Forum » FFXI » General » game on VM?
game on VM?
 Bismarck.Danz
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: danz
By Bismarck.Danz 2021-11-12 16:40:21
Link | Citer | R

so iv been playing around with some other "instances". yea i know. shame on me. just wanted some new content! some of these are great to fulfill that nich, and are pretty cool! however. a sacrafice needed to be made. i had to 100% wipe my old retail install to do so.

SE: surprise actual content!
cool! now i want to play retail. but have to remove the modded version is there any way to have both?

i tried my unraid VM but no dedicated GPU so it kind of ran like poo.
i assumed a 20 year old game would run well on integrated graphics but NOPE... integrated graphics is just PURE hot garbage...

options?
 Ragnarok.Valauge
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Valauge
By Ragnarok.Valauge 2021-11-12 17:30:39
Link | Citer | R

Use PCIE passthrough to give the VM control of a gfx card, then run Parsec on it. Should work fine for just about any type of game non-esports related, assuming they don't have any anti-cheat software that'll flag a VM.
 Asura.Sagaxi
Serveur: Asura
user: xXSagaXx
By Asura.Sagaxi 2021-11-12 18:45:08
Link | Citer | R

Wmware Workstation. I havnt tried myself, but i gets equivalent of gpu passthrough on 15+ iirc.
 Leviathan.Wiccaan
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Wiccaan
By Leviathan.Wiccaan 2021-11-12 19:27:31
Link | Citer | R

If you are stuck on an iGPU, try and use a proxy first to better the performance. There's a few to try:

- dgVoodoo2: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2/
- Mine: https://forums.ashitaxi.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=855
- ReShade: https://reshade.me/

If you do plan to run in a VM, VMWare 13+ has issues with proper GPU handling in my experiences. I had to roll back to VMWare 12.x to get the game to run properly again and allow for correct GPU usage. (Without having to fully pass the GPU through to the VM.)
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-11-12 21:09:09
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Danz said: »
i assumed a 20 year old game would run well on integrated graphics but NOPE... integrated graphics is just PURE hot garbage...
correct

I don't currently have hardware that allows VM passthrough so I haven't tested it. I just moved my 1 alt where performance matters more off a VM to their own box and it's running a lot better.

1080p
no datswaps
dgvoodoo
gtx 710 (me being a cheap ***).

getting 43~fps in town right now, and was steady 20+ in dyna, beats the pants off the old 2-8 in dyna...

edit: btw,

Leviathan.Wiccaan said: »
If you are stuck on an iGPU, try and use a proxy first to better the performance.

doesn't improve performance on intel HD, just an fyi.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-11-13 05:57:52
Link | Citer | R

The actual question seems to be:
-Can I run both a private server install and a retail server install?

Note that this does not necessarily require a VM, you can have 2 seperate installs in different directories and use a batch file to switch which is registered for Windower or Ashita3, or use Ashita4's sandbox polplugin to run them without an installation at all.
By Jetackuu 2021-11-13 11:21:22
Link | Citer | R

totally didn't read the first half of his post, L o L