Questions About Buying A Desktop With FFXI In Mind

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Questions about buying a desktop with FFXI in mind
Questions about buying a desktop with FFXI in mind
By Creecreelo 2019-02-04 15:24:56
Link | Citer | R

Hey everyone!

I've been looking into getting a desktop for gaming that could also run FFXI well, nothing crazy intensive or expensive. It seems playing FFXI on desktop is a much smoother experience these days than on laptop, but I just had some more questions in regards to this.

I've read on some forums that running FFXI on modern desktops shouldn't prove to run into issues like it would on a modern laptop. How true is this? I've ran XI on a laptop with dgvoodoo in the past and really didn't care for it and found it cumbersome. Would there still have to be workarounds to deal with to play XI on a desktop?

As far as pre-built vs. building my own, I have looked a lot into building my own, watched a ton of videos and tutorials, and think I could actually do it despite being my first. However, the allure of pre-built is definitely there for me in order to save time and have a sense of security in not having it all fall on me. Looking up good pre-built desktops lead me to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B6H4GNY/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=scattervoltyt-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07B6H4GNY&linkId=c1d47d20106d838e0fd73e5230e8f52c

Which then lead me to a "newer model" in this one:

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Xtreme-GXiVR8060A5-i5-8400-GeForce/dp/B0757DVF4Z/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I've heard mixed things about CyberPower. Do either of these look decent enough?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate any input or advice on the matter. Thank you!
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-04 15:33:29
Link | Citer | R

if your general personality is detail-oriented, doing a self-build these days is incredibly straightforward and shouldn't be a problem. And in many ways I think that you'll find it far easier to customize a system for FFXI than finding a prebuild set up "ideally" for such a legacy game.

I don't work in technology, never delved inside my tower outside of swapping memory sticks, and have done 2 self builds now with no problems or surprises. My background is actually that of a professional musician and now an instrument repair tech, so fine motor skills and attention to detail are certainly in my past, but in a very unrelated field.

I'll let those who make their rent in this field answer your direct question(s) about comparison, but I wanted to give you the take of a non techie regarding self builds.
By abdhaljs 2019-02-04 15:40:28
Link | Citer | R

Need a top of the line desktop PC with overclocked everything to run Oregon Trail from the Apple II. If you can run that, then you can run FFXI optimized.
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 15:45:31
Link | Citer | R

1. You should probably use dgvoodoo either way.

2. If you want to be secure in your purchase but something like a slightly used business midtower with a warranty and add in a half decent (4gb+) gpu.

3. The main thing to worry with on purchased computers is cheap parts including the psu.

4. stay away from anything with the label "gaming PC" I wouldn't consider either of those gaming PCs. They both only have 8gb of ram, the one doesn't even have a ssd. I wouldn't recommend them for normal use much less "gaming." That being said the requirements for XI are more about getting it to work in a stable manner with modern resolutions than anything, which is where most hiccup when they say HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***like "potato" and "toaster."

Something like this setup "should" work:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Quad-Core-Professional-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B077N5TLVR/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1549316163&sr=8-5&keywords=dell+9020

https://www.amazon.com/Geforce-Phoenix-Graphics-PH-GTX1050TI-4G-Graphic/dp/B01M360WG6/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549316233&sr=8-1-fkmr3&keywords=asus+nvidia+1060+4gb

That tower should be upgradable on the cheap to at least 16gb of ram, and SHOULD fit that card, maybe. CPU is comparable in performance on benchmarks too. Could probably find a much better deal otherwise but that is what I found in about 5 minutes.

