Thinking Of Coming Back. Laptop Suggestions

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Thinking of coming back. Laptop suggestions
Thinking of coming back. Laptop suggestions
By Gawdless 2019-05-08 00:59:39
Link | Citer | R

Hey everyone. Sorry I suck at searching but need suggestions on a laptop that will run Xi at 60fps. I'm thinking of waiting on a thin bezel g-sync release but I think all those will have rtx. Don't think I need something that... Pricey. I will also use this for other games and some light work. Was wondering if Nvidia Optimus works with AMD Ryzen? Cause this laptop at best buy looks like it could do the trick.
Your text to link here...
By kishr 2019-05-08 04:07:39
Link | Citer | R

Played this on a pentium slot 400mhz fine 15 years ago.
Anything recent built for gaming is fine.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: voiceless
By Asura.Swaggernaught 2019-05-08 05:56:44
Link | Citer | R

kishr said: »
Played this on a pentium slot 400mhz fine 15 years ago.
Anything recent built for gaming is fine.
that was actually the best for xi., i remamber it was very smooth.
[+]
By kishr 2019-05-08 06:43:10
Link | Citer | R

Need to change it to legacy setting, I use laptop at 60fps np
 Bahamut.Neb
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Neb
By Bahamut.Neb 2019-05-08 06:45:27
Link | Citer | R

I just got a new Laptop and you need to use DgVoodoo or else it will not use the graphics card and the game will run like *** on the dedicated graphics laptops all have to save energy just an FYI. What I got was a Asus TUF series with a I5-8400 and a 1050 and it rocks the game at 60FPS so anything close to that or better should be great. and what you have there is way more then enough for this game for sure.
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
Serveur: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2019-05-08 07:40:51
Link | Citer | R

kireek said: »
From what I gather this game does not work well with laptops, it's far more stable on desktops. The problem seems to be that it's so old that most laptops default it to run on the onboard chipset instead of the graphics card, so it runs at like 2fps.

Someone else might be able to correct me on that, or know of a way to fix it though.

My old laptop had a 1st gen i7 and some ***GPU and i ran 3-4 characters on it just fine until about 6 months ago when i finally upgraded to a pc
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Serveur: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-05-08 08:32:37
Link | Citer | R

Youll need to use dgvoodoo or atomos' laptop dx fix for ashita if you get a newer laptop. Ashita fix imo is easier, as its just drag n drop.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-05-08 10:09:51
Link | Citer | R

I just upgraded my "all purpose" laptop for the 4th time in 10 years to a Gaming Laptop on Monday. I used to use standard Asus, Toshiba etc, and they all ended up being slow, clunky, and just not sufficient for the eye popping magic I really wanted. They were also a bit pricy for what I used them for, so I decided to try a gaming laptop. Needless to say, I am satisfied with it so far for ffxi.

This is what I got (bought it through Ebates for 6.80$ in cash back):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602

Definitely a good piece of metal on a budget so far, but I don't claim to be a gaming pc guru. There's probably better out there, but for a FFXI machine out the box to be able to do multiple things at once, this is doing the job so far. I also agree with the comments above about customizing the gameplay by using dgvoodoo. It definitely has enhanced the game graphically compared to what I was using on my Toshiba/Asus
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-05-08 10:45:48
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, there are a number of models like that one that likely have some deals available since they're last year's models. 1050Ti or 1060 is still great for FFXI (and other stuff) though, and many new versions are still using the same 8th gen CPUs...so might as well save a buck IMO. I bought a 1060 variant of this chassis when Cyberpower was clearing them, and it's been great for gaming, including FFXI, though it does use Optimus so dgVoodoo/etc is needed.

I believe there are options (HP Omen for instance) that "direct" connect the discrete GPU though, as that's what's needed for GSync on the built in display. So those may need a little less fuss for FFXI.
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Gawdless
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2019-05-08 11:23:53
Link | Citer | R

Seems like the best way is to just get a normal laptop and use ashita or dgvoodoo. So I take it Optimus still works with AMD apu :(

I guess ill check out cyberpower, and saber as those clevo laptops look good and cheap. though i hate that i cant see how the trackpad/keyboard feel before i buy.

Additionally I will also probably look into higher model G-sync laptops as i know some allow you to swap between optimus and gsync and maybe thats a route i will go.

