I Know It's A Job

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » I know it's a job
I know it's a job
By Leysritt 2014-03-18 12:05:09
Link | Citer | R

So I work in an open computer lab, every day it's the same thing, get on the computer, wait for people, take money for printing out pages and powerpoint slides, help with w/e tech stuff they need. But then there's the group of people who don't think they have to go by the rules right in front of their face on a white board "Leave food and drinks on this table" So I go over and ask them, they just laugh at me and don't do it. Not only that, but people don't listen when I ask them to literally not act like they're at a club and talk loudly (Especially since this week we're having mid terms) but NOOOOOOOOOO they have to ignore me and keep talking.

Should I start throwing people out if they don't listen? I mean the rules for my job said that I cannot argue with a 'customer' but idk what to do anymore. (No one is in the lab atm)
 Bismarck.Misao
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-03-18 12:07:12
Link | Citer | R

consult with a manager or a higher up?
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2014-03-18 12:08:37
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Misao said: »

This.
If people are beeing ***, you should be allowed to ask them to leave.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hsieh
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2014-03-18 12:09:38
Link | Citer | R

If there are specific rules that say no eating in the lab, no disturbing others, and such, then you can throw them out on those grounds since you already warned them.

A successful business does not have customers bother other customers. Don't let people bully you around because they look at you as inferior to them.
 Cerberus.Cruxus
user: Cruxus
By Cerberus.Cruxus 2014-03-18 12:10:42
Link | Citer | R

Pretty much this, unless you are in an actual management roll with the ability to make determination to "pull the trigger" on such a decision, that would be your best bet. For about a year's period I worked as a manager at fast food location and had to deal with similar situations, but the difference was I was a manager and had the authority to make those type of decisions.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Avalon
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-03-18 12:17:45
Link | Citer | R

Leysritt said: »
So I work in an open computer lab, every day it's the same thing, get on the computer, wait for people, take money for printing out pages and powerpoint slides, help with w/e tech stuff they need. But then there's the group of people who don't think they have to go by the rules right in front of their face on a white board "Leave food and drinks on this table" So I go over and ask them, they just laugh at me and don't do it. Not only that, but people don't listen when I ask them to literally not act like they're at a club and talk loudly (Especially since this week we're having mid terms) but NOOOOOOOOOO they have to ignore me and keep talking.

Should I start throwing people out if they don't listen? I mean the rules for my job said that I cannot argue with a 'customer' but idk what to do anymore. (No one is in the lab atm)

As someone who has worked in the customer service industry for years, I can say that yes, in todays market of near-infinite choices, it's very important to have high levels of standards in taking care of your customers (guests, etc). That being said, the customer is not always right. If you have someone disrupting the "flow" of your business, causing distractions, or impairing your ability to operate your business, then you have the right to professionally and politely ask them to leave. This is assuming you asked them to stop doing whatever it was they were doing, which subsequently resulted in you being ignored.

If you're not the manager or owner, then you need to refer to them to handle the situation. If they're not present, then you are in charge of the store at that time and have (or should have) the authority to enforce the rules of your business.

Yes, a customer who has a bad experience somewhere will go tell 10 people not to go get their printing needs taken care of at your shop; however, if you allow a knucklehead to be obnoxious and disruptive in your store, then your regular paying customers might take their business somewhere else too.

So in short: You as a customer are valuable to me and my business. I want to meet your computer and printing needs. But if you come here at act like my store is a real-life Halo match and you don't stop? Then you're business isn't welcome here.
 Ragnarok.Allslove
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Allslove
By Ragnarok.Allslove 2014-03-18 12:18:30
Link | Citer | R

0. Consult a manager, unless you are the manager or have similar privileges.

1. Provide them with the proper verbal warnings upon first time violation.

2. Walk up to them with a trash can, take the food right off their workstation or hands, possibly mouth, and throw it in said trash can. Upon their protest, point at the sign and say they were warned.

3. If possible, disable their computer remotely. Else-if, walk up to their workstation and pull the power cable to disrupt whatever they were doing.

