Please Open If Horizon Had A $1 Monthly Fee Again

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » HorizonXI » Please open If Horizon had a $1 monthly fee again
Please open If Horizon had a $1 monthly fee again
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21
By Draylo 2023-11-30 16:52:08
Link | Citer | R

Absolute trash, and unreal. Taking credit for other peoples hard efforts and labor. People have no respect these days for great works of art! It's such a shame people literally want to convince themselves that this is the real game lol. Trying to persuade people away from retail to join this cult instead. Can't be a true fan if you consider this the "Real experience".
[+]
 Asura.Gweivyth
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: gweiv
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-11-30 16:56:22
Link | Citer | R

the legend has entered the chat
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-30 17:00:03
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
HorizonXI is neither modern nor classic FFXI. It's someone's handcrafted Bizarro FFXI with a weird cult following that goes around and preaches about it in every comment section of every YouTube video or social media post. I've never seen any other private server community do that.

We'd ignore it if we were allowed to. We wouldn't bat an eye at it if it wasn't a disgusting perversion of other peoples' efforts.

So... your saying Horizon is Scientology... makes a weird kind of sense...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Casey
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2023-11-30 17:01:21
Link | Citer | R

It's truly over for horizon, how could they have done this... Not one but TWO logos were edited.

Square Enix will never financially recover, how will Nobuo Uematsu and Koji Kondo get their ¥0 payments of residuals...
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-30 17:15:08
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Gweivyth said: »
People who play classic play it because they want a different experience than what retail has to offer, that group of folks is never a group you were gonna get onto retail again anyways.

Suddenly there were a LOT of people who hadn't seen or thought about FFXI in years who were like "Whoa wait a minute I should go try that out again!" Considering that their peak player count was something like 4.5k, how many of those people do you think eventually resubbed to retail and played again?

I'd just like to point out that the same person said both of these quotes.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-30 17:15:49
Link | Citer | R

Kipling said: »
Why does this sub forum exist? Look at the ads on the side of the website and that’s all the answer you need. Anything to drive traffic. Going to guess the number of FFXI players who are older and don’t know how to use an ad blocker is pretty high.

It’s certainly not because any of us “private server people” asked for it. I honestly didn’t know people still used these forums until recently.

Cute conspiracy and all but there are no ads on forum pages
[+]
By Kipling 2023-11-30 17:22:54
Link | Citer | R

Poor argument because there’s ads on the main page and many people likely navigate from the main page through a bookmark or history. More reason to load that main page = more views. It’s not complicated. Unlike these supposed “Horizon ads” which no one has been able to ever produce evidence of, you can go see them right now on this website.
 Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-11-30 17:26:48
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
People who play classic play it because they want a different experience than what retail has to offer, that group of folks is never a group you were gonna get onto retail again anyways.

Suddenly there were a LOT of people who hadn't seen or thought about FFXI in years who were like "Whoa wait a minute I should go try that out again!" Considering that their peak player count was something like 4.5k, how many of those people do you think eventually resubbed to retail and played again?

I'd just like to point out that the same person said both of these quotes.
Yeah man, it's called taking someone else's point and actually considering the information they have presented. That's me conceding that you may be right about a little bit of bleedover. Just because I didn't believe your argument was in good faith doesn't mean that it may not have had some validity to it. Keep in mind that I don't really have a dog in this fight, though.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-30 17:26:57
Link | Citer | R

Poor argument because there’s ads on the main page and many people likely navigate from the main page through a bookmark or history. More reason to load that main page = more views. It’s not complicated. Unlike these supposed “Horizon ads” which no one has been able to ever produce evidence of, you can go see them right now on this website.

I'm not sure how much you think 2 ads run on the homepage would make per click but it isn't enough to put up with morons like you fulltime, I can assure you.

Back as far as this forum has existed the admins have had trouble going neutral or positive via ad revenue. When there were 10x the posters, better ad rates from google, and ads were run on every page. The traffic coming in from your toadies and goons ain't ***so don't flatter yourself.
[+]
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Terlet Sangria 2023-11-30 17:33:54
Link | Citer | R

Aw man, I go to take my kid to get his hair cut and the party starts without me. Rude!

Asura.Sensarity said: »
3/5 threads closed
ffxiah is a very toxic place to people who just want to enjoy classic
Two of those went on for a while and got closed when they had wandered WAY off topic and into "harassing individuals" which is always a thread's death sentence. The third was explicitly about buying accounts. None of those closures had anything to do with private servers, the same would have happened if they'd been about retail.

It’s certainly not because any of us “private server people” asked for it.
My brother in Promathia, that is exactly who asked for it

Look at the ads on the side of the website and that’s all the answer you need. Anything to drive traffic. Going to guess the number of FFXI players who are older and don’t know how to use an ad blocker is pretty high.
Okay this is stupid for a bunch of reasons, but the big one being - as I pointed out to you when you came mewling to me in PMs - we don't serve ads on forum pages. Also, the idea of anything surviving on standard banner ads in the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty three is some hilarious ***. It pays pennies. If you want anything from ads, it's the big modal ***, which we won't do. (Even those pay for ***, honestly.)

