Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Best Dagger combo w/o Mandau/X's
Best Dagger combo w/o Mandau/X's
 Alexander.Eons
Serveur: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: Eons
By Alexander.Eons 2010-05-31 16:11:08
Link | Citer | R

So I can't seem to figure out which dagger combo is best ever since magian trials came out. I've always gone with Blau/Sirocco mainly for speed and DoT.

So with the new trial daggers in mind which is best for overall DoT and/or spike damage? (remember no Mandau or X's)
By Vegetto 2010-05-31 16:13:12
Link | Citer | R

Well as compared to relic, mythic sucks, but since relic is out, mythic comes back into play.

Hope this helps.
 Bahamut.Dionikes
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Dionikes
By Bahamut.Dionikes 2010-05-31 16:16:52
Link | Citer | R

I too was curious. I think he meant like which trial weapons. Danaki looks good, but math wise I was curious also which would out do my Blau/sirocco
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-05-31 16:19:13
Link | Citer | R

Well if accuracy is uncapped you can always get the DEX Dakini and Blau offhand or Sirocco Offhand. I'd still avoid Mythic, if Mythic becomes an option at anytime, slap yourself, spend the time you would have spent getting it and go get an X's Knife instead.

Secondly, OaT Magian Dagger is very decent offhand weapon, DMG:31 and Occ.Atk.Twice of course, plus with new magian trials upcoming might get even better.

Blau/Sir is still a good combo, still one of the best, Only really need to change it to accomidate your accuracy, which is where DEX Dakini comes into play. Dak/Blau, Dak/Sir, etc etc all good combos, and Blau/Sir is still up top with capped accuracy
 Alexander.Eons
By Alexander.Eons 2010-05-31 16:22:12
Link | Citer | R

Cool thx. and yeah sry forgot to mention not including mythic either. I figure that's a "duh" since it blows
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-31 16:41:33
Link | Citer | R

Get the max dmg trial one for mainhand!
 Alexander.Eons
By Alexander.Eons 2010-05-31 16:47:53
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I was thinking that since it's a lil nicer than Pharpe.

Maybe that main and sub sirocc or sub the DMG: 31 Occ Atk twice?

Hard to tell which would do better over Blau/sirocc
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-31 16:54:49
Link | Citer | R

If I was a thf to events more often I'd probably run the numbers but I'd say the 38 dmg one main with the high dmg OAT offhand would probably be about the best DOT situationally and slightly higher ws dmg. Of course assuming the acc doesn't matter on blau
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-05-31 17:32:11
Link | Citer | R

I'd agree with Karbuncle. Probably Acc Dakini + Blau, Blau + D.A. Athame, or Blau + Riddle, depending on what kind of stuff you're fighting.
 Phoenix.Slytribal
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2010-06-01 13:22:29
Link | Citer | R

Would the Dmg+5 Kartika/Blau or Kartika/Sirocco combo be better than Blau/Sirocco at all?

Also, as I'm working on Mandau, slowly but surely, I'm also wondering how would Batardeau/Blau (Or Sir) work out?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-01 13:48:08
Link | Citer | R

I'd think so. Max dmg dagger has slightly higher dps then blau and will make for a bit higher ws dmg.
 Alexander.Chopxsticks
By Alexander.Chopxsticks 2010-06-01 14:04:28
Link | Citer | R

eva+12 eva+12 an go soro everyting....
 Remora.Laphine
Serveur: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-06-01 14:06:25
Link | Citer | R

i think blau translates in more dps with its acc and att though. And there is also the low delay factor which will get even better with new DW ranks.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-01 14:26:56
Link | Citer | R

Oh I'm sure if your acc is uncapped blau will have more dps. Attack maybe. If acc is uncapped should probalby use the dex/acc one anyways

If you want to bring up the new DW well then you can bring up blau will stay the same while this will get new trials. Though really it will increase both of there dps the same it just might increase lower delays tp gain a very little more.

