Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Eva vs Pdt-
Eva vs Pdt-
 Bahamut.Shadowskull
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Shadow273
By Bahamut.Shadowskull 2010-07-07 05:46:17
Link | Citer | R

im working on a when ***hits the fan setup.

since mnk has eva B+ and i wanna do some eva merits too, my thoughts are eva build ftw.

many ppl told me *** eva and go for a pdt- setup, cause eva in endgame is lol.

i dont have the inventory space for both setups so i wanna fokus on one.

which would be better?

maybe mix eva up with equipment like bb, jelly ring, patr. ring?

thx for help
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-07 05:56:15
Link | Citer | R

It's good to have 2 sets, 1 for EVA and the other PDT. It is correct that in end game a lot of the enemies will have capped hit rate as they eat Marinara Pizza +1 so judging by the fact they won't miss you, I'd rather have PDT set for that.

EVA is more solo inclined where you won't be fighting enemies with such high accuracy, giving a chance for EVA to work.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-07-07 05:58:27
Link | Citer | R

Personally I'd prioritise PDT over Eva, when ***hits the fan I'd rather have a guarentee than a possibility.

Arhat's Gi/Jinpachi (and their +1) are definitely worth the gil if you can get hold of them. Giving a combined -10% (-15%) PDT is very valuable.

The people that told you to ignore EVA and go for a straight PDT- setup are generally the ones I'd go with.
[+]
 Fenrir.Tool
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-07-07 06:00:14
Link | Citer | R

Obviously as stated before you'd want PDT for the more accurate mobs that face you, while if you're maintaining a fight with something EM or lower, evasion works well since monk has a semi decent cap.

But as a general rule I go by:
White-yellow HP = eva
Orange-red = -PDT, especially in retreat.

Another note: Depending on some TP moves the mob uses, most are hard to dodge or are inevitable to hit you, also depending on the timeliness, you can swap out for PDT on such TP moves which can cut down on how quickly you lose HP.
 Remora.Deezell
Serveur: Remora
user: Deezell
By Remora.Deezell 2010-07-07 06:01:46
Link | Citer | R

id only build an eva setup if u plan on doin alot of soloin.... thats bout all evasion is gonna give u
 Fenrir.Tool
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-07-07 06:03:16
Link | Citer | R

If anyone would be so kind, I'd love to see a maxed out eva setup for MNK, as well as a maxed out -PDT setup. By all means go nuts, d.ring and all.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-07 06:13:17
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tool said:
If anyone would be so kind, I'd love to see a maxed out eva setup for MNK, as well as a maxed out -PDT setup. By all means go nuts, d.ring and all.
http://myffxigear.kicks-***.org/

Just need to factor in trial weapons. Think you can get more evasion using the trial h2h. And only pdt without using a staff
 Bismarck.Fabiano
Serveur: Bismarck
user: fabiano
By Bismarck.Fabiano 2010-07-07 06:16:42
Link | Citer | R

pdt and eva got their uses . when you solo on mnk sam dnc or whatever . i prefer evasion for EM/T or VT mobs . when it comes to tanking bosses i go with pdt (since the chance to evade some physikal tp moves is pretty low) with the right food and support .
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-07 06:29:21
Link | Citer | R

Also if you are fighting without counterstance up with a mob with mean tp moves (one might question why you have counter stance up then) pdt might be better.

Cause it doesn't really matter how many hits you avoid if it still one shots you
 Alexander.Lacas
Serveur: Alexander
user: Rakasu
By Alexander.Lacas 2010-07-07 06:48:32
Link | Citer | R

Depends fully on the situation, i've tanked plenty of bosses and for example on the pre-sky RotZ bosses they tend to have low acc so Eva was better but looking at a boss like Galarhigg who seem to cap acc no matter how you gear -pdt is better. So generally speaking low acc enemies = eva, high acc enemies = -pdt.
 Bahamut.Shadowskull
user: Shadow273
By Bahamut.Shadowskull 2010-07-07 15:59:05
Link | Citer | R

thx for info. made a set while maint. and made a lil mixed up set. iirc pdt- cap is 50%. with this set im exactly @ 50%.

if we know how to get eisen grip we would get another 2% we could swap with counter, evasion, etc.

there COULD be a possibility i would get a defending ring. what would be smart to swap out? maybe denali wristbands with the evasion skill +6 hands? usukane of course but they arent in reach atm.
 Diabolos.Gira
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-07 16:05:03
Link | Citer | R

I would just like to point out that Counter is subjected to an accuracy check, which I'm sure you know... That being said, countering with staff skill and no accuracy gear... You're probably not going to get much help from counter in this ***-hits-the-fan set up. I'd suggest using a pair of cross counters/retaliators if you want to fall back on counter... That or just out the counter gear and go for evasion. Just my opinion.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [141 days between previous and next post]
By Tedril 2010-11-25 13:01:11
Link | Citer | R

Pdt and counter not eva... mostly pdt, like to point out if you are a pld and have a defending ring, i would suggest using that on your monk as well for tanking situations...
 Bahamut.Evilswine
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2010-11-25 13:43:18
Link | Citer | R

old thread is old
[+]
 Cerberus.Weegie
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Weegie
By Cerberus.Weegie 2010-11-25 17:45:44
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Lacas said:
Depends fully on the situation, i've tanked plenty of bosses and for example on the pre-sky RotZ bosses they tend to have low acc so Eva was better but looking at a boss like Galarhigg who seem to cap acc no matter how you gear -pdt is better. So generally speaking low acc enemies = eva, high acc enemies = -pdt.

But the whole point here is to choose one or the other. Obvoiusly having both is preferred, but if you only have room for one, which do you choose?

I've done a lot of low man NM's in Abyssea now. From the prespective of the WHM, that PDT is going to save you. The mage can only spam cure you if you live through the TP moves. You are not going to evade much, and would be better off in general planning on countering instead of evading. But in the end, PDT is the better choice if you can only choose one.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-25 23:09:29
Link | Citer | R

PDT is VERY situational for mnk. It's what we have counterstance for. Unless the mob has terror or constantly stuns, there isn't much reason to carry PDT on mnk. I keep it in my satchel, but not in my inventory unless I know it's a mob that will spam one of terror or stun.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-11-25 23:46:21
Link | Citer | R

How do you counterstance some ws's?
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2010-11-26 00:34:17
Link | Citer | R

I use my eva set alot. pdt, not so much. Things like brooder, piasa, chasmic hornet can all be killed solo pretty easily with a decent eva setup.
 Bismarck.Azagarth
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Azagarth
By Bismarck.Azagarth 2010-12-04 21:56:42
Link | Citer | R

oh? explain....
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2010-12-04 22:04:35
Link | Citer | R

You need someone to explain to you that if you evade the attacks, you dont need pdt-? lolwut?
[+]