Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 15614 15615 15616 ... 22580 22581 22582
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 11:20:04
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Btw I was talking to a biologist lol, so she couldn't even be directly offended by what I said.
yeah, weird...
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 11:20:31
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
Sociology
Communication science
Tourism science

Some of the most worthless that come to mind that we have here.

2/3 of those have actual broad uses if you apply them properly with other skills, but tourism science seems rather niche and kinda lol...

Tourism is a multi-billion dollar industry, especially someplace like Italy where fat, rich Americans go to see pretty scenery, visit rustic villages, and pig out on "real Italian food".*

*I'm assuming it's more than a glamorized tour guide, and it's someone who has to study and understand vacation trends, weather, potentialy geopolitical issues, aspects of psychology and sociology, and some degree of marketing and public relations.

Edit: I say this as someone who was strongly considered an on-board public/guest relations position for a major cruise line. It paid quite well to live on a cruise ship for nine months a year. Didn't do it because I couldn't stand to be away from my wife nearly that much.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 11:22:24
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
Quote:
I've ranted a time or two about they shouldn't have full degree status and such, waste of time/money etc...

Yet another instance where you prove that despite agreeing with you on some things, I can't even begin to take your thought process seriously.

You'd have to understand it to do so, and you'd be scared if you did, so you're fine.

Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-15 11:22:47
Link | Citer | R

2/3 of those have actual broad uses if you apply them properly with other skills, but tourism science seems rather niche and kinda lol...
If every year you get 300 new sociologists out of every university you can bet they're gonna have trouble finding a job. It's already pretty meh as it is, add the competition and how many are required...communication science? Yeah, I'm totally sure everyone who works on tv has that degree... [I don't like the sarcasm tag, it's hideous]
How many journalists does a country need per year?
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 11:23:26
Link | Citer | R

Sociology
Communication science
Tourism science

Tourism is a multi-billion dollar industry, especially someplace like Italy where fat, rich Americans go to see pretty scenery, visit rustic villages, and pig out on "real Italian food".*

*I'm assuming it's more than a glamorized tour guide, and it's someone who has to study and understand vacation trends, weather, potentialy geopolitical issues, aspects of psychology and sociology, and some degree of marketing and public relations.
Hence why I said rather niche instead of useless.
By volkom 2014-10-15 11:23:31
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Weakness said: »
That's pretty much how it is everywhere. IT degrees are quick employment as well.
You'd think.
Depends what your exp is/certs you have and location :/
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-15 11:24:59
Link | Citer | R

Graduates in informatics have it very rough too here. Not a field that gets you far(unless you're very lucky and get into some huge company, but most don't and just end up fixing people's viruses for a shitty pay).
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 11:25:01
Link | Citer | R

If every year you get 300 new sociologists out of every university you can bet they're gonna have trouble finding a job. It's already pretty meh as it is, add the competition and how many are required...communication science? Yeah, I'm totally sure everyone who works on tv has that degree... [I don't like the sarcasm tag, it's hideous]
How many journalists does a country need per year?

Like I said: applied with other skills, but them by themselves are kinda bland and you'd be hard pressed to find something decent.

I don't disagree with your point though, at all.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-10-15 11:25:44
Link | Citer | R

The US doesn't, at least. All their news channels show is entertainment, not real news. You'd just be miserable there lol.

I guess newspapers are a bit better but even those have their fair share of it.
By volkom 2014-10-15 11:26:15
Link | Citer | R

Sociology
Communication science
Tourism science

could probably do HR or customer service too
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 11:27:09
Link | Citer | R

Sociology
Communication science
Tourism science

Hence why I said rather niche instead of useless.

It was the attached "lol" portion.

Quote:
You'd have to understand it to do so, and you'd be scared if you did, so you're fine.

Your thought process on the topic is borderline Orwellian. "Whatever isn't forbidden is compulsory". Arts and literature and other "non-vital" topics aren't as valuable in your world as cold hard results that you can enumerate and make plot points on a spread sheet.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 11:27:19
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
That's pretty much how it is everywhere. IT degrees are quick employment as well.
You'd think.
bingo, I need to move but I've been avoiding it for a large list of reasons. I should do it for a few years though, until I can find something long-term here. I'll have the $ to seriously consider it in a week or two, just will have to plan out what to do with the kid, etc >.>
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 11:28:26
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
The US doesn't, at least. All their news channels show is entertainment, not real news. You'd just be miserable there lol.

