Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Goldbox Farming/Tahrongi [A]
Goldbox Farming/Tahrongi [A]
 Bismarck.Coldcuts
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Fatmike
By Bismarck.Coldcuts 2013-03-21 21:48:59
Link | Citer | R

So for the longest time I've tried to avoid the dreaded Glavoid path, mainly because of the KI farming...I loathe fighting for claims and waiting for repops. I'm a fairly anti-social type...I low man most of what I do with the same friend. I also have an alt acct whm-only. Recently I decided to take up said dreaded path for a Ukon I covet. Another thing I've never really dipped into was gold box farming. I know blu and war are good for it, and I know about farming Bhumi for Amber lights. Looking for some tips on what would be the most efficient way to go about this between the 3 of us. I've tried looking up general info and have gotten a lot of general knowledge, but I'm hoping some of you can help me out. I read (but dont post) these boards often, and really respect the opinions of the general player base here. These are the jobs we have at our disposal (in order of how well-geared they are, though all jobs I'm listing are geared well enough to do this in my opinion...I've left out those that are underskilled/geared):

Me:
Whm
Bst
Sch
Sam
Thf
War

Friend:
Drk
Nin
Rng
Blm
Thf
Pld

Alt:
Whm

Thanks for your time! If there's a post close enough to what I'm looking for that'll help, feel free to direct me.
 Siren.Calnus
Serveur: Siren
user: Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2013-03-21 21:53:18
Link | Citer | R

Ninja with all available red procs (ie event item scythe and polearm) as well as migawari makes Glavoid an absolute joke both for farming and for fighting.

Your best bet is NIN WHM and THF honestly. Just make sure NIN keeps up migawari for Disgorge. Recommend to turn around and fight/WS only when hes casting spells until you get more used to him and his patterns.

Hopefully your WHM has proper atma and the THF has TH7, It's perfect if you can pull everything off the way I just mentioned. Been doing this myself very recently without issue. Farming the KI's is recommended from NM's rather than gold boxes because full Chrloris and Lacovie pops also come from gold. Can take you several hours just to get what you want with luck.

...Unless your friend wants chloris buds too then you can make it a dual effort which I would recommend honestly.

Regardless your going to be spending some lovely time in that zone. Good luck.

EDIT: Another reason I don't recommend gold box farming for you personally is the lack of BLU in those lists. BLU is almost essential for cleaving Courels. Can do it with warrior in PDT as well but it really will take you quite awhile.
 Bismarck.Coldcuts
By Bismarck.Coldcuts 2013-03-21 22:02:45
Link | Citer | R

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific...I'm mainly looking for tips on how to gold box farm the KI. I also forgot to mention I have a very well geared BST (edited my OP).

That being said, tyvm Calnus for the tips...I'll definitely heed.
 Siren.Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2013-03-21 22:07:02
Link | Citer | R

WAR+WHM is your only option for cleaving. Try to find Bhumi (Titan Avatar) and kill it with amber for 64~128 amber instantly per kill. There is usually 2-3 Bhumi up at once. Cockatrices give 100% azure in the zone. Recommend 255 Amber and 130 Azure for consistency if you really choose to cycle through endless gold getting Chloris and Lacovie pops too. Cleaving will naturally give you pearl lights as you randomly kill the scragglers from fell cleave.

I farmed gold boxes twice. It took me around 3-4 hours to get 4 full Glavoid sets. In the process I got 3 Chloris and 4 Lacovie. Matter of luck involved for how much time you will spend. NM's are the way to go for time efficiency.
 Bismarck.Coldcuts
By Bismarck.Coldcuts 2013-03-21 22:08:55
Link | Citer | R

I may just go with the NM's then lol...thanks for the feedback!
 Siren.Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2013-03-21 22:12:29
Link | Citer | R

It wouldn't be so bad if 4 chloris KI and 3 lacovi KI weren't possible along with 2 gold box items (PLD head and COR ring).

It's a giant crap shoot with gold boxes in attowha. If you had more people I would reccomend a hybrid of a few people farming KI boxes and a few people doing NM's that are lacking from boxes.

But with 3 and your jobs either route you take will be awhile.

Instead of 3-4 hours of cleaving for 4 glavoid sets, I was able to do all the NM's on 4 characters in just over 1.5 hours. Done both methods twice and I only have access to NIN WHM THF BST myself as my 4 characters. NM's worked out best for me.

