Did Ff16 Flop?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Did ff16 flop?
Did ff16 flop?
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 23
 Bismarck.Ferthe
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: erth
By Bismarck.Ferthe 2024-01-17 00:21:32
Link | Citer | R

A bit late to chime in, I suppose...

But I found that the gameplay loop for 16 falls into a rut fairly early on and never leaves it.

The items are supremely uninteresting and may as well not exist.

The voice acting is fine and the story isn't bad, the spectacle creep is next level, and on the whole it's just a really long movie that you can pretend to play along to.

You can think it is good, but you won't convince me it is actually a game.
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-01-17 02:25:01
Link | Citer | R

Zehira said: »
Asura.Thunderjet said: »
We did not have a MODREN TURN BASED GAME Since Lost odyssey, I mean not those LOW BUDGET RPGS Big budget RPGS, Hell if you own a XBOX go play Lost odyssey its a Turn based XBOX game by Sekiguchi that is more enjoyable than 13 15 and 16 combined with 2008 Graphics and it has alot more endgame content than 13 15 and 16 combined,

A good example of why big-budget turn-based games couldn't survive during the Xbox 360 vs PS3 console war was because Japanese people refused to buy Microsoft products. They realized they had lost the battle against the $2+ trillion company Microsoft. We are lucky to see more low-budget turn-based games with plenty of cute little anime girls anyway. Sakaguchi has stated he isn't interested in making a sequel to Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, or The Last Story after all three titles failed to meet sales expectations.
His games were in the wrong consoles and there was no rereleases on steam, or pc versions. Even funtaisia. Xbox was loaded with fps and action games and ppl got it for that. Also didint xbox just sell like 5000 or 50000 in japan? Iam talking about 360 the original console for lost odyessy not the later xbox’s
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
user: Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 03:05:38
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Stephenjd said: »
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. It's what brings me back to 11 often even though I know how flawed it is as a game and the lack of support for it now.

How many times have you replayed a final fantasy its def not the nostalgia, We did not have a MODREN TURN BASED GAME Since Lost odyssey, I mean not those LOW BUDGET RPGS Big budget RPGS, Hell if you own a XBOX go play Lost odyssey its a Turn based XBOX game by Sekiguchi that is more enjoyable than 13 15 and 16 combined with 2008 Graphics and it has alot more endgame content than 13 15 and 16 combined,

Also for the Gay Scene IT IS OUT OF PLACE we did not have any BACKSTORY TO THAT POINT Why are they love what is going on?

Nostalgia does factor in and liking what you are familiar with. It's why FF7 gets so much attention and is in the middle of being remade, because it was a lot of people's first FF. Some of the old FF games have some serious flaws and are a product of their time. FF2 and 5 especially were very middle of the road for me. It's why die hard Zelda fans complained so much about there not being traditional dungeons in BoTW even though BoTW is an insanely good game. Pokemon changed it's gameplay for Arceus (which wasn't a spinoff) and changed to be open world as of the most current 2 games.

Dragon Quest XI had a big enough budget, technically making 3 games and Baldur's Gate 3 certainly had a big budget with 450 people working on the game and a 6 year development time.

That scene wasn't out of place any more than any other romance scene in any other FF game, the dialog made it quite clear their relationship. You're just getting weird about it because it's 2 dudes kissing.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Dodik 2024-01-17 07:14:49
Link | Citer | R

Jury's still out given it is a PS5 exclusive for now.
 Cerberus.Balloon
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2024-01-17 07:47:29
Link | Citer | R

Also for the Gay Scene IT IS OUT OF PLACE we did not have any BACKSTORY TO THAT POINT Why are they love what is going on?

The first time we meet Titan and Garuda she *** mounts him in the hallway. I don't see the same criticisms for that despite it being heaps more explicit.

Why would we need an exposition dump telling you someone is gay? It's normal. That scene establishes their relationship. It's not different than with the straight characters.
[+]
By Zehira 2024-01-17 09:00:30
Link | Citer | R

Zehira said: »
We did not have a MODREN TURN BASED GAME Since Lost odyssey, I mean not those LOW BUDGET RPGS Big budget RPGS, Hell if you own a XBOX go play Lost odyssey its a Turn based XBOX game by Sekiguchi that is more enjoyable than 13 15 and 16 combined with 2008 Graphics and it has alot more endgame content than 13 15 and 16 combined,

A good example of why big-budget turn-based games couldn't survive during the Xbox 360 vs PS3 console war was because Japanese people refused to buy Microsoft products. They realized they had lost the battle against the $2+ trillion company Microsoft. We are lucky to see more low-budget turn-based games with plenty of cute little anime girls anyway. Sakaguchi has stated he isn't interested in making a sequel to Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, or The Last Story after all three titles failed to meet sales expectations.
His games were in the wrong consoles and there was no rereleases on steam, or pc versions. Even funtaisia. Xbox was loaded with fps and action games and ppl got it for that. Also didint xbox just sell like 5000 or 50000 in japan? Iam talking about 360 the original console for lost odyessy not the later xbox’s

Fantasian PC port might happen.

https://steamdb.info/app/2524970/

(Xbox 360 sold a million in Japan.)
By RadialArcana 2024-01-17 10:33:14
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Balloon said: »

The first time we meet Titan and Garuda she *** mounts him in the hallway. I don't see the same criticisms for that despite it being heaps more explicit.

