at Tiamat with SMN rotation so I could feel old school again. I /WAR for solo/Nyzul/other mundane stuff, I don't XP party on PLD.

Assumptions.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-07 20:59:35
Link | Citer | R

Did you never learn Flash? Voke enmity Decays after 30 seconds, Flash still maintains some CE.

In a xp party at most Voke would just direct the mob towards you for a few seconds... the same thing flash will do. With 2x March and Haste you can get flash down to about 20 seconds... you need voke again why?

I dont know about you but if im in a party I like to contribute Pretending to Tank /WAR isnt contributing. If you dont have Excal and you are PLD/WAR then you are not a DD period. Even then if you are focusing on DD then /WAR is gimp.

You keep bringing up Nyzul? Why are you going PLD to nyzul when you have SAM and MNK? Once again killing efficiency.

Maybe people should start bringing PLD/WAR to salvage they are obviously better tanks than MNKs amirite? They can spike hate!
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
user: Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-07 21:03:07
Link | Citer | R

holy ***, just make exp parties/campaign(I know) to get you to 80. You probably will have smoother pts as a traditional pld (/war) but if the mobs fall fast enough (tp burn) /nin is also good (flash for initial hate, so the mob is turning every which way and makes it easy to melees to do their thing, sam comes to mind). Then work on atonement or subs, really its your account and if your ls isnt bitching about your tanking then dont listen to all the trolls saying dont lvl without atonement.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 21:10:48
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Did you never learn Flash? Voke enmity Decays after 30 seconds, Flash still maintains some CE.

In a xp party at most Voke would just direct the mob towards you for a few seconds... the same thing flash will do. With 2x March and Haste you can get flash down to about 20 seconds... you need voke again why?

I dont know about you but if im in a party I like to contribute Pretending to Tank /WAR isnt contributing. If you dont have Excal and you are PLD/WAR then you are not a DD period. Even then if you are focusing on DD then /WAR is gimp.

You keep bringing up Nyzul? Why are you going PLD to nyzul when you have SAM and MNK? Once again killing efficiency.

Maybe people should start bringing PLD/WAR to salvage they are obviously better tanks than MNKs amirite? They can spike hate!

You're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Um, you realise enmity is cumulative right? In an XP party, /WAR tanks better than /NIN... It's amazing you're arguing this. You realise /WAR also has Flash? My point is /WAR is a viable sub to DD as for any enemy that isn't hitting you so hard, that /NIN becomes mandate. As /NIN you can Dual wield Joy/Justice, which is relative to what gear you have available. And due to the inability to generate a large amount of hate (you know, more than just Flash?) apart from Sentinel every few minutes, Atonement is pretty useless. So your WS fall to Swift/Vorpal, both of which SHOULD do more damage as /WAR due to higher attack, DA, zerk etc. /NIN should TP faster than /WAR with those two swords, but /WAR will knock out higher numbers.
I brought up Nyzul as an example where a PLD could safely /WAR and increase performance over something like /NIN. Bosses don't hit hard enough to warrant shadows, and fighting them without a shield so you can Dual Wield is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE in itself. Never said I go PLD to Nyzul over SAM or MNK but okay!
Point is, you're advocating that /WAR is entirely useless for anything but solo, and you're wrong, and trying to make it sound like I said /WAR is the be all end all for PLD always everywhere forever and ever.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-07 21:11:28
Link | Citer | R

For those of you having trouble xp'ing PLD 75+ im serious when I say Moblin Maze Mongers Do it up.

22-24k an hour w/ a good PT is unbelievable for a PLD. Just setup your own runs and they go by really fast.

You can buy the Mazes from Duplidoc in the goblin shop dont have to make your own.

Duplidoc >>> View Copiable Mazes >>> View By Theme >>> Team Alpha >>>> Pick w/e one is the most popular its usually a bird Maze.

Piercing DD do really well, runs take about maybe 10-15 minutes and you end up getting like 6k xp per maze. With allied ring the Box at the end will give you 12k xp for completing the maze which is pretty damn sexy for a 10 minute run.

