Sony Buying Square?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Sony buying square?
Sony buying square?
First Page 2
By Thunderjet 2021-02-23 21:18:54
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder
. I hope this is not true i want my ffxi ;(
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2021-02-23 21:27:34
Link | Citer | R

you think sony would kill ffxi if they bought SE? why? why would they do that? do you think SE runs ffxi out of the kindness of their heart?

current metrics from the database page here shows:
Quote:
Minimum FFXI income: $178,705.45/month ($2,144,465.40/year) from 6631 accounts
The minimum income value is determined by assuming the bare minimum amount of income Square-Enix would have to receive to obtain these active character numbers. The following assumptions are made:

• No one has the extra Mog Wardrobes

• Active characters are grouped into batches of 16, as secondary character slots/mules are cheaper than new accounts

Obviously neither of those is true, but the purpose of this exercise is to show the absolute minimum amount of money the game is bringing in, to remind people that FFXI is still quite profitable.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Serveur: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2021-02-23 21:32:13
Link | Citer | R

Where is billnes? He would know!
[+]
By Draylo 2021-02-23 21:32:32
Link | Citer | R

I don't like it!
By Thunderjet 2021-02-23 23:09:42
Link | Citer | R

I hope its not true i want games like octopath too
By Rips 2021-02-23 23:32:29
Link | Citer | R

Sony buying SE?

Those PS2 limitations have come full circle.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Rips 2021-02-24 00:01:08
Link | Citer | R

endxen said: »
Say goodbye to XI if they do, Sony will shut this ***show of a game down without any notice.

I don't believe this is true. However, if the purchase went through, I'm sure someone here has more authority on the topic that would lead to concrete discussion of possibilities.

RIP to everyone's side income on here and in game that publicly / privately have this funding their bills.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
Serveur: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-02-24 00:22:16
Link | Citer | R

All part of Sony's master plan to keep SquareEnix's 'Pony Friends 3' a Playstation 6 exclusive.

[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-02-24 00:26:33
Link | Citer | R

Sony shut the Matrix Online down with a quickness! Also seems DC Universe still online??

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-02-24 00:31:02
Link | Citer | R

Freehugs said: »
The matrix online apparently only had 500ish subscribers at the time of shutdown and the last 2 movies sucked.
The game was soooooooooo bad... so bad I actually remember it.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-02-24 00:44:03
Link | Citer | R

Freehugs said: »
Star Wars Galaxies. That one seemed ok from what people tell me. Until the big wigs gutted everything fun.
SWG is the once and future mmo. I still play SWG EMU and SWG Legends.

(PS. the big wigs gutted it by listening to the players and pandering)
[+]
By Draylo 2021-02-24 00:52:08
Link | Citer | R

I used to love that game, I had a huge house that looked super cool and I still have fond memories of it.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-02-24 05:15:40
Link | Citer | R

I don't believe this to be trustworthy at all, this rumour started from a twitter post. Also this started weeks ago and didn't come to anything.

If it did though it would be a total disaster for Square Enix, Sony are pure garbage as a company and they would completely ruin SE. Very much in the same way Activision ruined Blizzard.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-02-24 05:20:13
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
I don't believe this to be trust at all, this rumour started from a twitter post. Also this started weeks ago and didn't come to anything.
This, y'all getting bent out of shape over a shitpost from a shitposter that was sourced from nothing.

Even if Sony were to acquire Square, they probably still won't immediately kill FFXI. The 3 year contract still has to run it's term, and they've bought exclusivity agreements for every FF game since the console wars started. They will, however, force their ridiculous PC idealogies on every future SE game(and expac), which will suck.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-02-24 05:52:10
Link | Citer | R

They did it with City of Heroes.. CoH had a higher player base than FFXI does now when they shut it down.

Sony doesn't give a ***about trickle income, never have. They blow thier load clean up quick and move on.

COH was free to play, you can have 10 billion players and if they don't buy anything it's not profitable, stop fear mongering from an old story.

The initial story is bunk anyway, that started from a tweet 2 weeks ago.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2021-02-24 09:21:19
Link | Citer | R

CoH had 125k when they shut it down, $15 monthly sub also.

125k subs at $15 each is $22.5 million a year, I mean I guess a company can make a bad decision but the operating cost of the game would have to be insane, to justify shutting it down... $22.5 million a year is higher than some divisions of the company i work at (an electronic manufacture) and we have much higher operating costs... and we don't shut down those divisions.

Aslo...
Wikipedia said:
On June 20, 2011, Paragon Studios announced that they were going to switch to a hybrid subscription model called City of Heroes: Freedom, adding in a free-to-play game model. Special models for former subscribers would be termed Premium Players, and current subscribers would become VIP players, who would gain access to all the content in the various upcoming game updates.
- Wikipedia.City_of_Heros
By seraphila 2021-03-10 20:49:10
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
you think sony would kill ffxi if they bought SE? why? why would they do that? do you think SE runs ffxi out of the kindness of their heart?

