Controller Dual Input Issue

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Help » Controller Dual Input Issue
Controller Dual Input Issue
First Page 2
By Helba 2023-09-26 04:27:27
Link | Citer | R

I've been having some troubles playing with ds4 controller, I hope someone here can assist me with this particular issue...
So... it seems almost everytime I press the confirmation button it randomly does a double input, always clicking twice on stuff is making me a little crazy. I've searched on google for a fix for this, searched the XIAH forum as well for info but could not find anything that would help me specifically with this =/
If this particular topic has already been addressed previously on another thread I apologize for creating another topic on this, I'm a little desperate trying to have this fixed so I can play normally.
Things of note:
This double input issue only happens with FFXI, all other games are fine;
I'm not using steam while playing;
I'm not using ds4windows or other similar applications;
Yes, I am using Windower4;

IF someone here uses controller for playing and had had this issue before and fixed it, I would very much like to know how.
cheers~
By Helba 2023-09-26 04:31:47
Link | Citer | R

Errr... I've posted on the wrong thread sorry. This was supposed to be on the technical support threads... =/

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Helba 2023-09-26 04:50:31
Link | Citer | R

I have only one controller on windows atm

Post deleted by User.
By Helba 2023-09-26 04:59:55
Link | Citer | R

kuroki said: »
do other buttons do the same thing? like for menus or macros?

Nope. Just the confirmation button, does not matter btw if it's binded to X/A or O/B. It will do dual input randomly regardless of the gamepad binding.

Post deleted by User.
By Helba 2023-09-26 05:10:37
Link | Citer | R

in the ffxi config > gamepad is enable xinput checked?

No, Xinput is disabled along with enable gamepad when game is inactive.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Frod
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Frod 2023-09-26 05:27:06
Link | Citer | R

shut down steam.
By Helba 2023-09-26 05:28:29
Link | Citer | R

try enabling it and see what happens, i've had unrelated problems with playstation controllers and ffxi when not using xinput.

I have xinput off because of other unfixed problems... With Xinput the bindings of the gamepad gets completly mixed up. LB is d-pad right, RB is dpad left, start is R3 button etc... Can't even use or configure the keybinds for D-pad with xinput, will test Xinput out, but I won't be able to use d-pad properly...
By Helba 2023-09-26 05:28:59
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Frod said: »
shut down steam.

I am not using steam, as stated above.
By Helba 2023-09-26 05:34:32
Link | Citer | R

Yup, Xinput is a mess. Does not work properly. D-pads do not work and I can't bind them at all, also some inputs are literally mixed even when I change them... O/B is doing d-pad down intead of cancel. Not the solution unfortunaly.

Post deleted by User.
By Helba 2023-09-26 05:55:48
Link | Citer | R

i ended up getting a cheap xinput generic controller because i got tired of dealing with stuff like that. worth the $20 to me and no problems since then.

Buying another controller would be the last resort, as I'm unsure if that will resolve the problem. Or if it does resolve it... it might end up doing some other random issue, I don't know, it would be the last thing I would do if all else fails. =/
 Phoenix.Iocus
Serveur: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-09-26 06:29:02
Link | Citer | R

I've been using playstation controllers for like 10+ years. If you don't use a mapper, it's kinda crap. I didn't have double inputs that I remember, so I'm not sure if this will solve your problem.

For a mapper, I use JoyToKey. I went a couple years before I bought a license so you can try it out free.

It handles all the buttons except the touch pad correctly. That's just one big button. Option, Share, PS button, L3, and R3 in addition can be remapped. You can also designate short press and long press among other features to have extra 'buttons'.
[+]
 Siren.Dekoda
Serveur: Siren
user: Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2023-09-26 09:08:27
Link | Citer | R

I never had success with DS4 plug and play. I would sometimes get missed, double, or delayed inputs. You may have better luck using a mapper, as said. I have had most success using a DS3 w/ official drivers, which is my preferred gamepad. Logitech gamepads have also worked fine for me.
By Dodik 2023-09-26 09:18:42
Link | Citer | R

Yes, can also try xbox360 gamepad emulator, it's free. You really need xinput, the others are a PIA to get working if at all.
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-09-26 09:41:43
Link | Citer | R

To get xinput to work properly you need to copy over xinput from one of the other folders. Or replace it with a working xinput dll if you are in the us

Generally ds4 or PlayStation controller users use direct input, I could be wrong on this as I have not used a PlayStation controller in some time.

Xinput is the way to go when you decide to replace your equipment.

Are you using any add-ons that may interact with inputs like the xivcrossbar?

