Forum » FFXI » General » Leveling mage jobs with trusts
Leveling mage jobs with trusts
 Asura.Msmissy
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-03-09 16:59:30
Link | Citer | R

More specifically.... whm. I’ve recently returned to the game and would like to get my whm up to 99 (she’s currently lvl 76). I’ve learned about the trusts and exping with them etc, however....

As a whm, our job was always in the background, we didn’t typically engage in dd etc (not that I’m apposed to breaking out my Reverend Mail and a club and going to town). Exp’ing only with trusts required that we attack and engage with the mobs, making it very difficult to stay back and buff, heal etc so skillups are few and far between.

Is there something that I’m missing that will make this easier? I’ve got macros built, but talk about a pain when you have to switch targets to engage in healing etc.

TYIA.....
 Lakshmi.Ashtopcat
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: ashtopcat
By Lakshmi.Ashtopcat 2019-03-09 17:32:04
Link | Citer | R

use <stal> (in the macro)then you can go up or down in the party list
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-09 17:40:56
Link | Citer | R

I'm doing this right now on summoner. Completely naked. Shantotto 2, a good skill chainer team (aagk works well with zeid) a tank like August or aahm, and you can call your healer of choice. Then just engage and let them do the rest. If you're in escha with vorseals, they will rip through everything without you ever needing to do any more than engage the monster. Don't even have to heal, your trust can handle that
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-03-09 18:26:57
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Ashtopcat said: »

Could you explain that a bit further?
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-03-09 18:56:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Msmissy said: »
Lakshmi.Ashtopcat said: »

Could you explain that a bit further?

Nvrmind, I googled it. I completely forgot about <stpt> etc. very helpful, thank you kindly for the reminder.
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-03-09 18:58:00
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I'm doing this right now on summoner. Completely naked. Shantotto 2, a good skill chainer team (aagk works well with zeid) a tank like August or aahm, and you can call your healer of choice. Then just engage and let them do the rest. If you're in escha with vorseals, they will rip through everything without you ever needing to do any more than engage the monster. Don't even have to heal, your trust can handle that

That won’t help in regards to skilling up healing and enhancing magic at all. Guess I could just rely on campaign or besieged for those.
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2019-03-09 19:11:44
Link | Citer | R

That won’t help in regards to skilling up healing and enhancing magic at all. Guess I could just rely on campaign or besieged for those.

https://github.com/smd111/Gearswap-Skillup

thats what this is for
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-03-09 19:14:34
Link | Citer | R

to skill up, wear the Skill up sparks gear, stack refresh gear, and stand in shinryu paradox with MM atma on then cast barstone or cure over and over to skill up. wont take long.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-09 21:48:50
Link | Citer | R

Just buy skill up books. During Gain exp. Will take you an hour or two tops to cap out skill. Not hard at all.
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2019-03-09 22:52:33
Link | Citer | R

summon a trust and cure/enhance them, that's faster than casting on yourself.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Serveur: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2019-03-09 23:56:48
Link | Citer | R

More specifically.... whm. I’ve recently returned to the game and would like to get my whm up to 99 (she’s currently lvl 76). I’ve learned about the trusts and exping with them etc, however....

As a whm, our job was always in the background, we didn’t typically engage in dd etc (not that I’m apposed to breaking out my Reverend Mail and a club and going to town). Exp’ing only with trusts required that we attack and engage with the mobs, making it very difficult to stay back and buff, heal etc so skillups are few and far between.

Is there something that I’m missing that will make this easier? I’ve got macros built, but talk about a pain when you have to switch targets to engage in healing etc.

TYIA.....

The answers provided are all very good.

If going for Healing Skill, your absolute best bet is to summon support trusts and go fighting any Undead that's lv.99 or higher (Ra'Kaznar is a quick choice) Just engage and spam Cure on the target. Healing causes Damage to Undead and will increase your healing skill much faster than standard healing will.

If going for Enfeebling, do the same thing but to Uragnites just outside of Adoulin. They are higher than lv.99 and are very quick to retreat into shell and Regen so you can literally just Engage with Support trusts and you're at a perfect stalemate. Just spam Dia + other stuff until capped (I can't remember if Dia needs to deal at least ONE damage to gain a skillup or not.. if not, Para, Poison, Slow, etc)

Going for other skills? As long as they have some sort of spammable offensive spell that can't really miss, the Uragnite method will work for all of them except Geomancy... Unfortunately those cool little -Ra spells are all still classed as Elemental so it's Bubble-blasters for you...