I guess newspapers are a bit better but even those have their fair share of it.

Newspapers as such are dead, we just haven't pulled the plug on life support yet.

Internet news is the new way to go, and it's nearly as bad as the other forms of media these days.
By volkom 2014-10-15 11:28:37
Link | Citer | R

You'd think.
bingo, I need to move but I've been avoiding it for a large list of reasons. I should do it for a few years though, until I can find something long-term here. I'll have the $ to seriously consider it in a week or two, just will have to plan out what to do with the kid, etc >.>
if ebola doesn't kill the economy~ I know in Texas, Dallas is having a pretty huge IT boom. and its starting to be up there too here in atx
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 11:31:03
Link | Citer | R

Your thought process on the topic is borderline Orwellian. "Whatever isn't forbidden is compulsory". Arts and literature and other "non-vital" topics aren't as valuable in your world as cold hard results that you can enumerate and make plot points on a spread sheet.

I'm not saying they're worthless, but they shouldn't be held in the same regard/prestige or allowed the same funding as things that actually matter. With the trend of more and more grants and focus being put on STEM programs it seems the system agrees, at least part of it.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-15 11:33:36
Link | Citer | R

You'd think.
if ebola doesn't kill the economy~ I know in Texas, Dallas is having a pretty huge IT boom. and its starting to be up there too here in atx

*** that, not going anywhere near that place, and it has nothing to do with Ebola. I'll probably go up towards DC or the Beach, if another spot opens with the company I did work for probably the latter, if not I'll try to grab a gig in either DC or Richmond/surrounding. I'd expend all my student loan $ by getting a place and a car though...
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 11:35:30
Link | Citer | R

I'm not saying they're worthless, but they shouldn't be held in the same regard/prestige or allowed the same funding as things that actually matter. With the trend of more and more grants and focus being put on STEM programs it seems the system agrees, at least part of it.

The problem with STEM programs is that they're just trying to get more people into them. That's why they get grants and the like. Especially women in STEM programs.

Quote:
"as things that actually matter"

Yeah. Go to hell.
By volkom 2014-10-15 11:42:51
Link | Citer | R

stem programs are also popular mainly because how the industry is. More scientists to create theories and discover bits of the unknown with engineers applying theories to create technology and innovate how we live.

with liberal arts, hardly anything gets produced. besides a wide spectrum in quality of movies, young adult books and crap tv shows. Sure a cool academic discovery occurs once in a while but it doesn't benefit anyone for 10+ years as research and studies have to be done to learn more about it.

and liberal arts as a whole its almost looked down upon, like its the easy way to get a degree (at least where i went to school).
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-15 11:44:26
Link | Citer | R

Not easy as some curricula in liberal arts are quite heavy, but let's say you don't need to be a genius to graduate in one of those.

edit: not like there aren't idiots in science fields, but if they reach graduation they probably can count to 10
By volkom 2014-10-15 11:45:57
Link | Citer | R

well theres a lot of people who are academically smart but are a complete dunce when it comes to social interactions or common sense
[+]
 Odin.Minefield
Serveur: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-10-15 11:55:13
Link | Citer | R

Loving new Soraka c:
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-15 11:59:19
Link | Citer | R

Ladies with hooves...I'm going to go ahead and pass on that one.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-10-15 12:13:00
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-10-15 12:28:08
Link | Citer | R

Those "AHA!" moments.

Apparently ASUS had some secret adaptive voltage OC ***going on so it wasn't straight manual like I though. 4.6GHz at 1.1654V running Prime95 now for the past 20 minutes, hovering just below 60C. Much much happier with this. Idles were 25~30C, but I jumped right into testing.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-15 12:32:14
Link | Citer | R

You guys and your computers... *shakes head*
By Artemicion 2014-10-15 12:32:26
Link | Citer | R

I dunno, Draenei women can be pretty hot.

[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-10-15 12:33:26
Link | Citer | R

the "I'm not short, I'm just fun sized" elmo shirt is most disturbing
 Odin.Minefield
Serveur: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-10-15 12:33:34
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-10-15 12:33:40
Link | Citer | R

You guys and your computers... *shakes head*

Our toys don't vibrate sorry.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker