Node 86
[+]
 Phoenix.Warusha
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Serithus
By Phoenix.Warusha 2012-12-19 02:02:30
Link | Citer | R

Spurrina Gages still best for Magical, and I believe ngen seraweels best when pttp is over 200. Feel free to delete this later.
 Shiva.Paulu
Serveur: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-12-19 02:22:41
Link | Citer | R

Changed to Spurrina Gages. Thank you. I'm sure I have a bunch of mistakes throughout the guide. I appreciate any help so I can correct them. Work in progress!
 Phoenix.Brixy
Guide Maker
user: Brixy
By Phoenix.Brixy 2012-12-19 02:31:50
Link | Citer | R

Anhur robe best body for wards/siphon, everything else looks good.
[+]
 Bahamut.Cantontai
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Cantontai
By Bahamut.Cantontai 2012-12-19 02:35:26
Link | Citer | R

I don't have SMN lvld (yet!) but this is very exciting. Can't wait to read more!
 Lakshmi.Dragoncloud
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Dragoncloud 2012-12-19 02:41:25
Link | Citer | R

For Damage BP's, would an attack +5 earring beat out 3 summoning magic skill on the summoner's earring?

Also, how does sacrifice tourque fair vs. a pet crit hit+2 augmented neck or a pec acc +4 neck?
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-12-19 02:57:53
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Dragoncloud said: »
For Damage BP's, would an attack +5 earring beat out 3 summoning magic skill on the summoner's earring?

Also, how does sacrifice tourque fair vs. a pet crit hit+2 augmented neck or a pec acc +4 neck?
I would say the attack+ earring unless you needed the accuracy. As for the torque, I don't think the boost to attack was ever quantified so I can't really say.

I know there were a few augmented items from the add on missions. I will have to look into some of that. Probably tomorrow though.
 Cerberus.Mindi
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-12-19 03:07:26
Link | Citer | R

edit nvm found it myself,
great guide!
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-19 04:43:15
Link | Citer | R

Woo fifth guide on the site!

Nabu's jubbah should be awesome for tp.
And there's also these!

Also could add an ideal healing set(it's no news smn backup heals).
 Fenrir.Sylow
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-19 04:49:27
Link | Citer | R

Wasn't there testing a while back that Physical Attack merits do absolutely nothing (to almost nothing)? Believe it was Kegsay.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-19 04:59:16
Link | Citer | R

Indeed, it's here:

http://kegsay.livejournal.com/5510.html

Quote:
The implications of these 13 results are startling. Avatars have a ton of attack. But that's not all. This puts into perspective several augments. Pet:Attack+5 only adds ~1% to your attack, a hardly worthy amount. Furthermore, Attack+15 is just 3%. Do not this excludes 'Enhances Avatar Attack' gear, since this only works on Blood Pacts and needs more testing to quantify. Also, this means that you needn't worry about capping attack on harder level monsters, with caps of 3+, you'd need 999+ attack (most likely not possible due to caps on attack value?) to cap on any monster with over 333 DEF. This also means the merits in Avatar Physical Attack are completely and utterly worthless. With 5 merits you'd have Attack+10, equivalent to 2% increase in attack.

And this was at level 75, Avatars probably have a lot more attack now.

tl;dr I'd advocate Magic Accuracy.
[+]
 Asura.Calinzt
Serveur: Asura
user: Calinz
By Asura.Calinzt 2012-12-19 05:59:11
Link | Citer | R

Nice guide, I was thinking of making one myself but there are a few things I'm not entirely sure of: In particular - "enhances avatar attack".

We did some testing on that with Byrth and other BG forumgoers here. But we couldn't really come up with a conclusion.

However, the existence of certain gear stat combinations for pets/avatars, lead me to strongly believe that there is an effect. For instance: Spurrina Gages get PDT-3% augment for the summoner. Not much use to that augment unless the avatar attack of those applied to the avatar TP phase(since otherwise you'd just macro them out after the Blood Pact).

And now there's Marduk's Crackows +1 which give avatar Haste, so it makes sense to me that the bonus attack they also give avatars would apply to the avatar TP phase as well.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-19 06:09:59
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Calinzt said: »
However, the existence of certain gear stat combinations for pets/avatars, lead me to strongly believe that there is an effect. For instance: Spurrina Gages get PDT-3% augment for the summoner. Not much use to that augment unless the avatar attack of those applied to the avatar TP phase(since otherwise you'd just macro them out after the Blood Pact).