Also, "drive traffic". To what *** end, man? We don't make money on ads, at least no appreciable amount (and again, not on forum pages), and I don't get paid at all. What possible motivation is there for me to make the moderators do extra work around here? That's not rhetorical, by the way. I am genuinely curious what *** masterstroke you think I'm cooking up over here

Zehira said: »
I see no need for this subforum honestly.
As I've said, more than once - a private server player asked Scragg for it, and he said sure. That's why it's here. It's not a conspiracy. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to say they have to post here. No one's getting paid for it. (I mean, Homsar might, and good for him. Secure the bag, big fella)

Odin.Senaki said: »
I’m proud to say the thread I opened isn’t locked.
TARGET ACQUIRED
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Serveur: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-11-30 17:38:31
Link | Citer | R

Terlet Sangria said: »

Odin.Senaki said: »
I’m proud to say the thread I opened isn’t locked.
TARGET ACQUIRED

BRUH
[+]
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2023-11-30 17:50:19
Link | Citer | R

It’s certainly not because any of us “private server people” asked for it.
My brother in Promathia, that is exactly who asked for it

Zehira said: »
I see no need for this subforum honestly.
As I've said, more than once - a private server player asked Scragg for it, and he said sure. That's why it's here. It's not a conspiracy. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to say they have to post here. No one's getting paid for it. (I mean, Homsar might, and good for him. Secure the bag, big fella)

I don't really care if this exists or not, but if people asked for it then where are they? There has been one legitimate thread and the others have all been trolling. If the existence of these subforums is causing moderators to step into nearly every thread due to the shitstorm they cause, and there is little to no good-faith discussion, is their existence still justified?
[+]
By Nariont 2023-11-30 17:52:44
Link | Citer | R

If they dont do it here, they'll just have to lock others when it goes off-topic elsewhere instead, since the topic just cant seem to die
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-30 17:56:02
Link | Citer | R

I for one have greatly enjoyed the bounty of entertainment being given by these Horizon threads. Almost more fun than playing the game itself. Watching room temperature IQ takes being thrown back and forth is truly a marvel of modern communications technology and I'm here for it.

And it beats the 5th iteration of whatever stupid *** Sortie thread we'd have instead.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Casey
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2023-11-30 17:59:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Hya said: »
I don't really care if this exists or not, but if people asked for it then where are they?
They're probably people here specifically to shitpost about horizon and not actually discuss anything. Eden and catseye subforums are both empty at the moment. I don't think anyone reasonably would want to have a private server subforum for a website whose sole function only works on the retail game.
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
By Drama Torama 2023-11-30 17:59:14
Link | Citer | R

if people asked for it then where are they?
That's actually a fantastic question and I have a very funny story about it that I unfortunately cannot share :(

If the existence of these subforums is causing moderators to step into nearly every thread due to the shitstorm they cause, and there is little to no good-faith discussion, is their existence still justified?
Three things, here:

First, as I am sure people are sick of hearing me say, I think the AH forums should reflect the reality of FFXI in 2023 - which does include private servers. I wouldn't have added this subsection of my own accord but now that they're here, it's fine with me. Not talking about them doesn't make them go away.

Secondly, there are people who come here looking to get back into FFXI who really don't want to play the modern game. I don't quite get it, but those people _are_ real, and private servers do scratch an itch for them, and if they can get some guidance here, even if it's just about the available options, then that's still serving our community, even if it's a bit of roundabout way.

And third, there actually WAS some good faith discussion. It got drowned out eventually, but early on in those threads there was actual debate. If the signal:noise stays like crap forever then yeah maybe I go tell Scragg that the experiment didn't work and we gotta close this section down. It's still an option; I just want to see what this looks like after the initial gold rush of *** wears off. Like, Windower/Ashita discussion used to get pretty heated here, but it was so long ago that no one remembers. But eventually the new normal became normal and now it's just part of the culture like anything else.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-30 18:00:43
Link | Citer | R

Unlike these supposed “Horizon ads” which no one has been able to ever produce evidence of, you can go see them right now on this website.

Might want to talk to this guy about what he knows:

It wasn't until Horizon came along and did a BOATLOAD of marketing via YouTube, Facebook, Google Ads and other avenues that the private server scene really saw any sort of meaningful growth in size.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-11-30 18:01:24
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »
That's actually a fantastic question and I have a very funny story about it that I unfortunately cannot share :(
[+]
By Draylo 2023-11-30 18:09:24
Link | Citer | R

Personally, I don't think those people are part of the "community." If retail goes down, this site just would not exist. It would not bring enough traffic (even now it probably doesn't) to justify its existence, most would leave. I see these people as a complete detriment to retail in all aspects, there is literally 0 gain in having them around. You can see for yourself what they think of most retail players. This Kipling insinuating we are all boomers who are mouth breathers clicking ads like some old grandma. There are no available options, only retail. Anything else is not Final Fantasy XI, but of course that is my opinion.

It was entertaining but ultimately they are just not a benefit so hopefully it doesn't cause too many problems for people who have to deal with it. I already see the future and eventually most will be topic banned from this section but surely it will just fade away by that point.

