Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FF IV DS
FF IV DS
 Kujata.Kenada
Serveur: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Kenada
By Kujata.Kenada 2008-03-20 08:43:43
Link | Citer | R

I know this is really out of context but does anyone know if SE plans on doing a FFIV DS North American release?

I'm just looking for a solid RPG on the DS that doesn't revolve around kids, pets, cards, or anything else that just seems silly. FFTA2 looks like its gonna be another piece of... just like the first one for the GBA (don't get me started, but the first one (PS1) was great great game).

So far FFIV DS is really the only game I'm looking forward to (on the DS) and so far I haven't heard if SE is really gonna release it in NA. All the other games I've read up on seem childish or gimmicky.

If anyone has any suggestions for a good old school feel or solid RPG on the DS, I'm open to hear opinions and suggestions.
 Caitsith.Orestes
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Orestes
By Caitsith.Orestes 2008-03-21 12:25:05
Link | Citer | R

The remake of FFIII on the DS wasn't too bad.
 Kujata.Kenada
By Kujata.Kenada 2008-03-22 07:07:01
Link | Citer | R

It wasn't but it didn't keep interested enough to keep playing though.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [51 days between previous and next post]
 Caitsith.Lightwarrior
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Lightwarrior 2008-05-12 12:48:41
Link | Citer | R

It releases in NA sometime in June or July.
 Kujata.Kenada
By Kujata.Kenada 2008-05-12 13:55:34
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I read about that couple weeks ago. I'm pretty psyched about it. Too bad its taking to long to come out.

Also hoping that Soma Bringer is coming over to North America. Gonna need to find some games to play since I canceled my FFXI account.

What do you know, right when I canceled my account, out comes the mog lottery.

Well the lottery does reek of RMT so I'm not completely disappointed.
 Ramuh.Rikapi
Premium
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Rikapi
By Ramuh.Rikapi 2008-05-13 02:49:02
Link | Citer | R

Considering that I've played FF4 on basically every platform it came out on (SFC, SNES, PS, WSC, GBA, and DS... my god I just realized that I've bought the same game six times...) I'll put in my quite lengthy two yen.

The graphic bump up to polygons a la FF3DS is cute, but it makes some parts of the map really hard to see (especially when you're looking for the hidden passages that you KNOW are there). And along the same lines, the movement via touch-screen is cool in the beginning, but as time goes on I found it easier to just do the D-pad action. The "reward" for completely automapping each floor of a dungeon is also a nice touch (incentive to complete the automap), but can get irritating when you're at 99% complete and cant' figure out where the one pixel you haven't unearthed is.
The full-voiced movies was really nice (especially with the high-profile actors and voice actors that were in some of the key roles... like Takeshi Kaga, the guy that says "Allez Cuisine!" in Iron Chef, was the voice behind Golbez), but at the same time it's unfortunate because it deprives you the liberty of changing everyone's names (which leads you to the mini-quest series involving Namingway, who is now a bunny that kinda looks like the FF12 version of Moogle IMO)...
The "Decant Ability" system (the one that lets members of your party learn certain abilities from parted characters or certain enemies) was a nice touch as it adds flexibility, but when you're playing it with three loops in mind you have only so much liberty to ensure that your final fivesome in loop 3 has all the uber-abilities.
The most disappointing part was that both the ability to select characters for your final dungeon party and the post-final battle dungeon that were added in the Game Boy Advance version got cut (as a result of the full-voiced cut scenes, most likely) -- honestly, I don't think the Decant and the full-voice cutscenes were worth the omission of the GBA extras.
The battle difficulty was jacked up quite a bit -- most people who have played any previous incarnation would agree with me that finishing the game at level 60 is a piece of cake; in the DS version you will probably go through hoops and whistles to finish the game at level 60. From mid-game, I consistently found myself 10~15 levels higher at any given point in time in the DS version than in the same place from any previous incarnation, and even then I still found myself wiping at times (damn flame dogs, I think I must have wiped at least 10 times in bab-il)...

All in all, it wasn't a cakewalk like the previous versions, but I was really able to enjoy the main storyline in all its glory, so I'd still say it's worth a shot.

There have been a couple serious bugs in the JP release (if you watch the "prologue" in the movie-player option and then save while playing loop 2 -- and the movie in question doesn't even shopw up until loop 2 -- the game will freeze up during the ending sequence and you won't be able to start loop 3) and I think fixing these bugs (as well as ADR for the voiced cut-scenes) is why the NA release is taking so long.
 Kujata.Kenada
By Kujata.Kenada 2008-05-13 10:13:20
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the post Rika. I dont' remember too much from the original FFIV. I beat it once and never gave it a second thought. So I'm looking forward to playing it.

After browsing through a US release date for RPGs on the DS, I came across a title I haven't heard of before; Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled.

It looks like a throwback and tribute to classic RPGs. Having said that, I think any fan Chrono Trigger should definitely, at the very least, take a look at the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFcHvakg4-M
(battle sequences are at the end)

I haven't heard much of this game until today and it has quickly moved up to the top of my list of wanted games for the DS. I hope this game doesn't disappoint.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [153 days between previous and next post]
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-10-13 21:56:18
Link | Citer | R

Black sigil looks very nice. I loved Trigger back in the day and i killed it ^^ I've been waiting for something nice to play on the go, w/o having to get a psp. Glad i found this post. Thanks ^^