If anyone has anymore info let me know. or if they know for sure that Optimus doesnt work with AMD APU let me know that too. I know ffxi is an unusual game.
 Asura.Bayonette
By Asura.Bayonette 2019-05-08 14:43:11
Link | Citer | R

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL502VM/

I bought this last year. Runs ffxi like a dream. I use it 10 hours at a time, max settings, etc, and it does not overheat. I do run it on a cooling pad. The key with a laptop and FFXI is GSYNC. No graphics switching tech, just a gtx 1060 connected to a screen. I don’t use dgvoodoo, just windower.

I think mine might be the GL502VMK, Ill check when i get home.
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2019-05-08 15:19:25
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Bayonette said: »

I bought this last year. Runs ffxi like a dream. I use it 10 hours at a time, max settings, etc, and it does not overheat. I do run it on a cooling pad. The key with a laptop and FFXI is GSYNC. No graphics switching tech, just a gtx 1060 connected to a screen. I don’t use dgvoodoo, just windower.

I was looking into these. of course i was looking into the new ones that will come out soon that are thin bezel with G-sync, think they are all RTX though.

by graphic switching tech do you mean the ability to swap between gsync and optimus in the bios? that doesnt work with ffxi even if i run it in gsync?

Also how is the battery life on that? I would assume if its gsync only it has bad battery life. Just curious but this model might actually be something i get if the bios gsync/optimus swapping doesnt work with ffxi
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-05-08 15:22:55
Link | Citer | R

dgvoodoo with windower.
drag, drop, open, click a few things and done. Takes 3min to setup.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Bayonette
By Asura.Bayonette 2019-05-08 15:31:50
Link | Citer | R

Pwolf Drkgawd said: »

I was looking into these. of course i was looking into the new ones that will come out soon that are thin bezel with G-sync, think they are all RTX though.

by graphic switching tech do you mean the ability to swap between gsync and optimus in the bios? that doesnt work with ffxi even if i run it in gsync?

Also how is the battery life on that? I would assume if its gsync only it has bad battery life. Just curious but this model might actually be something i get if the bios gsync/optimus swapping doesnt work with ffxi

As I understand it. Optimus and Gsync do not coexist on a laptop. Optimus is automated tech used when there are 2 options for graphics on a laptop. A dedicated video card for gaming and integrated graphics for browsers and office apps. These laptops see POL as an office or browser app and force ffxi onto the integrated graphics, making it slow and clunky.

Gsync laptops have only a video card and everything runs on that. Battery life is probably only a few hours. I leave mine plugged in.
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2019-05-08 15:42:21
Link | Citer | R

As I understand it. Optimus and Gsync do not coexist on a laptop. Optimus is automated tech used when there are 2 options for graphics on a laptop. A dedicated video card for gaming and integrated graphics for browsers and office apps. These laptops see POL as an office or browser app and force ffxi onto the integrated graphics, making it slow and clunky.

Gsync laptops have only a video card and everything runs on that. Battery life is probably only a few hours. I leave mine plugged in.

Asus ROG make it possible to switch between gsync and optimus in the bios. think the MOBO needs a "Mux" chip or something.

I know the Asus ROG ZEPHYRUS GM501GS-XS74 has this ability. And the new models might as well. maybe only the highest end one
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2019-05-08 15:43:19
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Chaostaru said: »
dgvoodoo with windower.

Well if i end up going this way then that is great. puts Razer laptops back on the table if i decide to go that way >.> which i may not. but good to know its simple. TY for this
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-05-08 16:35:31
Link | Citer | R

dgvoodoo with windower.

Well if i end up going this way then that is great. puts Razer laptops back on the table if i decide to go that way >.> which i may not. but good to know its simple. TY for this

np, I also play on a laptop sometimes and I was getting like 6fps with a gtx 1080 on ffxi before using dgvoodoo, now solid 60fps everywhere. desktop/laptop Either way you should run dgvoodoo regardless, It makes the game look better and has the added bonus of not crashing the game when your switch displays or alt + tab. that alone is worth using it. given ffxi uses so little resources, I often have AAA titles running with ffxi in the back ground. something that just cannot be done with out dgvoodoo
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2019-05-08 17:11:02
Link | Citer | R

dgvoodoo with windower.

