Yoshi-P And Matsui Comment About Adding New Jobs

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Yoshi-P and Matsui comment about adding new jobs
Yoshi-P and Matsui comment about adding new jobs
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Sakinah79 2022-05-30 11:30:19
Link | Citer | R

Part 2 of their interview is up on the We Are Vanadiel website. It's a good read for those interested but this most intriguing portion, I think.

Matsui: It’s honestly quite a struggle to give names to things in long-standing titles like FFXI and FFXIV.

Yoshida: Job names are especially tough. (laughs wryly) After all, there’s no point if a job is similar to its namesake in name only; its gameplay experience needs to match their pre-established design too. At this point, I’m thinking we have no choice but to come up with brand new jobs that haven’t appeared in the FF series before.

- I certainly see why, considering there’s already 22 jobs in FFXI and 20 jobs in FFXIV.

Matsui: As long as new game elements aren’t being introduced, new jobs are designed to fulfill a battle role that can already be filled by an existing job. That said, we can’t release a superior version of a certain job, and a new job that offers the same experience as an existing one would defeat the purpose of adding a new job. In that sense, it’s very difficult to come up with a new job.

Yoshida: From a system perspective, if the number of jobs is fixed and well-balanced, there’s no need to add more, and adding new jobs would obviously cause a stir. But nevertheless, we always need to add more jobs to keep providing new gameplay experiences.

Matsui: Back in Chains of Promathia, we were heavily criticized by foreign media for releasing a new expansion without any new jobs. Considering that, we might say it’s a “rule of design” to provide either a new job or playable race as the main feature of a new expansion.
[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Chakan
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-05-30 12:08:58
Link | Citer | R

Sakinah79 said: »
Matsui: As long as new game elements aren’t being introduced, new jobs are designed to fulfill a battle role that can already be filled by an existing job. That said, we can’t release a superior version of a certain job, and a new job that offers the same experience as an existing one would defeat the purpose of adding a new job. In that sense, it’s very difficult to come up with a new job.

This is the part you should have put in bold.

I wouldn't expect any new jobs.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2022-05-30 12:12:27
Link | Citer | R

That and Yoshida is more so talking about FFXIV
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-05-30 13:49:47
Link | Citer | R

Would be happier if they add an onion knight system which I don't think they ever could implement into this game since it would be op.

I'm currently happy with the job spread outside of the only 2 tanks in the game. More balance is needed and maybe find a way to fine-tune WSs so we aren't using savage blade everywhere we go.
By Draylo 2022-05-30 13:51:30
Link | Citer | R

New jobs Time Mage and Chemist confirmed
[+]
 Asura.Cordyfox
Serveur: Asura
user: Cordyfox
By Asura.Cordyfox 2022-05-30 14:12:46
Link | Citer | R

I keep trying to think of new jobs and every time I conceive of a potential job, I find myself rather wanting job improvements. As cool as Time or Green Mage would be, for instance, I'd rather them improve RDM/BLU/GEO instead.
[+]
By Nariont 2022-05-30 14:13:49
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
outside of the only 2 tanks in the game

Nitpicking a bit but id say there's only 2 pure tanks, NIN can fill in some areas and PUP can in others would be nice to close the gap on those 2 though so they could have a wider array of usefulness

Asura.Cordyfox said: »
I keep trying to think of new jobs and every time I conceive of a potential job, I find myself rather wanting job improvements.

There's not really a place for any new jobs bar potentially tank and you could easily retool not just the above 2 but something like SAM or WAR into a better potential tank via traits/ja changes, everyone else is fairly interchangeable to some degree or another
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-30 14:16:57
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Cordyfox said: »
I keep trying to think of new jobs and every time I conceive of a potential job, I find myself rather wanting job improvements. As cool as Time or Green Mage would be, for instance, I'd rather them improve RDM/BLU/GEO instead.

Would honestly agree. IF they were to ever add new jobs, I'd hope for it to be after they finish fine tuning the balance of existing ones. Some jobs like BST are completely dead right now.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-30 14:32:10
Link | Citer | R

Context matters, while BST isn't adored for it's damage the slug breaks gaol in the worst (best) way.

Also, bots LOVE bst. So ridiculous for botting and merits.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Serveur: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2022-05-30 14:35:45
Link | Citer | R

But they told me Alchemist was ready to go and SE was just being lazy! /s
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-05-30 14:37:49
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Context matters, while BST isn't adored for it's damage the slug breaks gaol in the worst (best) way.

Also, bots LOVE bst. So ridiculous for botting and merits.

you can literally farm RP while you're afk, I don't consider HP down cheese to make it even easier as a valuable use of the job

bots also aren't my metric for job balance
By RadialArcana 2022-05-30 14:39:23
Link | Citer | R

I loved Geo and Rune but if they keep adding jobs it would feel really forced at this point. I know why they do it on XIV, many of the jobs play exactly the same but it wouldn't work too well on XI.

I can't even think of a job that would be worth adding, time mage would suck and chemist seems really iffy.
By Nariont 2022-05-30 14:40:51
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
BST isn't adored for it's damage the slug breaks gaol in the worst (best) way.

BST grew a kind of niche debuff utility, but only because GEO bubbles keep getting nerfed, along with the times where circles can be applied which has increased some but still fairly rare in the grand scheme of things. Otherwise you're putting in more work to do less
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-30 14:51:19
Link | Citer | R

If anything they should be deleting jobs.

