Place Your Midterm Election Bets.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Place Your Midterm Election Bets.
Place Your Midterm Election Bets.
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 30 31 32
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 14:01:27
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The poor live in the country with the best healthcare around (not for much longer tho), they do have access to it. They just need to pay for it.

We may have had the best healthcare available at one time, but we objectively do not right now. We have decent healthcare at top shelf prices.

Quote:
The fact that I cannot afford to buy a Ferrari as a daily driver doesn't mean that I don't have access to it. If I really wanted to drive one I could go out and rent it for a day for much less than the cost of buying one. Everyone has access to do this, everyone.

Except most people don't really care about having a Ferrari, they want food and a place to live. Extravagance is a luxury, existence isn't.

Quote:
Services have value to them. To argue that someone inherently deserves to have a service simply because they are alive, is to suggest that someone else should be responsible for paying for it. Things just don't work like that. I do not owe you a pizza simply because you are hungry. Do I owe you a house because you're alive too?

While I agree that services have value, especially when they are offered privately, certain things are never argued against. Roads and airwaves, public works like water and sewer, basic laws, protection of personal property (legal documentation and enforcement, not guns or guard dogs), etc. Those things are never argued against. So the primary issue I have with the way entitlements are spoken about on both sides is that they aren't really opposing views. Similar to the thought exercises that start with acquisition.

You ask a cute girl on the street if she'd take money for sex. She says no. You say, what if it was a million dollars. She says for a million, sure.

What you've established is that she is willing to take money for sex, the issue is the price.

Even the most conservative people out there would have to think hard about giving up fire departments and municipal water, and I can't believe anyone would give up property protection. So, the sticking point isn't whether we all should pay for things, it's about what things and who should get them. Approach the issue with what you have in common, not what you disagree on, and the results will always be better.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 14:10:37
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
So clearly he is justified in doing what ever he wants cause 2/3rds didn't care enough to come out and stop him?

More like he's acknowledging that 2/3 of the country feel the process is futile and their voice isn't heard. So why bother taking time out of their day to participate in a partisan pissing match that basically results in the same gridlock, broken promises, and discontent?

And how do you know that the 2/3rds that didn't vote didn't do so because of that? Did you ask them, or are you really so arrogant to assume they couldn't possibly have any other reason for not voting.

Maybe they were so disgusted with you they couldn't bring themselves to support you.

What other conclusion could be reached? Why would 2/3 of the people choose not to take 15 minutes out of their day to make their voice heard? Care to offer some kind of explanation besides using it as an excuse to throw more BS at Obama or make juvenile torts at me?

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-06 14:17:54
Link | Citer | R

Basic services I think we can all agree on that the government(s) should fund.

Fire Department, Police, Hospitals, Roads, Utilities, etc. isn't the question or the issue.

It's when the government panders to a specific group of people for votes, that is the issue.

When you have political ads that state that <insert candidate> will vote against your welfare check and will cut your retirement benefits if elected, especially when there is either no basis for such accusations, and then goes around and allows fraud and waste to occur with such services, and doesn't prosecute, that's the real issue at hand.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 14:21:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Basic services I think we can all agree on that the government(s) should fund.

Fire Department, Police, Hospitals, Roads, Utilities, etc. isn't the question or the issue.

It's when the government panders to a specific group of people for votes, that is the issue.

When you have political ads that state that <insert candidate> will vote against your welfare check and will cut your retirement benefits if elected, especially when there is either no basis for such accusations, and then goes around and allows fraud and waste to occur with such services, and doesn't prosecute, that's the real issue at hand.

I don't think I've ever seen a political ad that said a candidate was going to take away your welfare check, lol. I have seen them saying candidates wanted to defund things, but never anything like that.

I also don't think I've ever seen a documented case that people who were confirmed to have defrauded assistance programs weren't held responsible intentionally. The system sucks, in a lot of ways, but you accuse the system and the people of intentional misuse that you have provided no evidence of.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-06 14:24:30
Link | Citer | R

I'd rather have a well than city water and sewer, I'm pretty sure I can manage my own supply better than the city can manage it for me (and thousands of other residents). I have the choice on that, choice is good.

Fire and police get into that zone of hey I can't quite manage this for myself so the state needs to provide this to me. However one doesn't need to look far to see instances of public abuse by the state in police and fire departments. Regardless, you can't really compare the local services like police and fire with a nationalized health care. Everyone who lives in the town pays for local services through their property taxes and in some instances (this is wrong) through state subsidies via their tax sates. The universe is much much more local than something on a national scale.

I can just as easily replace "Ferrari" with "getting from point A to B". There are many ways to do this, I can walk, run, bike, take mass transit, take public transit, or drive myself there in my own car. If I cannot afford to drive myself there I take public transit. I still get there, it just might not be as extravagant as other options. No one owes me the extravagance in transportation just as no one owes me the extravagance in healthcare. That doesn't mean the extravagance is not available to me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-06 14:25:52
Link | Citer | R

So clearly he is justified in doing what ever he wants cause 2/3rds didn't care enough to come out and stop him?

