users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Modern video game time sink
Modern video game time sink
 Shiva.Eightball
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-01-30 00:46:25
Link | Citer | R

About to head to bed but was watching a video about video game achievements that were too hard to get the other night and i was reminded of it again after clicking on my playtime for FFXI. The video in question had several achievements that are tough to get for various reasons but some of the ones on the list were for taking too long of a grind to accomplish... naturally as an FFXI player i'm thinking like 500 hours for gameplay grind but then they mentioned 20 hours to unlock some of these achievements and i couldn't help but think "20 hours thats like hardly anything", are we the crazy ones here? Does the rest of the non FFXI playing video game enthusiasts community consider 20 hours for one thing too much? Personally i have around 33k hours logged in while thats not all actual gameplay for me its likely 75% gameplay.

how much time investment for one (insert achievement here) is too much nowadays?

anyways... bed time check back in da mornin.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2020-01-30 02:15:41
Link | Citer | R

I think a measure of an achievement being worth chasing is how much you actually enjoy the game. I have encountered a fair number of people who think they need to platinum/get every achievement for any given game just because. for me, there are countless games where a "one and done" playthrough is all I am interested in, but if I am truly having fun, I am much more likely to end up getting the achievements that sap more time.

as an example: in this year's annual summary from Sony, it said I spent 100 hours in Resident Evil 2, in which I chased every achievement (while also having a lot of fun *** about afterwards). for a game that you can beat in a relatively short period that was a lot of time, but I was mostly getting those achievements because I was having so goddamned much fun with the game. I similarly got everything in Bloodstained, and beat it at least 4 times because, again, the game was such a joy for me to play. a game that is "good" or worse, I will not be arsed with bothering.
By Draylo 2020-01-30 03:18:17
Link | Citer | R

I felt the same about RE2, only the second game I ever platinumed because I enjoyed it so much. The first was the RE Remake lol.
 Bismarck.Xurion
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-01-30 03:21:54
Link | Citer | R

fillerbunny9 said: »
I think a measure of an achievement being worth chasing is how much you actually enjoy the game.
I had this achievement obsession with Fallout 3. That game just clicked with me I had to do everything.
By Ruaumoko 2020-01-30 03:58:11
Link | Citer | R

I don't think I've come across more of a time sink game when going for the Platinum than Persona 5.
By Drayco 2020-01-30 06:03:53
Link | Citer | R

I think people like us who play MMO and non-MMO RPG games are the minority. The majority plays stuff like Fortnite, COD, ect. Games where the event is over in 5-10mins and then you repeat forever.
 Asura.Reichleiu
Serveur: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2020-01-30 06:39:45
Link | Citer | R

I think it really depends on the game

I’ve platinumed Bloodborne, Dark Souls, and DS3 because I loved them and wanted to feel like they were completed. Conversely, I played through Jedi Fallen Order and have no desire to platinum it at all. Going around and collecting meaningless items, or performing the same action over and over for a trophy isn’t really an achievement to me - it’s just boring.

Something like FFXI is obviously different. Most of us have been playing this game a very long time. I probably have around 500-750 hours in the original Dark Souls because I enjoyed the PvP aspect of it. I have over 15,000 hours in this game because I’ve been playing it since 2003. Things in this game take time, and they used to take even longer, so a comparison between MMO and regular video game “achievements” really isn’t similar in any way.
By stratton 2020-01-30 08:22:47
Link | Citer | R

Xbox actually did have achievements for ffxi:
https://www.xboxachievements.com/game/final-fantasy-xi/achievements/

I remember trying to get on Xbox and activating all of them before they stopped supporting it (you had to talk to an NPC bard to activate them if I remember correctly). It was the only game other than Fallout 4 that I ever maxed the achievements.
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2020-01-30 08:35:01
Link | Citer | R

modern video games suck
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-01-30 08:41:02
Link | Citer | R

stratton said: »
Xbox actually did have achievements for ffxi:
https://www.xboxachievements.com/game/final-fantasy-xi/achievements/

I remember trying to get on Xbox and activating all of them before they stopped supporting it (you had to talk to an NPC bard to activate them if I remember correctly). It was the only game other than Fallout 4 that I ever maxed the achievements.

I got all the Xbox achievements. I managed to get the ballista one just a few hours before console support ended. Some of them took forever, like raising a Chocobo.
 Shiva.Eightball
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-01-30 09:47:22
Link | Citer | R

Lol it’s funny, I played on Xbox for a long time and knew of the Xbox achievements but they never unlocked and I never knew why lol.
 Asura.Kalimairo
user: kalimairo
By Asura.Kalimairo 2020-01-30 12:06:26
Link | Citer | R

i keep playing Zone of the enders 2 replaying it everyday does not matter i keep getting better and better finished the game on hard mode only with 3 hours still a long way to go speed run is 43 mins lol. it never gets boring u learn something new every time.
By stratton 2020-01-30 12:29:15
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Eightball said: »
Lol it’s funny, I played on Xbox for a long time and knew of the Xbox achievements but they never unlocked and I never knew why lol.