4. Kick their *** out.

It's possible if you're a fellow student working there, they probably don't even recognize your authority. "Hey man, just be cool, we were only playing around."
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-03-18 12:26:05
Link | Citer | R

I mean the rules for my job said that I cannot argue with a 'customer'
this is the main issue, hence talking it over with a manager/supervisor/higher up is recommended, go over what a customer can/can't do and what can you do to enforce such misconduct, without going over that line.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-03-18 12:27:57
Link | Citer | R

say nothing....

at the mid-way point on the back of the triceps muscle is nerve point connection, grab that firmly to incapacitate their arm, their other arm will come across to hold their disabled arm, then slip in the rear naked choke and apply pressure until they are unconscious and then quietly drag them out of the lab.

then return and move their food/drinks to the designated table and sit back down as if nothing has happened.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-03-18 12:28:13
Link | Citer | R

This, ask about the possibility of calling campus security.
 Asura.Railbender
Serveur: Asura
user: Toknherb
By Asura.Railbender 2014-03-18 12:31:35
Link | Citer | R

Not only that, but people don't listen when I ask them to literally not act like they're at a club and talk loudly (Especially since this week we're having mid terms) but NOOOOOOOOOO they have to ignore me and keep talking.

I really hope this is honestly not how you professionally and properly are asking your customers to quiet down a bit.
By Leysritt 2014-03-18 12:33:53
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Railbender said: »
Not only that, but people don't listen when I ask them to literally not act like they're at a club and talk loudly (Especially since this week we're having mid terms) but NOOOOOOOOOO they have to ignore me and keep talking.

I really hope this is honestly not how you professionally and properly are asking your customers to quiet down a bit.

No this is how I'm asking

"Um excuse me, I'm sorry I have to say this, but we have several students in here taking a midterm for Doctor Malone's CTCH class, could you please keep your voices down while they take their tests?"
 Sylph.Rasibian
Serveur: Sylph
user: Rasibian
By Sylph.Rasibian 2014-03-18 12:40:30
Link | Citer | R

u have to smack one face to scare the others
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-03-18 12:57:20
Link | Citer | R

"Um excuse me, I'm sorry I have to say this, but we have several students in here taking a midterm for Doctor Malone's CTCH class, could you please keep your voices down while they take their tests?"

see that is wrong, conversation only invites argument.

if berserk violence isn't your thing... I would try staring at them until they shut up.

Come up out of your chair like a shot, hopefully knocking your chair over then Lock eyes with them but make no other sudden movements.... very very slowly keep moving closer towards them... once you break their comfort zone and start breathing on their faces they should submit....
[+]
 Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Rulerofdarkness 2014-03-18 13:07:35
Link | Citer | R

There is such thing as a right to refuse service. I work in a hotel as a Night Audit Manager. We essentially have the same policy of treat all guests with utmost respect, but when it comes to a guest being beligerant, rude, w/e, etc. We can ask them to leave and refuse service. If they refuse, we can then tell them to leave. If they still don't we can call the cops/security.

When a customer/guest reaches the point of essentially being a disruption/nuisance to other guests/customers, they are no longer consider a customer/guest and the aforementioned policy no longer applies to them.

Extenuating circumstances and all. The rules/policies of a business do have exceptions and reasonable accommodations can be made to ensure that business operations continue to flow smoothly.

Making a couple of guests leave is better than having half the place leave and not ever do business there again due to those few that think the rules don't apply to them.
By fonewear 2014-03-18 13:13:28
Link | Citer | R

Get a different job.
[+]
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Dawnn
By Dawn Charis 2014-03-18 13:45:16
Link | Citer | R

eat them, cannibalism is always the answer
[+]
By Leysritt 2014-03-19 09:06:28
Link | Citer | R

(
Dawn Charis said: »
eat them, cannibalism is always the answer
(O.O )
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2014-03-19 09:22:25
Link | Citer | R

By the sounds of it you have the same job that I do at my university. In my case, you just don't take food in the lab period, so I'll ask them to put it away or finish it outside. If they refuse I'll ask again, after that I'd call a manager to deal with it... if they aren't available then I'll call campus security (it hasn't come to that yet).

Basically, for me, if the rules are clear cut in the lab, on a sign, then they can leave if they have an issue with it. But always contact a manager first (in my case the technicians are the managers) so then at least if something goes wrong you can say you notified someone about it.

EDIT: oh and if you're gonna call security, tell them that before you do... saying that alone will often get them to stop or leave.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-03-19 09:37:21
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

see that is wrong, conversation only invites argument.

if berserk violence isn't your thing... I would try staring at them until they shut up.

Come up out of your chair like a shot, hopefully knocking your chair over then Lock eyes with them but make no other sudden movements.... very very slowly keep moving closer towards them... once you break their comfort zone and start breathing on their faces they should submit....
Pretty much this, this is a very good advice for any customer service environment.

When I joined the customer service universe, I was told to "remain polite but force the customer to either answer by no or yes, nothing else". So in this situation you need to make them understand that their attitude is wrong and either they change it or they cannot stay here.

Then, you enforce your policy to back you up. That being said, as said above, you should ask the opinion of your higher up as they will be able to explain the policy clearly to you and might even add some nuance to it to make your job easier.
[+]