Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Dragua Strategy as mnk
Dragua Strategy as mnk
First Page 2 ... 10 11 12
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-12 18:43:33
Link | Citer | R

Was wondering if any Mnks who dual/triple box'd their dragua scales could give me any tips on how to go about doing Dragua. Haven't fought him yet, but i have access to 2 whm mules and 1 blm mule (for procing). I figured i'd go mnk/war and straight tank, but looking for advice from people who have actually killed it by themselves without brew.

I could use a lot of brews, but if i can do it without em, would be better.

Which atmas, food, buffs, JAs (counterstance?), etc should i use. I don't have his atma, the one that gives 100 earth resist, maybe I should brew him til i get it and then can straight fight it?

---------------------------------

Edit: Updated with relevant info so you don't have to read 12 pages to figure it all out.

If you are comfortable fighting this guy with /war (your mule or whm can react fast or have another outside range). RR, GH, Apoc are suggested atmas to speed up the fight. Could get in trouble if your whm gets petrified.

If you aren't comfortable fighting him /war I would suggest play it safe and get accustomed to the fight by going /nin for first time kill (IF you are alone - dual box) (flame all you want, its nice to be able to get used to the mob and what it does first).

Don't forget to use Fanatic's Powder, since he drops it 100% to everyone in ally. If you have a lot of people, you can all bunch up on him, kick his butt, and rotated fana powders. Will help speed it up.

for brewing, the best atmas for Cataclysm are Cosmos, Smiting Blow, and either Griffon's claw or Ultimate depending on which you have. It is highly recommended to have a mule or friend open a skillchain for you while brewing. Cyclone > Cataclysm takes it down to like 30% health, so really speeds it up and allows you to get 7-8 dragua per brew. Lock yourself on martello, SE said its fine so far.
[+]
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-12 18:57:02
Link | Citer | R

RR/GH/Apoc, kept the earth sachet on full time, switch to mdt set for the -gas, tanked it with and without counterstance, made liberal use of perfect counter and kept impetus up. Fought by the martello with Whm Mnk Blm and Thf, but could easily be done with Whm Mnk.

This is assuming your tank and Whm are competent.

edit: went /nin, ate single target nukes, and make sure the whm puts shell up and keeps bar on you. This was done with Ascetic's Fury, you having Victory Smite will make it go down a whole lot faster.
 Odin.Skeero
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Skeero 2011-04-12 19:03:53
Link | Citer | R

The only annoying this is getting slowed every 15 seconds. Keep up barstonra and you will resist a lot of the slows normally. Nothing special needed. Ive used that earth sachet for 5 fights and it never proced once, maybe im just unlucky. Good luck.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-04-12 19:09:22
Link | Citer | R

I dropped Apoc, and used Earth Wyrm atma. Helped a lot, especially for lowman.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 19:10:59
Link | Citer | R

Barstona, barpetra,

Mnk/war counterstance Gnarled horn, razed ruin, apoc.

Macro in MDT for taking spells to the face.
[+]
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-12 19:23:19
Link | Citer | R

I'm wondering why people are saying Apoc, has to be for Triple attack? speeds up fight? I'm assuming you can't interrupt his casting by beating on him.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-04-12 19:26:09
Link | Citer | R

Can't interrupt, and yes, the TA. Although the RR is nice too.
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-12 19:28:13
Link | Citer | R

If my sole tank (mnk) goes down, the RR isn't gonna do much for me lol
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-12 19:33:48
Link | Citer | R

Don't go down then...

Seriously though, Dragua is really easy. I find Orthrus a more difficult mob due to the fact that it sometimes does combinations of Archeron Flame and -ga IV's, which leaves me with no shadows and little(sometimes no) hp.
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-12 19:37:42
Link | Citer | R

All right, went out and bought an mdt set. now i just need to farm a little time because Amun/Ulhuadshi ate up all my mules stones :( Raist has like 350, but mule down to 5. The KI is pretty common from gold, think i should just cap amber and go to town? or try to do the NM every 10min or w/e it is? wondering which is efficient, since i could only bring NIN for red proc, or war, but not both

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 19:53:17
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Raistlinratt said:
I'm wondering why people are saying Apoc, has to be for Triple attack? speeds up fight? I'm assuming you can't interrupt his casting by beating on him.
Pretty much. More dmg you do faster the fight ends
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-12 19:54:04
Link | Citer | R

All right, went out and bought an mdt set. now i just need to farm a little time because Amun/Ulhuadshi ate up all my mules stones :( Raist has like 350, but mule down to 5. The KI is pretty common from gold, think i should just cap amber and go to town? or try to do the NM every 10min or w/e it is? wondering which is efficient, since i could only bring NIN for red proc, or war, but not both

Get your mule those abyssites. I always farm time first on the surveyors and that usually gets a KI or two, the Roc KI being the more prominent one to appear, at least for us.
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-12 20:16:47
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Zerovirus said:

Get your mule those abyssites. I always farm time first on the surveyors and that usually gets a KI or two, the Roc KI being the more prominent one to appear, at least for us.