Don't need swordwarrior, swordwarrior in blue, swordwarrior in red, emoswordwarrior, swordwarrior with wyvern, swordwarrior with songs, swordwarrior with rolls, swordwarrior with TH, swordwarrior with shadows

It would help fix balance by removing them. The only way it'll ever balance is by having nothing to balance.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2022-05-30 14:57:57
Link | Citer | R

You forgot swordwarrior with shadows, assuming you were just listing off Naegling jobs lol

edit: I'm HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Serveur: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-05-30 16:00:04
Link | Citer | R

Make GEO into a job that doesn't swing between hilariously broken OP and nerfed to all hell before talking about new jobs that would need to offer new mechanics to be worth including.

BST definitely needs some work too if you want it played in any situation that isn't niche GEO replacement, stars aligned killer instinct pet, or make that leech suck off that tree because it's mean and hurts our feelings by looking at us. BST was a delight to play around abyssea era and now I can barely recognize it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2022-05-30 16:07:56
Link | Citer | R

Time mage could be more about cooling down JA's or even adding potency and/or duration to job JA's. Maybe even adding AoE effects to certain JAs.

Chemist would be like the NIN of healing and buffing. Won't need MP, can create AoE effects from all food/potions, that stack with other job's buffs, if chemist is in party allow for the use of double food. durations of potions increased. great for events that maybe spam silence or amnesia.

both those roles will blend well with other jobs and do fill a niche that can be enhancing to the game but not necessarily OP.

/endspitballing
[+]
By Draylo 2022-05-30 16:10:06
Link | Citer | R

New jobs dont have to fill voids or niches. They can do the same thing other jobs do but with different style and perhaps one unique thing. Chemist can be another healer, but focus on using items so silence wont affect them. Just something new and fun to mess around. Just my opinion anyway
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-30 16:12:18
Link | Citer | R

They've already covered all of the jobs they could do, minutes maybe Arithmetician/Calculator (which they've gone with Scholar instead) and maybe Onion Knight. I don't know what role the latter would even play in FFXI, so it's kind of a waste to even think about it. Time mage is already split up between white magic and black magic, and outside of having access to demi, the three basic mages have access to practically all Time Magic. It already exists, if not in form, with the spells

The only job that could potentially be added with any unique factor would be Chemist, but my fear is they wouldn't know how to properly make a healer/support/Gunmage, so I'd rather then not even try. I even look at how they implemented Geomancer and it is wildly different than how I imagined it would play.

That ship (new FFXI jobs) has sailed
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-05-30 16:18:47
Link | Citer | R

Not for me, they were always exciting and made everyone brainstorm how they could be used. Why are yall always so pessimistic, jeeze a bunch of killjoys in every single thread lol. XI has become the retirement home for cranky old granpas
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2022-05-30 16:25:20
Link | Citer | R

still want them to create "ultimate" job armor that combines all +3 versions of the main JSE's into a single 5 item set.

And/or a way to combine all 1 handed REMAP weapon classes into a single weapon also (that allows all the aftermaths/WS's, which you use depends on situation)

and allow 1 handed weapons to be allowed to be off handed with similar effect to the above.

But not likely
By Viciouss 2022-05-30 16:26:15
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Lusiphur said: »
Sakinah79 said: »

This is the part you should have put in bold.

I wouldn't expect any new jobs.

Literally /thread. This is just as bad as the expectations and reddit thread.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-05-30 16:32:04
Link | Citer | R

I think the human jobs discussion is less interesting than monster jobs. They had a gold mine with Monstrosity. If they would allowed players too level fiends as additional jobs, it would instantly diversify the game. I feel like they missed an amazing opportunity to allow players to utilize a monster type progression system. You effectively double or triple the available jobs/grind.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-05-30 16:40:03
Link | Citer | R

Or let people play as Morphers and let the monsters participate in content. Altho I imagine that would be a nightmare to balance but it would be fun at least for old content
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2022-05-30 16:58:29
Link | Citer | R

or at least use monstrosity as a system to allow BSTs to customize and build different ultimate pets.

there are a ton of cool content systems in the game that could use ilvl versions and rewards that would make a lot of variety of game play fresh again for players.

off top of my head aside from mentioned previous:

pankatration, garrison, campaign, enm+, limbo+, all of sea, sky kinda got a re-up with escha do the same for sea! trial of magians stuff cuz geodes are trash, mog house gardening, most of ToAU content is still active due to mythic spam, adding some Ilvl versions of things as an option to tackle the requirement at a quicker pace, but hard as fok, similar to dyna wave 3 for mask filling. MMM, give us some ***to do on airships like rando encounter Ilvl HNM type stuff mobs, but give out rewards to all participants, maybe kinda like DI in the sky,,, idk, stuff to do!
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2022-05-30 17:12:53
Link | Citer | R

You know....... since you can port all over the place these days...... they could extend the duration of all those types of transportation systems quite a bit, and add NM's to them.

hear me out....

EACH city to port J airships takes 30 minutes. Each trip you talk to the captain and he has an option to join the frey, you are then placed into a layered area of the airship zone that pop's a series of NM's themed for the sky, these fights are an endurance, you don't actually need to kill it, but get awarded credits based on how much activity you do during the fight (if enough people are fighting you might kill it for a bonus)

after the fight/flight you can redeem points at a Port J NPC.

after clearing X amounts of the NM's the airship to the jungle is unlocked for an even cooler NM set, and more rewards, or better reward farming.

Also can end the fight at any time, and warp out if need to do something else.

now do the same for all the ocean faring vessels also. would be fun.

Can reuse all the resources, expands area explore-ability.

could be fun haha.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5