SCH Update: Getting Riped Off ???

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » SCH update: Getting riped off ???
SCH update: Getting riped off ???
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Odin.Lowblow
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-07-03 11:32:13
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone said:
So, if SCH is that much better than BLM, they why doesn't SE just get rid of BLM, since it's so LOL?

SCH is better than BLM for conserving MP but nothing will bring firepower to the battlefield like a BLM can, BLM have much higher elemental magic and can deal out quick flashes of damage with just a Tier 3 during endgame, where as SCH would need to buff completely then decide on potency or mp conserving which is where the two are differenced, even though i love scholar. i favor BLM

This is exactly it. Sch is better in the long run. But for short high dmg , blm is king
 Ragnarok.Ezzi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Serey
By Ragnarok.Ezzi 2010-07-03 11:32:45
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Lowblow said:
Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
Quetzalcoatl.Terribleone said:
So, if SCH is that much better than BLM, they why doesn't SE just get rid of BLM, since it's so LOL?
SCH is better than BLM for conserving MP but nothing will bring firepower to the battlefield like a BLM can, BLM have much higher elemental magic and can deal out quick flashes of damage with just a Tier 3 during endgame, where as SCH would need to buff completely then decide on potency or mp conserving which is where the two are differenced, even though i love scholar. i favor BLM
This is exactly it. Sch is better in the long run. But for short high dmg , blm is king

I guess that settles it then?
/thread?
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-07-03 11:51:07
Link | Citer | R

Sure. Except that if you actually read the thread I'm not sure anyone was trying to argue what job is better in general. Maybe Dasva but to tell you the truth I'm not sure what he was trying to show.
 Ragnarok.Ezzi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Serey
By Ragnarok.Ezzi 2010-07-03 11:54:13
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Nezea said:
Sure. Except that if you actually read the thread I'm not sure anyone was trying to argue what job is better in general. Maybe Dasva but to tell you the truth I'm not sure what he was trying to show.

Regardless, both jobs have their pros and cons. neither is perfect and one will seem better than the other in certain situations, even then its how you PLAY the job and which makes you more comfortable to play on, i have BLM and i have SCH. for soloing id much rather BLM so i dont have to go through the stratagems for buffing my spells, on BLM spells are hit or miss period. but for a party situation where i have support, id much rather be SCH.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hbar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Lumos
By Bismarck.Hbar 2010-07-06 11:15:57
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Nezea said:
Yeah it's excellent on high resist mobs but the biggest appeal to Argute Mortarboard in my opinion is the Fast Cast. It's really a great piece if you macro it in properly.

Yes, if you need to cure before someone dies, or if you are in Dark Arts in general, which I must say, I am surprised that this whole subject turned into a BLM vs SCH one. BLM's are GREAT for what they do, and SCH's are GREAT for what they do, just like ALL the jobs in FFXI....why compare? There is something for everyone's taste and abilities.

The fast cast is good, but you already get that with the sch feet. And pls don't tell me you use the Argute feet at all, cuz they really are worthless, I don't even macro them in. And of course the legs are ONLY for Dark Arts.

But cutting off a whole minute to get to the total sublimation is of more worth in my opinion. Which is what you get with the sch hat.

But, that IS what we have macros for, to change gear given the spell used or situation.

I still agree with the OP, if I even remember it anymore :)
SCH got hardly anything compared to other jobs, as they usually don't. Even with the SJ considered...bc everyone else also got the upgrade with their SJs.

Like I said before, strategems are the bread and butter of the SCH, and if we don't get more of those, then we have one hand tied behind our backs.

And ppl that just tell a sch to switch back and forth from Dark to Light just don't get that having only 4 strategems really kills that ability. Yes, it can be done in a pinch, but not constantly.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I was not allowed in a merit pt bc they wanted Haste. Well, now that we will have Haste with /whm we give up a lot of our /rdm abilities, until we reach level 96.

And, from what I can tell from this subject, and from speaking to others, it seems to me that many SCHs are frequently being used more in Dark Arts, where as others, such as myself, are being used more with Light Arts, so you kinda get a specialized type of sch player (Dark Arts vs Light Arts)....and yes yes, we can do both, but it is just an observation of mine.

For the person that likes the fast cast of the Argute hat...try your sch hat again for a while, and see how much difference it makes in your sublimation...I didn't want to believe it until I tried it. Now, I hardly ever use the Argute hat.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hbar
By Bismarck.Hbar 2010-07-06 11:24:53
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
I guess that settles it then?
/thread?

Maybe the thread about BLM vs SCH, which I don't even know why it turned into that.

But that doesn't necessarily end the thread of the OP.
 Bismarck.Hbar
By Bismarck.Hbar 2010-07-06 11:34:01
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
Regardless, both jobs have their pros and cons. neither is perfect and one will seem better than the other in certain situations, even then its how you PLAY the job and which makes you more comfortable to play on, i have BLM and i have SCH. for soloing id much rather BLM so i dont have to go through the stratagems for buffing my spells, on BLM spells are hit or miss period. but for a party situation where i have support, id much rather be SCH.