Quote:
The minimum income value is determined by assuming the bare minimum amount of income Square-Enix would have to receive to obtain these active character numbers. The following assumptions are made:

• Active characters are grouped into batches of 16, as secondary character slots/mules are cheaper than new accounts

Obviously neither of those is true, but the purpose of this exercise is to show the absolute minimum amount of money the game is bringing in, to remind people that FFXI is still quite profitable.
In the real world companies do not seek to maximize profits.

They don't. That is a myth that exists entirely in 100 level Econ textbooks. In real life companies seek to implement whatever arbitrary preferences management has decided to pursue. That may lead to greater profits, or it may not, but either way profit is incidental.

I used to work for a company where the primary concern of management was cutting labor costs, and the single most important rule was "no one will ever be paid overtime under any circumstances."

And if that meant that work wasn't done and customers were lost (or even outright refused service) when the company was understaffed, then so be it. They would happily lose $1,000 in revenue to save $100 in labor costs. And that's exactly what happened... frequently. Reports from management to shareholders were routinely falsified to hide these losses, and obviously shareholders have no way to know if a company is turning away potential customers, since that doesn't show up in reports at all. This was the first job I ever had where I had the ability to see all internal financial and operations reports as well as all the information being sent to the shareholders. It was quite an education.

The point is: companies do not exist for the benefit of shareholders. They do not exist for returns. They exist to serve the arbitrary preferences of management.

(Not to say that any of this relates to Sony or SE. It's just a point of personal annoyance for me when people talk about companies reliably pursuing profit in an attempt to predict their behavior, because that's really not how the world works.)
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2021-03-10 21:38:47
Link | Citer | R

Well, that's not to say that companies do not seek to maximize profits, there are just a lot of them that are ran by idiots. You can sit them down and teach them highly effective principles in Lean methodologies which seek to decrease waste and increase efficiency, and somehow they'll translate that into laying a bunch of people off, fixing none of their processes, and promptly calling it a success because their bottom line now looks better on paper (temporarily).
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-03-10 22:37:52
Link | Citer | R

I see this topic and I think "Circle takes the square" line from the old gameshow 'Hollywood Squares'.

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2021-03-10 22:47:23
Link | Citer | R

seraphila said: »
Fenrir.Niflheim said: »

Quote:

In the real world companies do not seek to maximize profits.

They don't. That is a myth that exists entirely in 100 level Econ textbooks. In real life companies seek to implement whatever arbitrary preferences management has decided to pursue. That may lead to greater profits, or it may not, but either way profit is incidental.

I used to work for a company where the primary concern of management was cutting labor costs, and the single most important rule was "no one will ever be paid overtime under any circumstances."

And if that meant that work wasn't done and customers were lost (or even outright refused service) when the company was understaffed, then so be it. They would happily lose $1,000 in revenue to save $100 in labor costs. And that's exactly what happened... frequently. Reports from management to shareholders were routinely falsified to hide these losses, and obviously shareholders have no way to know if a company is turning away potential customers, since that doesn't show up in reports at all. This was the first job I ever had where I had the ability to see all internal financial and operations reports as well as all the information being sent to the shareholders. It was quite an education.

The point is: companies do not exist for the benefit of shareholders. They do not exist for returns. They exist to serve the arbitrary preferences of management.

(Not to say that any of this relates to Sony or SE. It's just a point of personal annoyance for me when people talk about companies reliably pursuing profit in an attempt to predict their behavior, because that's really not how the world works.)
Yeah, you are incorrect.

Or at least, you are incorrect in your reasoning.

The decision to stop paying overtime was to increase profits (less expenses with the same anticipated revenue equals greater profits). If your story is true, and they lost customers over this, then it's obvious that the management team didn't conduct a study prior to making the arbitrary decision to keep labor costs low.

Even then, you do not have the full story. Unless you are an accountant, or part of the management team, you are only looking at a very small worldview of your employer's business practices. Did they really lose customers over this? Did they lose revenue? How would you know? How do you know that the Form 10-Q that is reported to the SEC (if they are a publicly traded company, as you imply) is falsified? Do you have any evidence, and if so, why haven't you brought it to the SEC?

The only true way to know how a company is doing (assuming it is publicly traded) is by looking at the annual report to shareholders that is published by the company from an audited financial disclosure. No company is going to lie on that, nobody wants to be notorious as Enron.

I think your prejudices are clouding your viewpoints.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-03-11 14:27:58
Link | Citer | R

The important question, which I don't think anybody can really answer, is whether Sony would honor SE's commitment to the mainline FF series brand.

FFXIV is what it is today because SE invested a lot of time and money into rehabilitating it from 1.0 and they didn't do that because it made financial sense to do so. XI might still be mildly profitable but the ongoing commitment to it - if not in continued service, then in not shaking us down with P2W and microtransactions to maximize short-term profit and drive us away so they can justify ending it - isn't just based on profit.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Jezard
user: Dre
By Bahamut.Jezard 2021-03-11 15:40:48
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
I don't believe this to be trustworthy at all, this rumour started from a twitter post. Also this started weeks ago and didn't come to anything.

If it did though it would be a total disaster for Square Enix, Sony are pure garbage as a company and they would completely ruin SE. Very much in the same way Activision ruined Blizzard.
I think the opposite will happen. SE is the trash company now and Sony might be the kick in the *** they need to back to them glory days.
First Page 2