Charby question
First Page 2
 Alexander.Helder
Serveur: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-06 16:00:36
Link | Citer | R

Would a THF with 315 EVA be able to tank him with a RDM only?

brd not an option atm.
 Valefor.Ellise
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Ellise 2009-12-06 16:02:28
Link | Citer | R

I'm sure that it's possible, but it will be pretty challenging. No one else can lend a hand?
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-06 16:03:00
Link | Citer | R

atm I dont have anyone that would camp with me.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-06 16:11:02
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Helder said:
Would a THF with 315 EVA be able to tank him with a RDM only? brd not an option atm.
What is that combine skill and +evasion gear? If so um that is not really all that much. I'd have a hard enough time keep utsesmi up on a normal VT with that much evasion I think maybe IT. Well solo anyways
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-06 16:12:58
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Alexander.Helder said:
Would a THF with 315 EVA be able to tank him with a RDM only? brd not an option atm.
What is that combine skill and evasion gear? If so um that is not really all that much. I'd have a hard enough time keep utsesmi up on a normal VT with that much evasion I think maybe IT. Well solo anyways

not sure its a friend that has a thf but doesnt really play it cuz his gear is gimped.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-06 16:17:17
Link | Citer | R

Yeah unless you can evade most the hits charby will eat you alive. I've heard of dncs soloing so a rdm and thf should be able to but you'd need a a bit more evasion than that. Not really sure how much would have to talk to some of the people that low man it.

There is plenty of decent cheap evasion gear of thf if that is the problem and not uncapped evasion skill.
 Seraph.Corleonis
Serveur: Seraph
By Seraph.Corleonis 2009-12-06 16:21:00
Link | Citer | R

What other jobs does he have available? You don't NEED to blink tank it. I got mine as PLD + RDM, used a couple meds but was overall a simple fight.
[+]
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-06 16:21:39
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah unless you can evade most the hits charby will eat you alive. I've heard of dncs soloing so a rdm and thf should be able to but you'd need a a bit more evasion than that. Not really sure how much would have to talk to some of the people that low man it.

There is plenty of decent cheap evasion gear of thf if that is the problem and not uncapped evasion skill.

yea i know a few people that have done thf and rdm duo, but they actually play thf and have boxers mantle and gear like that.
 Fairy.Vylandra
Serveur: Fairy
user: Vylandra1
By Fairy.Vylandra 2009-12-06 16:21:40
Link | Citer | R

You honestly don't need that much evasion at all to tank charby with a rdm healer. Paralyze and slow with an ohat, SH, and a boxer's mantle should be more than enough to keep you alive with haste gear for timers.
 Alexander.Helder
By Alexander.Helder 2009-12-06 16:21:57
Link | Citer | R

Seraph.Corleonis said:
What other jobs does he have available? You don't NEED to blink tank it. I got mine as PLD RDM, used a couple meds but was overall a simple fight.

only rdm whm and thf.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-06 16:27:40
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Vylandra said:
You honestly don't need that much evasion at all to tank charby with a rdm healer. Paralyze and slow with an ohat, SH, and a boxer's mantle should be more than enough to keep you alive with haste gear for timers.
Should be? Cause that is just about all they have. Also might depend on how much haste gear they have for Ni.
 Remora.Sephirus
Serveur: Remora
user: Sephirus
By Remora.Sephirus 2009-12-06 16:28:16
Link | Citer | R

Well i already duoe´d him with me as NIN/WAR ( have 296 evasion skill) and a RDM/BLM friend, and the fight took 33 minutes =/

But direct to the point: yes you will, but be ready for a long fight.

PS: got my joy last month but did as nin/dnc (me), rdm/blm and a BRD and was pretty smooth the fight, took about 20 minutes.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-06 16:51:17
Link | Citer | R

Well if that is all the evasion you really need a decked out rdm should be able to evade enough to solo. Especially if they bat earring it up
 Alexander.Naraku
By Alexander.Naraku 2009-12-06 16:52:35
Link | Citer | R

I have dual boxed it as THF and RDM. Easy enough fight just keep enfeebles on (para, blind, slow, bio, poison). Have the RDM heal up mp while enfeebles are sticking and you are ok on HP.
 Shiva.Shabba
Serveur: Shiva
user: Shabba
By Shiva.Shabba 2009-12-06 17:16:56
Link | Citer | R

did this fight with RDM BRD & THF70(me), my evasion skill wasn't capped did this fight with a boxer mantle evasion torque and as body dragon harness....
was pretty easy really

just keep blind or blind 2 para 2 slow 2 on this i think it can be duoed easy.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-12-06 17:28:35
Link | Citer | R

