Guard Skill Up Locations

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Guard Skill Up locations
Guard Skill Up locations
By macsdf1 2011-07-10 06:29:29
Link | Citer | R

Spent 3 days and camped a Prouesse ring, then went to fight some mandys. About 7 hours went from 255 to 301 guarding on mnk. I should have sub subbed warrior or something, my evades too high so they miss me like 1/2 the time, or it would go faster.

Gonna try with skillup food and /war tomorrow and see if I can cap it.
By macsdf1 2011-07-11 17:19:45
Link | Citer | R

Only took little under 3 hour to get from 301 to 354, using ring and the new skillup food saltena hehe. Raised parry from 263 to 327 as well after in 4 hours.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-07-11 17:28:53
Link | Citer | R

Here's a good Guard set for people looking to skill guard (*'-')

Focuses on -eva to prevent further EVA from happening and boosts guard skill to enhance proc rate.
 Sylph.Krsone
Serveur: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-07-11 17:34:58
Link | Citer | R

Arhat gives more -pdt and bando's gives more -eva. edited
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-11 17:41:44
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Here's a good Guard set for people looking to skill guard (*'-')

Focuses on -eva to prevent further EVA from happening and boosts guard skill to enhance proc rate.
Evasion should never be a problem, I'd gear pdt or guard+, even defense over eva-
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-07-11 17:49:37
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Krsone said:
Arhat gives more -pdt and bando's / mermans earring gives more -eva.
Merman's Gives less -eva actually. I was just doing Ample since they're fastest to get in general.
By macsdf1 2011-07-11 18:01:06
Link | Citer | R

I used as much pdt as I could, there's no tiger masks in stock or black adargas. I mostly used relic knuckles anyhow for less dmg, and subbed war as well. Had af feet legs boxers torque earring for guard gear. Rest was pdt gear, and AF3 +2 hands for tactical guard. I had my denali hands but they are 6 evade meh.

As guard went up high, like over 300s I started guarding alot more. I'd gain so much TP from tactical guard I could do back to back to back ws lol.

Dunno if I'm guarding more from higher skill, or the skill matching the mobs level. I know from parsing parry, that I started off around 5% parry, but was up to around 9% by the time I logged at 327 skill (354 with gear on).
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-07-11 18:18:54
Link | Citer | R

My evasion post was not a joke, by the way.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [75 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Akamatzu
Serveur: Asura
user: Akamatzu
By Asura.Akamatzu 2011-09-24 17:37:22
Link | Citer | R

My guard is at 151 with 8 merits. Where would be the best place for me to lvl guard at?
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-09-24 17:40:41
Link | Citer | R

I'd say Aby Atto as /DNC with a PDT set and Regen Atmas. Pull 4-5 mandies, target a different mob and let them have it.
 Asura.Akamatzu
By Asura.Akamatzu 2011-10-07 12:06:42
Link | Citer | R

Dark Ring only has a PDT-4% on it.
 Asura.Zeike
user: Minds3ye
By Asura.Zeike 2011-10-07 12:48:31
Link | Citer | R

try out this mantle to substitute for boxers if need more -eva

fun stuff ; ;
*edit* just noticed PUP cannot use.... if you have a mnk u can cap guard on FOR pup ur set tho ;D
(@ Zorander)
oh ya and a successful guard with Tantra+1+2 gives 5-10 TP return
(Tactical guard ensures that the guard will return a minimum of 5tp, tho unsure if 10 is the max amount returnable with tantra gloves, not assuming much if any more can be)
 Ragnarok.Sionnach
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sionnach
By Ragnarok.Sionnach 2011-10-08 12:24:41
Link | Citer | R

Took guard skill from 174 to 192 (18 levels) in 1 hour yesterday in Abyssea - Altepa. Stacked as much -PDT as I could (-34% I think it was for the gear I had) popped Elshena and had a RDM friend Phalanx me. Ended up with about 20 Fear Dergs pounding on me for 0-5 dmg but mostly 0. Regen atmas so the RDM wouldn't have to cure and slid along the wall until they were all bunched directly in front of me while targeting one that the RDM had grabbed. Easy day.
 Asura.Akamatzu
By Asura.Akamatzu 2011-10-17 11:42:26
Link | Citer | R

@95, I got to 197 in Misareaux Coast then it really started to slow done. About 0.5 a hour. I would hold two and look at another.

I have a 255 setup.
By Elsewhere 2011-10-24 11:29:32
Link | Citer | R

Any location tips for 380+? I just spend an hour and a half in Altepa with every mandragora on me with only 0.1 skill.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [40 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Cantidosama
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Cantidosama 2011-12-03 02:21:03
Link | Citer | R

Have you try'd to get the skill up earring and ring that come from caskets. I found that those 2 with the food increased skill ups a ton, as in i would spend 2 hours before in Abyssea Altepa with maybe 0.3~0.5. after ring and earring with food i would have been getting anywhere from 1~2 in the same amount of time. As for location tips, Abyssea is probably the only place you are going to get anything just try to look for the harder monsters. i would always get over run by FC parties so i'd have to jump from place to place. In the last run i had to use like 7 Glen crabs from Graub though they were all "Tough ~ Very Tough"
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [120 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2012-04-01 12:21:15
Link | Citer | R

Guard is dead lvl monk
 Asura.Floorboss
user: Floorboss
By Asura.Floorboss 2012-04-08 07:50:20
Link | Citer | R

Anyone have suggestions where to go to skill up? I tryed the tree doing black mandys but whey just miss me like crazy My guard without gear is 232 and that includes the 4 merits into guard. With gear its 288. I have a 75 rdm with full merrits on phlanix 2. I kinda want to take use of this martial master wile it last.
 Asura.Floorboss
user: Floorboss
By Asura.Floorboss 2012-04-08 08:31:10
Link | Citer | R

ok ill try that but what atmas do I use because I got some but not all. Dont have dual guard. Should I go for regen and defence??
 Valefor.Madranta
Serveur: Valefor
user: Madranta
By Valefor.Madranta 2012-04-08 16:45:42
Link | Citer | R

You may want to wait on putting the time in to level Guard:

Siren.Kalilla said: »
04-05-2012 04:18 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

In regards to the rate of skill increases, we feel that there were positive effects from the adjustments made in the Feb. 2011 version update and currently have no plans to increase them further.

However, in regards to those difficult to increase skills such as guard and parry, we are planning to revamp them. The main reason why these skills are so hard to increase is due to the fact that skill increases only occur when the effect is elicited, so compared to evasion skill; the chances to increase these are lower.

With this said, we will be making adjustments so that it is possible to receive skill increases without parry or guard activation similar to evasion.
Subscribe

Saying that they WILL be making these changes is a pretty strong statement from them. Now it is just a matter of how long it will take for them to implement the change.
 Leviathan.Ruvion
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ruvion
By Leviathan.Ruvion 2012-04-29 20:32:18
Link | Citer | R

this maybe related to content back when the level cap was 75 but it still will give you the idea as to why capped guard is so usefull. All credit goes to Genome.

http://genomeffxi.livejournal.com/2942.html
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [67 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Zekky
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Zekky
By Phoenix.Zekky 2012-07-05 16:09:46
Link | Citer | R

I just recently got my guard up to cap last night.

GuildWork Page if you want to see the feed I've posted since I don't want to copypasta. Informed others what I did and where I did it to get it to cap.