users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Gearing a new RNG in preparation for Fail-Not
Gearing a new RNG in preparation for Fail-Not
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2016-06-30 11:50:19
Link | Citer | R

So as a career mage with murgleis and laeveteinn, as my shell progresses thru it's second round of aeonics (I missed the first due to vacation;; ) I went the goofball route and opted for the bow. I never expect RNG to be more than a fun job for me that once I get deeper into job points I can bring to Zi'Tah, T1 and T2 Ru'Ann, and T1/T2 Reisen. For T3/T4/HELM I'm going to be on my BLM almost without question.

Nonetheless, if I want a DD spot at those times, I better be solid, I'm already going to be competing against shell mates with completed RNGs using 119-III Annis and Formhaults and HQ abj. gear.

The gear sets in the sticky all seem very dated, as do the published spellcast luas here and on bg. As with my mages,in adjusting one that "sort of" has what I'm looking for. But anyone have a lua they really are proud of that has builds for both bow and gun and they would be willing to share?

Also when gearing for Apex Arrow, suggestions on main hand weapon? Assuming oneireos knife not as good as if you are gearing for Jishnu's, but I honestly don't know.
By Verda 2016-06-30 12:19:23
Link | Citer | R

Perun and Kustawi and their +1 versions are the best physical main hand weapons for RNG. Make a 3 hit set for Fail-Not, and pop double shot and do Jishnu's -> Ranged attackx2 -> Jishnu's fun for self light chains, every other attack is a WS (60% of the time, while double shot is up anyway)! It's actually very good DPS if pDIF is capped. With a 3 hit set you can also do self chains without double shot up. Without SAM roll you need /sam sub to achieve it though as well as sacrifice a lot of ranged acc for stp gear. I love my fail-not, good luck. Oneiros is still great for jishnu's but lose out a lot of ranged acc/attack you could have. Aeonics have huge base damage but not much acc compared to relics. They can win in pure dps as long as Acc is taken care of though.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2016-06-30 14:49:35
Link | Citer | R

Does the self light from Jishnu's->Jishnu's outperform self radiance of Apex->Apex once skillchain damage (not burst, but the actual skillchain) is factored? I know Apex Arrow is an inferior weaponskill, just wondering if the traits of the "ultimate skillchain" help it catch up.
By Verda 2016-07-01 20:59:35
Link | Citer | R

You'd have to get 3k TP for am3 to make Apex -> Apex work so it wins by that alone, but the other factors are Apex is single hit so always has that 5% chance to miss, and it just isn't as good of a by the numbers WS. If you wanted to self radiance from 1k tp there's ways but all the ones I can find use a melee ws somewhere or one in melee range like blast arrow somewhere in it. Ex:
Evisceration -> Apex -> Jishnu's -> Jishnu's should make radiance.

You can 3 step with am2 if you did:
Apex 2k tp -> Jishnu's -> Jishnu's too, keep in mind though even though it's not much, multihit ws do return more tp.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2016-07-01 21:35:07
Link | Citer | R

Since Apex => Apex = Radiance requires that first Apex Arrow to be 3k TP and Jishnu's will be making "double" Light at just 1k TPs... For more than Apex's 3k most like...
Obviously the best option is to get AM (for the SC bonus) by firing off an Apex (doesn't have to be 3k) and then follow it up with a Jishnu's... For "double" Light or Radiance based on AM level.

SC damage is based off the closing WS, so you should always want to make Radiance with Jishnu's.

As to why Apex => Jishnu's = "double" Light and not Light is because Apex has T3 light properties with Fail-Not.
So you can have your AM SCB and double Light spam all you want. (Anything less than 3k AM3 requires more than a two step SC.)
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2016-07-02 15:10:53
Link | Citer | R

Thank you both. I've followed you both on other sub forums here, you're just the kind of players I was hoping to tap!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-07-02 16:16:01
Link | Citer | R

One addendum to the above: your first Apex Arrow (the one used to activate aftermath) will not have the T3 property granted by the aftermath. So for that first attempt, you could Apex<->Jishnu's (order doesn't matter) then follow up with either weaponskill a second time (again doesn't matter which, choose whichever will do more damage) for a double light skillchain.

Perversely, Fail-Not can only do that once unless you allow aftermath to wear or activate a sufficiently high level to permit a radiance skillchain. After that, you're limited to two-step solo skillchains unless you sub in Empyreal Arrow or Arching Arrow. Gandiva can still three-step (Apex<->Jishnu's, close with Jishnu's), and Yoichi can solo five-step (Apex>Namas>Jishnu's>Apex>Jishnu's).
[+]