Starting FFXIV

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Starting FFXIV
Starting FFXIV
By mortontony1 2015-03-20 15:52:50
Link | Citer | R

So I'm thinking about starting FFXIV sometime soon and I'm sure there have been 50x threads started like this so bear with me! How's PS3 vs PC on it? Good populated server? Any tips or tricks that become 'oh no duh?!' or 'why didn't I do this earlier?' later on in the game?
VIP
By Iryoku 2015-03-20 16:43:36
Link | Citer | R

I haven't played on PS3, so I can't give you any first hand experience, but I know that load times are quite a bit worse on PS3.

All of the servers are well populated. If you check this list, the ones that are frequently marked with × (the list updates every 4 hours) are more full, but are more difficult to get onto. However, having said that, server population is less relevant in 14 than 11 because the duty finder (what you use to enter dungeons and other instances) operates across all servers within a single data center. Meaning if you are on Sargataqnas you can get grouped with anyone else in the Aether data center who's queued for the same dungeon.

As for tips and tricks. The game does a pretty good job of introducing you to everything as you progress, but if I had to pick something, I would probably say don't let your leve allowances go to waste. You get 3 every 12 hours up to a maximum of 100; after that they just vanish into the aether, which is EXP, gil and Grand Company seals down the drain. Also, don't forget about your Hunting Logs, they're a fantastic source of EXP early on, and they help alleviate some of the grind on your second class and beyond after you've exhausted all of the EXP you can get from quests.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer them.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2015-03-20 16:52:00
Link | Citer | R

PC version is best

I will say i am a controller user, but mine broke for a while and i was forced to play mouse/kb on 14. wasn't bad at all. (can't play 11 with kb/mouse, would rather not play)
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-20 16:57:04
Link | Citer | R

Excalibur is populated, perhaps a tad TOO populated. I started on PS3 and moved to PS4, PS3 can be kinda clunky and experiences latency at times, more so than my PS4. If you have a PC that will run it, I highly suggest PC as PC will always be "in" and will most likely never be phased out as new consoles come out.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-20 16:58:29
Link | Citer | R

There's a PS4 out and it's on the market?

Wow.
By mortontony1 2015-03-20 17:06:25
Link | Citer | R

Mkay so I suppose I'll go PC. I'll just get an extra long HDMI cable, maybe upgrade my TV too. I read an older (I think) thread about a FFXIAH linkshell? What's the happy haps with that?
By Voren 2015-03-20 17:06:30
Link | Citer | R

They're going to discontinue support for PS3 within the next year. I'll need to look up the post again, forgot the time frame.

I play on PS3 and will continue until they drop support, by then I hope to have a PS4.

Friend of mine plays on PS4 and loves it. My PS3 had lag issues until we upgraded out internet speed. The hot buttons aren't as nice as FFXI's macro system. You can still macro, but depending upon job there's really no need to. Tabbing between targets is simple.

You won't get any of the 3rd party support, but really 14 is so easy you don't need it. The only difference is which one you prefer.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-20 17:09:10
Link | Citer | R

Voren said: »
They're going to discontinue support for PS3 within the next year. I'll need to look up the post again, forgot the time frame.

I play on PS3 and will continue until they drop support, by then I hope to have a PS4.

Friend of mine plays on PS4 and loves it. My PS3 had lag issues until we upgraded out internet speed. The hot buttons aren't as nice as FFXI's macro system. You can still macro, but depending upon job there's really no need to. Tabbing between targets is simple.

You won't get any of the 3rd party support, but really 14 is so easy you don't need it. The only difference is which one you prefer.
There has been talk of discontinuing the PS3, but it hasn't been announced when.

EDIT: There is a PS3 version of Heavensward.
[+]
By Zenaku14 2015-03-21 00:25:24
Link | Citer | R

Anna Ruthven said: »
Voren said: »

There has been talk of discontinuing the PS3, but it hasn't been announced when.

EDIT: There is a PS3 version of Heavensward.

FFXIV ps3 version wont make it to patch 4.0 which is pretty much 1-2 years from heavensward release. So it better off getting the PC or PS4 version. Seeing how no one really want to invite ps3 users to raid or party due to there slow loading time. It's just not a good system to play on if you want to be a serious ffxiv player. Even doing casual stuff it painful on the ps3 version due to the loading time.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2015-03-21 02:08:53
Link | Citer | R

PSN with ps3 is nuts. That's all I gotta say.
 Siren.Novadragon
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Novadragon 2015-03-21 05:44:20
Link | Citer | R

Link to server populations.

PS3 vs PS4 on FFXIV.

