Console Exec Files Not Updating Upon Saving?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Console Exec files not updating upon saving?
Console Exec files not updating upon saving?
 Sylph.Munenori
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Cyphe
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 17:00:40
Link | Citer | R

I'm usually fairly savvy with this sort of thing but here's the issue I've been having:

I just recently "upgraded" Windower 3.x to 4, and I've been having no end of trouble attempting to update my .txt files for console exec macros. After the initial download and install of Windower 4, I transferred all my old Windower gear swap notepad .txt files into the new Windower 4 scripts folder, simple enough.

Now, however, whenever I update a particular script for a new piece of gear (Hadjuk Ring +1 over Bellona's Ring for example) in the notepad .txt file and save; it continues to reference the old file's syntax with the old item that was present when I did the initial transfer.

This isn't just specific to that item or script folder either - I've attempted the same procedure on in multiple scripts for different jobs all with the same result.

I've tried renaming the .txt files and having Windower 4 access the NEW file - still no luck. I've updated the OLD script files as well - still no luck. All of my syntax is correct (all gear still swaps normally save for the one or two pieces I attempted to edit), and I'm pretty stumped on this one. The only two things I haven't tried is 1) clean re-install Windower 4 and 2) move Windower 4 completely to a new directory where Windower 3.x isn't located.

A friend of mine that also uses console exec macros over spellcast exclusively the same way I do has also mentioned an issue that he has as well, though his fix (Ctrl+S to save changes) hasn't worked in my case.

I figued I'd put this up here due to the higher weekend traffic browsing rather than the Windower forums to see if I could get a hit with someone who would have even a vague idea of a fix I haven't thought of.

PC is an older Compaq running Vista 32bit if it's relevant.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-18 17:14:09
Link | Citer | R

Windower 4 is a separate installation, make sure the file is in the windower 4 folder and not the windower 3 folder. You're probably updating the wrong file.

You have to have something either named wrong or in the wrong place, when you use a console exec command, it literally loads the file at that moment, so assuming you've completely shut down windower at some point, it will always load the current version of the file.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-08-18 17:15:59
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, the new windower puts it's stuff under C:\program files\windower4
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 17:18:22
Link | Citer | R

I've updated both actually, the ones in the Windower 4 directory; as well as the older files in the old Windower directory just as a fail-safe.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-18 17:21:42
Link | Citer | R

Are you using full extensions in your macro or shortened ones.

Console exec C:/windows/programfiles/windower.......

or

Console exec whm/cure.txt

You could be calling up an older version of the file. Also, just for kicks, you could restart windower to be sure it's not looping for some reason.
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 17:26:28
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, I had restarted after the issue first occurred just to check, but not the case.

Although... I'm not using the full extension on the file name, only the console exec Rng/TP.txt for example - does the Windower 4 console NEED the full extension? That would fix it outright - trying that now.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-18 17:28:50
Link | Citer | R

I'm honestly not sure, I never used console commands in windower 4. mind posting the .txt you're trying to call up and what about it isn't working correctly?
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 17:44:53
Link | Citer | R

C:Users/Me/Desktop/Games/FFXI/Windower4/Rng/TP.txt

Mind you, this isn't the Playonline FFXI folder, just what I stick Windower, FFXICalc, and Kparser when it feels like working.

Using the full file extension isn't possible on the in-game macro palette either, just attempted that.

Here's the .txt:

input /equip head "Scout's Beret +2";
input /equip neck "Hope Torque";
input /equip ear1 "Volley Earring";
input /equip ear2 "Clearview Earring";
input /equip body "Sylvan Caban +2";
input /equip hands "Sylvan Glovelettes +2";
input /equip ring1 "Hajduk Ring +1;
input /equip ring2 "Rajas Ring";
input /equip back "Sylvan Chlamys";
input /equip waist "Scout's Belt";
input /equip legs "Sylvan Bragues +2";
input /equip feet "Scout's Socks +2";
input /echo : : : : : TP SET : : : : :

Now the old Rng/TP.txt read this way:

input /equip head "Scout's Beret +2";
input /equip neck "Hope Torque";
input /equip ear1 "Volley Earring";
input /equip ear2 "Clearview Earring";
input /equip body "Sylvan Caban +2";
input /equip hands "Sylvan Glovelettes +2";
input /equip ring1 "Bellona's Ring;
input /equip back "Sylvan Chlamys";
input /equip waist "Scout's Belt";
input /equip legs "Sylvan Bragues +2";
input /equip feet "Scout's Socks +2";

and even after updating BOTH files in both script folders, it still references /equip ring1 Bellona's Ring;

Though it's likely something simple that I'm not realizing due to not being familiar with Windower 4; like I said, stumped.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-18 17:48:40
Link | Citer | R

you don't have the statement closed, if you Idle or shoot in bellona's ring, it's going to stay equipped.

Ring 1 is missing the " to close the name in both files.
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 18:10:40
Link | Citer | R

Well I'll be damned, I must have poured over that script for 2 hours last night and didn't notice that.

Though I wish it would have been that simple.
Fixed the syntax - still no swap to Hadjuk Ring +1.

Here's another that seems that I've edited since installing Windower 4 that doesn't work as intended.

