Help With Lvling Guard. Currently 256 How Can I Cap Rest Solo?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Help with lvling Guard. Currently 256 How can I cap rest solo?
Help with lvling Guard. Currently 256 How can I cap rest solo?
First Page 2
 Pandemonium.Treppe
Serveur: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-24 13:43:14
Link | Citer | R

Ive been leveling guard For some time now been soloing all the way. But Ive run into this wall when I hit lvl 256. I was killing crabs and mandys in The Boyhada Tree when i hit 256. I read i should do mandys in Den of Rancor till cap, but The T's there pretty much own me even with food >_<. can anyone help me on where to solo the last 13 lvls solo. Sorry I have no zombie mages to help me out atm.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-24 13:48:43
Link | Citer | R

I know there's a site that has a bunch of things of skilling up guard you can read it and see if it helps any. got it off wiki.

http://genomeffxi.livejournal.com/profile
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-24 14:00:10
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
I know there's a site that has a bunch of things of skilling up guard you can read it and see if it helps any. got it off wiki.

http://genomeffxi.livejournal.com/profile

Thanks I've seen his website it was a really good read but he doesnt go very far in depth about what to specifically lvl on as you lvl guard. He gives some good general tips though. Id like to be able to ODS like he does someday my eva skill capped and eva gear at 280 (no boxers mantle yet) Just need to cap this darn Guard I was so confident untill I hit this 256 wall too. So close but yet so far.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-24 14:01:58
Link | Citer | R

well I think my friend capped it on fleas (chigoe) in caedarva mire. I believe you can cap it there with /dnc sub
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-24 14:05:08
Link | Citer | R

hmm... I think fleas there do spawn around lvl 75 sweet. let me do some reserch with def food and some luck that just might work /bow Thank you so much ^_^
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-24 14:08:35
Link | Citer | R

no problem lol at least your guard is up there, i uh slacked in skilling it up. its at 67 >< but it was skilling up pretty fast in a merit party last night against mamools and got to 67 lol anyways good luck. np lol
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Serveur: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-24 14:09:33
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Yeah I'd imagine Chigoes would give a bunch and are ideal.
Attack fast as hell.
Little damage.
Feed TP like no other for Dnc cures.
When ***hits the fan, Box step that mofo. Dead.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-24 14:14:35
Link | Citer | R

Haseyo said:
Yeah I'd imagine Chigoes would give a bunch and are ideal.
Attack fast as hell.
Little damage.
Feed TP like no other for Dnc cures.
When ***hits the fan, Box step that mofo. Dead.

That is so true I usualy have to gravity mobs when things got tough and run away till depop but fleas go away with a job skill ability hitting them. This is awsome I'm filled with hope again, \m/ (^_^) \m/
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-24 14:19:39
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Or, just WS, that always one-shots them too; but if you need to kill another, you may want the TP.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-24 14:22:12
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
no problem lol at least your guard is up there, i uh slacked in skilling it up. its at 67 >< but it was skilling up pretty fast in a merit party last night against mamools and got to 67 lol anyways good luck. np lol

when i started skilling up mines was 63 its all about finding the rightmobs for that lvl. I've found if you are getting .5 you're probably out of the ideal mob lvl range to skill up fast. because .5 come by very slow and also have a chance of still getting .1-.4 Its best to just consistantly get .1-.3 or .4 by staying with mobs that correspond to your guard skill lvl.
 Fenrir.Omnitank
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Omnitank
By Fenrir.Omnitank 2009-03-24 14:22:22
Link | Citer | R

Let things hit you, but not, keep your hands up. It will cap.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-24 14:44:37
Link | Citer | R

Omnitank said:
Let things hit you, but not, keep your hands up. It will cap.

lol yeah thats guard skill capping for dummies but its so true, and it works
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-24 15:06:29
Link | Citer | R

http://monsters.ffxi-atlas.com/

There's a skill up calculator at the bottom left of the screen, might be helpful.
 Ifrit.Kalix
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-03-24 17:11:21
Link | Citer | R

Do you do Salvage at all? I Mnk tank in salvage about 3-4 days a week and I almost always get skill ups each run.