When I last did the math Pharp/blau came pretty close to blau/sir depending alot on how much the magic dmg would do and fstr and such. This is now another 1 more dmg and 9 less delay so... seems nice.

Even better in situations where you aren't constantly attacking

Anywho I'd still use athame for offhand.

Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2010-06-02 23:49:05
Link | Citer | R

Blau is still the shizznit.

Batardau/Blau roughly equals Blau/Sirocco. I've used it so I could tell. And the math would show it being so. I preferred Batardeau/Blau. I daresay there is a thin line, and it may very well be that activated Mighty Knife is worse than Blau/Sirocco for burn situations. P.Harpe certainly worse.

I wouldn't go w/ the + base damage Kartika.

Blau/Athame(D.A.) > Blau/Sirocco
Blau/Sirocco ~= X's/Blau
Mandau/Blau ~= or > Mandau/X's

Blau and Acc Dakini/Kartika or w/e it's called, now that is a matchup to possibly beat Blau/Sirocco and Blau/Athame, but that's of course if you can use all the accuracy.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-02 23:51:02
Link | Citer | R

Mandau
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-03 00:03:09
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Mandau/bart
Fixed
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-06-03 00:08:14
Link | Citer | R

Hurray Shamaya! I am having trouble deciding between the Daggers myself, but I'm using the following logic:

1. I'm always eating sushi or pizza on THF. There are precious few situations where eating meat is actually going to benefit me over pizza or sushi (unless my damage is strictly SA/TA ONLY - and I will address this case in the points to come)

2. As such, the value of the accuracy on the Dakini is greatly reduced because the food itself is already allowing me to make most if not all of my beneficial swaps. Any further increase is likely to be marginal at best compared to the OAT on the Athame.

3. In situations where I am fully relying on SA/TA as my ONLY source of damage, accuracy is irrelevant.

Other considerations: X's Knife. While I wanted this for such a long time, I honestly don't think the slight delay advantage and the extra critical damage is going to outweigh such a massive increase as 40% OAT (on a high base D Dagger at that).

Using this logic I would be forced to argue that Blau/Athame (or whichever way around it is, haven't looked properly admittedly) is probably the best nonrelic Dagger combination. EDIT: Since THF is so situational I should probably state that this is talking strictly in any situation where you are not SA/TA'ing only for damage - that was a comparison between Blau+Dakini and Blau+Athame - X's Knife should be the best nonrelic in any situation where you are pure SA/TAing which should hopefully be rare.
 Leviathan.Shinjisuke
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Shinjiro
By Leviathan.Shinjisuke 2010-06-03 02:45:46
Link | Citer | R

Dakini(STR+4 Att.+12) + Behemoth is what i am using atm. It is an awesome combination. But depends on food and equip and what you are fighting. Coeurl Subs are a good choice instead of Sushi when you have enough Accuracy.
But isnt the combination: "any good dagger/Thiefs Knife"
what most leader want in most endgame situations? ^^
So thats what we THF use most... /tell Shinjisuke: come THF and bring TH ... thats what i hear most.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2010-06-04 16:29:11
Link | Citer | R

Switch it in when the mob is almost dead?

THFs that feel they don't need to do damage are like BRDs who feel they don't need to cure.
Quote:

Other considerations: X's Knife. While I wanted this for such a long time, I honestly don't think the slight delay advantage and the extra critical damage is going to outweigh such a massive increase as 40% OAT (on a high base D Dagger at that).

And while I admit the OAT dagger is a tough contender, it's 40% DA on one hand that's mutually exclusive to our natural TA and Brutal Earring's DA. So, yeah, assuming /nin, take all of ours hits, cut it by 50%, then cut it by 90%, then cut that by 95%. 40% of what's remaining will DA. It's still up there as one of the best combos, but lets not over-glorify it. All of our weapon skills(that matter) besides Dancing Edge is boosted immensely by the X's knife.

Personally, I'm still working towards an X's knife (and a Mandau at the same time) and I'm going to be PISSED if they don't let us augment the X's knife somehow.