If going for Enhancing, use the link Fondue posted. It really is the best way honestly. Can just start it, go to sleep or shopping or work or babyslaying and when you come back, you're most likely all set lol. If capped RoV KIs, should probably take something like 2-3 hours to go from 0 to capped iirc? I think 4-6 hours if No RoV KIs.

Melee Skills? Uragnite Method.
Just equip any low level weapon, I don't believe there's a damage check for weapon skillups so the lower the better. Summon trusts geared for support, refresh and one or two good healers and one for Accuracy or w/e. Engage and afk.. You'll whale away at it unable to kill it and it unable to kill you and just take in free skillups so just come back every once in awhile to make sure nothing stupid happened and you're good to go! (Sometimes the healer trust takes hate and you're left there with your stick out like an idiot for God knows how long)

BUT

If you're thinking about the books, be forewarned... They suck.. You'll need what seems like a couple thousand of them because they only give you .1~.3 per use so that's right around 6 books per POINT of skill? Yeah... no thank you lol.

Hope the information helps.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-10 00:13:41
Link | Citer | R

I'm almost positive for Melee skills, you should be doing reives with a low level weapon, since they have 0 (or very close to it) evasion and you will struggle to miss it. Works on automatons also I believe.
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-03-10 08:29:42
Link | Citer | R

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. It’s been a challenge coming back after being gone since 2012.
By Nekseus 2019-03-10 11:53:51
Link | Citer | R

I've rerolled on FFXI a lot(particularly in it's later days) so give this a read.

First: Kudos for picking to main WHM.

WHM is one of the best starting jobs for new/returning players...

1) You dont need a ton of gear and progress to start being useful.

2) Most other people hate playing healers so you have less competition for your role.

3) The other jobs who can heal can not do it nearly as easily as a whm.

Melee While Leveling WHM on a new character:
First, for now you need to set aside the idea of WHM being a healer or even a mage. Obviously you picked whm for that reason but youll get your fill of healing at 99. You should keep in mind that while leveling a new character(no matter what job) is that your most likely better off doing part of the DPS. Especially if you dont really have many decent trust. You are better off in most cases using a whm trust to main heal and you just focus on melee. One big point to be made about using trust to heal is that you can periodically resummon them to refill their MP. Something you can't do for your WHM.

Priority for gear is the highest DMG clubs you can get. Hammers are the best melee variation of clubs so stick with them. Pay attention to the actual damage value of your club rather than it's level. Generally there isn't much real good gear for low level healing and you should just focus on picking up what you can for melee gear. Honestly the hammer is the only big deal, just at least occasionally upgrade armor for sake of defense.

Sub Jobs:
It would do you well to unlock NIN for Dual-Wield or at least DNC(which is a much easier option).

Weaponskills:
Skillchains were modified in the more recent past. As well as a lot of older WS's. So chaining is ever more than before, an efficient way to level quick and with a club you will see a significant DPS boost from focusing more on skillchaining rather than zerging.

Your first good WS is Seraph Strike. It's fTP starts a little more than 2x and it scales very evenly from 1~3k. So there's little loss from holding TP for chains unless your sitting on 3k. Alignment is Impaction which happens to close and open for a lot of common WS's. Most notably liquifaction > impaction = fusion Its worth noting that at low to mid levels, closing fusion with seraph strike effectively makes most dps trust(available to a new player) look awful.

The next good WS is True Strike which is both detonation and impaction. It is also both a melee dmg WS(seraph strike is magic dmg). Its dmg doesnt increase from TP but instead it's accuracy does. It's crit rate is 100% so get some accuracy food and it should serve you well(sushi).

At level 67(and 220 club skill) you'll get the creme dela creme, Hexa Strike. A 6 hit, critical hit WS with the Fusion skillchain property. It really needs no explanation.

Trusts:

I dont know which trusts you got. Whether you had been active during a trust campaign, your missions, etc. I'll cover whats mostly available at a bare minimum. One thing to always remember is trusts dont level up when you do. You have to resummon them to bring them up to your level. This can make a big difference if you are grinding a lot of levels in the same area.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Trust#Alter_Egos_by_Role

The best early game trusts (that come to mind and i'm sure i'll miss some)

DPS trusts:
*a = A trust who tries to close skillchains and otherwise wont use tp till it reaches 3k.
*b = Obtained by Records of Eminence objective: Tutorial > Basics

Ayame: She's a sam and has a simple useful logic. She remembers your most recent WS and will try to open a SC for it if you have 1000+ TP. She doesnt have Shoha or Rana which means she doesnt have fragmentation or gravitation. Obtained from Bastok mission progress.

