Forum » Windower » Support » Windows 8 and FFXI not showing up for check files
Windows 8 and FFXI not showing up for check files
 Odin.Nappy
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Nappypup
By Odin.Nappy 2012-11-18 18:39:46
Link | Citer | R

i have followed all types of guides and even used the reg file trick and bat to reg. the dlls yet POL cant see that FFXI is installed. Any ideas?
By Jetackuu 2012-11-18 18:42:38
Link | Citer | R

don't use windows 8
[+]
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-18 18:47:48
Link | Citer | R

Wish I could answer that myself. One if the biggest reasons why I refuse to switch over. Win8 just isn't compatible with so many programs out there. And I use a lot.
[+]
 Odin.Nappy
By Odin.Nappy 2012-11-18 18:49:36
Link | Citer | R

ya everything else i use works just not 11
 Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Milliniar
By Quetzalcoatl.Milliniar 2012-11-18 18:54:11
Link | Citer | R

dual boot if you want to use win8
[+]
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-18 18:56:42
Link | Citer | R

Did you use the Playonline Install you get via the website? Vista/Win7. Win8 uses the "Program Files" & "Program Files (x86)" Method? Pretty sure they do. After that try going into your regedit and going into your POL section. Collapse everything and click on computer then hit CTRL F. Type in Playonline. Keep hitting enter and checking to see if all the addresses are correct and link to your program file .exe's

Ghetto method.

If you intalled multipal times files can get mixed up in different parts of your computer. I suggest getting Revo Uninstaller. They are good at getting rid of all files when uninstalling.
 Odin.Nappy
By Odin.Nappy 2012-11-18 18:58:11
Link | Citer | R

Yes that is exactly what i did to start. i have done reinstalls the ghetto method many times over but this is just messing with my head >.<
 Odin.Nappy
By Odin.Nappy 2012-11-18 18:59:05
Link | Citer | R

i have 2 Hard drives one has win7 other has win8 i just would like to not have to reboot just to play 1 game :(
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-18 18:59:58
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Nappy said: »
Yes that is exactly what i did to start. i have done reinstalls the ghetto method many times over but this is just messing with my head >.<

Well. I can't make anymore suggestions other then that xD If I was there I'd may be able to figure it out. That's just how I work. Not good at explaining computer shiz.
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-18 19:01:23
Link | Citer | R

i have 2 Hard drives one has win7 other has win8 i just would like to not have to reboot just to play 1 game :(

There are a couple different reliable virtual machine (Run an OS inside your current OS) programs you can use. Make sure you got lots of ram if you ever decide to use one. Virtual Box and VMWare
 Odin.Nappy
By Odin.Nappy 2012-11-18 19:02:51
Link | Citer | R

i can do a join me if u would like to see it
 Fenrir.Camiie
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2012-11-18 19:04:24
Link | Citer | R

If you want FFXI to run on Windows 8 you're going to have to get better gear and form better strategies. Windows 8 compatibility isn't meant for everyone.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-18 19:05:44
Link | Citer | R

lol I'm not sure that post made any sense... at all
By Jetackuu 2012-11-18 19:06:20
Link | Citer | R

again:

Jetackuu said: »
don't use windows 8
[+]
 Odin.Nappy
By Odin.Nappy 2012-11-18 19:06:26
Link | Citer | R

http://join.me/ ?
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-18 19:10:33
Link | Citer | R

Yea I was talking about the "need better gear and strategies" post.

I can take a look at it, later later though if you'd like. Can add me on MSN. Rather do screen sharing on skype btw. Much easier that way. lol
 Fenrir.Camiie
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2012-11-18 19:10:46
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Lilsanchez said: »
lol I'm not sure that post made any sense... at all

That's SE's newly stated philosophy about content. I just assume it applies to everything they do.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-18 19:15:33
Link | Citer | R

You know in all honestly I really just advise using virtual machine with XP, hell even windows 2000. Uses very little ram. Starts up super fast. Virtual Box actually is pretty neat. It makes it so it kinda looks like the VM isn't even running. It's there Windowless combined with your current main OSs desktop.

example.
By Jetackuu 2012-11-18 19:17:34
Link | Citer | R

Virtualbox doesn't fully support direct3d, which XI needs.

I've gotten it to run, but not in a playable state.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-18 19:23:30
Link | Citer | R

Oh yea... Been so long. Think I remember encountering that issue too. I did get it to work with VMWare though. They have DirectX support and hardware acceleration. I ran into some issues with driver compatibility though and gave up on it. That was many years ago. I should check to see if they even made any progress on it.
 Odin.Nappy
By Odin.Nappy 2012-11-19 18:49:46
Link | Citer | R

finally got it to show up on file check. For some reason when i ran the batch file it did not reg. the dll files!!! after some more looking around on the interwebs i found out u have to run it from a admin cmd prompt. hope this helps someone else!
 Bahamut.Bekisa
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-11-19 19:17:44
Link | Citer | R

Just built a new system a few weeks ago, tried out Win 8 and about half my stuff didn't work completely. Most programs worked but after finding stupid little things here and there that didn't work, I'm sticking with 7 for a while. If I start seeing decent reviews of people who do things I do having no problems, I'll check it out again.

I did the Vista 'beta' release prior to SP1 and don't wish to deal with that again. Finding "work arounds" for my every day software makes me a sad taru.

I run VMWare on my Mac Book too. Everything works just like it does on my Win 7 system though it tasks the RAM pretty high when I 2 box. I've honestly never tried running VWware for FFXI on my Win 7 system though since really no need to :)
 Valefor.Omnys
Serveur: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-11-19 20:08:08
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Lilsanchez said: »
Yea I was talking about the "need better gear and strategies" post.

I can take a look at it, later later though if you'd like. Can add me on MSN. Rather do screen sharing on skype btw. Much easier that way. lol

"She/he was making a cheap shot at SE's general answer to aoe-one-shot moves lol.

"The problem isn't Windows 8, you just merely need a computer much better than any that exist, or you need to accept that there are certain games within playonline that you're not meant to run."
 Bahamut.Lilsanchez
By Bahamut.Lilsanchez 2012-11-19 20:40:34
Link | Citer | R

Nah... Windows 8 doesn't need much more spec then Windows 7 does. It's Windows 8's different infrastructural programming. Their method for execution and handling are different in some areas. Software to software or software to hardware.
 Valefor.Omnys
Serveur: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2012-11-19 20:58:08
Link | Citer | R

psssst, it was a joke

And not about Windows 8 ;)

XI runs poorly on anything newer than XP.. the chances that SE will ever do anything about Windows 8 are zilch. There's not even a remote chance they'd admit there's things they could do.