Religion strikes again
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 16
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 20:12:11
Link | Citer | R

So, riddle me this: If the reasoning behind the man's death was caused by the family wanting to watch something else on TV that didn't concern religion, would the focal point of that TV show be to blame or was it just "crazy people being crazy?"
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:12:19
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Just keep in mind that religion works both ways. It can be a powerful tool of self-empowerment through faith, but at the same time can be used as a tool or excuse for unspeakable crimes against humanity.

So can money. I don't see you boycotting money like you do religion.

Sadly our modern society runs on the stuff. I need to work to keep a roof above my head, clothes on my back, food on the plate and bills paid. Religion is optional.

I'm not singling out religion, but it is the subject at hand. No need to deviate.

The fact that you have strong moralistic stand points against religion, until something effects you directly, I see this as a hypocritical stand point.

I'm not so much speaking directly against it or hating on it as I am pointing out the fact that is no greater or less of a tool used in violent conflict as have money/love/land/war/etc. have for centuries.

Also until what directly affects me? You aren't being specific enough.

Money.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:13:21
Link | Citer | R

I'm all for civil debate, but I fail to see why you would so quickly resort to accusations of hypocrisy when I am simply making observations and giving my own personal point of view.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:14:22
Link | Citer | R

No offence wee, but I rarely see you take part in a civil debate when it comes to religion, it normally ends up in sarcasm.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:14:30
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
So, riddle me this: If the reasoning behind the man's death was caused by the family wanting to watch something else on TV that didn't concern religion, would the focal point of that TV show be to blame or was it just "crazy people being crazy?"

It all comes down to crazy people being crazy. However, I think that it had less of a chance of having a violent/fatal outcome if the show they wished to watch over soccer was not religious.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:15:46
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
No offence wee, but I rarely see you take part in a civil debate when it comes to religion, it normally ends up in sarcasm.

I apologize if I come off that way. I actually relish the chance to feed the mind on different view points, standing and overall duality of people's disposition on such things. Religion or otherwise.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 20:15:57
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Weewoo said:
I'm all for civil debate, but I fail to see why you would so quickly resort to accusations of hypocrisy when I am simply making observations and giving my own personal point of view.

You accused the majority of religious people to resort to violence when something doesn't go their way.

You're hardly a saint here. (No pun intended.)

Your hypocrisy lies in the statement "It was not my intention to single out religion." Yes, it was your intention, and you did it over and over again.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:17:03
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

You accused the majority of religious people to resort to violence when something doesn't go their way.

You're hardly a saint here. (No pun intended.)

Your hypocrisy lies in the statement "It was not my intention to single out religion." Yes, it was your intention, and you did it over and over again.

Well it's what we're discussing no? I understand the need to defend your points by pointing to other tools of conflict such as money, love etc. but that's not what we're revolving our conversation around.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:17:13
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I apologize if I come off that way. I actually relish the chance to feed the mind on different view points, standing and overall duality of people's disposition on such things. Religion or otherwise.

It's all good, it could just be me taking your writing style the wrong way, It's hard to judge when you can't hear the inflection of the voice.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:19:44
Link | Citer | R

I believe it was the beginning of page 2 that I made some clarification that origins of conflict aren't specifically bound to religion, along with my John Lennon video.

Ironically it was rated down lol. In fact nearly every post of mine in this thread has been rated down, lawl.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 20:23:34
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Weewoo said:
I believe it was the beginning of page 2 that I made some clarification that origins of conflict aren't specifically bound to religion, along with my John Lennon video.

Ironically it was rated down lol. In fact nearly every post of mine in this thread has been rated down, lawl.

Some people don't like John Lennon.

(And no, I didn't rate your posts down. I'm not on lolAllakhazam)
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:24:27
Link | Citer | R

Oh well, to each their own right?