More like he's acknowledging that 2/3 of the country feel the process is futile and their voice isn't heard. So why bother taking time out of their day to participate in a partisan pissing match that basically results in the same gridlock, broken promises, and discontent?

And how do you know that the 2/3rds that didn't vote didn't do so because of that? Did you ask them, or are you really so arrogant to assume they couldn't possibly have any other reason for not voting.

Maybe they were so disgusted with you they couldn't bring themselves to support you.

What other conclusion could be reached? Why would 2/3 of the people choose not to take 15 minutes out of their day to make their voice heard? Care to offer some kind of explanation besides using it as an excuse to throw more BS at Obama or make juvenile torts at me?
I already gave you a conclusion (see bolded above).

Why bother holding a vote at all? The people in power know what's up right?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 14:31:09
Link | Citer | R

Why bother holding a vote at all? The people in power know what's up right?

That's not really the same thing. People could have voted for many things that weren't strictly partisan. Lots of states had referendums and initiatives. I could hate both candidates but still want to decriminalize marijuana. Why would I NOT vote in that case?

I'd rather have a well than city water and sewer, I'm pretty sure I can manage my own supply better than the city can manage it for me (and thousands of other residents). I have the choice on that, choice is good.

Fire and police get into that zone of hey I can't quite manage this for myself so the state needs to provide this to me. However one doesn't need to look far to see instances of public abuse by the state in police and fire departments. Regardless, you can't really compare the local services like police and fire with a nationalized health care. Everyone who lives in the town pays for local services through their property taxes and in some instances (this is wrong) through state subsidies via their tax sates. The universe is much much more local than something on a national scale.

I can just as easily replace "Ferrari" with "getting from point A to B". There are many ways to do this, I can walk, run, bike, take mass transit, take public transit, or drive myself there in my own car. If I cannot afford to drive myself there I take public transit. I still get there, it just might not be as extravagant as other options. No one owes me the extravagance in transportation just as no one owes me the extravagance in healthcare. That doesn't mean the extravagance is not available to me.

I think you missed the point... ACA also isn't national healthcare, it establishes standards of care and requires you buy insurance and that they provide the service you are buying.

Also, not really on point, but having a well isn't absolving you of taking from the whole. Where do you think the water in your well comes from? It's part of a shared water table. How would you feel if your neighbor was allowed to leech chemicals into the ground water and pollute your well? There needs to be some control over potable water, it's not exactly an unlimited resource.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-11-06 14:44:12
Link | Citer | R

There needs to be some control over potable water.

and therein lies the rub...

You tell me the water on my property isn't really mine and I'm not smart enough to manage it myself...

so I have to pay the government to hire someone that knows absolutely nothing about water to manage it for me and of course they need a modern office and a car to drive around in and heck let's make a whole department filled with your family members and people that donated to the mayor's campaign....

/sigh

the whole problem with liberalism is this belief that a whole room full of idiots is somehow smarter and better than one singular idiot.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 14:48:38
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

You tell me the water on my property isn't really mine and I'm not smart enough to manage it myself...

so I have to pay the government to hire someone that knows absolutely nothing about water to manage it for me and of course they need a modern office and a car to drive around in and heck let's make a whole department filled with your family members and people that donated to the mayor's campaign....

/sigh

the whole problem with liberalism is this belief that a whole room full of idiots is somehow smarter and better than one singular idiot.

Even in jest, this is very much true. It's just necessary to remove direct control over things that necessarily impact others. It's not that they say your water isn't yours, it's that they are protecting you from everyone else as well. I'm sure people's opinion of these kinds of issues would be affected if they had ever been the one on the losing end of unregulated perils.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-06 15:01:50
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

So where is the basis for your accusation?
Here's one

And another

And another

And yes, these are all supporting Republican viewpoints. Just because I'm a Republican doesn't mean that I support everything they do.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-11-06 15:08:07
Link | Citer | R

/sigh

Even in jest, this is very much true. It's just necessary to remove direct control over things that necessarily impact others. It's not that they say your water isn't yours, it's that they are protecting you from everyone else as well. I'm sure people's opinion of these kinds of issues would be affected if they had ever been the one on the losing end of unregulated perils.
But it's never that simple, it's not about protecting idiots from you or you from idiots, it's making decisions for you that you are perfectly capable of making yourself. Actually its about the arrogance that a bunch of idiots know whats better for you than you know for yourself.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-06 15:10:34
Link | Citer | R

/sigh

But it's never that simple, it's not about protecting idiots from you or you from idiots, it's making decisions for you that you are perfectly capable of making yourself. Actually its about the arrogance that a bunch of idiots know whats better for you than you know for yourself.
But no control issues, can't have that, can we?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 15:12:04
Link | Citer | R

/sigh

Eh, if you want to phrase it that way for effect, have at it, but more often than not, they are protecting you from idiots. You may be capable of making those decisions, but you would also begrudge them for allowing some other person from making decisions that hurt you. Certain things have the power to do more harm than good in the hands of individuals. We, as a collective, have to decide what things we will and won't put in the hands of individuals. That's the primary reason for having a republic, not a democracy.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-06 15:18:34
Link | Citer | R

Here's one

And another

And another

And yes, these are all supporting Republican viewpoints. Just because I'm a Republican doesn't mean that I support everything they do.

