Random Politics & Religion #18

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #18
Random Politics & Religion #18
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 65 66 67

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-19 10:44:45
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Define "supporting". The popular vote is meaningless, so there is no way to prove your statement.

Aren't you a statistician? A 130 million sample size should be more than enough.

*Deep breath*

I'm trying to not be condescending here, so I'm just going to say this: That's not how sampling works. Not even close.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2017-01-19 10:50:30
Link | Citer | R

Define "supporting". The popular vote is meaningless, so there is no way to prove your statement.

Aren't you a statistician? A 130 million sample size should be more than enough.

*Deep breath*

I'm trying to not be condescending here, so I'm just going to say this: That's not how sampling works. Not even close.

FFXIAH official motto !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-19 10:52:24
Link | Citer | R

I understand, but I don't think it's possible to get data more accurate than this for such a massive population.
If you want to fudge the numbers that is.

A better way to determine how much of the population supports a candidate would be to take each individual county results, allocate support based by the winning %, and then crunch the numbers that way.

Or better yet, enforce mandatory voting. You can get 100% accuracy if you get 100% results.
By Viciouss 2017-01-19 10:56:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Viciouss said: »
They are both investigating whether or not anyone from the campaign staff had contact with the Russians during the election season.
Wasn't that already disproven? That the Buzzfeed source was not only false, but practically created by 4chan. The staff member in question already shown that, at the time of the alleged Russian contact, he was at a baseball game in California.

Besides, these investigations are public record. Where's your source?

No, it wasn't disproven at all. Its not facts I don't like no matter how much Trump says it it.
As I said, the Senate investigation hasn't started yet, it has just been announced.
FBI investigations aren't public record.
By fonewear 2017-01-19 10:57:48
Link | Citer | R

Doesn't anyone here even know what the word fake means ? I'm starting got think they don't !
By fonewear 2017-01-19 10:58:39
Link | Citer | R

I mean I know what fake boobs are so I just translate that to news.

Fake: An exaggeration of truth to get men to buy me expensive things...correct ?
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-01-19 10:59:45
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »

Fake: An exaggeration of truth to get men to buy me expensive things...correct ?
"They're coming to take our guns!"

Pretty much, Fone. Pretty much.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-19 11:00:13
Link | Citer | R

I understand, but I don't think it's possible to get data more accurate than this for such a massive population.

No. That is not correct. Since we're just talking candidate support, a well-crafted poll of 1,000 people (or even less) could give more accurate data than an election with 100+ million voters. The former can be controlled so that the results are scientific and statistically sound (although, to be fair, the pollsters have sucked lately because apparently they're idiots). The latter is a sample that with an unimaginably high number of confounding variables that completely invalidate any conclusions, especially in an election where the difference is a few percentage points.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-01-19 11:01:32
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »

I'd like to seem them try:

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2017-01-19 12:16:02
Link | Citer | R

I changed my FB profile pic to Betsy DeVos. It's been amazing today.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-01-19 12:24:47
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I just find one thing here appalling. For months some of you guys have been insisting you hated Trump, you were only voting for him cause you thought it was the lesser of two evils, that you were so not his supporters.

So why are you all knighting it up for him? I see those same posters defending this man at any turn no matter what.

Oh please, don't even. I've been posting in these threads for around 5 years now, and I can't count the number of times from the Left that I've heard something along the lines of, "There are plenty of things wrong with Obama, they just aren't the things you guys are mentioning."

Well guess what? There are plenty of things wrong with Trump. Unlike with Obama where many (not all) of the arguments against him had some substance, we're dealing with a media deluge of literally made-up stories about him and his cabinet picks that nobody can back up with any real evidence beyond the circumstantial kind. So instead of looking at actual policies, we're stuck defending the pompous blowhard from sensationalist, false, clickbait drivel.
So label everything as facts I don't like that way nothing is indefensible. Remember when the Russian hack was facts I don't like? When several of his campaign statements were "jokes" and taking his words at face value was only for liberals who didn't get him?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-19 12:37:04
Link | Citer | R

No. That is not correct. Since we're just talking candidate support, a well-crafted poll of 1,000 people (or even less) could give more accurate data than an election with 100+ million voters. The former can be controlled so that the results are scientific and statistically sound (although, to be fair, the pollsters have sucked lately because apparently they're idiots). The latter is a sample that with an unimaginably high number of confounding variables that completely invalidate any conclusions, especially in an election where the difference is a few percentage points.

Point taken, I wrongly assumed it could function as a sample. Thanks, but that's troublesome if the pollsters also suck heh.

Yeah, the problem is that polls often involve a mixture of scientific and non-scientific techniques to get their results. If the initial assumptions are off, the entire poll's results are off. It can be a complicated mess and it's harder than it looks, but my beef with pollsters recently is that they made some really dumb, simple mistakes (such as basing their weighting/oversampling off of the 2012 election results).

At any rate, any conclusions we can make about which side has a majority of support are, well, dubious at best. You would think the favorable/unfavorable polls would be a better indicator, but those are all over the place too. It's quite irritating.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-19 12:46:24
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I just find one thing here appalling. For months some of you guys have been insisting you hated Trump, you were only voting for him cause you thought it was the lesser of two evils, that you were so not his supporters.

So why are you all knighting it up for him? I see those same posters defending this man at any turn no matter what.

Oh please, don't even. I've been posting in these threads for around 5 years now, and I can't count the number of times from the Left that I've heard something along the lines of, "There are plenty of things wrong with Obama, they just aren't the things you guys are mentioning."

