Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » News » New Moderator position
New Moderator position
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-18 16:13:21
Link | Citer | R

Hi!

So, we're hiring another moderator. This is usually the part where there's a big old list of questions for applicants to answer, but I'm not really a fan of that sort of interviewing process. If you'd like to apply, shoot me a PM with why we should choose you. Convince us!

Thanks!
--Rooks
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-18 18:19:13
Link | Citer | R

As a reminder, when you PM me, you need to give me a compelling argument! I'm not the only one making the decision; the applications will be decided on by the staff, so write to the group.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-18 20:48:20
Link | Citer | R

Some frequently asked questions:

What does a moderator do, exactly?

Keep the peace, mostly. That means following up on reports, resolving disputes, and handling rule infractions. Sometimes that means just hopping into a thread and telling people to cool it, and sometimes it means locking the thread/issuing warnings/suspending Ramyrez.

It's also important to maintain something of a presence in threads so that you aren't just the guy/gal who shows up to ruin Christmas, but are instead the guy/gal who shows up to ruin every single day.

Is it true you can't have friends as a moderator?

Nah. What it does mean is that you can't use your powers to help them inappropriately, or show them favoritism if they're breaking rules. Some friendships don't survive that, and that's a bummer, but it's part of the job.

Is this job paid, or volunteer?

What, like actual money? I wish. No, you will be paid in the loathing of your fellow forum posters, as you inform them that no, they can not post that image/call that other person that/whatever. I mean, from that angle, it's one of the highest paying jobs available, so c'mon down.

Do I need to already be an active forum poster?

Not really. It helps if you're not brand new, but I was a fairly limited poster outside of the Windower section before my promotion and that's worked out just fi- ok not the best example, but you'll be fine, I'm sure. It's important to note that if you weren't a big poster before, you're likely to become one now, so keep that in mind.

Is modship like a pirate ship?

I mean, there's lots of scurvy involved, but that's more or less where the similarities end.

I don't have any idea what you're even looking for. What ARE you looking for?

Basically we want someone who can be a reasonable person. Not every infraction requires the express train to Siberia, and sometimes people have used up their second chances (and can get popped for relatively minor infractions). It's an art, not a science, so what we really want is someone who'll use their head, occasionally their heart, and has the best interests of the site in mind.

Does prior experience matter?

It doesn't hurt, but I don't know how much it helps, either. Forums all have fairly unique dynamics, so what works elsewhere won't necessarily work here. It's fine to have it, but if you don't, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Can I send you a PM that's not a real application, but just a joke about how I want to ban all my enemies?

By far the most common response. Whoever we hire as a moderator, their initiation is to ban all of you jokers. "Inbox New(34)" my ***.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-19 06:26:47
Link | Citer | R

Closing this later today.

Last chance to apply!
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-08-20 06:42:52
Link | Citer | R

Okay, applications closed.

We got a bunch of great applications, so now the hard part starts. Thanks again to everyone who applied, my only real regret now is that we don't have enough spots for all the qualified people.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [464 days between previous and next post]
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-11-26 09:28:27
Link | Citer | R

We're now taking applications again! Come and apply for the worst unpaid job you'll ever have!
[+]
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-11-27 09:19:04
Link | Citer | R

Bumping, send your applications to Rooks.
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-11-28 08:26:05
Link | Citer | R

The window to send in applications closes first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks to everyone who's already submitted.