Subtle Blow helps a LOT if you'll be DDing, iirc.
 Caitsith.Lerond
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Lerond
By Caitsith.Lerond 2009-12-06 17:32:40
Link | Citer | R

By saying you dont need much evasion at all they are meaning with a base skill of like A- and a few pieces of gear at least, rdm has 210 base skill so your going to be 60 evasion skill short of a nin with no gear, its just a bit too low sadly.

Bear in mind it attacks like a kclub so blinking it with fast cast wont work either, for rdm best bet would be rdm/blu (taco phalanx stoneskin cocoon and genbu shield with some shield skill+) to be a SATA / collaborator partner for your thf to make it a bit faster but they will need to bring eye drops for the blind the NM does.
[+]
 Leviathan.Marzanna
Serveur: Leviathan
user: marzanna
By Leviathan.Marzanna 2009-12-06 17:50:59
Link | Citer | R

THF dosen't need that much EVA+ to tank charby >_> Duod about 12 in a row, as THF/NIN + WHM/BLM way back when everyone on my friends list seemed to *need* one lol. They did have capped EVA skill. Eva torque, eva earring, SH, ungar, and o hat (turban wasn't even out back then) was about all they had EVA or EVA skill wise. Only meds I took were yag drinks, wouldn't really be needed now with /SCH, or RDM/WHM etc.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-12-06 18:13:30
Link | Citer | R

I was so lucky I had like 7 ppl help me. xD

I think I had 2 NINs, a WHM, RDM, BLM, PLD, BRD, I was SAM.

So you really can't get any other jobs to help though? :/ I would definitely think the RDM would run out of mp. Thats going to be a long fight.
 Fenrir.Retin
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Jeniffer
By Fenrir.Retin 2009-12-06 18:20:32
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Shabba said:
did this fight with RDM BRD & THF70(me), my evasion skill wasn't capped did this fight with a boxer mantle evasion torque and as body dragon harness....
was pretty easy really

just keep blind or blind 2 para 2 slow 2 on this i think it can be duoed easy.

Dragon harness at level 70, ya ya
 Leviathan.Marzanna
Serveur: Leviathan
user: marzanna
By Leviathan.Marzanna 2009-12-06 18:25:16
Link | Citer | R

They shouldn't be running out of mp >_> As I said I managed WHM/BLM so I don't see why a RDM should have issues with this. Fair enough if it was just once but we got about 12 drops by the end of that period (Inc one for me, when the closest I was to using it was 52 BRD lol). Not couting the 3 or so times he dc'd at <5% and got it stolen off of us T-T

As long as you have *some* EVA skill gear, doesn't have to be stacked into every slot, but this is just going from my personal experiences. The THF i duod with was imo quite good at tanking things on thf etc, as that's basically how we had to get anything we wanted lol :S As long as you're good with couting your shadows, I'd say its really no harder than 2 boxing Kreutzet.
By Savestheday1 2009-12-06 18:26:05
Link | Citer | R

I've Duo-boxed this on Rdm/Brd Nin/Dnc. The only real danger the entire fight was Cross-attack for me but other than that he missed me 90% the time. I had capped Nin evasion with no merits but loaded up on Evasion gear and using Yonin and a Tav taco for the Def bonus in case hits got through. Heres an example of the gear I used.