Chigoes are a great skill up mob, as mentioned above.

As for killing mobs around your skill level, it becomes difficult if you are 75 and have really crappy skill. I'm @ 114 (equivilent of a lvl 37 Mnk ;;) and I find that mobs around that level just die too fast now.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-25 07:37:12
Link | Citer | R

I didnt try the Chigoes anymore I did some research and they are about lvl 63 in caedarva mire which is far too low to get skill ups on at this lvl. Need to be EM or Ts. I went back to The Boyhada Tree and got lvl 257 yesturday on Ts crabs. I had to use food and take off all my -eva gear cause them hitting over close to or over 100 damage each hit consistantly means a death is coming very soon.

No i dont do any Salvage but I can help you with your lvl 114 skill up. Kill mobs that can take a beating. Slims (Dark Aspic ) in Bostaunieux Oubliette are perfect.

anyone pre lvl 114, I did get to lvl 113 by skill up on black mandys on Bibiki Bay - Purgonorgo Isle . But I had to target another mob that I wasnt attacking while letting up to 7 or 8 black mandys hiting on me in the dirction I was facing. Counter will kick in and eventually killing all the mandys so you'll have to keep aggroing more.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-25 07:57:14
Link | Citer | R

Hitetsu said:
http://monsters.ffxi-atlas.com/

There's a skill up calculator at the bottom left of the screen, might be helpful.

Oh this website is nice for calculating what you should be killing. I was right in aiming for EM or above. however anything over EM isn't really soloable in guard skill up gear. would noramlly solo in eva gear set up or using shadows making it almost impossible to skill up solo. I guess im just gonna have to find some mage help for it.

I'll see how long T crabs give me skill up points. They were giving me .3 at lvl 256 so should still be good for a good few more lvls I think untill I find some mage help to do harder mobs
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-25 08:10:37
Link | Citer | R

Anything DC-IT can cap you at your current level, so T crabs should take you to 269, just take a while unless you get lucky with a few skill ups.
 Ragnarok.Jammie
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Jammie
By Ragnarok.Jammie 2009-03-25 09:12:09
Link | Citer | R

The Chigoes in Bhaflau Thickets and Wajaom Woodlands are supposed to be level 71-73, but each only has 5 spawn points, and I have no idea where they are. (Just copied this of FFXIclopedia).

I guess it's too late for you tho, I suppose. Mob level 73 can give you skill up until 259 on an A- skill?
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-25 09:37:35
Link | Citer | R

Jammie said:
The Chigoes in Bhaflau Thickets and Wajaom Woodlands are supposed to be level 71-73, but each only has 5 spawn points, and I have no idea where they are. (Just copied this of FFXIclopedia).

I guess it's too late for you tho, I suppose. Mob level 73 can give you skill up until 259 on an A- skill?

They are lower than im trying for but also they spawn by attacking those big elephant mobs. i guess they drop out of their fur. lol
 Kujata.Yishay
Serveur: Kujata
user: yishaymnk
By Kujata.Yishay 2009-03-25 10:22:20
Link | Citer | R

you'll want lvl 73-75 mobs ... which means bibiki bay goblins imo. i suppose the only way your going to solo is if you have your NPC to 70. good thing is you can solo skeles in gustav tunnel once you hit guard 264 ^^

congrats on getting it that high so far .. says alot about monk.
 Fenrir.Omnitank
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Omnitank
By Fenrir.Omnitank 2009-03-25 10:42:32
Link | Citer | R

If you are really low on Guard, go to a zone where the mobs should yield good skill ups, Mnk mobs preferably, and train a few to a zone.

Have them all face you, you do not need to enguage, you will still guard and get skill ups. I am not sure how these ups compare to fighting a mob but can still be done this way.

Just be careful, even weak enemys in mobs can kill a 75 if not careful.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-25 11:43:09
Link | Citer | R

Omnitank said:

Have them all face you, you do not need to enguage, you will still guard and get skill ups.