Thing with dgvoodoo is that it allows the game to be run on your dedicated graphics chip instead of the integrated, which Windows 10 will force the integrated when it comes to XI. With a desktop you can usually disable on the integrated graphics in the "bios" which isn't usually an option in consumer grade laptops, and possibly not on budget motherboards in desktops either (I know the model above allows it.) While on an effectively single (decent) gpu system you shouldn't need dgvoodoo you should still run it, although it may take tweaking the settings to get a stable run depending on the gpu etc.

tl;dr don't buy that garbage above and definitely stay away from ibuypower (loltaru).
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 15:51:14
Link | Citer | R

Follow up: reason I suggest using a business grade model for most people anymore is that replacement parts are easy to get, business buy the things buy the hundreds/thousands and it's easy to keep running. Biggest complaint about that model (aside from a tight fit on the video card) is the cheap rubber fan holders, replace them with fan screws, easy and quick fix.
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 15:56:32
Link | Citer | R

Im on a gaming laptop and ffxi ran like ***with out dgvoodoo, since dgvoodoo, nothing but smooth 60+fps on 3 accounts

If dgvoodoo didnt work, You didnt do something right.
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 16:04:41
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Chaostaru said: »
gaming laptop

Quote:
You didnt do something right
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 16:23:25
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
gaming laptop

Quote:
You didnt do something right

thunderbolt 3 into dual external gtx 1080 ti's on a 70in oled tv.

Stealth, Quiet, Sleeper.

I did it right.
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 16:28:24
Link | Citer | R

Pretty sure you can get better speeds out of a nvme M.2 adapter but meh. You'd be better off with a desktop, but you know what they say about a fool and their money.

Also no, nobody buying something that is labeled as "gaming" is doing something right. :P
[+]
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 16:34:26
Link | Citer | R

youd get better performance for cheaper compared to a laptop forsure. But along as you can play every AAA game on ultra settings with 0 hiccups 100+fps. Your doing something right. I didnt want a 4 ft tall roaring case in my bedroom.. Real pc is in the gaming room. This setup you cant even tell a computer is in the room.

aesthetics are important to some people.

Also it wasn't labeled "gaming laptop" I built this one.

though honestly, Its missing the Top to laptop. There is no flip up screen
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 16:36:33
Link | Citer | R

*** and it's "you're." You're doing it wrong.

Yes you "built" a laptop, sure, kid.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 16:38:16
Link | Citer | R

ah yes, resorting to grammar nazi-ism. That's how you know you've won

if you could read you'd see its not a complete laptop, Kid.
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 16:39:01
Link | Citer | R

The fact that you think anyone is trying to "win" is proof you already lost.

I can read just fine, you're apparently too ignorant to even know what you type.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 16:40:52
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
I can read just fine what you type.

Its missing the Top to laptop. There is no flip up screen

Try again.
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 16:43:09
Link | Citer | R

Ah edits then claim others can't read. You're such a child on top of being a fool with your money.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 16:46:14
Link | Citer | R

Lmao nice excuse kid. You sound jealous my man. I wasn't trying to gloat so get that sand outta your vag.
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 16:48:55
Link | Citer | R

Not at all, kid.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 16:50:36
Link | Citer | R

That's good then, You're 1 step closer to becoming an adult.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-02-04 16:53:14
Link | Citer | R

It's a bit ridiculous to say that anything with the word 'gaming' is a bad buy. Many things might be, but a generalization like that isn't going to be universally true. You still need to look at overall cost, build quality, and components used to actually say it is garbage. If so inclined, (at least) 10-20% of the US population could build a proper gaming PC out of OEM parts and sell it as such with a markup for build time.

That said, the motivations listed are absolutely absurd. Dumping money on 2 1080Tis to drop ~30% of their performance on thunderbolt? Only used in bedroom, where you can't possibly fit a computer case, but you have a 70 inch TV? If your bedroom is big enough to properly accomodate a TV of that size, then there's no doubt you could fit a (18 inch, not four foot) desktop in there.

Noise complaint is ridiculous. Parts are silent anyway besides hard drive(if you even use one), and a bigger form factor allows more room for quiet and efficient cooling. A laptop isn't magically producing less heat for the same performance, it's just making due with higher temps and/or thermal throttling.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-02-04 16:57:03
Link | Citer | R

Bro, you out pedanted me and I love it. Obvi.