Head-Optical hat(Evasion+10)
Neck-Hope Torque Ritter Gorget(evasion+5 best to go with Evasion torque)
Ammo slot-Bibiki Seashell (I dont have Ungur Boomerang on my Nin)
Main hand-Oninohocho(Evasion+4)
Sub-Shiranui(Evasion+3)
Hands-Rasetsu tekko(Evasion+10)
Earrings-Melody Earrings+1 <Evasion+ while under songs>
Rings-Just stuck with Rajas and Iota but prob best to get the Wivre rings which have Evasion+ on them
Back piece-Boxers mantle(+10 Evasion)
Waist-Survival belt<+5 Evasion Better off with scouters which is +10>
Koga Hakami-(nighttime Evasion+10) other than that stuck to B haidate
Feet-Swapped between Usu feet and Dance shoes for the 6+ evasion
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-07 01:14:39
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Lerond said:
By saying you dont need much evasion at all they are meaning with a base skill of like A- and a few pieces of gear at least, rdm has 210 base skill so your going to be 60 evasion skill short of a nin with no gear, its just a bit too low sadly.
What I meant is a pimped rdm can get enough evasion to make up for the difference a small amount extra if that was all that's needed. A rdm can hit a good 120ish or more +evasion/evasion skill. Won't bring it up to thf with some gear but definitely nin with some decent evasion gear. Also fast cast still helps. Kclub or not the attack rounds are normal speed and all hits count at same time so as far as getting utsesmi off still helps
 Cerberus.Oblit
Serveur: Cerberus
user: oblit
By Cerberus.Oblit 2009-12-07 01:15:08
Link | Citer | R

duo'd charby MNK and RDM. under 10 mins.

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=22499

Seraph.Darkvision
Serveur: Seraph
By Seraph.Darkvision 2009-12-07 06:26:10
Link | Citer | R

i have killed Charby with a THF tanking, not capped EVA but had brd too, also i have tanked it on PLD/RDM, its just that the more eva the better eva helps for this
 Caitsith.Lerond
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Lerond
By Caitsith.Lerond 2009-12-07 16:16:59
Link | Citer | R

Thinking about every time you go to debuff it Dasva it is going to wipe all those shadows because you will want your best enfeebling setup to debuff it good.

Good luck with this solo are you going to poison 2 it to death? has been done by rdms with simple gravity DoT + nukes and run, might be a safer way.
[+]
 Alexander.Wilfightforbeer
By Alexander.Wilfightforbeer 2009-12-07 16:31:28
Link | Citer | R

Helps when tanking charby if you equip the bibiki seashell as you could intimidate him quite a few times which would help out recast and what not.
 Odin.Kalico
Serveur: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2009-12-07 17:03:07
Link | Citer | R

I duoed mine with a nin and rdm(me)
was very easy hardest part was the
claim. I herd of rdm's soloing this thing
by strait tanking any 1 know this to be true.
I seen Rdm solo kite dot it to death.
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Thegiftedmonkey 2009-12-07 17:19:08
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Lerond said:
Thinking about every time you go to debuff it Dasva it is going to wipe all those shadows because you will want your best enfeebling setup to debuff it good.

Good luck with this solo are you going to poison 2 it to death? has been done by rdms with simple gravity DoT nukes and run, might be a safer way.

SpellCast is a glorious thing. Charyb's attack rounds are so slow that you could easily time it manually if need be.

Hell I duo'ed him with a Brd friend way back when I was 71Rdm. Bio II, Poison II, RUN! We managed to sac pull (took a few more deaths than we were hoping for) him up past the coin door. It only took about an hour or so to kill him. >_>;
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-12-07 18:15:34
Link | Citer | R

After reading the posts, I have some other suggestions. I've camped and killed this guy a few times myself with friends.

the key (as we all know) is evasion.

a job that has an A in evasion should always be able to duo this with a healer (rdm or whm). i'm going to consider dnc having an A b/c of fan dance, closed position, and evasion bonus traits. so we have dnc, thf, and nin.

a job that has a B in evasion should always be able to trio this with a rdm (for blind II) and a buffer (cor or brd). so we have mnk and sam. pup also has a B in evasion. not sure what evasion gear is available to him though, but i imagine he could put something together.

now, those would all be ideal situations, and they all require the tank to have nearly all slots devoted to evasion. the mages can't be holding anything back either. enmity- helps a lot here.

Other things that can help:
* Dark Knight's Absorb Acc spell
* Tatami Shield and Bibiki Seashell's Killer effect
* SAM's Blinding WS, Tachi Yukikaze
* any others?

So I wonder, could a job that has a C in Evasion, with everything going for him, tank charybdis? I propose COR BRD BRD RDM DRK/NIN.

DRK uses Absorb Accuracy, BRDs use Double Mambo and Double March, COR uses Ninja Roll, RDM uses Blind II. DRK is equipped in everything that can give Evasion. SH+1, Boxer's, Melody+1x2, Ohat, and Torque. Fourth Division Feet, Legs, and Hands could be good as well. Squid+1 could be good for AGI.

I wonder if he could pull this off.
First Page 2