Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » To those who play FPS
To those who play FPS
First Page 2
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-02 00:32:15
Link | Citer | R

Okay well for awhile now, in FPS games you've had to play to unlock the higher weapons.. So I'm curious, do you find yourself playing the same FPS for an extended ammount of time just so you can unlock the weapons, or do you just really enjoy which ever game it is that you're playing?

I thought I might have just enjoyed the game I was playing, but it always seems about the time I unlock most (or even all) of the weapons, that I grow bored with it.. Just curious on others experiences.
 Kujata.Akeda
Serveur: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-02 01:08:40
Link | Citer | R

I usually just play for the game, not for the unlocks.

Maybe you're getting bored because you don't feel like you're working towards a goal once you unlock everything?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-02 01:13:01
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Akeda said:
I usually just play for the game, not for the unlocks.

Maybe you're getting bored because you don't feel like you're working towards a goal once you unlock everything?

Yeah that's my thinking, but I was curious if others felt this way as well.. I mean I start off loving the game, and playing the game for the game, but when I get to the point to where I've already gotten almost everything done (doesn't take long, so I'm less inclined to just attribute it to the game being over played, and FPS are where I get the most enjoyment out of games to begin with) I start wondering if I'm really playing just because I enjoy the gameplay, or if I'm just trying to tie up loose ends and finish unlocking everything.

Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-02 01:16:26
Link | Citer | R

It's fairly common, you're seeking a sense of accomplishment and perhaps even a little bit of an exploratory reward (Seeing new items and exploring their uses) in your games. It's not uncommon, and certainly not limited to just FPS, I mean, if I had a nickle for every person I knew who quit within a month of obtaining an FFXI relic with interesting quotes like "Well, now there's nothing left" I'd have at least Two-fiddy.

It's usually a sign that the games CORE MECHANICS do not appeal to you. My suggestion: find better games.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-05-02 01:21:10
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said:
It's fairly common, you're seeking a sense of accomplishment and perhaps even a little bit of an exploratory reward (Seeing new items and exploring their uses) in your games. It's not uncommon, and certainly not limited to just FPS, I mean, if I had a nickle for every person I knew who quit within a month of obtaining an FFXI relic with interesting quotes like "Well, now there's nothing left" I'd have at least Two-fiddy.

It's usually a sign that the games CORE MECHANICS do not appeal to you. My suggestion: find better games.

But they do appeal to me =/ that's the odd part.. I'm very critical over the games I choose, especially when it comes to FPS (to an outsider they may seem to be the same game/same mechanics, but to someone whose spent their entire online gaming career focused on FPS, we can tell the differences quite easily)

TBH, I don't know exactly what I'm looking for out of this thread, I guess I'm just looking to find out I'm not the only one that is just short of obsessed with a FPS for all of 2-3 weeks, declaring it one of the best you've ever played (which for me is true of any FPS I spend any ammount of time on, if I'm spending time on it, that means the game I played before just got trumped, and therefore the new one is ~the best~) and then when nearly everything's done, just not being able to stand playing another round.
 Kujata.Akeda
Serveur: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-02 01:28:02
Link | Citer | R

I haven't played much COD/BF:BC2 but I enjoyed Battlefield 2 and CounterStrike for just the gameplay.

MAG is pretty fun to play if you want to feel like you accomplished something. I've been playing it off and on and while it has some unlockable stuff, it's makes you feel like you've done more then just try to get the most kills per round.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-05-02 01:30:07
Link | Citer | R

Games are designed to be finite experiences. As a commercial art, gaming would be undone if the "Perfect" Game ever came out that never got old.
 Ifrit.Jurai
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-05-02 01:50:51
Link | Citer | R

Team Fortress Classic /endthread

I've played since '99- in leagues for matches- group vs group climbing the ladder!.. still fun to go on now and then and play. Love it! TF2 is good homage but nothing will ever be as good as TFC is for FPS pvp. All you Counter-Strike lovers just aren't good enough for TFC so you play that :P
[+]
 Valefor.Thioo
user: Thio
By Valefor.Thioo 2010-05-02 02:49:59
Link | Citer | R

I myself get into CoD and after a month or so playing it prestieging (sp) definitely gets old and very repetitive so now I get on every few months get my skill back at it then forget about it again >.>; I wanted the nuke achievements and after getting them got bored with it lol.

Valefor.Ryukuro
user: Ryukuro
By Valefor.Ryukuro 2010-05-02 02:59:41
Link | Citer | R

Spammed MW2 to get to 10th prestige, got there, now haven't played for a month lol =P
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-05-02 08:33:45
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Games are designed to be finite experiences. As a commercial art, gaming would be undone if the "Perfect" Game ever came out that never got old.
Unless it's an MMO, monthly fees FOOOREEEEVEEEERRRRR
By Zekko 2010-05-02 09:03:56
Link | Citer | R

I completed everything in MW2 about 3 months ago(every challange, every gun, every emblem and every prestige) I dont even play anymore.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-02 09:04:28
Link | Citer | R

I got bored of MW2 by 3rd Prestige, but I still enjoy it if I play with friends. All games get old.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-02 09:06:57
Link | Citer | R

