Is FFXI Really That Hard Starting Out?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Is FFXI really that hard starting out?
Is FFXI really that hard starting out?
First Page 2
 Asura.Emmajean
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Sabine
By Asura.Emmajean 2018-05-24 14:17:22
Link | Citer | R

I am asking as someone who has played for years but started multiple characters.

Is FFXI seriously difficult to start now a days? Is the list of content so daunting people don’t know where to start? Is it more that they don’t want to go through the levels of gear and instead want items from T3 in Escha zones right away?

I am wondering if the game has gotten so fast paced that people don’t want to progress. I mean it used to take months to get 75. Now it’s “lemme pl you to 99 in an hour.”

I’m hoping new (and returning) players still find the game, and I hope people aren’t discouraged by the amount of content.

Story that leads to this is below. I hold know hard feelings against the person, and hope they can start to enjoy the game as I do.

Yesterday a DRG in my Omega party took it upon himself to cuss me out after I checked his gear for a D Omega HTB. He said his acc was 889. I asked him if he had food to enhance is acc, and he stated “I can’t afford food. Nobody will invite me so I can’t get better gear.”

After I asked him to consider getting food he again said he was too poor. I then said well if you can’t meet the basic reqs of the fight, I can’t take you. It’s not fair to the rest of the players.

He took the time to call me elitist, piece of S, etc etc
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-24 14:20:22
Link | Citer | R

This thread is gonna be entertaining.

If you enjoy playing a shitty job (by community standards) the game will be literally impossible for you to play.

If you can suck it up and play something useful, there has never been an easier time to start this game.

This does NOT mean start playing whm. NEVER tell someone to start playing WHM. They are the worst kind of players.
[+]
By Onimaru 2018-05-24 14:40:25
Link | Citer | R

It's most likely Ignorance. Had I known, when I came back in 2016, that The acheron shield thing existed that would've solved a lot of gear problems I had then.
[+]
By Foxfire 2018-05-24 14:40:26
Link | Citer | R

it's not difficult to "start", but a lot of the content is daunting and incredibly boring/tedious

I've met my fair share of people who say the only reason they can even stand to finish some of the story content (wotg, toau mostly tbh) is because they have some sort of uh "enhancement" to speed things along.

It doesn't help that recent returnees may ask for help and are greeted with "just go solo it".

There's a lot more facets to this issue that aren't necessarily "not wanting to gear up" - but on that subject, it's incredibly trivial to make a melee dd (for example) go through alluvion skirmish armor, just so they can gear up for escha ru'aun.

Just help them advance in some form and they'll be useful.

that said, I'm not advocating that you should've let him come on your omega run - they were woefully undergeared and wouldn't have helped the party, and they should've recognized that from the get-go.
 Asura.Emmajean
By Asura.Emmajean 2018-05-24 14:44:17
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
This thread is gonna be entertaining.

If you enjoy playing a shitty job (by community standards) the game will be literally impossible for you to play.

If you can suck it up and play something useful, there has never been an easier time to start this game.

This does NOT mean start playing whm. NEVER tell someone to start playing WHM. They are the worst kind of players.
I agree. Anyone starting I tell them, “Start as a Geo.”

Learn a Geo and you can do anything else you want.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-05-24 15:10:50
Link | Citer | R

If you refuse to play anything but a lame job (by community standards) the game will be difficult for you to play with others.

I wouldn't go as far as impossible

There have always been "those guys" though that want to play their own certain way... you know like with no sub job... or do all the missions in order below whatever the cap level was for that mission was... or they want to come drg or mnk to everydamnthing...

it's usually their own stubbornness that holds them back

Onimaru said: »
The acheron shield thing

yeah you can go level up bst real fast and grab sparks gear and a cricket and kill dragons for hours and make gil for "the job you want to play"

OP's “I can’t afford food" guy - the fricken curio moogle sells food dirt cheap. that kid just didn't know how to wiki or something.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Serveur: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-05-24 16:04:06
Link | Citer | R

The drg in the op will never get any better because he has a bad attitude and expects to be carried. If he was nice to people and accepted his current limitations, I'm sure friends would want to gear him up so they could play together.

