Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 135 136 137 ... 363 364 365
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2017-07-24 13:49:47
Link | Citer | R

Inc personal attacks and *** measuring, take cover!
By Blazed1979 2017-07-24 13:59:24
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

safe image upload
[+]
 Leviathan.Vedder
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-24 14:07:47
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Austar said: »
rather have a monk than catastrophe spamming dark.
Feel like this is a pointed attack, since I do main apoc in various circumstances. I know you're on my server but no idea who you are though I do respect the knowledge and advice shown on these forums, do tell?
 Odin.Drakenv
Serveur: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-07-24 14:23:16
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
The power is too thick I mean great!
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-07-24 14:28:11
Link | Citer | R

I'm
Confused!!! You rather have a hitting melee with no aoe boost and needing heals next to a drk that can heal+give itself haste and afterglow effect with others plus darkness skillchains? Explain the logic not the jelly!
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-07-24 14:36:32
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Vedder said: »
Feel like this is a pointed attack, since I do main apoc in various circumstances. I know you're on my server but no idea who you are though I do respect the knowledge and advice shown on these forums, do tell?
not a personal attack at anyone. monk does comparable damage to catastrophe only dark under the same conditions. monk set isn't optimized and used azagarths sets from his thread with hq ratri for ws.

By Blazed1979 2017-07-24 15:02:50
Link | Citer | R

not a personal attack at anyone. monk does comparable damage to catastrophe only dark under the same conditions. monk set isn't optimized and used azagarths sets from his thread with hq ratri for ws.

So DRK using one of its weaker RME's, which is basically its go-to option when there's no healer, or when soloing, is the equivalent of MNK's top DPS options, but DRK can heal itself, haste itself, sleep enemies, wear a ***ton of -dt gear, increase its HP for more than mantra, for longer, and you think that in some twilight zone is a + for MNK?

Not to mention as /SAM it can pop Seigan + Third eye which is far superior to lolperfect counter.

Hey, I am/was a die hard MNK for years. I was running donuts on KRT in O-hat pling people for gil when MNK wasn't a thing. butlol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-24 15:03:11
Link | Citer | R

Ah, see ill only use cata if soul is up
+need for heals or I need it for scing.
I generally spam cross whenever I can for damage or ill try 3-4stepping and use cata for doubling down on darkness
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-07-24 15:12:00
Link | Citer | R

Prime, what is that feathered centaur thing in your profile pic anyways I always wanted to ask?
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-07-24 15:12:13
Link | Citer | R

monk gear isn't close to optimized, in fact wearing dt rings in that set, dt sets aren't exclusive to dark. no impetus or footwork, both have after math up full time as well as hasso. neither are optimized fully but monk doesn't have as many conditions for its survivability as dark. and like i said, its vs literally spamming catastrophe. obviously better options are going to be better.
By Blazed1979 2017-07-24 15:14:54
Link | Citer | R

Then why would you rather have a MNK than a DRK spamming catastrophe?
That MNK is going to need cures. The DRK isn't.
The DRK has a lot of crowd control. The MNK doesn't.
The DRK has many more SC options.
And when its time to zerg, the DRK can either switch weapons or use other weapon skills.

I don't get it.

Anyways, not to derail a MNK thread. Going to ignore these comparisons for now and get back to wish-list for MNK.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-07-24 15:17:41
Link | Citer | R

Prime, what is that feathered centaur thing in your profile pic anyways I always wanted to ask?
Sagittarius Gold Saint Cloth.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2017-07-24 15:28:23
Link | Citer | R

Everyone knows this is the best one

[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2017-07-24 15:51:26
Link | Citer | R

Blazed1979 said: »

The safest DDs are the ones that kill it fastest.
MNK being the weakest DD is the least safe.

no, last stand spamming rng are still a thing, it's safer than war/drk/sam and it kill much much slower.

mnk should be between blu and war/sam/drk that alone would make mnk worth bringing to stuff.

We all know it won't happen anyway and mnk will stay as it is till smn get nerfed !
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-24 16:39:16
Link | Citer | R

If any MNKs come out of this drought being *** to other jobs, they have learned nothing and don't deserve any buffs given.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-07-24 16:42:46
Link | Citer | R

if mnks get buffed i'm going to go to the nearest basketball court and dunk on some middle schoolers
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-07-24 17:58:35
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
if mnks get buffed i'm going to go to the nearest basketball court and dunk on some middle schoolers
Lol
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-24 18:37:11
Link | Citer | R

monk gear isn't close to optimized, in fact wearing dt rings in that set, dt sets aren't exclusive to dark. no impetus or footwork, both have after math up full time as well as hasso. neither are optimized fully but monk doesn't have as many conditions for its survivability as dark. and like i said, its vs literally spamming catastrophe. obviously better options are going to be better.

That backpedal....
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-07-24 18:46:17
Link | Citer | R

no it isn't.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-07-24 18:58:33
Link | Citer | R

cata drk and mnk are both in terrible places, the point was that if people are willing to accept cata drk instead of considering it a wasted slot they could probably afford to do the same for mnk

and mnk has better survivability than cata drk, if we're being honest here, not like whm has ever had an issue with mp and single target cures are a waste of casttime
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2017-07-24 19:17:54
Link | Citer | R

...Apocalypse is a defensive weapon.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-07-24 19:33:20
Link | Citer | R

...MNK is a defensive job.