The major difference is stable frame rate. The mobs on PS3 are very choppy and move like a old Sega Genesis game.

While PC is better, PS4 can keep up with it on loading speeds, etc. IF you're going to stick with PS3, SSD is strictly advised or you won't see anything for hunts and fates.

A lot of the textures on PS3 are pretty blurred out, and still it drops frame rate in Cities.
 Siren.Akson
Serveur: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-21 12:27:15
Link | Citer | R

PS4 is extremely amazing looking graphics and framerate(other players and mobs) compared to PS3 very choppy framerate(other players and mobs). Even if PS3 had zero loading issues I still wouldn't play on PS3 cuz of PS4 superiority ofc and PC. Beyond all the glitz and glamour unfortunately lies the gameplay which is anything but FFXI but that story has been told many times before so heh w/e. FFXIV is the best if FFXI never existed.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-21 13:33:44
Link | Citer | R

If you play a healer, just remember; it isn't your fault, the BRD is always out of healing range.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-03-21 17:02:43
Link | Citer | R

If you play a healer, just remember; it isn't your fault, the BRD is always out of healing range.

Or in 24 man raids when Team B Wipes inside the Belly in WOD.... that's usually the healers Fault (or a tank who doesn't know how to like get mini before being eaten.)
 Leviathan.Nightshade
By Leviathan.Nightshade 2015-03-25 17:12:22
Link | Citer | R

I just started playing about a month ago when the PS3 demo came out and enjoying it for the most part. The worst part is the constant RMT spam... like even in the load screen when you first boot up you hear the /tell buzzer going off. The only other complaint I have is the fetch quests in the middle of the main quest line. The community seems friendly for the most part and duty finder is sweet! Enjoy!
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-03-25 17:13:39
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Nightshade said: »
I just started playing about a month ago when the PS3 demo came out and enjoying it for the most part. The worst part is the constant RMT spam... like even in the load screen when you first boot up you hear the /tell buzzer going off. The only other complaint I have is the fetch quests in the middle of the main quest line. The community seems friendly for the most part and duty finder is sweet! Enjoy!
I turned my buzzer off.
 Leviathan.Nightshade
By Leviathan.Nightshade 2015-03-25 17:28:06
Link | Citer | R

It's just sad that SE doesn't seem to do much about it. Last couple days there's been open spam shouts in Limsa on a fairly regular basis. Only other complaint is that fishing takes a back seat to other crafts and gathering. Part of that could be how late I started playing too.
By Voren 2015-04-18 20:25:12
Link | Citer | R

I'm tired of the constant friend requests from level 1 "players" that are named qhsjs asaknfa or some other random letter concoction.

I've turned off my tells due constant rmt spam. It's gotten old fast and not slowing down. I turned on tells for all of a minute and received 15 tells from rmt.

Fishing is boring, but unless you want to buy stuff for alc, cul, gsm, bsm, arm, and ltw you'll need to raise fsh as well.
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-04-18 20:29:14
Link | Citer | R

Excalibur is populated, perhaps a tad TOO populated.
I think we are restricted from character creation right now aren't we?
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-18 20:44:13
Link | Citer | R

Grumpy Cat said: »
Excalibur is populated, perhaps a tad TOO populated.
I think we are restricted from character creation right now aren't we?
I dunno.
By Voren 2015-04-18 21:26:26
Link | Citer | R

There was a pretty good sized server dump from Hyperion to Famfrit. I moved a few moths ago and am seeing several people I saw on Hyperion.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-18 21:28:02
Link | Citer | R

Oh, RMT /tells and friend requests can be blocked by /busy. Unfortunately, this blocks ALL /tells and friend requests as well as party invites, I believe.
By Voren 2015-04-18 21:34:44
Link | Citer | R

Yeah it does block everything, I just turned off tells, anyone wants to msg me they can warp to where I am and put it in /say. Anyone else is in my FC or LS.

I'm not sure if SE can do anything about rmt, we may just have to wait them out.

Was it this bad when FFXI first launched?
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-04-18 21:55:03
Link | Citer | R

No, it was worse.

SE doesn't do anything atm because RMT always get around whatever they do and the RMT could become a bigger issue than they currently are if pushed.
By protectorchrono 2015-04-19 00:21:18
Link | Citer | R

Despite what's been said about FFXIV, I'd still play it. To me, it's another new adventure and a new MMO to play. (I just have to save up for another couple months or so to get a PC that can handle the game's stupid graphics requirements, ugh.) Despite them coming out with ARR with less requirements it's still a trial to get a great pc that can handle it as I'm not wasting money on PS4 (PC4ever). :P