I only bring up the rating thing because I would like to think that in such a thread, people would have some degree of self-moderation, but I guess not.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:24:33
Link | Citer | R

I don't rate any posts down at all, I never even notice lol.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 20:25:22
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I don't rate any posts down at all, I never even notice lol.

Ratings are stupid, anyway.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:27:39
Link | Citer | R

Well despite a semi-heated argument, I had a good time discussing this with everyone. And again I would like to apologize if my posts came across as insulting or spiteful. I merely wanted to give my view on things and point out the duality of things related to the story given.

Stay thirsty my friends.
 Bismarck.Bigheadkitty
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bigheadkitty 2010-06-17 20:28:42
Link | Citer | R

Lmao money is the root of all evil...or maybe in 90% of the world soccer is the root of all eveillllllllllllllll. Jk soccers cool played it for 10 years while I was yuonger. But *** soccer fans in some palces are lunatics!
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 20:28:45
Link | Citer | R

Flion, is that Jesus in a police car in your avatar?
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:29:30
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:

It might be...
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-06-17 20:29:59
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:

It might be...

That...just made my day. LOL!
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:32:34
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:

It might be...

That...just made my day. LOL!

Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-06-17 20:35:08
Link | Citer | R

This picture demonstrates what religious arguments of any kind usually devolve into. That's why the religion debate has been going on for years and will continue to go on for years. This is also why I allow people to think whatever they want to, whether I agree or not. I may state my opinion, but I'm not going to beat the topic to death. I realize it's not always possible to just have your own opinions and understand that other people also have their own opinions, but the world might be a nicer place if we tried.

Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:42:40
Link | Citer | R

Well while you're here, what's your view on this story Liela?
 Odin.Liela
Serveur: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-06-17 20:48:36
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Weewoo said:

I'm not religious, but I don't think religion should be used as an excuse for murder. The man's family killed him. Whatever the cause, they are ultimately to blame. Religious people just can't always be reasoned with, though, and I wouldn't doubt it if they thought they were perfectly within their rights because that's what they thought their god wanted.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 20:50:23
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Liela said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

I'm not religious, but I don't think religion should be used as an excuse for murder. The man's family killed him. Whatever the cause, they are ultimately to blame. Religious people just can't always be reasoned with, though, and I wouldn't doubt it if they thought they were perfectly within their rights because that's what they thought their god wanted.

Strange how I had pretty much had the exact same view point but went through so much backlash from so many others lol.

I suppose I can't be as well spoken as you or Jaerik.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 20:59:11
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Weewoo said:
Odin.Liela said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Strange how I had pretty much had the exact same view point but went through so much backlash from so many others lol.

I suppose I can't be as well spoken as you or Jaerik.

That's because you guys are focusing on religion, acting as though religious people normally go out and commit horrible acts in the name of their God, which is why you're getting so much backlash. No excuse for murder, and most religious people don't think murder is an acceptable part of their religion. I'm sure there have been a good amount of atheist murders who thought they were perfectly in their rights because its what they wanted to do.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-17 21:04:02
Link | Citer | R

Well, for whatever it means, the point I was trying desperately to get across specifically pertains to the story given to us. I know a majority of religious people aren't crazy and wouldn't fathom killing another person under any practical happenstance. However, I still believe that religion can be used as a tool of self-justification to carry out acts of hate/crime/violence. Of course, this would apply to someone who was deeply disturbed in the first place far before religion even came into the formula.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-17 21:05:14
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Liela said:

Ragnarok.Psyence
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-06-17 21:05:50
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
Only humans can create this kind madness.
Fixed.

Humans created God. So I have to agree.

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-06-17 21:09:47
Link | Citer | R

But a non-religious person could also think that they are self-justified to carry out acts hate/crime/violence. I don't see why religion needs to be singled out any more then a person who does not follow a religion. If a person didn't believe that a God was telling them that it was O.K. to commit such crimes, they could of just as easily thought that they can do it because they're not responsible to any morale code/law.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 16