To be clear, I stand by my original standpoint that MNK needs it's DPS somewhere in between BLU and WAR to be where it belongs. However, for whatever reason this apoc vs MNK discussion started.. I'm firmly on MNK's side. Catastrophe affords very little additional survivability and is actually prone to destroying your WHMs MP. Any good WHM recognizes that DD taking relatively uniform, but not lethal, damage is the ideal condition for creating free curagas and easily maintaining a party.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-24 21:25:50
Link | Citer | R

Survivability.... That depends on what you're talking about. If you mean "who lives the longest when everyone else dies", it's drk and monk isn't close. Especially in stuff like omen where they have utility beyond their weapon. Monk does not offer that. Besides catastrophe, there's a few drains, seigan+3eye, and dread spikes from a huge max hp bonus that dark can rely on. You can't really just compare cata drk to monk without listing what else it can do. Chakra, dodge, and counters don't come close to the defensive utility of dark Knight with apocalypse.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-24 23:42:04
Link | Citer | R

To get away from MNK DRK talk...

I'm sort of interested in Spharai these days... depending on how these MNK adjustments turn out, might just commit to making them (pre-update I just can't justify dedicating an RME to MNK). Any thoughts on Spharai in the current game and whether they are worth it?

AF119+3 kick shoes seem to be even more beneficial for a Spharai user (the extra KA from easily maintained relic AM). I don't scoff at atk+60 on the weapon, I'm not always with enough buffs to be perma-attack capped like some people here assume is the standard assumption (similar situation I run into with Kikoku on NIN, where I really enjoy the atk and aftermath a lot of the time). I'm also seeing them Spharai show up pretty competitive when compared to Godhands.

I'm totally uninterested in making Vere/Glanz, just don't want to suffer through the process and higher cost. So am I crazy to be eyeing Spharai?
By Blazed1979 2017-07-25 00:30:49
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
...MNK is a defensive job.
No, no - we aren't re-inventing history here dude.
If anything, WAR is a defensive job. That's the slot it was intended to fill. It is the origina tank.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-07-25 01:28:12
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
So am I crazy to be eyeing Spharai?
Why not just Godhands though?
 Leviathan.Nitenichi
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2017-07-25 05:48:56
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
So am I crazy to be eyeing Spharai?
Why not just Godhands though?

Honestly I have had better results with Spharai. DOT and WS avg all are higher, currently making Verethragna to see overall. Either way, Weaponskill adjustments have to happen before Glanz though. That's one hell of a commitment of time, which pretty much only have the weekend to do so.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-07-25 06:05:37
Link | Citer | R

About Spharai beating Godhands I'm not sure about it.
Final Heaven sucks. Well... more than most other H2H WS do let's say lol.

Spharai has the nice occasional triple damage and the huge attack boost but also has 10 less base damage and 26 more delay, plus no STP.

Sure the TPbonus +500 won't do much for Victory Smite, but it's gonna be a pretty noticeable difference on WSs like Howling Fist (which is what you should be using when you're pretty far from attack cap, since I assume you're talking about situations where that att+60 on Spharai would matter).

I personally love Spharai for other reasons but unless someone already has I'm not sure it's the weapon I would suggest to be creating from zero to a MNK that asks suggestions for which weapons to make.
Sure Relics are so cheap to make (well, the 75 stage I mean) but with all that gil you could buy so many other things. HQ accessories which go for 100-300 mils each, or HQ Moonbow Belt or even just pay for a plethora of AF+3 upgrades for all your jobs, because nobody is MNK-Onry these days.
Not sure on your servers guys but here on Asura getting a single piece from +1 to +3 can be ~10 mils gil each.

Multiply that for all the pieces you want for all your jobs and it can become quite a considerable tax on your wallet.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-25 08:51:39
Link | Citer | R

It's really too early to make any kind of judgement. After the update, everything could be turned upside down! Or it could be the same... Or worse.

I did party with a JP MNK that had Spharai, Ver and Godhands in Omen, once. I was only invited to come because the JP group needed a GEO. Anyway, this was when Omen was still new, and the MNK died a lot. But his strategy was to use Spharai while weakened, Ver if he could build TP prior to a mid-boss or boss and Godhands the majority of the time.
It was interesting to see someone put that much thought into their weapons.

I think Spharai are cool, but Final Heaven is as bad as it has ever been. However if a player has a really poor WS Set for Victory Smite, then it hardly matters if they use FH once for Aftermath. The 60 Attk is great, especially as new gear is only providing Acc. The additional Counter is watered down by gifts, but it is still cool to have. Additional kicks from Aftermath probably free a user to put STP on their cape rather than DA... I don't know.
I think Godhands is by far the safest bet--Assuming someone doesn't need to buy them and they have the gear to really push MNK up from total garbage to sad joke status. Regardless of the changes made to MNK, higher base DMG, low delay, STP and TP Bonus are going to work well together. There is always TP overflow, so it isn't unreasonable to get the 25% critical rate bonus over the 10% 1k TP bonus on Victory Smite a fair number of times.

But, I guess my point is, Spharai seem designed to strengthen the melee phase of MNK. If gear, amnesia, wife aggro prevent you from worthwhile weapon skilling, then they might be the strongest option. Right now, all of these weapons are very close to each other. So close, that anything could tip a parse to favor one over the other.

But I would wait before spending any gil on Spharai. Maybe buy/stockpile plutons while they cheap, but see what the update holds before turning them in?
First Page 2 3 ... 135 136 137 ... 363 364 365