Jump...
First Page 2
 Sylph.Snives
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Snives
By Sylph.Snives 2009-06-16 03:05:25
Link | Citer | R

Ok very simple... can I please jump? I find it very pathetic "Garlaig Citadel" for example... I cant jump that little flight of steps... so I gotta get 4 other people to open 3 sets of doors to go all the way around ummm.... yea... thats a kinda slow in my opinion, and lastly... would a flying chocobo hurt =)? Maybe a Dragon or something...?
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 03:13:40
Link | Citer | R

I'm of two minds about jump. I agree that not being able to get up stupid little steps like in garlaige citadel, but I also hate the seeing people jump around all over the place for no reason. From a design perspective though, I completely understand why stupid little steps like the ones in garlaige are there, I just wish they'd make these one way ledges bigger or more sensible so that we don't say things like "WHY CAN'T I CLIMB THIS STUPID TINY LEDGE!" and just accept that it's a one way drop.

Flying chocobos are nearly impossible these days, notice how there hasn't been any ability to fly all over the world in any game that no longer had a 2D world map? It's just not possible/practical to model enough geometry to give you something to fly over.
 Remora.Dubont
Serveur: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-16 04:30:47
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
I'm of two minds about jump. I agree that not being able to get up stupid little steps like in garlaige citadel, but I also hate the seeing people jump around all over the place for no reason. From a design perspective though, I completely understand why stupid little steps like the ones in garlaige are there, I just wish they'd make these one way ledges bigger or more sensible so that we don't say things like "WHY CAN'T I CLIMB THIS STUPID TINY LEDGE!" and just accept that it's a one way drop.

Flying chocobos are nearly impossible these days, notice how there hasn't been any ability to fly all over the world in any game that no longer had a 2D world map? It's just not possible/practical to model enough geometry to give you something to fly over.

Id love to jump..and btw WoW had flying mounts....and so does Perfect World. So i think FF could do it if theyw anted to
 Hades.Kvazz
Serveur: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-06-16 04:33:54
Link | Citer | R

Dubont said:
Blazza said:

Id love to jump..and btw WoW had flying mounts....and so does Perfect World. So i think FF could do it if theyw anted to

Vanguard got flying mounts too
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 04:43:57
Link | Citer | R

O_o How do they restrict where you can go? Or do they only fly a few feet off the ground?
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-06-16 04:47:40
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
O_o How do they restrict where you can go? Or do they only fly a few feet off the ground?

There is a "hight-cap" but they can fly pretty damn far up. those games dont have the same kind of closed zones that FFXI does, so they can fly pretty much everywhere.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 04:50:57
Link | Citer | R

Well I can't imagine XIV will have the same sort of closed zones either, but I'm still not sure I want flight. I still stand by the concept that some places should be hard to get to.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-16 05:09:55
Link | Citer | R

perfect world's height cap is pretty high...from the cap i did a free fall and it took about 5 mins to reach the ground i kid u not
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 05:19:31
Link | Citer | R

So how do they deal with the edges? If you go too far out do you just hit an invisible wall or is the whole world actually on a globe? I'm intrigued :o
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-06-16 05:36:42
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
So how do they deal with the edges? If you go too far out do you just hit an invisible wall or is the whole world actually on a globe? I'm intrigued :o

Not sure, either that or a mountain you cant fly high enough to get over i guess:P but it works pretty smooth in the games i've seen it in.
Reason FFXI wont get either jump or flying chocobos is simply because ffxi is old!
 Remora.Mitsurughy
user: EnricO
By Remora.Mitsurughy 2009-06-16 05:42:18
Link | Citer | R

tell me if im wrong but only way to fly in any FF was airship, chocobos are running only.

Why not wanting a lightsaber thats cool too (?)

about jump, well that wouldnt be of any real use, just against beeing lazy, and go from cavern maw so no need 4 peeps.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-06-16 05:44:14
Link | Citer | R

Mitsurughy said:
tell me if im wrong but only way to fly in any FF was airship, chocobos are running only.

Why not wanting a lightsaber thats cool too (?)

about jump, well that wouldnt be of any real use, just against beeing lazy, and go from cavern maw so no need 4 peeps.

You gotta admit you wish you would jump up a few places now and then?
Every now and then when I'm running up stairs (to telepoints @ crags ect) I'm actually stuck and cant get up.. Wish i could jump up steps like that >_>
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 05:55:41
Link | Citer | R

Please keep in mind that we're talking about FFXIV (14) not FFXI (11)

Also, FFVII had the golden chocobo, which didn't actually fly but could run over oceans and mountains, and FFIX had flying chocobos. FFX also had chocobos that could jump a helluva long way at certain places. FFXII used a similar idea, but rather than having chocobos that could jump or fly, they just made them be able to run through areas of thick bush that you couldn't get through without one.

Not sure about anything pre VII, but I seem to recall one or another of them did have flying chocobos as well as airships?
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-06-16 06:12:04
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
Please keep in mind that we're talking about FFXIV (14) not FFXI (11)

Also, FFVII had the golden chocobo, which didn't actually fly but could run over oceans and mountains, and FFIX had flying chocobos. FFX also had chocobos that could jump a helluva long way at certain places. FFXII used a similar idea, but rather than having chocobos that could jump or fly, they just made them be able to run through areas of thick bush that you couldn't get through without one.