This isn't a very good argument, I point you to
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Etoile_Tiara_%2B2
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
user: Gundula
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-12-19 06:12:30
Link | Citer | R

The way to go about merits category 1 -magical- has always been MAB. Depending on what you do with your SMN, physical acc (group play only) or shorter cast time (if more solo) for the rest.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-12-19 06:16:47
Link | Citer | R

Well, of course MAB is given. But if Physical Attack meriting is as as testing as suggested, just about anything else would provide more use.
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-12-19 06:19:36
Link | Citer | R

Yes, never merit physical attack. It´s useless (at least for now).
By Aeyela 2012-12-19 06:23:31
Link | Citer | R

Worth a mention that Favor will also decrease the attack of an avatar when it's active. It makes a noticeable difference in physical blood pact damage. Also worth mentioning SMN's solo capabilities; it's one of the best parts about the job! Nice guide on the whole though.

Re: Attack, it's a bit useless outside of avatars meleeing and even then it's use is questionable. Magic Attack and Magic Accuracy is a much better way to go. On the 'big' fights you're more likely to be using the magical merit skills just because of the consistency in its damage.

Example: Spinning Dive on Brulo can do some excellent damage, but spamming Grand Fall for 2k a time is far more efficient damage wise as it's reliable.
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-12-19 06:32:48
Link | Citer | R

It´s also important to mention that if you use Favor and dismiss the avatar to call another one, the whole build-up of the supporting effect starts anew.

It would also be nice to add the most important things about soloing on SMN. I know in today´s FFXI not as many people as in the past do it. Still, if you want to solo harder stuff you need to be aware of hate mechanics, which gear helps the most etc..
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-12-19 06:34:46
Link | Citer | R

"Group 1:
Over the years I've seen a general consensus that 5 out of 5 merits in Physical Attack and Magical Attack are ideal. I also share this opinion."

I really wonder where you have seen this over the years as general consensus. Because all i have seen over the years suggests othewise (see above).
By Aeyela 2012-12-19 06:39:11
Link | Citer | R

At 75 cap there was more emphasis on attack and accuracy. SMN was a popular job for HNM and an avatar's attack wasn't as readily capped as it is nowadays on HNM content. General damage was better with physical blood pacts than the merit ones on HNM, too, with a couple of exceptions. Spinning Dive on Fafnir, Predator Claws on Tiamat, etc.
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-12-19 06:42:25
Link | Citer | R

No, just no. Acc yes, and that never changed. But not attack. Read Kegsay´s stuff above, i think this was 1) originally posted a lot earlier than 2010, and 2) not the only testing that suggested physical att is useless, no matter where you used your SMN. Hell, we discussed this to death in 2005 allready.
By Aeyela 2012-12-19 06:45:45
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gundulagause said: »
No, just no. Acc yes, and that never changed. But not attack. Read Kegsay´s stuff above, i think this was 1) oroginally posted a lot earlier than 2010, and 2) not the only testing that suggested physical att is useless, no matter where you used your SMN. Hell, we discussed this to death in 2005 allready.

At 75 cap SMN was a very niche job and outside of Wind Blade spam on Kirin I never, ever used magic blood pacts. Why would I merit something I won't be using all that often? The same will be said by a lot of Summoners if you asked them.

So, the logical choice was Attack and Accuracy. Whether it's useful or not was never part of the equation for a lot of people. To broadly label a beneficial stat as useless is something you can't actually do, regardless of what proof you think you have. Attack does something, else it wouldn't be something we're given the choice to increase.
 Fenrir.Gundulagause
By Fenrir.Gundulagause 2012-12-19 06:48:07
Link | Citer | R

edit:

Congrats on meriting a useless category instead of one that is usefull at times.
[+]
By Aeyela 2012-12-19 06:54:08
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gundulagause said: »
edit:

Congrats on meriting a useless category instead of one that is usefull at times.

Why thank you!
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-12-19 08:59:15
Link | Citer | R

I changed the merit category. I'll admit I haven't touched my group 1 since the beginning before they even buffed up the Merit BP's damage. Also, I do mention the penalties to using avatar's favor. Most is sourced from BG wiki. At the very least I'm glad to have a place to discuss these things. I'm sure I'll learn a lot. Keep it coming guys. I'd love to keep tweeking this till its a largely accepted place to send new summoners to :)

Edit: Also, I wasn't sure about the new Marduk Body since it lacks accuracy. It may be situational.

Double edit: Added some comments regarding soloing.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-12-19 09:43:25
Link | Citer | R

Where's the idle set?! lol
 Sylph.Wardeniii
Serveur: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-12-19 09:51:29
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Asura.Calinzt said: »

This isn't a very good argument, I point you to
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Etoile_Tiara_%2B2

Looks like its time to start macro'ing waltz potency into my weapon skill sets.

(Cool SMN guide btw)
By Anberlin 2012-12-19 10:02:01
Link | Citer | R

Paulu, you rock! Great guide~!
First Page 2 ... 48 49 50