Same, I literally got all mine back-to-back, when they announced the discontinuing of service. This was they guy that set achievements:
https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Title_Changer
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-01-30 13:06:50
Link | Citer | R

I never understood boy scouts and the need to get a badge.
[+]
By stratton 2020-01-30 14:39:53
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Elizabet said: »

What pulls me in:
1. Achievements systems sometimes unlock features of games or act as currency to buy other games
2. Use as a road map. In an era of 5+ year old MMOs and Game of the Year edition of gamez, a lot content is lost to time. (even from wiki splash pages) And scanning the achievements can show you a raid, dlc or strange mini game you may have missed. Disclaimer they aren't always as game breaking awesome like Moblin Mazes or Monstrosity.
By Draylo 2020-01-30 15:03:53
Link | Citer | R

I honestly don't like how the switch doesn't have achievements, I feel it increases the longevity of the games life. There were some achievements in RE remake for example, I would never do if there wasn't a trophy. I think its fun to collect them and see what people have done.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2020-01-30 15:09:29
Link | Citer | R

Would all of Vize's achievements count as "Platinum" because... ya know...
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-01-30 15:12:49
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Elizabet said: »

stratton said: »
What pulls me in:
1. Achievements systems sometimes unlock features of games or act as currency to buy other games

What game/service would that be?
By fillerbunny9 2020-01-30 15:49:35
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Would all of Vize's achievements count as "Platinum" because... ya know...

Sapphire Reserve
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-01-30 19:34:26
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Azriel said: »
What game/service would that be?

uPlay from ubi lets you buy extra stuff (like cosmetics and ***using the uplay token currency thing, and you gain those via achievements. But not actual full game AFAIK.
 Asura.Ajirha
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2020-01-31 04:42:00
Link | Citer | R

yeah most game from uPlay have milestones in them where you get some currency as achievement. then you can buy ingame stuff and some other things like wallpaper with that currency. can actualyl be used for games other than the one you got the currency from iirc
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-01-31 07:53:33
Link | Citer | R

With all of the in-game titles we have, I wonder which is the rarest to have now, among active players. In the past, it would have been Balli*****star Royale, for winning the multi-server Ballista Royale Tournament, but that was 14-15 years ago, and I'm not sure any of those players are still active. They would also have the rarest in-game items, the Laurel Crown, since only 20 players received those.
By Afania 2020-01-31 09:06:00
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Eightball said: »
About to head to bed but was watching a video about video game achievements that were too hard to get the other night and i was reminded of it again after clicking on my playtime for FFXI. The video in question had several achievements that are tough to get for various reasons but some of the ones on the list were for taking too long of a grind to accomplish... naturally as an FFXI player i'm thinking like 500 hours for gameplay grind but then they mentioned 20 hours to unlock some of these achievements and i couldn't help but think "20 hours thats like hardly anything", are we the crazy ones here? Does the rest of the non FFXI playing video game enthusiasts community consider 20 hours for one thing too much? Personally i have around 33k hours logged in while thats not all actual gameplay for me its likely 75% gameplay.

how much time investment for one (insert achievement here) is too much nowadays?

anyways... bed time check back in da mornin.

I haven't spend more than 20 hours on a single player game in past 5 years. Last time when I played a game for over 50 hours it was ff13 back in 2014.

Most of the time I play a game for 10-20hr then quit. Anything longer than that I got bored.

When I play ff11 I generally play 4-6hr per week. Anything longer than that I get bored too.

If I'm just sitting in town chatting and afking I don't count that as playing ffxi though. It's the same thing as using Facebook, socializing.

I can, however, spend a LONG time socializing, in ffxi/on FB/reddit/rl. I guess that's what makes game hour in ffxi really long, not necessarily the gameplay.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-31 12:31:19
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
With all of the in-game titles we have, I wonder which is the rarest to have now, among active players. In the past, it would have been Balli*****star Royale, for winning the multi-server Ballista Royale Tournament, but that was 14-15 years ago, and I'm not sure any of those players are still active. They would also have the rarest in-game items, the Laurel Crown, since only 20 players received those.

I'm sure there are some rarely-seen titles one could get from the oddball esoteric quest that isn't done much, but I hardly count finding some needless quest as an "achievement". For several years after release, the titles "Virtuous Saint" and "Pandemonium Queller" were easily the two most coveted titles in the game, and before removal of the level cap, rightfully so.