np, I also play on a laptop sometimes and I was getting like 6fps with a gtx 1080 on ffxi before using dgvoodoo, now solid 60fps everywhere. desktop/laptop Either way you should run dgvoodoo regardless, It makes the game look better and has the added bonus of not crashing the game when your switch displays or alt + tab. that alone is worth using it. given ffxi uses so little resources, I often have AAA titles running with ffxi in the back ground. something that just cannot be done with out dgvoodoo

oh i didnt know that. makes me want to get a laptop with thunderbolt 3 now as a must so i can have a good at home desktop setup with dual monitors (Unless for dual monitor TB3 is only needed for 4k)

thought windower took care of all what you were talking about without dgvoodoo. didnt know they work together?
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-05-08 17:37:15
Link | Citer | R

dgvoodoo with windower.

oh i didnt know that. makes me want to get a laptop with thunderbolt 3 now as a must so i can have a good at home desktop setup with dual monitors (Unless for dual monitor TB3 is only needed for 4k)

thought windower took care of all what you were talking about without dgvoodoo. didnt know they work together?

Windower took care of the crashing only by windowing the application. so you can still alt + Tab but if any other program goes full screen or if like you unplug your hdmi port or turn off your monitor. Ffxi will crash once display signal is lost.

They dont so much work together as dgvoodoo just compliments it very well. Though you do have to disable hardware mouse in windower settings to get it to work, but its not really a big deal(just have to deal with the ingame mouse cursor)
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2019-05-10 15:02:07
Link | Citer | R

Hey, anyone know what the max framerate you can get ffxi is? has anyone been able to hit 120/240? I know this game gets wonky above 60fps. just curious if someone has done it xD
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-05-10 15:03:58
Link | Citer | R

Game is meant to cap at 30, but plugins push it to 60 or uncapped. I personally like to play at 60 because above 60 fps everything goes super speed, and it looks really weird when you do stuff and look at animations.

Also heads up, some cutscenes crash FFXI if the fps is not at 30. Simply unload FastCS to fix it.
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2019-06-03 12:37:00
Link | Citer | R

So got a laptop a week ago. Specs are i7 9750h rtx2060 but only 16gb ram. havent upgraded the ram because i dont know if i will keep this laptop.

Uncapping frames its stays at 57. doesnt go higher even when using config frd 0. does DGvoodoo cap at 60? or is it the laptop that cant handle more than 60?

It does drop in town to low 50s. not sure if its the single channel memory or if its dgvoodoo that makes this not go higher than 60fps. Anyone have any insight?
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-06-03 12:47:40
Link | Citer | R

i believe 60 is the highest you can go, aside from fastcs addon observing 200+fps on cutscenes/menu interactions.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-06-03 12:58:08
Link | Citer | R

Capable:

[+]
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2019-06-03 13:02:18
Link | Citer | R

Pwolf Drkgawd

My desktop and laptop both stay at 57 and not 60 for some reason.

i7 8700k, 1080 Ti for the desktop, and i5 8xxx + 1060 for laptop.

I've used the DX8 proxy, and Voodoo, both stay at 57, not a clue as to why.
 Odin.Botosi
Serveur: Odin
user: Botosi
By Odin.Botosi 2019-06-03 13:05:06
Link | Citer | R

The 60 fps lock seems to really be ~57 FPS. I always cap out at 57.4, but it runs nice and smoothly. Never dips below 57.4 for me either. (This is on a desktop though)
By Pwolf Drkgawd 2019-06-03 13:08:23
Link | Citer | R

well i dont use dgvoodoo on desktop and can always get 100+ frames if i want to unlock. generally 120. so maybe its just dgvoodoo. I just dont like how it drops to high 40s/low50s in town. granted that could of been my ***internet at 5mbps. or single channel memory.

Or that i have dgvoodoo in default (except ram which is 1024) and have windower settings on high. maybe its better to turn settings in windower to default and dgvoodoo up. idk. didnt want to keep a laptop that didnt get at least solid 57 frames. so wasn't sure if anyone knew what could be causing it.

Edit: was thinking of getting the newer version of my laptop that comes out in a week that should have g-sync and the ability to turn off optimus in the bios. and not run dgvoodoo. which is why im thinking i may return this one. not sure what ppl get on gsync and not running voodoo