Well guess what? There are plenty of things wrong with Trump. Unlike with Obama where many (not all) of the arguments against him had some substance, we're dealing with a media deluge of literally made-up stories about him and his cabinet picks that nobody can back up with any real evidence beyond the circumstantial kind. So instead of looking at actual policies, we're stuck defending the pompous blowhard from sensationalist, false, clickbait drivel.
So label everything as facts I don't like that way nothing is indefensible. Remember when the Russian hack was facts I don't like? When several of his campaign statements were "jokes" and taking his words at face value was only for liberals who didn't get him?

The media made the bed, now they have to lie in it. They created the opening for Trump to exploit their lack of credibility because they incited the initial public mistrust. "The Boy who Cried Wolf" is a lesson in sociology that they clearly still don't get. Why should we take them seriously now?
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-01-19 12:51:28
Link | Citer | R

What made up stories are we complaining about now?
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2017-01-19 12:53:01
Link | Citer | R

If everyone's a rapist, racist, homophobe, and xenophobe, then no one is.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-19 12:57:55
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Given Perry's past feelings on the DoE; it's not far fetched that a conversation about the functions of DoE occurred where misunderstandings were expressed.

Well, I'm glad we're judging these picks based on what is or what isn't far-fetched instead what's, you know, provable.

Well Perry has admitted he had a misunderstandings and McKeena (source in question) was also an advisor on Perry's 2016 president campaign.

Has Perry come out and said nope that's not true? Haven't seen it yet

Only people sayings not true are pundits and the facts I don't like decriers who have harangued Internet forums and social media sites with respect to every thing they don't want to accept or agree with.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-01-19 13:00:58
Link | Citer | R

Ugh posting from a phone :(
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2017-01-19 13:19:43
Link | Citer | R

Obama came out before the bodies were cold in every applicable shooting and pushed for more gun control. I really don't understand how anyone can rationally say the idea that he wanted to take our guns away wasn't on full display.
By Viciouss 2017-01-19 13:22:52
Link | Citer | R

It was always obvious he wanted to prevent the wrong people from acquiring guns. It was never about breaking your door down and seizing your guns. Nice try tho.
By Ramyrez 2017-01-19 13:40:49
Link | Citer | R

All I know is that I'm pro-gun ownership.

And even I can't abide the *** NRA (the actual organization. Misguided members notwithstanding).

Fearmongers sticking their nose into matters entirely unrelated. The whole lot of them.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2017-01-19 14:00:54
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Now, does it change the fact a lot more Americans voted for Clinton? No? That's what I thought. Yes, Trump won the electoral college and that's fair for America as a whole, I'm not arguing that at all.
Who cares? Again, California should have a voice in who is elected, but they shouldn't be the voice.
Texas is a pretty enormous state population wise too... besides there was only a difference of about 3 million voters between Texas and California regardless of the 12 million more people in California... how is it, in your mind, that California controls the popular vote? Hell... Florida has over 9million votes too...
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2017-01-19 14:04:51
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Obama came out before the bodies were cold in every applicable shooting and pushed for more gun control. I really don't understand how anyone can rationally say the idea that he wanted to take our guns away wasn't on full display.
Gun control not take away everyone's guns... it's not that difficult to understand... limiting the types and size of clips... and for as much as you say obama ones out before the bodies are cold gun manufacturers and pro gun people use it as a chance to push forward their objective at the same time... you don't seem to have a problem with pushing an agenda so it must just be your misunderstanding in that you think obamas coming to take everyone's guns away... you probably think there are no liberals out there that own guns either....
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2017-01-19 14:38:46
Link | Citer | R

Viciouss said: »
It was always obvious he wanted to prevent the wrong people from acquiring guns. It was never about breaking your door down and seizing your guns. Nice try tho.

That's not reality, not in the least. He wanted an assault weapons ban, and most terrifyingly he wanted to establish health care decorum where doctors had to ask about their patient's gun ownership and establish the rules for denying gun rights through some loose registry of mental illness.

Sure that's great if someone is genuinely crazy but there was nothing preventing the case of - oh you were on an antidepressant for 6 months 10 years ago, you no longer get to own a gun because you are unfit.

Besides he's commuted more gun criminals than what the past 12 presidents combined in his last days? You can't make any legitimate case that he cares about guns getting into the hands of the wrong people anymore.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-19 14:43:08
Link | Citer | R

You can't make any legitimate case that he cares about guns getting into the hands of the wrong people anymore.

Operation Fast and Furious is an even better example.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2017-01-19 14:44:16
Link | Citer | R

most terrifyingly
Lmao.
By Ramyrez 2017-01-19 14:45:34
Link | Citer | R

That's not reality, not in the least. He wanted an assault weapons ban, and most terrifyingly he wanted to establish health care decorum where doctors had to ask about their patient's gun ownership and establish the rules for denying gun rights through some loose registry of mental illness.

Is this the part where someone gives a statistic about how you're more likely to kill yourself than a criminal with your own handgun and you ignore it and say it's false?

Do you understand that those physician questions are NOT about taking guns away, but rather about monitoring people's safety and risk assessment?

If you're providing someone medications for depression or impulse control disorders, you want to be sure they're not going to off themselves.

Which given the statistics regarding gun deaths, is not really out of the question for a doctor who is tasked with trying to ensure your live as long as possible, healthy as possible.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-01-19 14:49:58
Link | Citer | R

most terrifyingly
Lmao.

Are you laughing at his rhetoric or his grammar? The word "most" can precede an adverb, and terrifyingly is a real word.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 65 66 67