I would circle back to ds4's config
By Helba 2023-09-26 10:07:59
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
To get xinput to work properly you need to copy over xinput from one of the other folders. Or replace it with a working xinput dll if you are in the us

Generally ds4 or PlayStation controller users use direct input, I could be wrong on this as I have not used a PlayStation controller in some time.

Xinput is the way to go when you decide to replace your equipment.

Are you using any add-ons that may interact with inputs like the xivcrossbar?

I would circle back to ds4's config

I'm using some addons, but I don't think any of them actualy interacts with inputs. I know of xivcrossbar but I do not use it.
About this xinput file to copy over, where do I find it, and where do I paste it? Is it on the FFXI folder or PlayOnline folder? And which directory should I paste it? (also, I'm not in the US is that a problem? =/ )
Sorry lots of questions... I'm not good with technical stuff, but I'll work on all of the replies above and see what happens, maybe one of them is the solution, thankyou.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-26 10:10:59
Link | Citer | R

XInput and DirectInput are different methods used by the controller to send your button presses to the PC. A DS4 (or any playstation controller) will only send DirectInput. This means that you cannot use or benefit from XInput unless you have a proxy, such as ds4windows.

A proxy sits in the middle, it hides the directinput data and creates a fake xinput device to broadcast xinput data to. By using a proxy, your directinput controller can be recognized by games as an xinput controller.

Generally, FFXI players have found directinput to be unreliable and used proxies, such as ds4windows, to get the best results. Nothing you do with the xinput dll will help you unless you also configure a proxy.
[+]
By Helba 2023-09-26 10:17:15
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
XInput and DirectInput are different methods used by the controller to send your button presses to the PC. A DS4 (or any playstation controller) will only send DirectInput. This means that you cannot use or benefit from XInput unless you have a proxy, such as ds4windows.

A proxy sits in the middle, it hides the directinput data and creates a fake xinput device to broadcast xinput data to. By using a proxy, your directinput controller can be recognized by games as an xinput controller.

Generally, FFXI players have found directinput to be unreliable and used proxies, such as ds4windows, to get the best results. Nothing you do with the xinput dll will help you unless you also configure a proxy.

I get the gist of it, but how would I be able to configure that said proxy? What would I need, a mapper app or something like that? Or something else?
 Fenrir.Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-09-26 10:34:13
Link | Citer | R

If you are using the xinput flag the default dll in the folder toolsus appears to be cursed.

To make xinput things work with the xpinput flag I had to replace this with the Japanese xinput dll from just tools
[+]
By Helba 2023-09-26 10:40:38
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Jinxs said: »
If you are using the xinput flag the default dll in the folder toolsus appears to be cursed.

To make xinput things work with the xpinput flag I had to replace this with the Japanese xinput dll from just tools

I think I remember about deleting those xinput dll files from the tools folders on a previous attempt to resolve this issue a few weeks ago from a reedit thread about this same issue. But I have a backup of those folders.
and yes, the xinput on toolsus is indeed cursed that's why I've deleted lol
By Helba 2023-09-26 14:14:03
Link | Citer | R

I've been testing for a while one of the solutions brought here.
I installed HidHide application and while it disabled completly DirectInput I've managed to use ds4windows to get the controller recognized by FFXI. The double input still happens but, only while using fastCS add-on for some reason, and only when interacting with NPC's and cutscenes with that add-on active. But with Menu selection and Battle I've not noticed, so far, a double click issue like I have been experiencing before.
I'm going to keep testing later tonight, to see if the issue still persists after I logout and login again. And to try to make this work with fastCS add-on as well. But so far, so good.
 Fenrir.Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-09-26 14:44:28
Link | Citer | R

It's important to define the double input

I recently found while using fastcs and another addon
I would frequently double dpad

I did not however double enter or escape etc

My solution was just to add more exclusions to fastcs
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-09-27 05:58:46
Link | Citer | R

It sounds like your controller is briefly reporting the button as released during a press, and because FFXI polls the controller every frame, a higher framerate is more likely to catch the false release and see it as being pressed again the following frame.
By Helba 2023-09-27 07:02:24
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
It sounds like your controller is briefly reporting the button as released during a press, and because FFXI polls the controller every frame, a higher framerate is more likely to catch the false release and see it as being pressed again the following frame.

That is basically what's been happening. Is there any fix for this on higher frames that you can think of? I've noticed as well that Frame Rate Divisor command on 60fps also worsens the situation...
Not sure what I can do to make this work for higher framerates =/
By Dodik 2023-09-27 07:20:09
Link | Citer | R

This happens on keyboard presses too if you unlock framerate. There is no "fix", it's just how the game works.

I play with controller on 60fps and no real issues with button presses.
First Page 2