Tactical Guard, and Perfect Counter discution
First Page 2
 Bismarck.Danz
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2010-06-17 15:51:58
Link | Citer | R

Ok. everyone MNK lv 10+ should know about guard. you might of gotten a whole .1 by then!

if your lucky.

my point. the new job traits being released with the jun 2010 update is releasing a job trait for MNK and PUP called
Tactical Guard. wich grants TP bonus upon a successful guard. (most likely going to be only 1 TP per guard) its essentially shield mastery for guard. which is very nice.

i admit. id be happyer to see Martial Arts VII or kick-attacks III

hopefully we get some more of those in the fallowing updates
chances are high... i hope. regardless im happy to see new stuff for MNK.
*cough* perfect counter *cough*

might make /SAM possable
it is a counter so chances are its not going to work on weapon skills such as spike fail. it has potential to be a great tool for /NIN also between shadows.

back to Tactical guard. the only problem with this however. is guard. the skill itself is wonderful. heck you can even guard when petrified!

however skilling it up is a challenge unlike any other skill up challenge. quite possibly one of the hardest skills to increase in the game. I'm just wandering as to. if this motivated anyone else to go out and skill up guard?

i know several people in my linkshell who think guard is just not worth the time.

there is also a parry version but parry is far easier to skillup and skill up rates are more generous then guard. with this being sed. i hope SE adjusts the skill-up rate on these defensive job traits to be up there with shield.

Gilgamesh.Miala
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Miala 2010-06-17 15:54:14
Link | Citer | R

My guard skill is only 148 >.<

I would like SE to make skilling guard as easy as skilling parry!
 Fairy.Spence
Serveur: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-17 15:54:26
Link | Citer | R

Tactical counter, yes please! Or an ability that improves guard proc rate drastically
 Pandemonium.Theringer
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Theringer
By Pandemonium.Theringer 2010-06-17 18:33:10
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Spence said:
Tactical counter, yes please! Or an ability that improves guard proc rate drastically

I concur. Sick of tryin to skill up guard & gettin squat.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Serveur: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-06-17 19:51:31
Link | Citer | R

To cap guard have a rdm with phalanx II preferably serveral merits, go in den of rancor, sub BLU and use cocoon, use pdt gear, eat tacos, and tank 4-5 even matches mandys at a time (you aggro them all, and engage something else while still facing them). It takes only a few hours to cap. You can do this with any mobs but those pucks attack a lot per round so ..
 Pandemonium.Theringer
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Theringer
By Pandemonium.Theringer 2010-06-17 19:53:51
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
To cap guard have a rdm with phalanx II preferably serveral merits, go in den of rancor, sub BLU and use cocoon, use pdt gear, eat tacos, and tank 4-5 even matches mandys at a time (you aggro them all, and engage something else while still facing them). It takes only a few hours to cap. You can do this with any mobs but those pucks attack a lot per round so ..

That's true for us with sucky guard skill? Say, 150 being generous!?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-17 20:02:59
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
might make /SAM possable
/sam for what? /war is a better DD sub and /sam well doesn't offer anything but an unseigan third eye for protection
Quote:
My guard skill is only 148 >.<
No worries. Unless they actually change how guard works, that job trait is next to worthless, I have capped guard, you should see how often I guard. It's probably as much as you.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:04:20
Link | Citer | R

I still think they are trying to push the tank role on mnk. (I know they can make wicked tanks already, but I could see even more abilities added to enhance this)
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-17 20:19:40
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

A few chigoes work better for lower levels. (Like from 0-215)
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:20:59
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

Would it work 119-215? I might pay a RDM on Shiva to help me out with it.
 Fairy.Tibirian
user: Tibirian
By Fairy.Tibirian 2010-06-17 20:22:45
Link | Citer | R

More important when we are talking about /War look at their new ability at 45. Fencer - Increases rate of critical hits when wielding with the main hand only. Grants a TP bonus to weapon skills. If this counts for monks which i assume it will since we don't get a bonus for dual weild or Two handed skills even though we can't equip another weapon. Make monk/war much better at straight DD.

May also be good for pld if shields don't disable the ability.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-17 20:23:08
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

It should, Chigoes hit soft and fast. Phalanx is usually enough to stop all damage. Scholar/RedMage is also a very good choice to support you. There are just no EM chigoes I think. So Puks or Korrigans will have to do for 240-276(?wut's munk cap?!)
Fairy.Tibirian said:
More important when we are talking about /War look at their new ability at 45. Fencer - Increases rate of critical hits when wielding with the main hand only. Grants a TP bonus to weapon skills. If this counts for monks which i assume it will since we don't get a bonus for dual weild or Two handed skills even though we can't equip another weapon. Make monk/war much better at straight DD.

May also be good for pld if shields don't disable the ability.