Why would we need an exposition dump telling you someone is gay? It's normal. That scene establishes their relationship. It's not different than with the straight characters.

The scene with titan and garuda is cringe asf, especially the pointless language and especially since it's a FF game. Again though it was made to be GoT lite.
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 10:57:11
Link | Citer | R

Pointless language? Like people don't swear and cuss hundreds of times daily.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-01-17 11:02:18
Link | Citer | R

Its out of place. Just swearing to swear like a 7 year old. So edgy.

Adds nothing and subtracts from the pool of available players for zero gain.
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 11:07:27
Link | Citer | R

A lot of adults swear basically every sentence. It's how a lot of people talk in the UK.

People don't just swear when they hurt themselves or are angry lol.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-17 11:09:41
Link | Citer | R

The swearing would be acceptable if it was in a text box of a turn based JRPG.
[+]
By Zehira 2024-01-17 11:19:48
Link | Citer | R

I enjoyed Barret and Cid swearing in the original FF7. Very Americanized.

(I don't have a PS5 to play FF16 though.)
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-01-17 11:31:04
Link | Citer | R

It's been a minute but I'm pretty sure 7 only had the B tier swears. ***damn hell. And the A tier stuff was !@#$%^&*

And of course no VA, spoken *** different than a written *** you just glance over it.
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2024-01-17 11:41:49
Link | Citer | R

While I have not played 16 (and based on info here, not interested) it sounds like many chars swear often in this game (correct me if I’m wrong). In FF7 there was swearing but it was only from certain characters which lends to understanding those characters better.
By RadialArcana 2024-01-17 11:50:18
Link | Citer | R

Pointless language? Like people don't swear and cuss hundreds of times daily.

This is a piece of entertainment you pay for, not random people living their lives. People fart every day too, don't mean I want Gardua to walk in and start farting. To be clear, nobody minds swearing, nudity or whatever but it has to fit and be done well.

If I buy Duke Nukem I know what I'm going to get and I want that. If I buy a FF game I have different expectations and I expect them to carry it out with some finesse, not "eyup C**k!".

When you have a game in a franchise you have expectations of it and you buy it because you "know what you're going to get", when they go wildly outside of those expectations they are gonna annoy people who bought the game based on those expectations and effectively had their trust betrayed.

The main goal of a corporation like Square Enix is to make brand zombies, and this goes against that and they have now alienated a large portion of their fanbase. Now many people will be far less likely to pre-order the new FF game, or buy without seeing reviews. This is the biggest failing of ff16, they have hurt the brand profitability going forward in a large portion of their fanbase. They are going to have to go all in on ff17 to go back to what "FF is supposed to be" to rebuild that trust now.

Imagine Bethesda make Skyrim 2 and it's a fortnite clone (even if it's a good one), do you think people would feel cheated and angry? They bought it thinking they knew what they were going to get and also now they have to wait 5+ years for another Bethesda game.
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 12:01:12
Link | Citer | R

Carry it with some finesse? Omg hahahaha.

And alienated a large amount of the fanbase? Oh come on now... It's the same as the Pokémon fans who say they won't buy the next Pokémon game because of all the bugs and everything and go and buy it anyway.

If Skyrim 2 was a good game, regardless of what it was I think people would be happy after the car crash that was Starfield. And saying if Skyrim 2 was like Fortnite is nothing like FF and FF16 at all. We've been moving away from 'traditional' FF for many, many years now.
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-01-17 12:13:30
Link | Citer | R

Are you on SE's payroll or something? 113 posts, and over 80 of them are directly defending SE's products or intellectual property rights. People swear every day in some circles, but other circles don't. Plenty of people still consider foul language to be foul and dislike media that uses it in place of creating depth(same goes for nudity).
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 12:15:40
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Are you on SE's payroll or something? 113 posts, and over 80 of them are directly defending SE's products or intellectual property rights.

When you have no argument just call someone a shill!

Sorry for enjoying things sometimes, I know that's not allowed here. Also maybe if you look at my posts I've criticised XI plenty and hate what SE have done to the game, hence why I deactivated my sub.