SemihLafihna: An amazing easy to obtain DPS. A rng who truly embodies the meaning of glass cannon. Unfortunately she doesnt understand that sometimes and is prone to AOE WS's at times. Try to avoid crowds of mobs with her. You can easily burn through levels with just you and her as DD's. (*a) Obtained from Windy Mission progression.

Tenzen Not bad but not as good as Semih. (*a) (*b)

Shantotto II Login campaign trust but worth mentioning in case you got her. A nuker and the absolute best magic burster. Has good DPS even without burst opportunities.

Adelheid The easiest trust to get that magic bursts, mostly helixes for high DoTs. Shes not the best at it but she can bring more to the table than a mediocre dd when you have your chaining down.(*b)

Zeid II Pretty solid DD. Uses stun sometimes. (a*) RoV mission progress

Tanks:

Valaineral: typically he will be your best tank trust for awhile. (*b)

Volker A WAR tank with better DPS than other wars, typically keeps hate if dmg isnt spiking. Not a bad option for adding extra dps if you got him. Bastok missions.

Healers

Rule of thumb. Be in either Yoran-oran or Apururu's unity. They are the best trust healers. Both have auto regain(TP generation) and exclusively use a WS called knott which recovers mp. At times they dont really like to use it for what ever reason. This behavior particularly happens at low levels and gets better as levels increase. kinda...

Yoran-Oran The more MP efficient of the two. Doesnt use curagas, doesnt cast haste.

Apururu Can get trigger happy with MP. Uses curagas, uses haste.

Support Roles

There arent many options when starting fresh. Check the section in the link above. Silvie is a great option that is availible by joining her unity. But you sacrifice the best WHMs.
Btw...

don't use <stal> for healing. Use f-keys to party select and write macros with <stpc>. stal is intended for controller users... draw back of f-key/stpc is if you dont use windower or ashita you cant bind alt+f1-6 and ctrl+f1-6 for alliance selection. Automatically configured in the init's for both apps.

If you dont use it you really should...

http://www.windower.net/

The only excuse for not using windower is being an ashita user. But ashita is not very newbie friendly

:P

Familiarize yourself with Weapons Attributes and Skillchains

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Weapon_Skills

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Skillchains
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Skillchain

Also this, I never used it but I hear a lot of ppl say they did.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Quickstart_1-119_Guide
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-03-10 13:18:08
Link | Citer | R

SemihLafihna is absurdly broken and a good trust choice early on. She'll close some devastating skill chains with sidewinder,which she learns early on. Will also ssbarrage with zero regard to hate. Absolute beast early on
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-03-10 14:27:35
Link | Citer | R

Nekseus said: »
I've rerolled on FFXI a lot(particularly in it's later days) so give this a read.

2) Most other people hate playing healers so you have less competition for your role.

First, for now you need to set aside the idea of WHM being a healer or even a mage. Obviously you picked whm for that reason but youll get your fill of healing at 99. You should keep in mind that while leveling a new character(no matter what job) is that your most likely better off doing part of the DPS. Especially if you dont really have many decent trust. You are better off in most cases using a whm trust to main heal and you just focus on melee. One big point to be made about using trust to heal is that you can periodically resummon them to refill their MP. Something you can't do for your WHM.

Priority for gear is the highest DMG clubs you can get. Hammers are the best melee variation of clubs so stick with them. Pay attention to the actual damage value of your club rather than it's level. Generally there isn't much real good gear for low level healing and you should just focus on picking up what you can for melee gear. Honestly the hammer is the only big deal, just at least occasionally upgrade armor for sake of defense.

Sub Jobs:
It would do you well to unlock NIN for Dual-Wield or at least DNC(which is a much easier option).

Weaponskills:
Skillchains were modified in the more recent past. As well as a lot of older WS's. So chaining is ever more than before, an efficient way to level quick and with a club you will see a significant DPS boost from focusing more on skillchaining rather than zerging.

Your first good WS is Seraph Strike. It's fTP starts a little more than 2x and it scales very evenly from 1~3k. So there's little loss from holding TP for chains unless your sitting on 3k. Alignment is Impaction which happens to close and open for a lot of common WS's. Most notably liquifaction > impaction = fusion Its worth noting that at low to mid levels, closing fusion with seraph strike effectively makes most dps trust(available to a new player) look awful.

