users online
Forum » FFXI » Escha » Glassy Gorger is kinda annoying
Glassy Gorger is kinda annoying
 Asura.Shiehna
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Shiehna 2022-02-11 18:24:02
Link | Citer | R

So I've been farming the Omen mid bosses' gear lately. I've been able to solo Glassy Thinker and Craver many times on THF with trusts. But Glassy Gorger is a bit of a pain, solely due to Quadratic Continuum (trying to farm Kishar ring). Honestly that's like his only dangerous ability and single reason I've had trouble soloing him. I usually use AAEV as my trust tank for all 3 Glassy NM's, but I've also tried AAHM on Glassy Gorger for shadows.

With both tanks, most of the time QC does a decent amount of damage to them but is manageable with trust healers etc. But sometimes QC will do like 3,000 plus damage to both tanks and one shot them. I even tried to solo Gorger during the alter ego campaign where they get higher max HP and it still one shot both tanks. Then he immediately switches hate to my char and same thing happens. I have capped DT gear on for when my tank dies, and most of the QC are survivable for my char as well. But it will eventually end up doing the 3k plus damage again even with capped DT and that ends my run.

So I was wondering if anyone has any advice or good strategy to dealing with Quadratic Continuum doing the one shot spike damage. I read the strategy on BG Wiki and it doesn't really say anything to help deal with the ability. I'm not sure if there is some type of trigger that causes QC to do the high spike damage or if you can't defeat him without an actual player tanking on say RUN or PLD? I also just recently got access to Omen on my alt char, which has WAR at 119 with pretty decent gear (Naegling, Hjarrandi head/body, Artifact+2, Relic+2, Flamma+2, Sulevia+2 sets, etc).

Not like epic god tier gear but pretty good for an alt char. Only other jobs I got on my main is WHM and SMN. I've tried soloing him on SMN but the same issue with the trust tank dying always happens, and I definitely can't tank him on SMN lol. Would WAR have a better chance of soloing Gorger over THF?
 Bahamut.Blacklist
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Sengaan
By Bahamut.Blacklist 2022-02-11 18:39:20
Link | Citer | R

It sounds he’s just getting lucky with all 4 hits. But I don’t know what support trusts you’re using, but he also takes you buffs. So that could be helping him if you’re using bard trusts that give madrigal or qultada with rolls. War has higher up and def, but thf has higher Eva so it’s kind of a toss up. Use multiple ya m trusts to be safe since it’s a single target. If one dies you have a backup.
[+]
 Valefor.Damnit
Serveur: Valefor
user: bignig
By Valefor.Damnit 2022-02-11 18:41:59
Link | Citer | R

I was able to solo all of the mid bosses in DT set on THF/DRG with Ygnas, Monb, Sylie Sel'theus and Ulmia with me tanking, my DT set consists of
ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1",
head="Malignance Chapeau",
body="Malignance Tabard",
hands="Malignance Gloves",
legs="Malignance Tights",
feet="Malignance Boots",
neck={ name="Asn. Gorget +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
waist="Reiki Yotai",
left_ear="Telos Earring",
right_ear={ name="Odnowa Earring +1", augments={'Path: A',}},
left_ring="Moonlight Ring",
right_ring="Defending Ring",
back={ name="Toutatis's Cape", augments={'DEX+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','Accuracy+10','"Store TP"+10','Phys. dmg. taken-10%',}},
[+]
 Shiva.Liam
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Liam 2022-02-11 18:47:07
Link | Citer | R

If there isn't a real tank I usually kite it for Mighty Strikes, Its usually an unlucky QC during that that would one shot me.
[+]
 Asura.Shiehna
By Asura.Shiehna 2022-02-11 19:07:36
Link | Citer | R

Oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention my other trusts. I swap trusts depending on which Omen Midboss spawns since it's random each time. But for Gorger I usually use Yoran, Ulmia, Monberaux, Koru-moru, and either AAEV or AAHM for tank. I don't have Ygnas unfortunately due to not having the crap ton of Pre-Reqs done to get him lol.

Koru is fairly good about dispelling Gorger when he steals buffs, but sometimes I swap him with Arciela since she seems to prioritize dispel a little better than Koru. I have actually tried using both AAEV and AAHM at the same time for a backup tank and he has legit killed both them and my char in the same run. >< I'm intentionally not using Qultada on Gorger since he absorbs buffs. Ulmia usually just does double march or throws on ballad or Sentinel's Scherzo when I take heavier damage. So I don't think he's absorbing any attack buffs that I'm aware of.

Oh I forgot about mighty strikes, does he use it multiple times or just once? I usually end up not seeing when it shows up in the chat log while trying to keep up with everything in the battle. If it's just once I could definitely kite him around, but if he spams it multiple times, kites would prolly make me time out due to the dumb Omen timer.