Sam/TP.txt:

input /equip ammo "Hagneia Stone";
input /equip head "Yaoyotl Helm";
input /equip neck "Asperity Necklace";
input /equip ear1 "Unkai Mimikazari";
input /equip ear2 "Brutal Earring";
input /equip body "Unkai Domaru +2";
input /equip hands "Mikinaak Gauntlets";
input /equip ring1 "Tyrant's Ring";
input /equip back "Misuuchi Kappa";
input /equip waist "Bullwhip Belt";
input /equip legs "Unkai Haidate +2";
input /equip feet "Mikinaak Greaves";

Sam/TP.txt used to read:

input /equip ammo "Hagneia Stone";
input /equip head "Unkai Kabuto +2";
input /equip neck "Asperity Necklace";
input /equip ear1 "Unkai Mimikazari";
input /equip ear2 "Brutal Earring";
input /equip body "Unkai Domaru +2";
input /equip hands "Mikinaak Gauntlets";
input /equip ring1 "Tyrant's Ring";
input /equip back "Misuuchi Kappa";
input /equip waist "Bullwhip Belt";
input /equip legs "Unkai Haidate +2";
input /equip feet "Mikinaak Greaves";

and again, loading Unkai Kabuto +2 for TP, and not Yaoyotl Helm.

It seems that it references everything from the old folder dump, without any of the saved notepad changes.
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 18:14:08
Link | Citer | R

I'm just going to have to change the directory out of Desktop/Games/FFXI and clean install it into Program Files.

Does anyone else still have their old Windower 3 folder located near their Windower 4 folder and NOT having this issue?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-18 18:14:24
Link | Citer | R

Where are you launching windower from? Try launching it from the installation folder that you are editing. It may also be helpful to uninstall any other installations of windower/4 that you have on your computer.

Sylph.Munenori said: »
I'm just going to have to change the directory out of Desktop/Games/FFXI and clean install it into Program Files.

Does anyone else still have their old Windower 3 folder located near their Windower 4 folder and NOT having this issue?

I had windower 3 and 4 both in the program files X86 folder on windows 7 and never had an issue with it calling files from the other folder.
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 18:25:00
Link | Citer | R

Launching it from a desktop shortcut to -
Desktop/Games/FFXI/Windower4, and only 1 install of Windower 4 on my pc currently.

Attempting a clean uninstall/reinstall now. I'll change the directory just for the hell of it to change some parameter in this issue here.
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 19:26:15
Link | Citer | R

Ok, clean re-install of Windower 4 - installed in the default C:Program Files/Windower4 directory. Updated all of my old Windower 3.x script files and copy/pasted them into the empty Windower 4 scripts folder.

Works as intended. Attempted to edit the notepad file in the Windower 4 scripts folder, with the same result as on the first install. Gear will only swap through console exec command as if it's referencing the pre-edited file.

I'm starting to think this is less of a Windower related problem, and more of something to do with how Notepad is saving my files.

The only thing that seems odd is how this wasn't an issue prior to yesterday's download of the Windower 4 client.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-18 20:00:01
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Munenori said: »
Ok, clean re-install of Windower 4 - installed in the default C:Program Files/Windower4 directory. Updated all of my old Windower 3.x script files and copy/pasted them into the empty Windower 4 scripts folder.

Works as intended. Attempted to edit the notepad file in the Windower 4 scripts folder, with the same result as on the first install. Gear will only swap through console exec command as if it's referencing the pre-edited file.

I'm starting to think this is less of a Windower related problem, and more of something to do with how Notepad is saving my files.

The only thing that seems odd is how this wasn't an issue prior to yesterday's download of the Windower 4 client.

Only thing I can think is that you have either duplicates or that you have them saved in a strange manner like tp.txt.doc or something along those lines. double check that you are indeed saving them as .txt in the file type box and not just naming them .txt.

After that, I'm clueless on what the problem is.

And make sure that if you're calling them as rng/tp.txt that they are in a folder within the scripts folder and not just files within the scripts folder. If you brought older versions over in a folder yet are editing a file that is directly in the scripts folder.

Something like windower4/scripts/tp.txt vs windower4/scripts/rng/tp.txt.
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 20:52:32
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »

Only thing I can think is that you have either duplicates or that you have them saved in a strange manner like tp.txt.doc or something along those lines. double check that you are indeed saving them as .txt in the file type box and not just naming them .txt.

After that, I'm clueless on what the problem is.

And make sure that if you're calling them as rng/tp.txt that they are in a folder within the scripts folder and not just files within the scripts folder. If you brought older versions over in a folder yet are editing a file that is directly in the scripts folder.

Something like windower4/scripts/tp.txt vs windower4/scripts/rng/tp.txt.

Yes, all the .txt files have the correct file extension, and in their appropriate script folder locations.

I did manage to find a work around for this though.

I opened a new folder on the desktop, and placed a complete duplicate set of scripts into it. Here's the strange part: Editing and saving them in that separate folder, then sending them to overwrite/replace the same named script in the actual Windower4/scripts folder does the trick.

Why this works or how? I have no idea. It should have been an identical procedure to what I performed when copy/pasted the updated Windower/scripts folder files from my old version of Windower to the new. Changing the source of the file from the Windower (or Windower4) directory seemed to allow it to save appropriately.

That said though, thank you for the brainstorming Jass, much appreciated.

EDIT: And for pointing out my shortbus moment with the Rng/TP syntax, cheers.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-08-18 20:58:55
Link | Citer | R

Not a problem, just one last thing for future editing, I'd download Notepad++ and use that. Get familiar with the program, it will be invaluable if you ever move on to spellcast.
 Sylph.Munenori
By Sylph.Munenori 2013-08-18 21:05:08
Link | Citer | R

Thanks, I think I'll do that; in fact I'm leveling my wife's old WHM account as a weekend project, and I know I'll find Spellcast indispensable on her mage jobs that I do attempt.