But since he cusses out strangers he just met simply because they checked him, he probably will never make friends. No friends = no gear.
[+]
 Asura.Emmajean
By Asura.Emmajean 2018-05-24 16:14:28
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
The drg in the op will never get any better because he has a bad attitude and expects to be carried. If he was nice to people and accepted his current limitations, I'm sure friends would want to gear him up so they could play together.

But since he cusses out strangers he just met simply because they checked him, he probably will never make friends. No friends = no gear.

I even offered to help him out after our run... but he opted to not back down from the name calling.

Also funny to note, he did it all while I was streaming.
[+]
 Shiva.Kasaioni
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2018-05-24 16:26:06
Link | Citer | R

?
By zaxtiss 2018-05-24 16:30:23
Link | Citer | R

the only hard part imo in beginning is leveling to 99 solo after that its pretty smooth.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-24 16:41:37
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Kasaioni said: »
?

People that feel forced to play whm because they can't get into anything and got told to play whm.

They're terrible at it because they don't want to do it. They're the worst whms. Stop telling people to play whm.

I can tolerate a bubble-afk GEO, I can tolerate an rollonly COR, I can tolerate a BLU that only knows how to MG and CDC

But a whm that can't be bothered to blindna, has to be asked to haste and can't remember to RR, I would rather you quit than be that miserable.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2018-05-24 16:49:26
Link | Citer | R

I have a feeling that most people underestimate just how much ***there is to learn about this game

It's been receiving content for 16 years now and any player who enters the endgame is going to have to learn about it at some point

It's not "hard to play" but it sure as hell would impose a heavy cognitive load on somebody trying to learn the current state of the game
 Shiva.Kasaioni
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2018-05-24 16:52:53
Link | Citer | R

One of my friends who plays XIV has tried a few times to progress in XI. He currently has a level 50 RDM, but seeing what you have to do for the first limit break quest and also what you have to do to expand your inventory (lol reputation)--I'm pretty sure that turned him off from doing anything.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-24 17:01:05
Link | Citer | R

You trade 100 bohyada moss, and travel to 3 zones touching ???

Done and Done. If you can't spend 10 minutes doing that, he's better off on XIV instead.

You don't even need rep anymore for gobbie bags, they drastically reduced it.
[+]
 Asura.Slyshenx
user: Slyshen1
By Asura.Slyshenx 2018-05-24 17:04:16
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Kasaioni said: »
One of my friends who plays XIV has tried a few times to progress in XI. He currently has a level 50 RDM, but seeing what you have to do for the first limit break quest and also what you have to do to expand your inventory (lol reputation)--I'm pretty sure that turned him off from doing anything.

There isn't any fame requirements for gobbiebag quests... You can buy all the items straight up and trade them one after the other until you have them all.

Also, if someone can't run into a zone with oils/powders to beat a quest so they can attain a higher level cap, probably shouldn't be playing this game in the first place. Lazy people and FFXI don't mix. It's not like real life where you get rewarded for it.

Post deleted by User.
By whitemage 2018-05-24 17:14:28
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Emmajean said: »
I am asking as someone who has played for years but started multiple characters.

Is FFXI seriously difficult to start now a days? Is the list of content so daunting people don’t know where to start? Is it more that they don’t want to go through the levels of gear and instead want items from T3 in Escha zones right away?

I am wondering if the game has gotten so fast paced that people don’t want to progress. I mean it used to take months to get 75. Now it’s “lemme pl you to 99 in an hour.”

I’m hoping new (and returning) players still find the game, and I hope people aren’t discouraged by the amount of content.

Story that leads to this is below. I hold know hard feelings against the person, and hope they can start to enjoy the game as I do.

Yesterday a DRG in my Omega party took it upon himself to cuss me out after I checked his gear for a D Omega HTB. He said his acc was 889. I asked him if he had food to enhance is acc, and he stated “I can’t afford food. Nobody will invite me so I can’t get better gear.”

After I asked him to consider getting food he again said he was too poor. I then said well if you can’t meet the basic reqs of the fight, I can’t take you. It’s not fair to the rest of the players.