The next good WS is True Strike which is both detonation and impaction. It is also both a melee dmg WS(seraph strike is magic dmg). Its dmg doesnt increase from TP but instead it's accuracy does. It's crit rate is 100% so get some accuracy food and it should serve you well(sushi).

At level 67(and 220 club skill) you'll get the creme dela creme, Hexa Strike. A 6 hit, critical hit WS with the Fusion skillchain property. It really needs no explanation.

Trusts:

I dont know which trusts you got. Whether you had been active during a trust campaign, your missions, etc. I'll cover whats mostly available at a bare minimum. One thing to always remember is trusts dont level up when you do. You have to resummon them to bring them up to your level. This can make a big difference if you are grinding a lot of levels in the same area.

DPS trusts:
*a = A trust who tries to close skillchains and otherwise wont use tp till it reaches 3k.

Ayame: She's a sam and has a simple useful logic. She remembers your most recent WS and will try to open a SC for it if you have 1000+ TP. She doesnt have Shoha or Rana which means she doesnt have fragmentation or gravitation. Obtained from Bastok mission progress.

SemihLafihna: An amazing easy to obtain DPS. A rng who truly embodies the meaning of glass cannon. Unfortunately she doesnt understand that sometimes and is prone to AOE WS's at times. Try to avoid crowds of mobs with her. You can easily burn through levels with just you and her as DD's. (*a) Obtained from Windy Mission progression.

Shantotto II Login campaign trust but worth mentioning in case you got her. A nuker and the absolute best magic burster. Has good DPS even without burst opportunities.

Adelheid The easiest trust to get that magic bursts, mostly helixes for high DoTs. Shes not the best at it but she can bring more to the table than a mediocre dd when you have your chaining down.(*b)

Tanks:

Volker A WAR tank with better DPS than other wars, typically keeps hate if dmg isnt spiking. Not a bad option for adding extra dps if you got him. Bastok missions.

Healers

Rule of thumb. Be in either Yoran-oran or Apururu's unity. They are the best trust healers. Both have auto regain(TP generation) and exclusively use a WS called knott which recovers mp. At times they dont really like to use it for what ever reason. This behavior particularly happens at low levels and gets better as levels increase. kinda...

Yoran-Oran The more MP efficient of the two. Doesnt use curagas, doesnt cast haste.

Support Roles

There arent many options when starting fresh. Check the section in the link above. Silvie is a great option that is availible by joining her unity. But you sacrifice the best WHMs.
Btw...

don't use <stal> for healing. Use f-keys to party select and write macros with <stpc>. stal is intended for controller users... draw back of f-key/stpc is if you dont use windower or ashita you cant bind alt+f1-6 and ctrl+f1-6 for alliance selection. Automatically configured in the init's for both apps.

The only excuse for not using windower is being an ashita user. But ashita is not very newbie friendly

So if I want a good healer trust I need to switch unity to a windy based one?
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2019-03-10 14:33:46
Link | Citer | R

no, if you're just leveling the normal ones work fine.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-03-10 14:35:04
Link | Citer | R

Nekseus said: »

Sub Jobs:

Weaponskills:

Trusts:

DPS trusts:

Tanks:

Healers

Support Roles

Btw...

So if I want a good healer trust I need to switch unity to a windy based one?

Switch unity to yoran or apu
 Asura.Msmissy
By Asura.Msmissy 2019-03-10 18:43:54
Link | Citer | R

I’ll do that tomorrow.... iirc I’ll need to log 10 roe things before I can use my existing trusts and work on getting new ones?
By Nekseus 2019-03-10 20:11:34
Link | Citer | R

level with yoran, semih, val, and who ever else. it'll be a total joke. just focus on melee.

healing magic skill is no where near as hard to catch up on as it use to be. same goes for all skills. theres skill up books from ROE vendor, they also sell gear that helps skill ups and the skill up foods are cheap now that you can get them from curio moogle.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Temachtiani_Shirt
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Temachtiani_Gloves
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Skill_Up_Food

the rest of tamachi set is combat skill.
 Cerberus.Boogs
Serveur: Cerberus
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2019-03-10 20:51:57
Link | Citer | R

Unless they recently changed the way trusts work, I believe the trust levels are based on the Item level (i.e. the average level of your gear). So if you're going naked, it is hurting the strength of your party.
By kishr 2019-03-10 22:10:34
Link | Citer | R

ilv hits after 99 thus not being important to leveling.
Make a macro for the trusts you use and a /returntrusts all macro for releasing them every lv or every few lv's and can be naked, the trusts do all the work after you do the first hit.