Not sure about anything pre VII, but I seem to recall one or another of them did have flying chocobos as well as airships?

I think 5 had both flying chocobo and airship.
And I think we'll see both of those in FFXIV, but i guess only time will tell.

Edit: But jumping have allways been very limited in FF games, even in 10+! So idk?
 Kujata.Argettio
Serveur: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-06-16 06:35:33
Link | Citer | R

Not being able to jump/swim/fly is a sign of either a old game or a lazy level designer.

You shouldn't be able to jump up the steps in Garlage, the banishing gates are a feature of that map.

But you should be able to jump over knee high piles of snow in Xarc or a fallen log in The Sanctuary of Zi'Tah.

You should be able to swim across small ponds/lakes in Jugner Forest. Christ in vanguard you could swim between continents (although you were very likely to die on the way), which is a journey comparable to swimming from Mhaura to Whitegate.

As for flying that's another matter. Flying mounts have never really been in FF. Airships have (maybe you can get one of them) and chocobos are ground orny (normally).
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Serveur: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-16 07:21:22
Link | Citer | R

FFIV has flying chocobos but could only fly to one place then once you got back on them they flew back to their nest.
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-16 09:31:32
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:

The entire world's a sphere in PW. You go off one side of the map and you appear on the other. You 'could' just let your character fly forever tbh, but there are several creatures/drones in the air across the world, so... you'd likely die. I have though just gotten on my manta (the creature for my race) and set my character to fly awhile while I got something to drink if I needed to travel any amount of distance that wasn't near a teleport.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-16 12:52:07
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Blazza said:

The entire world's a sphere in PW. You go off one side of the map and you appear on the other. You 'could' just let your character fly forever tbh, but there are several creatures/drones in the air across the world, so... you'd likely die. I have though just gotten on my manta (the creature for my race) and set my character to fly awhile while I got something to drink if I needed to travel any amount of distance that wasn't near a teleport.

i do the same thing but im a winged elf so hurray for flyin gat lv 1! lol
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-16 12:55:45
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, you fly at lvl 1... But you fly for ~100' before you crash to the ground with your MP level. lol
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-16 12:58:47
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Yeah, you fly at lvl 1... But you fly for ~100' before you crash to the ground with your MP level. lol

if ur a archer yea but clerics have this inate mp refresh thing so...they can keep flying forever XD thats how i reached the height cap pretty much >.>
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-16 12:59:12
Link | Citer | R

Well I can understand jumping as in jumping up the burb but jumping with knees to your head Wow Style is freakin annoying.

Flying me, I'd rather drive a dune boogie :)
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-16 13:10:16
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, all casters have the Refresh. Been too long since I've played I guess. >.>

Ground transport is booooring. You have to maneuver around obstacles too much. Flying in any form > any land transport imo.
 Midgardsormr.Argento
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Argento
By Midgardsormr.Argento 2009-06-16 19:38:08
Link | Citer | R

I think it'd be tacky and unfitting. You'd also have to adjust how high each race can jump (unless you want lolwow jumping), which would mean us little tarus would be hindered with navigation.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Serveur: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-16 19:39:34
Link | Citer | R

Argento said:
I think it'd be tacky and unfitting. You'd also have to adjust how high each race can jump (unless you want lolwow jumping), which would mean us little tarus would be hindered with navigation.

could give tarus {float}
 Midgardsormr.Argento
By Midgardsormr.Argento 2009-06-16 19:42:07
Link | Citer | R

Ludoggy said:
Argento said:

could give tarus {float}

If I saw a taru WAR float, I think I'd go postal.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 19:50:05
Link | Citer | R

Well, the problem with having the whole world on a sphere is that you just *** yourself out of any new areas with updates, unless you just pop a new island mysteriously out of nowhere. Either way, I don't want flying in FFXI, I just think it's totally un-needed and alternate travel options could be handled much easier. Same with swimming, but that could be okay depending on it's implementation.

Back to the OP, considering all the heavy armour and weapons we all carry, jumping is pretty *** unrealistic, but it also looks dumb, especially if a taru can jump as high as a mithra, and if it can't, then you have too many race advantages which makes the game a lot less even.
 Midgardsormr.Argento
By Midgardsormr.Argento 2009-06-16 19:53:56
Link | Citer | R

Blazza said:
I don't want flying in FFXI, I just think it's totally un-needed and alternate travel options could be handled much easier. Same with swimming, but that could be okay depending on it's implementation.

^

One of the things I like about FFXI is that it feels more like a traditional JRPG.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-06-16 19:56:24
Link | Citer | R

IF YOU WANNA JUMP, GO PLAY WOW!
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Serveur: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-16 20:01:17
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

personal airship
noa plz :o

it would remind me of FF8 when you that smexy red airship /drool
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-16 20:04:51
Link | Citer | R

There was an airship in FF8? I just remember being able to drive THE WHOLE SCHOOL around, which was pretty *** awesome.
First Page 2