That is not True. For guard you MUST be enguaged meaning weapon out in a fight pose and facing the mob thats attacking you for guard to activate and to get skill up. however you can engage a mob that is out of your attack range that you have not attacked, and let the mobs that you aggroed beat on you while facing them. Careful not to let the mob you are engaged to walk out of range completly >_<

Guard will never activate if you are not engaged and facing the mob. Sheild skill will activate without engaging... So not fair.
[+]
 Unicorn.Claquesous
Serveur: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2009-03-25 12:12:03
Link | Citer | R

I don't understand what's so confusing about skilling up.

You can cap your skills if and only if the mob you are fighting is your level (i.e. cons Even Match) or above. You can not cap off a DC. You need not fight a IT to cap.

This is not to say that EM mobs will give the best skillup rates, just that they are sufficient to reach cap. In general when you stack on Accuracy gear, weapon skill ups are best when the mob is 4-6 levels above your current skill level. Weapon skillups are also best against mobs with high defense and high hp like crabs. Defensive skillups are another matter especially when soloing. You should opt for quick hitting and weak mobs. Also, no mages. The skillup tool on ffxi-atlas is clearly aimed for weapon skillups, I think its advice for defensive skillups is at best misleading and at worst blatantly wrong.

Since you haven't capped for level 73 yet (assuming you're still 256), you can fight mobs that are 73+ until 259 at which point you will need 74+ until 264 when you'll need 75+.

Here's a couple ideas:
Om'hpemde 73-77 Sea
Light Elemental 73-74 The Shrine of Ru'Avitau
Puk 74-77 Den of Rancor
Any doll in sky 75-78

In general, pick something you can zone. I did quite well with Shield and Parry skillups on Puks, but it was very slow going while solo.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-03-25 12:36:24
Link | Citer | R

Claquesous said:

Since you haven't capped for level 73 yet (assuming you're still 256), you can fight mobs that are 73+ until 259 at which point you will need 74+ until 264 when you'll need 75+.

Here's a couple ideas:
Om'hpemde 73-77 Sea
Light Elemental 73-74 The Shrine of Ru'Avitau
Puk 74-77 Den of Rancor
Any doll in sky 75-78

Now from what I know about skilling up I completly agree with this. Just was not exactly sure when DC =( no skill ups at all). So I was aiming for EM and Ts only if i could. but thanks very much for clearing it up for me ^_^.

As far as areas to skill up those all are good, but solo might be a lil hard. those Puks owned my *** glad I had a zone behind me. I'll need mage help for them. I may just stay in The Boyhada Tree skilling on Crabs cause they are DC-Ts and are perfect for soloing without worrying about zoneing. EVA gear gravity with /dnc runaway till depop FTW. (might be slower but I'll get there).

I'll probably force depops on those DC crabs untill they pop EM or T when i reach 259 (thank you so much for the tip). Im 257 now ^_^
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [567 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Juandbz
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Juandbz
By Bahamut.Juandbz 2010-10-13 23:09:15
Link | Citer | R

my guard skill is 261 and stuck there if u guys have any ideas I'll try them out
 Bahamut.Serj
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-13 23:29:34
Link | Citer | R

I thought it was already beat to a pulp that skilling up guard is worthless and pointless and a waste of your life?
 Sylph.Oddin
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-10-13 23:32:59
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Serj said:
I thought it was already beat to a pulp that skilling up guard is worthless and pointless and a waste of your life?

There are those rare people that apparently must see blue numbers.
 Phoenix.Barut
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Barut
By Phoenix.Barut 2010-10-21 10:14:53
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Juandbz said:
my guard skill is 261 and stuck there if u guys have any ideas I'll try them out

Try Puks in Den of Rancor.
 Caitsith.Katas
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-10-21 10:16:58
Link | Citer | R

Heard crab camp in Halvung or something along those lines has some high lvl crabs you could cap skill off, you could cap 270ish on gigas in vunkS
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-21 10:58:31
Link | Citer | R

gl on your blue numbers (Because that's all it's worth)
[+]
First Page 2