I'm like 99.999999999999999% positive "Fencer" is only going to be active with a single-hand weapon wielded in the Main Hand. It might not even work with a Shield.
 Caitsith.Katas
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-06-17 20:26:21
Link | Citer | R

guard gear + agi gear + dnc sub + gnoles till 260s then move onto Champion orcs by recall-jug. Lower levels i used mnk gigas in dtower, orc mnks in moncaves, pucks are *** but also played with them higher up
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-06-17 20:27:56
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Leviathan.Pimpchan said:

I wouldnt bother takes way too long like mine is 230 and only about 40 lvls of that was from forced skill up against many mobs hitting me and that 40lvls alone took like 100hours at least 0.5 to 1 lvl an hour if ur lucky with 6 chigoes hitting u to u kill them with counter. Tiger already said its pretty useless capped.
 Phoenix.Destrac
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Destrac
By Phoenix.Destrac 2010-06-17 20:41:31
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I still think they are trying to push the tank role on mnk. (I know they can make wicked tanks already, but I could see even more abilities added to enhance this)

Nothing wrong with this. Tanking makes MNK 100 times more fun.
 Caitsith.Katas
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-06-17 20:42:43
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Destrac said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Amen!
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-17 20:44:36
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Destrac said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Couldn't agree more.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-06-23 11:15:20
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Destrac said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Couldn't agree more.

Not only more fun, but anything that get's people's monks out in the fresh air more is good too!
 Bismarck.Helixx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2010-06-25 19:35:35
Link | Citer | R

Contributing:

Just unlocked MNK79 and got Perfect counter (PC) and I must say it exceeds my expectations! Yes it may be a 1 min recast, but it stays 30 sec! (and it is a new JA with no drawbacks). Perfect for Shadow recasts.
Best if put on before the shadows actually wear.

Now the great news: Regular counter procs OVER PC. So if you would normally counter, you counter and PC is NOT consumed. My record today way 3 counters, and on the 4th time PC was consumed.

Like a mini Third Eye + Seigan, but better in a sence since it is 100% counter.
[+]
 Cerberus.Lumei
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Lumei
By Cerberus.Lumei 2010-06-25 23:49:05
Link | Citer | R

Does perfect counter, counter WS or is it just normal hits?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-06-26 00:21:00
Link | Citer | R

Just hits, it's like regular countering
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [110 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Juandbz
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Juandbz
By Bahamut.Juandbz 2010-10-13 23:24:18
Link | Citer | R

they should not make it easy to skill up guard but instead give even more benefits for those those who have cap them or skilled it up high, make those monks more unique.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-21 11:14:39
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Katas said:
guard gear + agi gear + dnc sub + gnoles till 260s then move onto Champion orcs by recall-jug. Lower levels i used mnk gigas in dtower, orc mnks in moncaves, pucks are *** but also played with them higher up
-eva gear helps as well :x
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-21 11:27:47
Link | Citer | R

Eva should never be an issue in all honesty. If it's missing a lot, grab a second mob. Just have enough mobs to where you can still support staying alive, and are getting hit all the time.

That being said, skilling guard is worthless
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-21 11:29:33
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
The way Genome conveys it, guard would seem pretty nifty to have. o_o
 Ramuh.Laffter
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-10-21 11:44:18
Link | Citer | R

Even if it is worthless, it doesn't hurt to have it.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-21 11:48:44
Link | Citer | R

I'll break it down for you.

You're to make guarding worthwhile on any mob worth a damn (Tough or higher), you're going to have to *** guard+ in any slot to have anything over minimum guard rate (which is 5%).

Let's say you're blood tanking DD mnk, you *** guard in every slot. Guess what, you're taking more damage. Why? Because you're losing valuable DD gear in other slots, and now the mob lived that much and dealt a greater deal of hits during the fight.

Life or death situation? Physical damage taken is going to be a much better gear set than guard+. Guarding is only a chance to reduce damage, while PDT gear is guaranteed reduced damage.

If you're not whoring guard gear in every slot, your guard rate will be the same at capped skill as it would with 1 skill, the minimum, 5% on any mob that matters.

EM or lower mobs?
A) They don't hit hard at all, there's no need, most of the time, to worry about damage taken.

B) Evasion. On EM or lower, between mobs hitting for ***damage and the fact that your evade rate should very good, guarding isn't going to do anything here, because the mobs are so easy to kill already.

Guard does nothing for you on higher tier mobs, and is pretty much worthless on lower tier mobs.

Coming from someone who had guard capped when the cap was 75, having it capped for almost 2 years, there was no noticeable difference from having it 277 (I had merits in it as well before I lv'd other jobs) and having it the 105 it was when I first dinged 75
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-21 11:51:01
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Even if it is worthless, it doesn't hurt to have it.

Actually, it does, unless your mnk is 100% perfect, you could spend the time it takes to skill guard on other things, that will actually make your mnk better. Don't have X piece of gear? Go make effort to obtain that and the time will be better spent than skilling guard. Need gil? Instead of skilling guard, farm, etc.

If your mnk is not perfect, and you're using time to skill guard instead of other things, you are indirectly hurting your mnk.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2010-10-21 12:06:08
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
The way Genome conveys it, guard would seem pretty nifty to have. o_o

Genome's stuff looks cool, and I am sure there's lots of useful stuff there, but I always took a lot of it as "this is what monk CAN do," and that's not always what's the best route. I don't know for sure, though, but that's just what I've always thought.

I do get excited when I see a skillup, or when I guard something big that jacks other people up.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-21 12:31:28
Link | Citer | R

I do the same when I get a parry skill up, lol
First Page 2