Setup I usually run with is Healer then a bunch of DDs PLD works decently well in there can help keep DDs alive w/ cures.

I just dragged friends along and got xp for PLD really fast doing it~
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-07 21:14:09
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gradd said:
For those of you having trouble xp'ing PLD 75 im serious when I say Moblin Maze Mongers Do it up.

22-24k an hour w/ a good PT is unbelievable for a PLD. Just setup your own runs and they go by really fast.

You can buy the Mazes from Duplidoc in the goblin shop dont have to make your own.

Duplidoc >>> View Copiable Mazes >>> View By Theme >>> Team Alpha >>>> Pick w/e one is the most popular its usually a bird Maze.

Piercing DD do really well, runs take about maybe 10-15 minutes and you end up getting like 6k xp per maze. With allied ring the Box at the end will give you 12k xp for completing the maze which is pretty damn sexy for a 10 minute run.

Setup I usually run with is Healer then a bunch of DDs PLD works decently well in there can help keep DDs alive w/ cures.

I just dragged friends along and got xp for PLD really fast doing it~

especially when your 6th pt member drops and pls you^^
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-07 21:18:29
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:

You're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Um, you realise enmity is cumulative right? In an XP party, /WAR tanks better than /NIN... It's amazing you're arguing this. You realise /WAR also has Flash? My point is /WAR is a viable sub to DD as for any enemy that isn't hitting you so hard, that /NIN becomes mandate. As /NIN you can Dual wield Joy/Justice, which is relative to what gear you have available. And due to the inability to generate a large amount of hate (you know, more than just Flash?) apart from Sentinel every few minutes, Atonement is pretty useless. So your WS fall to Swift/Vorpal, both of which SHOULD do more damage as /WAR due to higher attack, DA, zerk etc. /NIN should TP faster than /WAR with those two swords, but /WAR will knock out higher numbers.
I brought up Nyzul as an example where a PLD could safely /WAR and increase performance over something like /NIN. Bosses don't hit hard enough to warrant shadows, and fighting them without a shield so you can Dual Wield is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE in itself. Never said I go PLD to Nyzul over SAM or MNK but okay!
Point is, you're advocating that /WAR is entirely useless for anything but solo, and you're wrong, and trying to make it sound like I said /WAR is the be all end all for PLD always everywhere forever and ever.

Do you even read what you type? I'm HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE? Really now?

"I /WAR for solo/Nyzul/other mundane stuff, I don't XP party on PLD."

You said that unless somebody else was at your computer?

Funny you ask me if /WAR also had flash considering you said PLD/NIN had no way to spike enmity.

Fail PLD are fail, you are exactly the kind of PLD I love well geared and no understanding of the job.

You sir are a lost Cause.

/Thf is huge spike for 2 handers Damage, does that make it better? No. Spike is not always better, in the end it comes down to your Damage over time which will make you pull ahead NOT spike.

I'm a Marine I strike for efficiency in everything I do, if anyone is the retard its you.
[+]
 Ifrit.Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-07-07 21:21:19
Link | Citer | R

M.A.R.I.N.E. yay

<- navy
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-07 21:28:12
Link | Citer | R

Me saying I /WAR for Nyzul does not mean I choose to go PLD/WAR over SAM or MNK. I've done it less than a handful of times. You seem to read what you want to see. It's amazing.
Flash does not Spike Enmity as much as Voke and Flash do. HENCE WHY /WAR TANKS BETTER IN XP PARTIES. Spike Enmity has nothing to do with DDs spiking dmg with /THF, how is that even relevant? I mentioned spike enmity because it's relative to Atonement.
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
And due to the inability to generate a large amount of hate (you know, more than just Flash?) apart from Sentinel every few minutes, Atonement is pretty useless. So your WS fall to Swift/Vorpal

Can you see it yet?
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
(you know, more than just Flash?)

Through use of both you can actually still attain decent Atonement numbers if you find your other weaponskills are failing. Less useful in parties due to mobs dying fast, but it really depends on how hard or weak your Vorpals/Swifts are hitting.

So yeah. You're the one making dumbass claims about a sub being useless everywhere.
[+]