Totally agree with you here, the problem I run into is that I hardly ever get support when in a pt (unless it is just a mana burn pt).

It is like they will "settle" for a sch when they can't get a whm, and a sch can't really main heal...not in a fast full pt anyway. Which is why it is so hard for a sch to get a merit pt (in general).

Now, if you can get a whm AND a sch in one pt, you have it MADE!! :))
 Asura.Rinkydink
Serveur: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-07-06 11:38:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
Gilgamesh.Nezea said:

^^ This.

Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-06 11:53:37
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Nezea said:
You mean except you. I only argued blm could do more dmg and you argued the one of the few things that blm can clearly do better it can't
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2010-07-06 12:44:01
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Hbar said:
Gilgamesh.Nezea said:
For the person that likes the fast cast of the Argute hat...try your sch hat again for a while, and see how much difference it makes in your sublimation...I didn't want to believe it until I tried it. Now, I hardly ever use the Argute hat.

Idle in ixion cloak without sublimation, cast in argute head if you need to shorten recast/casting on a spell (aspir/drain mmm) or have resists on nukes, idle in argute gown and scholar mortarboard if using sublimation on the go/not charging with max hp gear before an event. No reason to idle in argute head.
 Gilgamesh.Nezea
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Nezea
By Gilgamesh.Nezea 2010-07-06 17:16:18
Link | Citer | R

Yeah...I'm glad hardly anyone on this forum can distinguish between what's actually said and what their own personal conclusions are based on what is said. Until you realize the difference, Dasva, I see no point in arguing with you but I strongly advise you go back and read the thread again if that's what you think.

Also,
Bismarck.Hbar said:
Gilgamesh.Nezea said:
Yeah it's excellent on high resist mobs but the biggest appeal to Argute Mortarboard in my opinion is the Fast Cast. It's really a great piece if you macro it in properly.

Yes, if you need to cure before someone dies, or if you are in Dark Arts in general, which I must say, I am surprised that this whole subject turned into a BLM vs SCH one. BLM's are GREAT for what they do, and SCH's are GREAT for what they do, just like ALL the jobs in FFXI....why compare? There is something for everyone's taste and abilities.

The fast cast is good, but you already get that with the sch feet. And pls don't tell me you use the Argute feet at all, cuz they really are worthless, I don't even macro them in. And of course the legs are ONLY for Dark Arts.

But cutting off a whole minute to get to the total sublimation is of more worth in my opinion. Which is what you get with the sch hat.

But, that IS what we have macros for, to change gear given the spell used or situation.

I still agree with the OP, if I even remember it anymore :)
SCH got hardly anything compared to other jobs, as they usually don't. Even with the SJ considered...bc everyone else also got the upgrade with their SJs.

Like I said before, strategems are the bread and butter of the SCH, and if we don't get more of those, then we have one hand tied behind our backs.

And ppl that just tell a sch to switch back and forth from Dark to Light just don't get that having only 4 strategems really kills that ability. Yes, it can be done in a pinch, but not constantly.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I was not allowed in a merit pt bc they wanted Haste. Well, now that we will have Haste with /whm we give up a lot of our /rdm abilities, until we reach level 96.

And, from what I can tell from this subject, and from speaking to others, it seems to me that many SCHs are frequently being used more in Dark Arts, where as others, such as myself, are being used more with Light Arts, so you kinda get a specialized type of sch player (Dark Arts vs Light Arts)....and yes yes, we can do both, but it is just an observation of mine.

This is why I said it's great "if you know how to macro it in properly," which clearly you don't. You literally only have to macro the Argute Mortarboard in for a split second when you begin casting the spell to get the fast cast benefit on any spell which matches your current grimoire. You can switch it out immediately after you begin casting, unless you also want the recast benefit which doesn't matter for most spells, although it does for some (amazing Stoneskin piece due to the reduced recast as well as the high MND. Also great for Drain and Aspir).

Scholar's Mortarboard should be used only for idling and possibly for nuking if you don't have a Selenian Cap or Teal Chapeau. There is no such thing as a full-time hat. What are you doing that you're so concerned about the extra 1 or 2 MP you'll get out of keeping your AF hat on while casting that you're willing to sacrifice useful stats for it? SCH is the most MP-efficient job out there..make use of that.

As for Argute Loafers being useless, that's also nonsense. I agree that I'd never use them normally but I find them useful in two situations:
1) You have a tonne of people to raise. You can significantly cut down the recast on Raise with these in conjunction with Aurorastorm.
2) You're fighting a highly resistant NM. You can cut down the recast on Klimaform with these in conjunction with Voidstorm.

