Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » MNK, Tropical Punches +1
MNK, Tropical Punches +1
Serveur: Remora
Game: FFXI
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-03 15:53:58
Link | Citer | R

I'm a big fan of the Tropical Punches +1. I feel like they are more consistent than other H2H. I feel like this consistency makes it easier for me to know my limits, especially since I tend to solo a lot. With the +0 delay, the non-stop flurry of Hundred Fists is awesome too.

I'm a level 32 MNK now and still using these. Does anybody else have any experience with these? What did you upgrade to and when?
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
Serveur: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2008-11-03 16:25:43
Link | Citer | R

Should have upgraded long ago. The lack of dmg on them hurts since base dmg is based on H2H skill, no dmg at lower levels like that will rly suffer. You should look into impact knuckles or boreas cesti for now.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-11-03 19:44:04
Link | Citer | R

I agree, the lack of the damage addition is more detrimental than the reduced delay.

Keep in mind that the damage and delay are not calculated like they are for other weapons, rather they are added to your native damage and delay of bare fists, augmented by the Martial Arts trait. If I remember right, the calculations are also per-fist, as opposed to being a single weapon.

The following gigantic URL should take you to an list of H2H with the highest DPS at the bottom. [DPS not taking into account anything other than Damage and Delay]
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_search.php?search_q=&description=&level[0]=1&level[1]=32&price[0]=&price[1]=&stock[0]=&stock[1]=&storage-slots[0]=&storage-slots[1]=&damage[0]=&damage[1]=&delay[0]=&delay[1]=&dps[0]=&dps[1]=&slots_any=any&races_any=any&jobs[]=4&weapon_id=1&fields[]=8&order[]=0&fields[]=0&order[]=0

I would side with Vegetto on the Impact Knuckles recommendation.
 Midgardsormr.Moomba
Serveur: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Moomba 2008-11-03 21:39:19
Link | Citer | R

Boreas Cesti are made of win.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Serveur: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2008-11-04 09:25:52
Link | Citer | R

you also have to worry about the flurry of TP you are feeding the mobs you are fighting. Is the added attack speed, which faster hits = fast mob TP accumulation (not that mobs your level have toooo bad of TP moves yet) and reduced damage you output as well -- worth it?

Look at a well equipped footwork MNK now. They attack very slow but insanely powerful while feeding mobs much less TP. MNK's actually have a role end game on nasty TP move HNM instead of chi only ^^ Find a good middle point that works well for you but remember you will need to adapt for certain fights later on.

And yeah, toss those TP+1's
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-04 14:29:46
Link | Citer | R

Thank you for the comments, guys!

MNK does have the Subtle Blow effect to reduce TP to mob and the Shoulder Tackle to stun/interrupt. It seems like weapon skills for mobs occur with somewhat predictable timing, after you've fought a few. It's still hard to use though.

Bekisa: Sorry for potentially being dense here, but what do you mean by a "footwork MNK"? I tried googling that phrase and it said it's a job ability, but I don't see any job abilities for Monk called Footwork?

Insanely powerful and less TP does sound sexy! Will try out the Impact Knuckles.
 Siren.Murdock
Serveur: Siren
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2008-11-04 14:51:53
Link | Citer | R

Moomba said:
Boreas Cesti are made of win.

I would suggest getting these, they will last you till level 50 when you can upgrade to CC's or TM Hooks+2.

Low delay added with a 100% addect effect proc makes these pure win.

Drops from the NM Tiger Kitata in Beaucedine Glacier @ H-10, lotto spawn of the 2 Tundra Tigers found around the tower.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Kirata
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2008-11-04 17:04:59
Link | Citer | R

While I'm limited on MNK lvls ( still using my Republic Knuckles at 28), I have known many a MNK. Even engaged to one ^^

Boreas and Impact have been the ones I was pointed towards when I get into the 30s
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2008-11-04 17:37:04
Link | Citer | R

footwork a level 60ish job trait just added recent. I've not seen much use from it including other mnks i know (wheres this insane dmg ?) at higher level there umm vesha cestis (sp) 0 delay and other stats good for striping shadows and spell interrupt(nins hate them). fast hits can be good to keep a mob from casting kinda a case by case choise if the extra tp will be bad. also u gonna pull more hate something keep in mind in a party.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2008-11-04 17:43:06
Link | Citer | R

oh and btw remember its your character u pay for it so play it how its fun for u. ( umm long u dont completely screw others doing it lol)
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2008-11-04 18:25:11
Link | Citer | R

Quote Bekisa: They attack very slow but insanely powerful while feeding mobs much less TP!

The Attacking Extreamly Slow= True
Attacking extreamly powerful= False

While footwork in effect+Dune boots You'll hit equal to destoryers both hands, Saying this you almost hit 3time's slower than without it foodwork is a great JA' But Best used Only when use'ing Ws's Like Dragon Kick, even nice add to Howling fist if u want the tp bonus!! Also remember while footwork in effect Destoryers Crit+6% does not take effect!! what truely Hurts MNKs Dmg out put!!

Anyway back to topic I Agree, Impact Knuckles or Boreas Cesti Untill Cross Counters, TM hooks(+1/+2)
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2008-11-04 23:47:30
Link | Citer | R

only time i seen footwork worth it is haste gear brd songs haste samba and mage haste stacked
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-11-05 06:45:41
Link | Citer | R

I'd keep your TP+1 for level sync parties, for the most part Impact will be better for exp mobs due to the defense and vit check vs your h2h skill and base dmg on weapon. A lot of low delay weapons are considered useless by some ppl that really aren't though just b/c they are stuck in the mind set that a mnk can only have haste/kick gear. While that works for an exp pt, when soloing later on some h2h like Vishnu's Cesti can be invaluable and are often forgotten. 48 delay can be the difference between a mage enemy getting his spell off or not which can be a lifesafer in that case. So my suggestion is if you like them for solo keep them but if you're only exping then they are just taking up space and can be sold to fund upgrading another piece or getting your next h2h.
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-05 10:50:03
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for all the good information guys!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [815 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-01-29 05:26:48
Link | Citer | R

BUMP.

Everyone should read this, and see just how far we've come, as a community of monks. Also see how friendly TW is.... :D Good ole days!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2011-02-01 09:58:11
Link | Citer | R

Nah, when there was that massive necrobump phase I think someone managed a 1000+ day necro.
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-02-01 10:00:57
Link | Citer | R

There was a craze? GDI, I thought I was being clever.