I enjoy MW2 when it's not *** (read: Commando ***/Noobtube *** and the like). A lot of the good weapons are unlocked really early on (Famas, Scar, overpowered UMP, etc) so levelling is just a byproduct of my playing really.
 Caitsith.Alriath
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Alriath
By Caitsith.Alriath 2010-05-02 09:07:50
Link | Citer | R

Whoa, dun hate on mah Commando :(...
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-05-02 09:07:54
Link | Citer | R

i always find fps boring... my bro loves them.. he even he used to play in counterstrike competitions and ***... he was awesome at it..

fps can suck balls.. but instead they're busy locking on them or some ***...
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-02 09:08:57
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I enjoy MW2 when it's not *** (read: Commando ***/Noobtube *** and the like). A lot of the good weapons are unlocked really early on (Famas, Scar, overpowered UMP, etc) so levelling is just a byproduct of my playing really.

My win/loss turned to crap since I started rage quitting those games :<
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-02 09:16:14
Link | Citer | R

Haha, tell me about it. That and lag are the things which put me off the most (how the flying dickballs do you survive FIVE direct hits from my Intervention when all of them get hitmarkers RAGE)
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-02 09:18:37
Link | Citer | R

Dying one before harriers cause someone respawned behind you with painkiller is my most hated part of the game.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-02 09:21:19
Link | Citer | R

Replace that with "before nuke" and you have what has happened to me like eight times recently <_> Painkiller Commando = FUUUUUUUU
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-02 09:23:00
Link | Citer | R

lol ouch, I camp hardcore when I get close to nuke.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-05-02 09:25:22
Link | Citer | R

wow crap internet is a good excuse to sucking balls.. never heard that one before............
 Bismarck.Recaldy
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Recaldy
By Bismarck.Recaldy 2010-05-02 09:25:34
Link | Citer | R

Play for both. I unlocked mostly everything in Battlefield BC 2 and I still play it. Same with MW2 but that's x10 and I'm nowhere close to that. lol
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-02 09:27:04
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
wow crap internet is a good excuse to sucking balls.. never heard that one before............

Without dedicated servers, connection speed is a very important part of your performance :(

If I'm in a laggy game, it's pointless using single shot weapons like FAL or Intervention to me. Only the automatics seem to work and even then I am at a disadvantage.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-05-02 09:29:56
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:

Without dedicated servers, connection speed is a very important part of your performance :(

If I'm in a laggy game, it's pointless using single shot weapons like FAL or Intervention to me. Only the automatics seem to work and even then I am at a disadvantage.

Your prob not mine! FPS still suck teh balls

Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-02 09:30:28
Link | Citer | R

Lie! Reach beta! /excited
 Caitsith.Alriath
By Caitsith.Alriath 2010-05-02 09:32:09
Link | Citer | R

Jet packs go!
By Yuffy 2010-05-02 09:41:32
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Okay well for awhile now, in FPS games you've had to play to unlock the higher weapons.. So I'm curious, do you find yourself playing the same FPS for an extended ammount of time just so you can unlock the weapons, or do you just really enjoy which ever game it is that you're playing?

I thought I might have just enjoyed the game I was playing, but it always seems about the time I unlock most (or even all) of the weapons, that I grow bored with it.. Just curious on others experiences.
The only "FPS" that i played with this kind of system was CoD.
Real FPSs dont feature any weapon unlock so the game is ready to play off the bat to its full extent.

In my case, what i would call "console FPS" and which are in my standards inferiors (CoD, BF etc), i totally cant play these games for more than like 1-3months and its mainly because i play with friends. If it was alone, it wouldnt last past a week, no matter if i unlocked the whole game or the half.

For real FPSs such as CS (not CSS), Quake 3/4, UT 2K3/4 etc, i have been playing them for now 10 years and more. With or without friends, they have a gameplay and possibilities that far destroy "console FPSs".

These games are still around after years, like SFIII and CVS2 are to the fighting games.
CoD and BF2 would be things to compare to DOA or Tekken, it last 6months -> out.

Casual games tend to last 6months, real games tend to last decades.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-02 09:43:45
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Ryukuro said:
Spammed MW2 to get to 10th prestige, got there, now haven't played for a month lol =P

Ditto. Except it has been like 3 months for me, lol. I got 10th around Jan - I played all day every day during my winter break. Now that there are like 20 ways to boost, I'd just get accused of boosting if I were to play again. (that and MW2 is just mad easy...)

I currently play Bad Company 2. I just find it extremely fun. Constant chaos. It's pretty quiet when it comes to communication so I can blast music without having to worry about people trying to talk. It's super fun when you're in a squad of friends. I unlocked everything not too long after I got it day one since it's fairly easy to unlock stuff. I still play it just about every day. (just got Pokemon HeartGold so I've been on that non-stop)
 Caitsith.Alriath
By Caitsith.Alriath 2010-05-02 09:46:01
Link | Citer | R

Agreed yuffy, I can't even take CoD seriously when I play it atleast not from a competitive side. I wouldn't go as far as to say they're not real FPS's but they definitly lack tournament worth.
First Page 2