Haste Is NOT Exponential...

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Haste is NOT exponential...
Haste is NOT exponential...
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 16 17 18
 Leviathan.Duvessa
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-14 20:56:30
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
a = bc. Can I conclude a relationship between a and c?

That has absolutely no bearing here.

"((H/100)D/60) = A" Would be more correct
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-14 20:57:04
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
a = bc. Can I conclude a relationship between a and c?

That has absolutely no bearing here.

"(H/100)D = A" Would be more correct
How does that in any way affect the validity of his point?
 Leviathan.Phenomena
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2010-05-14 20:58:05
Link | Citer | R

how can you say that...idk cause i get stuck with a problem...

i mean say you have 500 base delay and subtract 1%...=495...now subtract another 1%..490.5....so -delay has decreasing returns.... so if you say haste >>>delay>>attack speed shouldnt that be the same? unless SE has it go off your original delay...and not your new delay... each percent
 Kujata.Houshisama
Serveur: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2010-05-14 20:58:44
Link | Citer | R

Delay is a useless part of the calculation, and both sides are true. you arent making any point, because haste is exponential in its returns, but it doesnt change delay in a exponential fashion. good for delay. but luckily for the rest of us, DELAY DOESNT EVER CROSS OUR MINDS. attack speed and timer reductions do.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-14 20:58:52
Link | Citer | R

Can I conclude a relationship between A and H?

Yes. I can therefore say that changing A will change H in a certain way.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-14 21:00:27
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

When calculating miles per hour traveled:
Distance in miles / time = MPH

Thus D/T = M

Does Distance outside of that formula mean anything to MPH? No. One is merely the result of a calculation to determine the rate of travel. If someone says "that mountain is 60 miles away" are you gonna say "no, its 60 mph away"? Of course not, because it would be entirely incorrect.
its a result of 2 variables to make an assumption based off time, in both cases of attack speed and mph.
[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-14 21:01:19
Link | Citer | R

Phen, haste stacks. We all know this. Thus its not calculated as 1%, then another 1%, then another 1%... It's calculated as 3%. If haste didnt stack that way, and was calculated the way you said then haste would have less return per 1% added at 25 than it did at 10%.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-14 21:01:54
Link | Citer | R

Distance = (ms^-1 * s)
Speed = (ms^-1)

This is a completely different relationship to attack speed and delay which are reciprocal quantities (and not completely different ones as here).
 Leviathan.Phenomena
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2010-05-14 21:03:36
Link | Citer | R

yeah i see where that went wrong...
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-14 21:04:40
Link | Citer | R

Anyways, I'm going out. Seeya
[+]
By semimmortal 2010-05-14 21:05:17
Link | Citer | R

I'm starting to like google docs...
Based on 999 delay:

amidoingitrite?
 Carbuncle.Axle
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-05-14 21:06:46
Link | Citer | R

semimmortal said:
Based on 999 delay:

amidoingitrite?

Perfectly right.

Ya, been a couple of those graphs already. Doesn't help. He'll just argue something that isn't.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-14 21:06:50
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

When calculating miles per hour traveled:
Distance in miles / time = MPH

Thus D/T = M

Does Distance outside of that formula mean anything to MPH? No. One is merely the result of a calculation to determine the rate of travel. If someone says "that mountain is 60 miles away" are you gonna say "no, its 60 mph away"? Of course not, because it would be entirely incorrect.
its a result of 2 variables to make an assumption based off time, in both cases of attack speed and mph.
facepalm.jpg
 Kujata.Houshisama
By Kujata.Houshisama 2010-05-14 21:07:27
Link | Citer | R

maybe if i phrased it like this you will see you are wrong.

TAKE THE WHOLE EQUATION DURING HASTE

(attacks per original delay)APOD = delay/x (x is new delay after haste)

now if haste only affects delay linearly, then thats fine, it can be true.

but if we look at APOD, it rises exponentially as haste goes up. and not at the same return per haste point. going from 1-2% isnt NEARLY as big as going from 98-99%

can you ignore that part of the equation for damage done over time? NO.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-14 21:09:02
Link | Citer | R

semimmortal said:
Based on 999 delay:

amidoingitrite?

Noyourenotdoingitright

The graph is correct in the fact that it illustrates delay's effect on attack speed. Delay is influenced by haste. As i've said at least 5x by now, decreasing delay nets exponential returns.

Haste has a direct and entirely linear effect on delay though. 600 delay * .5 (this is your 50% haste) = 300 delay, or 6 delay per 1% haste reduced.
600 delay * .99 (1% haste) = 594.

Haste gives no exponential return. Every 1% of haste has an equal effect on delay. Delay has an exponential return on attack speed.

HASTE, AS A VARIABLE... IS ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NOT EXPONENTIAL
Is the rate of attacks based off delay exponential? Yep.
Is the END result exponential? Yep.
Haste, however, is not. It's merely a factor in the equation.

NOOOOW I'm going out. Off to the movies, peace~
[+]
By semimmortal 2010-05-14 21:09:03
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Axle said:
semimmortal said:
Based on 999 delay:

[/img]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5315/hasteq.png[/img]

amidoingitrite?

Perfectly right.

Ya, been a couple of those graphs already. Doesn't help. He'll just argue something that isn't.
Posted before refreshing the page. I see what you mean lol ><
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-14 21:09:04
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

There is a difference.

If someone asked you how fast you were going, you could say 10ms^-1. You could also say it takes you 1 second to do 10m, so 1/10 of a second for 1m, so 0.1sm^-1. This is analogous to attack speed and delay.

If we were to represent a relationship between these two, we could simply show them as being inversely proportional to each other (x = k/y) and then use whichever of the forms is most useful. Sound familiar?

If I said something like "I can do 50 metres!!" it doesn't even make sense in the context of the discussion.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-05-14 21:12:03
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
The graph is correct in the fact that it illustrates delay's effect on attack speed. Delay is influenced by haste. As i've said at least 5x by now, decreasing delay nets exponential returns.
edit
 Kujata.Houshisama
By Kujata.Houshisama 2010-05-14 21:12:06
Link | Citer | R

maybe if i phrased it like this you will see you are wrong.

TAKE THE WHOLE EQUATION DURING HASTE

(attacks per original delay)APOD = delay/x (x is new delay after haste)

now if haste only affects delay linearly, then thats fine, it can be true.

but if we look at APOD, it rises exponentially as haste goes up. and not at the same return per haste point. going from 1-2% isnt NEARLY as big as going from 98-99%

can you ignore that part of the equation for damage done over time? NO.

SERIOUSLY HOW CAN YOU IGNORE THIS DISCREPANCY
 Ragnarok.Kyoshin
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: HaseAkira
By Ragnarok.Kyoshin 2010-05-14 21:30:39
Link | Citer | R

Most of us only care about haste in regards to weapon delay as it is.
 Cerberus.Saiya
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2010-05-14 22:10:55
Link | Citer | R

I can't believe this argument has been going on for 14 pages when you're simply arguing semantics.

You could say that "Haste in FFXI is exponential" is an FFXI colloquialism. When people are talking about adding haste to a DD for TP'ing, they're doing it to have a higher rate of attack. For each % of haste you add, your benefit will be greater than that which the previous % granted.

So "Haste when used for melee DD provides an exponential increment in swings over a given time" can be condensed into "Haste is exponential".

The intent in the phrase is the same, and anyone who cares knows what the person is talking about. So why the forum tantrum over a negligible difference in expression? You've been basically agreeing with each other for several pages, and where's the sense in that?
 Ragnarok.Faiye
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-05-14 22:19:55
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Hourshisama... You're like the third person to have posted that. We've already discussed it. Point and case is that haste lowers delay, delay increases attack speed. The exponential factor here is delay's influence over the rate of attacks. Haste is purely linear with both spells and delay.
No ***. Congratulations, you can state ***nobody cares about. We've yet to disagree with you on that, now go away.

Faiye: If you really wanted to be correct about something that mattered, you'd point out that only one input is increasing. As it is, you're just trolling and thus not worth the effort.

Moron, nobody is trying to disprove the relative rate of return in damage over time is getting less (DA) or increasing (Haste). The point is THOSE RELATIONSHIP AND THE WAY YOU'RE USING THE VARIABLES IN QUESTION DO NOT FALL INTO THE DEFINITION OF DECREASING RETURNS (for DA) OR EXPONENTIAL RETURNS (for Haste). And while we're at it alot of people are using increasing returns and exponential increase interchangeably, they are not necessarily the same thing.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-14 22:46:17
Link | Citer | R

I got that, but you're the idiot here since you're trying to show we're "wrong" (which doesn't really matter since it's informal terminology) through an invalid point.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-05-14 23:09:55
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I got that, but you're the idiot here since you're trying to show we're "wrong" (which doesn't really matter since it's informal terminology) through an invalid point.

Yes, I'm the idiot because I'm trying to explain correct terminology and economic principles and how people use them in the real world. Take "double attack is diminishing returns" and "haste is exponential" to any economics professor or classroom and they will laugh you out the door. But come to a FFXI forum and argue that those terms are being applied incorrectly and you get legions of ignorant uneducated morons saying:

1) Its semantics
2) We're not in a formal classroom, we don't have to follow their rules.
3) Who the f*ck cares about the correct definitions? We only care about our damage output.
4) Haste is terrrrrrrrific!!
5) You're a troll, GTFO.

Sorry, but I think I'll stick with my classroom definitions.

Odin.Lowblow
Serveur: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-05-14 23:10:44
Link | Citer | R

My quote isnt working but i have a question.

"Phen, haste stacks. We all know this. Thus its not calculated as 1%, then another 1%, then another 1%... It's calculated as 3%. If haste didnt stack that way, and was calculated the way you said then haste would have less return per 1% added at 25 than it did at 10%."

was said by Duvessa.

Is this true? BEcause i was told Double attack works by adding 1% of a remaining %. like..

1 % = 1 % chance. so 99 % not to double atk. Add another 1% double attack and its 1 % of the remaining 99% thus having less effect the more you add.

So who says haste isnt the same? or that either work that way.
Does anyone know the actual answer?
 Caitsith.Linear
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-05-14 23:17:51
Link | Citer | R

The number of swings will go up linearly. The damage resulting from the additional swing in comparison to a previous addition of DA+ will be less though, because the newest addition has a less chance to proc compared to the previous one.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-05-14 23:18:34
Link | Citer | R

It doesn't work that way. If you add 1% double attack to the original 1% then it is calculated as 2% double attack.
 Odin.Lowblow
Serveur: Odin
user: sKe7ch
By Odin.Lowblow 2010-05-14 23:19:58
Link | Citer | R

Ive heard compeltely different faiye.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-05-14 23:21:31
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Linear said:
The number of swings will go up linearly. The damage resulting from the additional swing in comparison to a previous addition of DA will be less though, because the newest addition has a less chance to proc compared to the previous one.

No the relative percentage increase in Damage-Over-Time goes down because you are comparing a fixed increase of Double Attack to a larger and larger base damage figure.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 16 17 18