As far as the no advertisements, you would have to be the most gullible person in the world to believe that.

Literal millionare who is known for his weird obsessions with 75 era FFXI (even tho he probably barely played it, although I'll give him props for mentioning XI in interviews etc) confirming he supported said server. Literally have the most random people who look like they wouldn't touch XI a day in their lives, streaming that server and pretending to be having so much fun (most of them don't play anymore, what a coincidence. I wish I saved the links to their streams, its like AI generated "streamer" to promote something). Just the simple fact alone that this private server managed to gain that following/numbers when literally every single one before it had barely broke 1k consistently, for over a decade. Just use ya noodles.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2023-11-30 18:13:15
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »
It was fone wasnt it? who requested the section be added, trolling us from the grave...
[+]
 Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-11-30 18:14:05
Link | Citer | R

Unlike these supposed “Horizon ads” which no one has been able to ever produce evidence of, you can go see them right now on this website.

It wasn't until Horizon came along and did a BOATLOAD of marketing via YouTube, Facebook, Google Ads and other avenues that the private server scene really saw any sort of meaningful growth in size.
You don't even have to specifically ask me, go to any YouTube comment section, there's literally posts all over the place from earlier this year and late last year where you can tell it's just people trying to ramp up Horizon. People were even commenting that stuff on MY videos about XI, which is hysterical if you know even a little bit about my relationship to that server, lol.

It was so bad for a while I was fairly confident it was just bots, and there's no way I'm the only one who noticed it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-30 18:14:55
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
It would not bring enough traffic (even now it probably doesn't) to justify its existence, most would leave.

From what I'm to understand, the forum is and always has been (Scragg has mentioned it, years and years ago) a small portion of the site's traffic. Majority of people just use the database and AH features and don't even engage w/ the forum (and I have nothing to prove this but I'd guess most people "using" the forum aren't here to post or even come into threads like this, they go to information megathreads and job guides).

So you're probably right about when retail shuts down, XIAH has no real reason to exist. But rn it still serves its primary function.
[+]
Administrator
Serveur: Exodus
By Putin On'the'ritz 2023-11-30 18:19:50
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
a small portion of the site's traffic
The exact ratio varies, but 80/20 site only/forum users is about right. It was 90/10 or even more skewed for a long time, but as the player base has whittled down, the frequent poster crowd turned out to be less likely to leave. Again, though: still a pretty small piece of the pie.

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
boo.gif
IT'S NOT MY STORY TO SHARE, I AM SORRY

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
fone
I'm sure there are funnier answers to the question but I can't think of one
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2023-11-30 18:29:37
Link | Citer | R

You guys need to see the light. Horizons warmth will fill you with joy. Cast down the shackles of retail, the grip of sortie... the pain of v25 oddy. Come to the fields were the sun hits everyone. Our savior aerec is Supreme. A god amongst men. The legend of legends. His tale on how he created a this game from scratch that looks and feels like ffxi out of thin air is omnipotent. A musician who took the stale ffxi sounds and gave them... life

You peasents annoying me. I hit 31 rdm now. I feel so powerful... god bless horizon
[+]
By Draylo 2023-11-30 18:33:34
Link | Citer | R

You don't even have to specifically ask me, go to any YouTube comment section, there's literally posts all over the place from earlier this year and late last year where you can tell it's just people trying to ramp up Horizon. People were even commenting that stuff on MY videos about XI, which is hysterical if you know even a little bit about my relationship to that server, lol.

It was so bad for a while I was fairly confident it was just bots, and there's no way I'm the only one who noticed it.

I saw it everywhere, it was most def like paid ad bots.
Administrator
Serveur: Excalibur
By Idiot Boy 2023-11-30 18:40:45
Link | Citer | R

Also, for the record: all the nonsense around this section has definitely had one effect retail players can be happy about. All of the discussion really hit my nostalgia button (I've logged in to retail a bit, still haven't decided how much I'm gonna play) and more importantly, got me motivated to start fixing things around here again*.

Sales rates are fixed for me locally and I hope to get them deployed this weekend, so if anyone has something in particular you want me to address, strike while the iron's hot, friendos.

[+]
By Manque 2023-11-30 18:49:28
Link | Citer | R

Idiot Boy said: »
Also, for the record: all the nonsense around this section has definitely had one effect retail players can be happy about. All of the discussion really hit my nostalgia button (I've logged in to retail a bit, still haven't decided how much I'm gonna play) and more importantly, got me motivated to start fixing things around here again*.

Sales rates are fixed for me locally and I hope to get them deployed this weekend, so if anyone has something in particular you want me to address, strike while the iron's hot, friendos.

Big thank you from the community Rooks!
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-11-30 18:50:57
Link | Citer | R

Something in particular you want me to address, strike while the iron's hot, friendos.

Figure out a fix for the shoutbox!
By Draylo 2023-11-30 18:51:46
Link | Citer | R

All of the discussion really hit my nostalgia button (I've logged in to retail a bit, still haven't decided how much I'm gonna play) and more importantly, got me motivated to start fixing things around here again*.

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21