Either way good luck~
By itchi508 2013-03-21 22:19:36
Link | Citer | R

Best advice for gold box farming is don't do it. If you plan to KI farm threw gold boxs it's going to take you 10x longer. You can Farm Nms and make a glav or chloris set in 30-40 mins if theres no competition. Only reason I would suggest gold box farm is in a party/alliance where you have a group camping & Farming pops & KI NMs wile a few of your group gold box farm for TE & extra KI. That's my suggestion. But if you must KI threw boxs do Bats (flux 2). Scorps (flux 4). Or Cats (flux 7). Those are best camps. As for ways to AoE farm: A edge, Fell cleave, Cataclysm or Charged whisker any of them work fine on any of the camps. Keep Ruby light at zero. You can cap all other lights and just farm away. Best I believe is to put amber higher than pearl. say 120pearl & cap your amber. This seems to force all gold boxs and minimal blu since amber is taking priority. This Could be coincidence or could be true. Idk but w/e it is I think it works I always do this method and have AoE farm a lot. Good luck on your farm
 Carbuncle.Peimei
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Peimei
By Carbuncle.Peimei 2013-03-21 22:25:30
Link | Citer | R

With 2/3 of you in that zone it's going to be faster to do the nm's. Tahrongi sucks. I've only cleaved on blu, and it is killer for it however in that zone it's really not worth it.
By Solrain 2013-03-21 22:31:41
Link | Citer | R

For farming KI, NIN+WAR+WHM.

I would just do the NMs individually too, mostly, if you only have three people max, unless you find someone to trade Chloris <> Glavoid KI with or get a few people who are willing to hold KI for you while they leech XP. If you wanna do a combination, have the NIN work on turtles for Amber while you keep an eye out for Bhumi and then FC coeurls (WAR+WHM) in between Adze/Minhocao pops, since they're in close proximity to those two NMs and they don't Ruby.
 Siren.Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2013-03-21 22:32:28
Link | Citer | R

The biggest reason I suggest 255 amber 200 pearl and 130 azure is so you have the minimum azure needed to acquire time extensions + exp/cruor while searching through gold.

Your insane if you think 120 minutes with 2-3 people WAR farming pure amber/pearl is going to net you much yield before time expires.

Bhumi twice gave me 128 amber a few times which was awesome to cap in 2 kills. Then cockatrices to farm azure to 130~. Keep ruby at 0 for sure though. Cleaving whatever mentioned above will gradually net you pearl naturally unless you somehow one shot every single mob every time without stragglers surviving with low HP.

Honestly, just do the NM's. It'll save your sanity. It's a great idea on paper but it's terrible in tahrongi.
By itchi508 2013-03-21 22:46:49
Link | Citer | R

Only places AoE farm really benefit you low man would be Attowa Vunk & Misareaux. Since the KIs come so quickly and are very common, also there are fewer to complete pops. 2/2 or 3/3 sets with good luck you could get 5-10 sets in a hour sometimes. As With NMs like gukumaks or Varney 10-15min repops and usually camped, it could slow you down a bit. Any Other zones besides those 3 i listed, I would personally suggest not gold box farming. Just camp/farm the NMs for KI.
By Datass 2013-03-22 04:42:42
Link | Citer | R

What the above posters have said was my experience. When I built my Ukon, it was my ls's first attempt at Empy farming. We did it Fri and Sat evening/night and had anywhere form 5-10 ppl showing up. We tried Gold Box cleaving for Glavoid pops and found it to be waaaaay slower than just building the popsets manually. The cleaving part is super easy, but getting the proper 4 items is such a crapshoot. Then you still have to farm the NM's you need to complete the partial sets. So much easier to just farm NM's from the gate in an organized manner. Glavoid is just slow no matter what. Took ~ 4 weekends. (We also did Chloris for another ls member afterwards using same method- was slightly faster than Glav pops)

For Itzapop, we cleaved the chigs for time while farming Tunga KI's and got a few KI's that way, but honestly Tunga KI's are the only time consuming part of that pop. The other two are easy peasy to farm. IIRC Uladashi pops aren't too bad to farm up either. We completed my Itzpapa scales in 1.5 weekends.

So even though cleaving seems like a sexy way of creating popsets, in reality it is the slower of the two methods. Even with a consistent group of popset holders showing up to ls events, we basically only cleave to build/rebuild time.
By Spiraboo 2013-04-01 08:46:24
Link | Citer | R

agree with everyone above on killing NMs for KIs~

Did glavoid recently for an ukon and we often get 4 pop sets in just over an hour.

NIN and WHM goes and hunt Adze and Minhocao While the Thf farms the quivering egg(thf can easily solo that nm)/tailmeat/manticore mane, and during the nm down time nin and whm goes and get the whisker. When both nin and whm are done with the adze/min thf comes and start collecting his set, again, farming whiskers during downtime, or farm manes/manticore nms if whiskers are done. Provided you don't have competition or is good at claiming those nms it's relatively painless.
 Asura.Hoshiku
Serveur: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2013-04-01 12:29:26
Link | Citer | R

If you really want to do this goldbox farming method I suggest finding several friends who will come semi-afk and grab KIs for you (maybe get some xp on their low level jobs). It's really your preference what job you go... something that kills fast. You can cleave w/ your war or you can annihilate the zone one mob at a time on your thf. Either should kill pretty fast with the right atmas. I'd have your friend come blm and ga nuke to maximize your chest haul. The biggest problem w/ goldbox farming is that the chests are random... lots of them will not be what you want. Also you'll waste a lot of time building lights so that's a lot of work to only build 3 pops.