Also what else is there to discuss on this forum right now? Why did the private server threads and this thread get so many posts so fast from a lot of people?
By Viciouss 2024-01-17 12:20:04
Link | Citer | R

FF7R Part 2 comes out next month. Expect that "large alienated fanbase" to scoop that game up on Day 1. Oh and DawnTrail comes out later this year. Again, expect that "huge alienated fanbase" to buy it Day 1. And with 14 coming to Xbox, 2024 is going to be a great year for Square Enix. But we already knew that. We knew that non-expansion years are going to see less profits than expansion years. Some people just like to pretend otherwise because the internet needs trolls.

FF16 didn't damage the brand one bit. It was fine. You play through it once, you're done. Maybe check out the DLC when and if it comes out.
 Shiva.Thorny
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-01-17 12:24:15
Link | Citer | R

For that matter, you don't need to use words that are currently considered distasteful in polite company to distinguish a character as edgy, either. Plenty of media, especially in high fantasy, manages to use terms like 'bloody' and accentuate the impact of them via the response of other characters, rather than relying on the viewer receiving a direct impact.

I didn't personally consider the language to be a major detractor in this game, but it is certainly unappealing to see HBO leaking into FF.
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 12:26:51
Link | Citer | R

SE and other developers even have games that either recently came out or are coming out that will scratch the pixel art, turn based, no swearing itch that some have.

Buy them, vote with your wallet. I bought Sea of Stars and Octopath on Switch and they are both good games.

Edit: With regards to language, royalty swear, politicians swear, it's awkward to hear irl too.

Hearing Tidus go HAHAHAHAHAHAHA or any cringe dialog from past FF games is not an improvement on that and the dialog quality of FF in general isn't known to be of a standard to say it has any real finesse.
By Viciouss 2024-01-17 12:31:37
Link | Citer | R

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. It's what brings me back to 11 often even though I know how flawed it is as a game and the lack of support for it now.

How many times have you replayed a final fantasy its def not the nostalgia, We did not have a MODREN TURN BASED GAME Since Lost odyssey, I mean not those LOW BUDGET RPGS Big budget RPGS, Hell if you own a XBOX go play Lost odyssey its a Turn based XBOX game by Sekiguchi that is more enjoyable than 13 15 and 16 combined with 2008 Graphics and it has alot more endgame content than 13 15 and 16 combined,

What is this? What's with the all caps? If you want a modern turn based game, Persona 5 Royal says hello. It will take you over 100 hours to get through. Persona 3 remake/remaster comes out in about two weeks, go check it out.
By Zehira 2024-01-17 12:34:56
Link | Citer | R

There would be less problems if SE stops sucking Sony's @&!# for money.

PersonA) Have you played FF16? It's amazing!

PersonB) No PC version yet.

Same goes for FF7: Rebirth. We have to wait a year or maybe two if EGS makes a deal. Capitalism.
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 12:38:14
Link | Citer | R

Yep exclusivity sucks, I would like to have both games on steam asap.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-17 12:39:10
Link | Citer | R

A wise man once said
EVERYBODY HAS A PRICE MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
By RadialArcana 2024-01-17 13:21:31
Link | Citer | R

Exclusivity doesn't matter anywhere near as much as some pretend it does.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-17 13:40:55
Link | Citer | R

FF7R sold 3.5 when it was ps4 exclusive and the latest reports are over 7 mil.

Who knows how much of that is discounted purchases or the exclusivity window expiring though. VG insights is reporting 817k purchases on steam.

Quote:
Horizon: Zero Dawn has sold 2,398,000 on PC in about a year and a half, while God Of War (2018) has sold 971,000 units on PC in just two and a half months and Days Gone has sold 852,000 units on PC in about 10 months. The figures are as of March 2022.
https://www.vgchartz.com/article/453759/playstation-reveals-pc-sales-for-god-of-war-horizon-zero-dawn-and-days-gone/
These were all Sony exclusives, sooo take that as you will.
By RadialArcana 2024-01-17 13:51:32
Link | Citer | R

The point is it doesn't matter, most FF fans own a playstation and PC owners will just wait and buy it when it comes out as they do with FF7R or GTA5-6 or whatever.

The problem with 16 wasn't really sales, it was reception. If your fanbase is divided and it's divisive, you blew it because these are people who want to love your game.
 Ragnarok.Bepe
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2024-01-17 13:59:28
Link | Citer | R

I have some friends who only buy games when they go on discount, especially after the hike in price from $59.99 to $69.99 for most games now. The funny thing is, you own the game less now, even with the higher price. You buy a game from the gamestore on disk, and you still need to download the game. What's the point of the disk then? But guess what, you can't play that game without putting the disk in now... so what's the point of the download!? Do you even own the game anymore?

There are a lot of mixed thoughts on how modern gaming is handled.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 23