Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Tanking multiple mobs on pup
Tanking multiple mobs on pup
 Shiva.Hach
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: prajna
By Shiva.Hach 2020-01-18 19:43:24
Link | Citer | R

I was looking for some advice on tanking strats or techniques for tanking a boss + adds like this months Ambuscade. I have just returned after couple years and trying to gear my gear up to snuff. I have mostly Alluvion Skirmish with pet -pdt/regen/mag eva and Ohrmazd with pet tanking augs. My gear isn't best but not terrible. I don't have Herc or Rao yet but some +1 Ambu main pieces.

I am mastered and almost pet pdt capped (maybe 10 away). Pet takes very little damage. So i was asked to tank the adds and dps boss. I am wondering can pup effectively tanks multiple mobs with its toolkit and if so how do you experts do it?

Thanks for any help.
By Nariont 2020-01-18 20:44:01
Link | Citer | R

short answer is its incredibly annoying/impossible to do it in any timely manner.

if you actually want any hate, vent only works on a single target, the puppet has no means of self-generating hate like foil outside of cures which are incredibly unreliable for a hate tool, that leaves strobe/flash bulb which again, single target.

if its a case of holding mobs, puppet can do that for days, what makes them nice in dyna-d, long as noone touches the adds puppet can hold them for days, but thats all it is, holding. In the case of ambu, unless ants work differently all it takes is for someone to drop a cure and those adds will shift immediately since ambu is zone wide hate, so i dont think itd do too well beyond N, but others can maybe chime in with more/better info.
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-01-18 20:51:14
Link | Citer | R

super tank
and don't bother in ambuscade because of zone's hate
By clearlyamule 2020-01-18 21:05:16
Link | Citer | R

Ambuscade isn't precisely zone wide hate it's everyone is on the list. If you can get the mobs on the auto and continue to do hate actions out of range it's possible... but that's not the easiest thing in the world to do most the time
 Shiva.Hach
By Shiva.Hach 2020-01-19 01:27:52
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the replies. Also, forgot to mention the Antican Sand Trap is a petrify & hate reset, which adds a complication. Pup should have an aoe flashbulb attachment.
 Asura.Bixbite
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Bixbite 2020-01-19 01:41:49
Link | Citer | R

Heady Artifice whm head (benediction) will work as an Aoe hate grab for ambuscade.

E.g You use after the boss spawns it’s first set of adds and it will pick them up.

Pup works better tanking multiple mobs for other pups.
Because other jobs take too many actions within 30 yalms of their target and will eventually cause adds picked up by heady to start chasing them.
 Shiva.Hach
By Shiva.Hach 2020-01-19 01:48:50
Link | Citer | R

Yes I actually did do heady once we had 2 adds. It worked for a short while but either they got hit with dmg or the hate reset made me lose them. Then i was back to switching targets, which is really slow at gaining hate back.
 Odin.Senaki
Serveur: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-01-19 02:20:51
Link | Citer | R

Tanking more than one monsters on Puppetmaster is a story Puppetmasters of old would tell rookies to give them hope. It's a fairy tale, that is all.
 Shiva.Malthar
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2020-01-19 04:45:40
Link | Citer | R

The perfect way to tank on pup is to go pld or run main.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2020-01-19 06:48:47
Link | Citer | R

Most you can reliably hold hate on without busting out SP2 is 3 mobs, and it takes quite a bit of effort with risk to the master.

Puppet Engage Mob 1 and Strobe with 3 Fire.
Switch Puppet Target to Mob 2 and Add Light Manuever for Flash.
With /pld Flash, Sentinel, etc Mob 3 > Ventriloquy enmity to pet.

Then it's a matter of cycling those three mobs with the puppet's flash/voke. You can add more with the Ventriloquy, but hate decay will probably cause them to run all over the place.
 Shiva.Hach
By Shiva.Hach 2020-01-19 22:00:25
Link | Citer | R

hmm never thought of /pld. didn't people used to use /blu for a similar hate tactic. have not seen anyone doing that since i came back this time.
 Shiva.Malthar
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2020-01-19 22:21:58
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Most you can reliably hold hate on without busting out SP2 is 3 mobs, and it takes quite a bit of effort with risk to the master.

Puppet Engage Mob 1 and Strobe with 3 Fire.
Switch Puppet Target to Mob 2 and Add Light Manuever for Flash.
With /pld Flash, Sentinel, etc Mob 3 > Ventriloquy enmity to pet.

Then it's a matter of cycling those three mobs with the puppet's flash/voke. You can add more with the Ventriloquy, but hate decay will probably cause them to run all over the place.

Did you jump server Maha?