Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » For Developers
For Developers
 Odin.Demhar
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2022-04-01 18:51:24
Link | Citer | R

Ever since Hover Shot was introduced, the utilization of Rapid Shot has become less important and somewhat useless since the RNG must move after each shot to keep up the Hover Shot stack.
My proposal to the developers for ranger is the following.

Current State:
[Unlimited Shot]
Description: Allows you to perform your next ranged attack without using ammunition
Duration: 00:01:00 or next Ranged Attack
Recast: 00:03:00 (base, shares with Double Shot)
Merits: 5/5 Increased duration 6seconds (total: 30seconds for a total 1.5min)
Job Points: Reduces enmity by 2 x 20 = 40
(AKA worthless)

[Flashy Shot]
Description: Your next attack will generate more enmity, and both have increased accuracy and deal increased damage based on the level difference between you and the target
Duration: 00:01:00 or next Ranged Attack
Recast: 00:10:00
Merits: 5/5 Increases Ranged Attack by 5% per merit level past the first
(AKA worthless)

Proposal:
[Unlimited Shot]

Description: All ranged attacks will remain under current Hover Shot stack while Unlimited Shot is active
Duration: 00:01:30 (Side Note: to pair with Double Shot)
Recast: 00:03:00 (independent from Double Shot, does not overwrite Barrage while Barrage is active)
Merits: 5/5 Increased duration 6seconds (total: 30seconds for a total 2min)
Job Points: Reduces enmity by 2 x 20 = 40

[Flashy Shot]
Description: True Shot is activated regardless of distance from monster
Duration: 00:01:00
Recast: 00:03:00
Merits: 5/5 Increases Ranged Attack by 5% per merit level past the first

This can potentially be a large burst phase for ranger in battle. Imagine climbing to stack 25 getting AM3 up on Armageddon/Gandiva, popping Double Shot > Unlimited Shot > Flashy Shot> Camouflage > destruction without getting detected >break the Camouflage by Weapon Skill when Camouflage is about to wear. This will also give RNG a breather room and sense of reward when stack 25 is achieved while utilizing Rapid Shot.
Perhaps there is still hope for Unlimited Shot & Flashy Shot to be useful.
[+]
 Odin.Phinneus
user: ayer
By Odin.Phinneus 2022-04-02 02:01:28
Link | Citer | R

You might want to post this on the official forums, I don't think the developers really look at ffxiah. The recommendations look good though.
By SimonSes 2022-04-02 02:55:44
Link | Citer | R

Recast and duration are too generous. You know with all those buffs combined and chaos/rogue you would reach like 23k white damage DPS, which is like more than mighty strikes WAR with Warcry (WSing ofc).

You would be limited by first building hover shot, but still it's way too much damage. On the other hand I hate how Ja0wait boosts your RNG damage by like 100%(?) now... It's pathetic...
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-04-02 06:18:03
Link | Citer | R

Unlimited Shot is a wasted ability these days when considering that it requires giving up Double Shot usage, so I definitely can see some value in either splitting the two timers-wise, or changing its function to make the debate of use worthwhile.

But I kind of got the impression even SE had no clue what to do with Unlimited Shot when the released Oshosi Gear, fully admitting that Double Shot is and should be our focus. I stopped having any thoughts about Unlimited Shot at that point.

I enjoy the ideas/hopes of taking two essentially unused job abilities and making them at least worth the discussion, but I'd have to lean towards Simon's comment- the result would be so broken it hardly feels fair :)
 Fenrir.Melphina
Serveur: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-04-02 14:26:34
Link | Citer | R

Ranger isn't the only job with underutilized abilities. Half of thief's toolkit is extremely niche or unused even with the job point enhancements. Mug, Steal, accomplice/collaborater, hide, and especially despoil are all pretty mediocre, and the 2 second JA delay on assassin's charge's actually lowers DPS by more than the ability increases. Dancer has 9 different flourishes but only uses three of them, and any samba that doesn't have "haste" in the name may as well not even exist. Geomancer's widened compass is a SP ability with very little utility. And how much use do dark knight's get out of consume mana? There are plenty more examples if you look around too. Flashy and unlimited shot are in the same boat; they're relics of a past era. I'm not saying updates wouldn't be welcome. Just that there's a ton of examples like this in a bunch of classes, and at this point I don't expect the devs to go back and make any sweeping changes.

I'll still upvote the OP though. I like the constructive thinking. I just don't expect many more job tweaks when the devs are focused on the voractious story and the 20th anniversary is just around the corner. I suspect the upcoming content releases are going to be getting their full attention.
 Odin.Demhar
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2022-04-02 19:16:36
Link | Citer | R

For people who don't use Ja0wait on RNG it puts them behind and Rapid Shot just got brushed to the side. Main focus was the concept of those unused Job Abilities and what can be done with them. As far as duration and recast, those are all adjustable to maintain balanced burst phases