So where does this prove they allow fraud and don't prosecute? has nothing to do with what I asked.
Here ya go.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 15:40:46
Link | Citer | R

Here's one

And another

And another

So where does this prove they allow fraud and don't prosecute? has nothing to do with what I asked.
Here ya go.

This Coburn's Senate page on the issue...

Quote:
While we don't have any evidence that this is more than an isolated case, one example of inappropriate actions of this nature is one too many.

One connected judge was implicated in a federal lawsuit, but none of the accused have been criminally charged. The evidence against them appears to be circumstantial.

The whole thing seems fishy, that's for sure. Still, a single example where nobody has been charged with a crime and evidence is minute is far from the rampant abuse you claimed.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-06 15:44:51
Link | Citer | R

Here's one

And another

And another

Here ya go.

So are they allowing it? I don't think so, the attorney have been accused of fraud. Nice try.
Sure, after the story went out in public.

Didn't you ask why nothing was being done prior to the investigation? Why this was allowed to happen? Why nothing was done to prevent it?

One connected judge was implicated in a federal lawsuit, but none of the accused have been criminally charged. The evidence against them appears to be circumstantial.

The whole thing seems fishy, that's for sure. Still, a single example where nobody has been charged with a crime and evidence is minute is far from the rampant abuse you claimed.
The lack of action speaks volumes more than any one prosecution can do in cases like this.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 15:47:37
Link | Citer | R

The lack of action speaks volumes more than any one prosecution can do in cases like this.

It definitely does, but it doesn't say what you think it says. Inaction means they don't have enough evidence to prosecute them. That doesn't mean the evidence doesn't exist or that they're protecting them, it means what it means. You're dipping into tinfoil territory.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-06 16:00:06
Link | Citer | R

It definitely does, but it doesn't say what you think it says. Inaction means they don't have enough evidence to prosecute them. That doesn't mean the evidence doesn't exist or that they're protecting them, it means what it means. You're dipping into tinfoil territory.
You are missing the point.

Somebody had to have either lied on their application to receive fraudulent funds, lied on the processing, or falsified records to the doctor/administration. Somebody is responsible, and the fact that it occurs more and more per year, either shows a lack of prosecution, or lack of changing of controls, both of which is the fault of the administration.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 16:02:33
Link | Citer | R

You are missing the point.

Somebody had to have either lied on their application to receive fraudulent funds, lied on the processing, or falsified records to the doctor/administration. Somebody is responsible, and the fact that it occurs more and more per year, either shows a lack of prosecution, or lack of changing of controls, both of which is the fault of the administration.

Did you read any of the articles on the subject? They investigated and found a statistically questionable approval rate. None of the recipients were found to have received funds they weren't entitled to, the issue is how medical proof of disability was acquired and how little scrutiny they were given.

You're assuming that because a lot of people are receiving benefits that they must not be entitled to them. No evidence of that was found.

The article even offered the possibility that the shift in the age of recipients corisponded with more baby boomers reaching specific eligibility ages.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-06 16:04:36
Link | Citer | R

Didn't you ask why nothing was being done prior to the investigation? Why this was allowed to happen? Why nothing was done to prevent it?

Innocent until proven guilty?

Let's take another stance on the issue, corporations pay people to avoid taxes, Obama is fighting against corporation tax evasion, it's a whole lot more money than the case you've shown there, yet you would support a party wanting to give them bigger tax cuts?
Name a corporation who evaded taxes illegally (which is the only definition associated with it).

Please, enlighten us what laws were broken and by who. I'm going to guess your first answer is Apple, so I'll save you the trouble in that if you wish.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 16:07:02
Link | Citer | R

Let's take another stance on the issue, corporations pay people to avoid taxes, Obama is fighting against corporation tax evasion, it's a whole lot more money than the case you've shown there, yet you would support a party wanting to give them bigger tax cuts?
Name a corporation who evaded taxes illegally (which is the only definition associated with it).

Please, enlighten us what laws were broken and by who. I'm going to guess your first answer is Apple, so I'll save you the trouble in that if you wish.

Liberals and a lot of conservatives aren't upset that companies are breaking the law, they're upset that those tactics are legal.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-06 16:23:23
Link | Citer | R

Liberals and a lot of conservatives aren't upset that companies are breaking the law, they're upset that those tactics are legal.
By the time laws catch up, they're already on to a new scheme.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 16:26:30
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

By the time laws catch up, they're already on to a new scheme.

Tax attornees wouldn't exist if there wasn't a demand, obviously. But, a certain amount of these tactics have been available for a very long time and laws only get addressed when the public gets mad about them. Politicians owe a good amount of their political capital to the good graces of large businesses thanks to PACs.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-06 16:35:58
Link | Citer | R

Separation of business and state?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-06 16:37:16
Link | Citer | R

One of the many reasons I support public campaign finance, term limits, and independent review.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 30 31 32