FFXI: 2002-2021: 18.5 Years And Still Going Strong

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI: 2002-2021: 18.5 years and still going strong
FFXI: 2002-2021: 18.5 years and still going strong
By Mattelot 2021-03-25 07:31:51
Link | Citer | R

I agree with you. I even asked why they feel that way and rather than say WHY they do, they just reiterate "retail is garbage", etc.

While I do not paint the entire Nasomi population with the same brush, I do hear (hearsay) that it's a common view.

Some games are easily jumped back into for nostalgia but this game is not one of them. The old systems are just too non-QOL for anyone used to retail now.
 Asura.Aeonova
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-03-25 07:34:07
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
waiting for hours for either good jobs to pop up

All jobs matter!
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Serveur: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2021-03-25 07:34:20
Link | Citer | R

Eh, retail bags on Naosomi so fair's fair.

Asura.Aeonova said: »
waiting for hours for either good jobs to pop up

All jobs matter!

My friend was leveling PUP and sometimes I just wouldn't make a party because I didn't feel like inviting him. lol
By Mattelot 2021-03-25 07:59:30
Link | Citer | R

I've honestly never heard anyone in retail trash talk Nasomi. Only things I've heard are "I couldn't do it" or "it wasn't for me."

Mileage varies....
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-03-25 08:12:54
Link | Citer | R

3pp community trash talks nasomi all the time, but to be fair none of the private server hosts are the least bit professional

the software is getting close to the point where it can compare to retail, but it seems like improvements are constantly being halted by interpersonal drama and none of the server admins are able to run their ***in a mature and unbiased manner
[+]
By Matic 2021-03-31 09:31:41
Link | Citer | R

So (Seinfeld voice) what's the deal with the weekly cap on sparks traded? I came back from a ~8 month break recently, and was really surprised by it.

I mean, I imagine that the cap was implemented to foil botters, but what keeps bugging me is, why now?

After letting botters basically run wild and free for years, why are they tightening it up now?

Idk, it really stands out to me as odd, and suggests a renewed investment in a stable future of the game (supported by the new storyline quests and talk of still more job updates, not to mention the 20th anniversary hype).

Do you guys think this could be evidence that they are transitioning the game away from 'auto-pilot with skeleton crew' and somewhat back to 'fully realized service with quality content updates' again? Or am I just out of touch?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-31 09:34:22
Link | Citer | R

They added a method to create gil, and at the same time removed a method to create gil, so there was no double dipping.
By Matic 2021-03-31 09:36:04
Link | Citer | R

Forgive my ignorance - what did they add?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-31 09:38:10
Link | Citer | R

Odyssey
By Matic 2021-03-31 09:44:37
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Odyssey

I assume you are referring to the gil awarded upon completion or is there something else? Haven't messed with the content much yet.

sidenote: I give zero *** if people want to bot a pve game, fyi.
By RadialArcana 2021-03-31 09:49:34
Link | Citer | R

Matic said: »
So (Seinfeld voice) what's the deal with the weekly cap on sparks traded? I came back from a ~8 month break recently, and was really surprised by it.

I mean, I imagine that the cap was implemented to foil botters, but what keeps bugging me is, why now?

After letting botters basically run wild and free for years, why are they tightening it up now?

Idk, it really stands out to me as odd, and suggests a renewed investment in a stable future of the game (supported by the new storyline quests and talk of still more job updates, not to mention the 20th anniversary hype).

Do you guys think this could be evidence that they are transitioning the game away from 'auto-pilot with skeleton crew' and somewhat back to 'fully realized service with quality content updates' again? Or am I just out of touch?

They put a cap on sparks to:

Cause massive deflation, since this was a massive gil fountain and was making everyones be gil be worth less. They like to inflate and then deflate the value of gil.

Encourage botters to make alts and pay $1 a month for each one instead of just having that one bot running 24/7. Cap one, move to next and cap that > repeat.

In reality, all that happened was the botters moved to other content. It did work to some extent though, some do have more alts now to bot.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-31 09:55:44
Link | Citer | R

Sidenote; gil went back to $1/M from the ~.40c/M it was at, and squeezed many sellers out as unwilling or unable to adapt.

So, Mission Accomplished
[+]
By Matic 2021-03-31 10:03:43
Link | Citer | R

thanks for the explanation.

I still think the timing of this renewed concern for the economy is weird, but I guess not as weird or significant as I thought.

I wasn't aware of any similar efforts by SE over the past few years (kinda assumed they had basically given up on enforcing a lot of ToS tbh), but then I haven't exactly been consistently following updates. If this is just business as usual for them, nothing to see here move on.
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2021-03-31 11:29:00
Link | Citer | R

Well the prices of mats or steadily falling so there is that. Alex to be 2k soon.
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2021-03-31 13:17:40
Link | Citer | R

BRD only became fun when you started pulling. I don't know how anyone had fun on that job just subbing WHM and sitting there...
BRD was only fun to set your flag and go to bed. The logs the following day were always a real treat.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-03-31 13:22:26
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Beatsbytaru said: »
BRD was only fun to set your flag and go to bed. The logs the following day were always a real treat.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2021-04-03 19:07:36
Link | Citer | R

Paying $10 for 1 Mog Sack? I’d sooner wish the game to go offline.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-04-03 19:19:03
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Sandraa said: »
First Mistake

This wasn't a mistake, it was intentional vandalism. The goal was to leave players with nothing to do and no goals left, so that enough of us would move over to 14 that they could shut down 11.

Once the people in charge gave up on this they added job points etc
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-03 19:22:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Topace said: »

That's less than you paid for the first sack. (possibly)

((Satchel, same difference))
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-03 19:26:31
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
First Mistake

This wasn't a mistake, it was intentional vandalism. The goal was to leave players with nothing to do and no goals left, so that enough of us would move over to 14 that they could shut down 11.

100% likely, but SE's mistake was having this be part of the numbered FF series. If it has just been called "Final Fantasy Online" they seriously could have migrated everyone. It would be weird(er) to have Final Fantasy 1~10 and then 12~__ if they closed 11.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-03 20:41:56
Link | Citer | R

Going from 80 inventory to 160 is a lot bigger upgrade than 640 to 720, though.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-03 20:43:07
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
First Mistake

They were definitely not trying to kill off the playerbase with Abyssea and the level cap increases. At the time they were trying to double dip with as many players as they could.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-03 20:43:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Geriond said: »

I would contest that it's the exact opposite now. Carry more ***around than ever before. +80 now is significantly more "needed" than then.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-04-03 20:47:04
Link | Citer | R

I would contest that it's the exact opposite now. Carry more ***around than ever before. +80 now is significantly more "needed" than then.
The only reason we started carrying so much stuff and got used to it was because we were given the ability to. Fitting 1 job into 80 slot (especially jobs like red mage and bard) was still a lot more limiting than fitting every job into 640 slots given gear overlap, and it's only the rise of luas and the like that let us easily use even gear that is ridiculously situational that makes people think they need this much inventory.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-04-03 20:53:57
Link | Citer | R

Well being a satchel it's more about the amount of non-gear carried around. Reraise sources, meds, foods, tools, ammos, value drops, link pearls, partial stacks of random ***you can't help but hoard...
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-04-03 20:56:54
Link | Citer | R

even gear that is ridiculously situational that makes people think they need this much inventory.

Don't you judge my Clear Mind hMP set.
 Lakshmi.Cesil
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2021-04-04 01:31:07
Link | Citer | R

As someone who has been here since alpha, seeing this update list is awesome! Nice walk down memory lane :) I remember when all the monsters were simply orcs...good times lol.