He took the time to call me elitist, piece of S, etc etc

Starting from scratch can be difficult. People should take some time to help new and returning players.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Avariella
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Avariella 2018-05-24 17:57:38
Link | Citer | R

I've been playing with 2 friends recently that have started a new account; one plays MMOs a lot and played ffxi up to level 20 with me in 2010, and the other friend barely plays MMOs.

Honestly, FFXI's had so much content added that I think they really would have struggled on their own; it involved a lot of babysitting for the first week.
FFXI's always been really unique with a lot of features such as the lack of handholding at the beginning of the game; even someone with MMO experience would get lost for a bit.

I think a lot of what turns people off this game is that it's just not as populated as it used to be. Back when it first came out (~+5 years after too) people were everywhere; your home country was busy enough so you could just ask someone what to do. Nowadays, there's barely anyone around, and even then everyone's in the endgame areas and adoulin.
My buddies have said that they'd really struggle getting into FFXI without having company; even at the beginning, learning about how to level (including WS/JA/magic), RoE, page levelling, quests, missions, home points... after that point it just gets too much to take in, yknow? But they're basically essential to learn at the beginning!
To be honest, i'm kinda worried about if they'll lose interest when we get to limit break quests... it's a lot of running around and following.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-05-24 18:02:15
Link | Citer | R

The limit breaks are totally pointless, and dated. But they're also incredibly easy.
 Carbuncle.Avariella
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Avariella 2018-05-24 18:12:01
Link | Citer | R

The limit breaks are totally pointless, and dated. But they're also incredibly easy.

I do agree they're pointless at this point, lol.
They're easy, sure! it's just a case of spending a day running around places you haven't got registered for teleporting, levelling 5 times, repeat x4, fight a dude, yadda yadda... it's boring as ***, y'know?
 Asura.Biglovin
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2018-05-24 18:20:30
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
that kid just didn't know how to wiki or something.
I did laugh a bit reading that.

But it's honest. Learn to *** wiki something. Don't know something? Take a deep breath before /yell and go to BG.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-05-24 19:19:58
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Biglovin said: »
Quote:
that kid just didn't know how to wiki or something.
I did laugh a bit reading that.

But it's honest. Learn to *** wiki something. Don't know something? Take a deep breath before /yell and go to BG.

***even I finally figured it out and I'm so stupid any properly organized society would had me put to sleep.

<~played on crashbox with a laptop on his lap with ffxiah and wiki pulled up.

but I have certainly met my fair share of people that think I should spend all day typing all the wiki info out in tells/party chat on my friggin chatpad >.<
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-05-24 19:34:57
Link | Citer | R

RR jewelry is generally a negative in group events. It takes 10 seconds to pop up, you can be raised in 2-3. Never mind that if you need arise, you have to wait for it to pop up AND cancel it before the mage can cast.. if they even bother to communicate that they can arise you and wait it out.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-05-24 19:37:12
Link | Citer | R

Also, do your limit breaks in pairs. If you get lv50 with 1 tnl, you can do LB1 then flag the LB1 RoE to ding 51 and immediately start LB2. Repeat for each set, and you'll have a bit less back and forth.
[+]
 Asura.Patriclis
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-06-01 07:51:31
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, It's just too bad that nobody has created a very simple and easy to follow guide that is frequently updated that new players can follow and be linked to.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2018-06-01 08:57:39
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
played on crashbox

You poor masochistic man.
 Ragnarok.Donwu
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: donwu
By Ragnarok.Donwu 2018-06-01 09:24:50
Link | Citer | R

I came back last august after leaving at 95 cap during the aby era, and by the end of the year, I had finished Rhapsodies, Mandau to 119 from stage 3 (non ag, ag by march), solo building armageddon to 90, opening RUN and soloing with trusts to 99, and leveling a LOT of other jobs to 99. I didn't farm plutons, I farmed gil and bought everything. I did all that on Leviathan where there's 9 actual players and 285 DB at any given moment. To say you "cant get invites, so you're poor and gearless" is plain *** lazy.
First Page 2