Windows Update Killed My Windower?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Windows update killed my Windower?
Windows update killed my Windower?
By sumo 2020-02-15 12:08:23
Link | Citer | R

Just updated Windows on my PC and now when I try to open Windower, I get a C:\Program Files (x86)\Windower4\Windower.exe error saying "the specified service does not exist as an installed service" Not sure what happened as I was using windower 10 minutes ago. Sorry if this is a noob issue, just not familiar with the tech side of things.
 Odin.Drakenv
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2020-02-15 13:45:54
Link | Citer | R

sumo said: »
Just updated Windows on my PC and now when I try to open Windower, I get a C:\Program Files (x86)\Windower4\Windower.exe error saying "the specified service does not exist as an installed service" Not sure what happened as I was using windower 10 minutes ago. Sorry if this is a noob issue, just not familiar with the tech side of things.
Noticed the update and your post. Updated my windows 0 issues.
By sumo 2020-02-15 14:12:47
Link | Citer | R

It's the weirdest thing. Everything was working perfectly before I updated and now windower nor ashita want to start up. Same error message.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Senaki
Serveur: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-02-15 15:22:15
Link | Citer | R

#StopWindowOnWindowViolence
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Orestes
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Orestes78
By Quetzalcoatl.Orestes 2020-02-15 21:15:55
Link | Citer | R

Sometimes it’s helpful to pull up the windows event viewer and locate the entry for the specific app that crashed or had an error.

There’s usually more detailed report of what happened. Ex. Which service, etc.
By sumo 2020-02-15 21:42:55
Link | Citer | R

So, I'm trying to narrow down the reasons for this. So far I've found out: Anything FFXI related will not work. Vanilla, Windower, and Ashita all provide same message listed above. Additionally, I've gone through Steam (where I downloaded FFXI) and tested other games. All start up fine. So I try to uninstall FFXI so that I can get a fresh install from the POL site only to find out that the very same "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" message prevents me from doing so. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?
 Shiva.Zerowone
Serveur: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-02-15 21:45:23
Link | Citer | R

Windows System > Control panel> Programs and Features > Add a Feature (it’s at the top in blue) > enable Legacy Components (Direct Play)
[+]
By sumo 2020-02-15 21:50:24
Link | Citer | R

Only thing I see is "Turn windows features on or off" Upon selecting it, I get the same error message as before.
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-02-15 21:52:44
Link | Citer | R

Did you turn Legacy Components and check DirectPlay?

It’s required to run FFXI
By sumo 2020-02-15 21:54:39
Link | Citer | R

When I select the windows features link, I get the "The specified service does not exist as an installed service" message and it wont allow me to proceed further.
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-02-15 22:00:04
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Zerowone said: »
Quote:

Microsoft DirectX® is already included in Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows Server equivalents.

This DirectX End-User Runtime does not change the version of DirectX, but does install a number of optional side-by-side technologies from the legacy DirectX SDK that are used by some older games. For a detailed explanation see https://aka.ms/dxsetup.

The DirectX end-user installation includes the D3DX, HLSL Compiler, XInput, XAudio, and Managed DirectX 1.1 components.

Note that the DirectX Runtime (Direct3D, DirectInput, DirectSound) is not part of this package as it is included as part of the Windows operating system, and therefore cannot be installed or uninstalled.

Updating the DirectX Runtime is achieved by installing the latest Service Pack or obtaining a newer version of Windows.

For information on obtaining DirectX 11 for Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 971644.

The DirectX End-User Runtimes installer contains all of the components installed by the Web Installer in a single package and is recommended for those users that do not have an Internet connection during installation.
By sumo 2020-02-15 22:10:31
Link | Citer | R

Go figure, It wont allow me to download. Man, this issue is going so much deeper than I first imagined -.-
 Shiva.Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-02-15 22:33:59
Link | Citer | R

Roll back your update then. The fact you’re getting the service isn’t installed for Windows features is an indication somethings off.

To get started, click Start and then Settings.

Click on Update & security.

In the sidebar, choose Recovery.

Click the Get Started link under Go back to the previous version of Windows 10.

Select why you'd like to go back to a previous build and click Next. ...

Click Next once more after reading the prompt.
[+]
By sumo 2020-02-20 13:33:13
Link | Citer | R

Update: my C drive was actually failing and needed to be replaced. Got a new and coming back today. No way anyone could have known that without doing an in depth diagnostic but wanted to thank those of you who tried to help. I'll see you back in vanadiel soon!
[+]
 Bismarck.Batton
Serveur: Bismarck
user: BattonBiz
By Bismarck.Batton 2020-02-20 16:17:09
Link | Citer | R

I had something similar happen 6mo ago; no event logs, random crashes.. a stick of RAM went bad.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Guyledouche
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Guyledouche 2020-03-24 00:20:29
Link | Citer | R

Hi
I have ffxi/windower on an old desktop and windower crashes on start up. FFXI load fine vanilla. Here is my crash log. Just wondering if anyone might have an idea why its crashing.

[ 4.3.6632.29121 ] 2020-03-24 05:17:08.5466789 UTC
---------------------------------------------------------------------
System.NotSupportedException: The requested security protocol is not supported.
at System.Net.ServicePointManager.ValidateSecurityProtocol(SecurityProtocolType value)
at Launcher.LauncherApplication..ctor(SplashScreen splashinit, LauncherOptions options)
at Launcher.Bootstrap.Main(String[] args)
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````