Is Perfect Counter Working Right?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » is perfect counter working right?
is perfect counter working right?
 Bismarck.Danz
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2010-06-29 20:47:29
Link | Citer | R

been doing some soloing trying to get my occ. atk. 2-3 H2H
and when doing so. i noticed that occasionally perfect counter will act a lil odd and canceling before i even counter and in some cases just as it goes up

Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Motenten
By Unicorn.Motenten 2010-06-30 04:04:20
Link | Citer | R

You didn't show the entire log, but often the message for effects wearing off like that show up before the enemy action that caused them. In this case, your countering or getting hit probably showed up after the message about PC wearing off.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-30 04:07:05
Link | Citer | R

A mnk I know says it seems to rarely do that but it also rarely will stay up after countering. And sometimes even rarer not counter and not lose it.
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-30 04:39:45
Link | Citer | R

I can only assume that if you counter and it stays on, it's because you would have countered that attack anyway. As for having it wear off without a counter? That sounds broken :p
 Bismarck.Danz
Serveur: Bismarck
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2010-06-30 11:58:21
Link | Citer | R

there was no counters a good wile before and after the wearing
 Valefor.Madranta
Serveur: Valefor
user: Madranta
By Valefor.Madranta 2010-07-08 22:10:00
Link | Citer | R

I can confirm that it does act strangely at times. It's actually for the better though. I have had it work on more than one attack far more frequently than I have had it fail all together. I've only noticed it wear off after having been hit and not countering a few times. And those few times have been ~10-15 seconds after activating it so I know it wasn't lag making the hit look like it came after activation and it also wasn't it simply wearing after 30 seconds.

Overall I'm happy with the skill. It makes getting Utsu:Ichi off sooo much easier. Here's hoping we eventually get a Seigan like ability for this skill that also lets it work on WSs like Third Eye does ;)
 Leviathan.Willson
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Willhem
By Leviathan.Willson 2010-07-08 22:28:11
Link | Citer | R

I can agree with most that's already been posted.
Perfect counter is anything but "perfect."
I haven't checked the wikipedia page in a while, but it seemed to be pretty accurate with results I was seeing in my own testing.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-07-08 22:30:37
Link | Citer | R

You realize if you counter and miss, you wont see anything in the log, right?
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [42 days between previous and next post]
 Unicorn.Lillaly
Serveur: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Lillaly 2010-08-19 11:25:02
Link | Citer | R

From my understanding (and use of) PC has a chance to counter 1-3 attacks. Sometimes although rarely it will not counter any at all. Now what causes that i dont know.

and @Quipto, preety sure that counter's cant miss, besides shadows, since the game checks to see if you hit with your counter to decided if you take damage or not.

[+]
 Asura.Rinkydink
Serveur: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-08-19 11:34:09
Link | Citer | R

lol its necro bump day!
 Fairy.Basilo
Serveur: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-08-19 13:47:22
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
A mnk I know says it seems to rarely do that but it also rarely will stay up after countering. And sometimes even rarer not counter and not lose it.

This, that is all.
 Sylph.Rorrick
Serveur: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-08-19 16:04:52
Link | Citer | R

Not really all that rare to have it stay up after the first counter. Like the necro said, seems to have a decent chance at staying up for up to three counters before wearing off.

Can just fail altogether (albeit rarely) though.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-19 16:06:36
Link | Citer | R

I'm sure it has the same limitation as Counterstance, you can't counter a mob that's extremely evasive, it's based on your accuracy. So there's probably an accuracy check before the counter check.
[+]
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-08-19 16:10:03
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
I'm sure it has the same limitation as Counterstance, you can't counter a mob that's extremely evasive, it's based on your accuracy. So there's probably an accuracy check before the counter check.

I doubt it. Works fine on boss chariots/mamools/that homo Hypogryph in Abyssea-Kon, but can be a flop on a lizard in Cape Terrigan (one of the few times it died on me without proccing first). Putting an accuracy check in would be counterproductive to the ability, and accuracy is capped on most things at 80 without any effort anyway.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-19 16:12:21
Link | Citer | R

That's the point, you always have a 5% chance of missing, therefore the 5% chance of not countering. Regular counters are based on accuracy, all this ability does is change the next counterable attack into a 100% proc rate.
[+]
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-08-19 17:35:02
Link | Citer | R

I guess that's plausible. I just treat it like Third Eye without Seigan.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-19 17:41:48
Link | Citer | R

Probably noticing it as much as SAMs miss a WS. If you'd like to test it, have a mob flash you and see whether you're countering or not.