10/10
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 17:08:06
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
It's a bit ridiculous to say that anything with the word 'gaming' is a bad buy. Many things might be, but a generalization like that isn't going to be universally true. You still need to look at overall cost, build quality, and components used to actually say it is garbage. If so inclined, (at least) 10-20% of the US population could build a proper gaming PC out of OEM parts and sell it as such with a markup for build time.

That said, the motivations listed are absolutely absurd. Dumping money on 2 1080Tis to drop ~30% of their performance on thunderbolt? Only used in bedroom, where you can't possibly fit a computer case, but you have a 70 inch TV? If your bedroom is big enough to properly accomodate a TV of that size, then there's no doubt you could fit a (18 inch, not four foot) desktop in there.

Noise complaint is ridiculous. Parts are silent anyway besides hard drive(if you even use one), and a bigger form factor allows more room for quiet and efficient cooling. A laptop isn't magically producing less heat for the same performance, it's just making due with higher temps and/or thermal throttling.

Obviously there's reasons. Like I said, aesthetics and noise are important in the bedroom (my girl has a say..) Yes there room for a case, I used 4ft case as a comparison because that's how tall my PC case is in the other room. (3.65ft really)

I say gaming laptop because its easier than saying a cnc box the size of a large book with a leftover motherboard with just ports on it, no screen.
Using left over 1080 ti's from my other pc that switched to rtx 2080s
and "Parts" are not silent... Have you heard 2 gpu's running at load??? Too loud for the bedroom.. I have the tv up against a wall and thunderbolt cable running through the wall into my closet where the gpu's are.

But by definition, its technically a pc you can have in your lap and is easily portable.

entire setup cost me $250
But please continue telling me how financially HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE I am, Its entertaining.
By Kazaki 2019-02-04 17:41:29
Link | Citer | R

Im on a gaming laptop and ffxi ran like ***with out dgvoodoo, since dgvoodoo, nothing but smooth 60+fps on 3 accounts

Wtf I can't get one to run at 60fps and I have a monster rig. What are your voodoo settings?
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2019-02-04 17:48:58
Link | Citer | R

you all lost the game.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 17:53:03
Link | Citer | R

Kazaki said: »

Wtf I can't get one to run at 60fps and I have a monster rig. What are your voodoo settings?

same as this except msaa is app driven and filtering at x8 since runs smoother with triple box

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Shiva.Zerowone
Serveur: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-02-04 19:18:33
Link | Citer | R

Creecreelo said: »
Hey everyone!

You can’t go wrong with either selection. Especially if youre primarily buying a desktop to play ffxi. You’ll be able to play any game.... though that Cyberpower model is using a 3gb 1060 when you can get a 6gb 1060 for an extra 50(kind in mind that’s another 150 in a prebuilt).
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-02-04 21:23:30
Link | Citer | R

GPUs are only as loud as their cooling, which is entirely up to you. 1080Tis are easily resellable, so treating leftovers as free is pretty financially derpy.

Its Jets argument not mine though and it certainly isnt anyones business but yours. I am sure if my life were examined equally silly finances could be found.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 22:26:16
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
GPUs are only as loud as their cooling, which is entirely up to you. 1080Tis are easily resellable, so treating leftovers as free is pretty financially derpy.

Its Jets argument not mine though and it certainly isnt anyones business but yours. I am sure if my life were examined equally silly finances could be found.

I mean yea I could resell them but why? I dont need the cash like at all, and I build tech stuff all the time so I have a nice sized parts bin. trying to recoup $700-$1k doesn't bother me.
But that's me.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-02-04 22:33:46
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Zerowone said: »
Creecreelo said: »
Hey everyone!

You can’t go wrong with either selection. Especially if youre primarily buying a desktop to play ffxi. You’ll be able to play any game.... though that Cyberpower model is using a 3gb 1060 when you can get a 6gb 1060 for an extra 50(kind in mind that’s another 150 in a prebuilt).

On those Ibuypower desktops and Cyberpower alike. If you get one, open it up and make sure your getting what you paid for, Check the serial on the gpu especially. Several instances where people should of got for ex: a 1070 and got a 1060 instead.
[+]