In fact, every single piece of SCH AF and relic has at least some use. If you're discounting any piece as useless then you're not playing the job properly.
 Lakshmi.Minipie
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Minipie 2010-07-06 17:38:19
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Hbar said:
Ragnarok.Ezzi said:

Totally agree with you here, the problem I run into is that I hardly ever get support when in a pt (unless it is just a mana burn pt).

It is like they will "settle" for a sch when they can't get a whm, and a sch can't really main heal...not in a fast full pt anyway. Which is why it is so hard for a sch to get a merit pt (in general).

thats YOUR opinion, i meet tons of sch that out performs some rdms and whms out there on the healing department without running out of mp, including me, and the only reason that they don't get in merits pt it's because no haste but at lvl 80, your totally clueless, and randomly trolling, because you have no idea of what are you talking about because a whm it's not more faster or efficient than my sch
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2010-07-06 17:47:33
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Minipie said:
Bismarck.Hbar said:
Ragnarok.Ezzi said:

thats YOUR opinion, i meet tons of sch that out performs some rdms and whms out there on the healing department without running out of mp, including me, and the only reason that they don't get in merits pt it's because no haste but at lvl 80, your totally clueless, and randomly trolling, because you have no idea of what are you talking about because a whm it's not more faster or efficient than my sch

Jokes aside, I can't believe people are still reading this thread ;x.
 Asura.Rinkydink
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-07-06 17:51:17
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Hbar said:
Ragnarok.Ezzi said:

wait.. WHUT? cant main heal?! stfu.. how stoneskinga and phalanxga DOESNT help with MP management then i dont know what does..

ive done MANY a party without a corsair or a rdm and done more than fine with main healing.. hell i spent most of my lvlling days doing that. to say they cant main heal is like saying a sch cant nuke!
 Bahamut.Valencea
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Valencea
By Bahamut.Valencea 2010-07-06 17:53:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Rinkydink said:
Bismarck.Hbar said:
Ragnarok.Ezzi said:
Totally agree with you here, the problem I run into is that I hardly ever get support when in a pt (unless it is just a mana burn pt). It is like they will "settle" for a sch when they can't get a whm, and a sch can't really main heal...not in a fast full pt anyway. Which is why it is so hard for a sch to get a merit pt (in general). Now, if you can get a whm AND a sch in one pt, you have it MADE!! :))
wait.. WHUT? cant main heal?! stfu.. how stoneskinga and phalanxga DOESNT help with MP management then i dont know what does.. ive done MANY a party without a corsair or a rdm and done more than fine with main healing.. hell i spent most of my lvlling days doing that. to say they cant main heal is like saying a sch cant nuke!

I throw up accesion phalanx/stoneskin/regen II, and then fall asleep for like 5 minutes ^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Minipie
By Lakshmi.Minipie 2010-07-06 18:47:17
Link | Citer | R

i have been doing nyz isle f80/100 main healing and support role alone with no bard or secondary healer just fine on my sch, with 4 dds and 1 thf, using items from the coffer of course, elixir and dusty ether
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-06 18:48:05
Link | Citer | R

You know what owns more than that in nyzle?

1 rdm and 5 DDs split up between blus and sams. Only items used are body boost and 1 sam gets fanatic. Don't even convert usually
 Lakshmi.Minipie
By Lakshmi.Minipie 2010-07-06 19:28:07
Link | Citer | R

of course its possible on floor 20/40/60 but 80/100 can be a *** , sometimes items are required or convert because frogs and psyflyers are serious threads, specially if your dealing with with cerberus as a boss, i personally think sch becomes for efficient on that than whm , specially on cerberus that needs to constantly spam paralynagas and keeping stoneskinga up to cut down the damage taken and conserving mp for cures, but i have been done 80/100 with no itamz before the update but its because no annoying chariot or psyflyer/frogs rooms
 Lakshmi.Minipie
By Lakshmi.Minipie 2010-07-06 19:31:24
Link | Citer | R

im not trying diss whm but my ls only use whm for barspells tiamat/fafnir, the rest of ls events most healers are sch or rdms

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-06 19:40:48
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
You know what owns more than that in nyzle?

1 rdm and 5 DDs split up between blus and sams. Only items used are body boost and 1 sam gets fanatic. Don't even convert usually
Oh, quit trollin'. :)
What? It's what my group did 90% of the time. Occassionally we got a different DD if we had to or replaced one with a brd or a cor.

Our norm was 7 floors
 Asura.Ebry
user: Ebry
By Asura.Ebry 2010-07-06 19:50:11
Link | Citer | R

How about:

SCH is better at being a SCH

BLM is better at being a BLM

No one really cares THAT much about all of this, seriously. I can nuke on SCH, I can heal on SCH, I can support on SCH. Thats what this job is, a compliment to the mages jobs. Why not just leave it at that and stop waving your e-peen's around frantically.