I do have NIN sub on both characters, but they're on the same account so I can't like dual box or anything. I usually go THF/WAR for extra DPS, and I haven't tried doing Omen yet on my alt WAR char. I definitely have quite a bit more defense on my WAR than on THF, it's like 1450 (1580 with Blurred Shield+1) on WAR and like 1200ish on THF (those numbers are including Protect 5 from trust). However I usually use berserk for extra DPS, at least when I'm not the one tanking. I guess for this maybe I should drop berserk if the tank dies.

I would use a black curry bun for extra defense but I need sublime sushi for the accuracy or I have a tough time capping acc on the Omen bosses since my THF and WAR only got like 700 job points each. Do shadows help block all or at least part of Quadratic Continuum? If so I'll try going WAR/NIN since I have better defense on that job. The Omen gear is sendable on same account so doesn't matter to me which char gets the item drops, long as I can defeat him lol.
 Asura.Shiehna
By Asura.Shiehna 2022-02-28 20:47:30
Link | Citer | R

Just wanted to make a follow up on this because I started doing Omen runs on my alt char on WAR recently. I finally managed to defeat Glassy Gorger on WAR, along with Thinker and Craver (also killed the other 2 on THF before) since the Omen Mid Boss is random and all. Thank you guys who posted advice on here, it definitely helped! Especially about him using Mighty Strikes and kiting it, that's what I did.

The trust setup I used was Yoran, Koru, Monbreaux, Joachim, and Arciela. Having 2 trusts to dispel his buff absorbs helped a lot. Although I didn't use berserk at all, both to keep my defense higher and to avoid QC doing crazy spike damage if he absorbed it. I just rotated between warcry and blood rage, and swapped my Barbarity+1 Axe for dual wield to the Blurred Shield+1 for extra defense.

I definitely noticed a huge difference with the damage QC did to my WAR vs my THF. Never saw it do more than like 1k-ish damage on WAR oppose to like 3k plus on THF or when it was used on my trust tanks. The higher max HP and defense my WAR has seems to of been the biggest help. He only used Mighty Strikes once far as I noticed. I'm assuming those spike damage QC were when he used MS before.

I got the Enki Strap drop this time. I had the Erra Pendant from doing a Fu run with a pickup group before. Unfortunately the Kishar ring is the drop I was after, and is the only Omen Mid Boss drop I haven't got yet lol. I'll keep grinding Gorger till I get the Kishar ring, but at least I can successfully defeat him now. He wasn't too bad until he was under 25% and started spamming abilities, that was the only real danger I had in the fight.
[+]
By Shichishito 2022-03-01 03:43:33
Link | Citer | R

quadratic continuum is a 4 fold attack so even a fresh utsu /nin wouldn't block all of it. i also see the problem with berserk and maybe mighty strikes mixed in.

if you have acc issues on THF you could try a different sub job than /war, maybe /drg for tha WS dmg and ACC bonus traits and you could use egg sandwiches for extra HP, ACC and DEF.
[+]
By Trillium 2022-03-01 06:23:37
Link | Citer | R

Not sure if war would be better, but mnk would be survivable pretty easily. I tend to three box and admittedly now have a Geo which I put wilt on due to people saying I should, but prior to having a 3 box I just had brd buffs. Having dispelled trusts will help with blessing sync, peoe to having my brd spam finale. Mnk with ml and counter and dd set makes it pretty easy. I could probably just afk in counter set if not for buffs wearimg and casting finale on alt, but the mnk 3 steps are pretty nice on it. Thf feels like too little hp, but again, for that mob I hang out in two sets, my ws and my counter Dt set. Dt set for tp is probably where you want to be on thf. Or you can micromanage and swap to tp right after it has ws. Esp when low character running things, I'm sure you have discovered it is the def and hybrid sets that make the differcd typically vs the "bis damage" ones. I def swap into them to speed things up at times, but that is def most likely thing to kl me lol. Even gin wipes me if I get too aggressive at times.
[+]
 Asura.Zidaner
user: Xavierr
By Asura.Zidaner 2022-03-01 07:46:43
Link | Citer | R

Make sure you are not using an empyrean weapon. I made the mistake a few times of forgetting to swap and when he takes AM3 from Vere it hurts like hell D:
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-03-01 14:25:25
Link | Citer | R

Glassy Gorger takes 50% more damage from slashing, so if you do it on THF, you should use Naegling.

WAR is generally great for midboss, because you can use slashing, blunt and piercing efficiently (each of the midbosses takes 50% more damage from different type). THF isn't bad too. You can use Naegling, Dagger or Karambit.
[+]