Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » FPS question while multiboxing
FPS question while multiboxing
 Phoenix.Uzugami
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: SSJAV
By Phoenix.Uzugami 2020-03-18 00:15:43
Link | Citer | R

Trying to improve my FPS while using multiple characters, each of them running on their own core but I'm not entirely sure if that should be giving each one a FPS boost or not. Each one runs around 20~25FPS with all four logged in, each on a different core, while one logged in usually has 55-60FPS. Am I understanding this wrong, or am I just doing something else wrong?

Specs incase they're needed: AMD FX-4100 Quad-core Processor, 3.60GHz, 8GB RAM, Win10 64-bit
By Drayco 2020-03-18 06:08:38
Link | Citer | R

That sounds about right with that processor. I had an AMD 8350 overclocked to 5ghz and I got 25-30 on 4 chars. I 4 boxed on private servers, not retail, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Try turning off animations, lower the char on screen, turn off weather effects and shadows.

I dual box now and I run my main at 60fps and my alt at 30fps. When I tried to run both at 60fps, I'd drop frames. I'm on a Ryzen 3700x with a 2080ti too. Hardware doesn't mean a ton with this game anymore.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
Serveur: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-03-18 06:43:02
Link | Citer | R

It also helps to keep the alts on smaller windows too; greatly decreases the load.

My main is 1200 x 1000? Dunno, I’m at work.
My 4 Alts are 700x700. Can operate them all just fine but my main gets top bunk with plenty of room for things like scoreboard and timers and such. Smaller boxes and cutting out shadows,weather and such helped tons. Only place I’d see a frame drop was Domain but that stopped immediately when I learned the /hidefaith command lol
[+]
 Phoenix.Uzugami
Serveur: Phoenix
user: SSJAV
By Phoenix.Uzugami 2020-03-18 10:59:33
Link | Citer | R

Alright cool, thanks. Main places I'm seeing the issues are in Dyna D (Obvious reasons), Omen and the new content thing added recently w/e it's called. I'll give smaller windows a try as right now every alt has their own screen lol
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-03-18 11:07:20
Link | Citer | R

GPU matters too, ffxi may have a heavier cpu load than newer games but it's still going to use a good amount of gpu

but that's also a bottom of the barrel cpu, and with only 4 threads you're going to have all your background processes scattered through the same cores hosting xi.. having more cpus than chars helps significantly because it means each character is likely to be able to use a thread's full cpu time
 Leviathan.Zelllo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Zelllo
By Leviathan.Zelllo 2020-03-18 12:00:32
Link | Citer | R

The only other thing I haven't seen mentioned here are addons. Some addons are resource hogs and some alleviate some slow down. Indinope is awesome for getting some frames back. I recently turned off a lot of addons I am not actually using and got even more frames back.

Dat swaps to homepoint crystals, confluxes, and gyves are also useful.

If anyone has a solution to controller input lag, I'd be interested in hearing that personally. Sometimes I have to use enter on my keyboard because it's more responsive than my controller button. Like when multiboxing Domain Invasion.