They have all the recast ones, but only have like 3 of the +3 per stone. I know i need to do them....but blah! so much to do. I still haven't done the hardest HP abyssite for raist, lvl 5 fame? bs...
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-12 20:18:44
Link | Citer | R

i'm assuming red curry bun for food?, should help speed it up
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-12 20:23:10
Link | Citer | R

i'm assuming red curry bun for food?, should help speed it up

I'm lazy and used whatever I had on me, think it was sushi. Red curry bun will be fine.

edit: yea horrid roar dispels buffs, sorry forgot.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 20:29:12
Link | Citer | R

With how often he dispels food, I just used mithkabobs. Red curry is just a waste of gil on Dragua.
 Lakshmi.Blacklion
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Blacklion
By Lakshmi.Blacklion 2011-04-12 20:54:02
Link | Citer | R

When dual boxing you're already slowing down the kill, i just threw on RR/GH/Earth resist thing, I was /war, had PDT/MDT/Counter+ sets too, they all come in handy. It's real annoying when he full dispels right when you click counterstance, so just wait till he uses a tp attack before using it, then that at least saves you SOME time. Make sure your whm and you have barspells on at ALL times. It's really bad when your dual boxing and your WHM gets petrified over and over lol. And yeah definiately went with kabobs, good luck, he's not too bad.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-04-12 20:55:24
Link | Citer | R

Remember your cathlicons and fanatics
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-12 23:27:16
Link | Citer | R

How far away does his petrify go? can i put one whm in curing range for me, and then another whm outside his range, that can stona my curing whm? LOL go go mule powa!
 Ifrit.Rerisen
user: Mafai
By Ifrit.Rerisen 2011-04-12 23:39:06
Link | Citer | R

its 30, yes you can.
 Ragnarok.Akuji
user: Akujisan
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-04-13 17:59:50
Link | Citer | R

My experiences:

RR/GH/Earth Wyrm, cotanked/DDed with Nemesio so I am just reiterating his comment here. Earth Wyrm seriously helped to keep the pressure off the healers. If you are the only tank, and windowing the healers I would try this atma combo. It's hard to die with Earth Wyrm on, and it's a nice cushion when you are tri-boxing I would imagine.

Barstonra/Barpetra up at all times.

MNK/WAR, counterstance, I didn't spam PC but instead tried to keep it ready for AoEs followed by a couple slips through my counter just in case. Used other JAs as necessary.

Horrid roar erases everything so I personally used sushi, but I would imagine kabobs while swapping aggressor and focus would technically result in a faster kill (Tiger's strategy).

Never tried /NIN and it's not needed in my opinion.

Earth sachet is ***.

Keeping a WHM out of the 30' range should work beautifully.

It's been mentioned already, but Fanatic's Powder is 100% drop so pop that *** if you need it, saved my *** one or two times.

I am also assuming you mentioned yellow proc because you need the +2 items for your mules. FYI yellow doesn't do anything for the scales, only TH. This question seems to pop up every time I have ever gone empy farming.

Hope this helped, and best of luck to you, it's really not that hard.
[+]
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-14 19:46:04
Link | Citer | R

Yeah...i'm thinking atma will help a lot, because its hard to keep up shell v, barstonra, barpetra and tank at same time while not dying. First fight went pretty rough. Definitely going to get the atma and then try it out. I think it will go better since i've fought it once before, i know what to expect. Kinda rushed into it and mules were in range, they started getting destroyed by that aoe wing ***.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-04-14 19:51:16
Link | Citer | R

I don't like this NM at all.

I was BRD whilst my friend Nin Tanked it, and I had to essentially sit 30+ Yalms from it and Pianissimo Ballads onto the WHM whilst being ready to Stona him if ***hit the fan.

Which it did

Twice.
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-16 02:57:52
Link | Citer | R

Well my second fight went MUCH smoother...although i did go /ninja. fight takes a little longer but I think it helps dual boxers, gives you more breathing room to get the barstonra and barpetra up after he full dispels, and also eats the stone 5. Personal preference. when i'm more comfortable i'll prob go /war, or if i have someone else with me. With just barstonra, shell 5, and my MDT set, spells were down to 500ish. Very manageable and didn't need lot of curing til end, when he decided to be spammy mcspammerson.

Proc'd on the mule too, got full drops hehe! take some *** drag. All in all, a fun fight. Wish i had more pops ready...
[+]
 Bismarck.Raistlinratt
By Bismarck.Raistlinratt 2011-04-16 05:35:25
Link | Citer | R

How long do other mnks take on this with soloing and dual boxing healer? Anyone paid attention? I didn't really time it, but i think it took me a lot longer than it should have, time flies when having fun tho. Was wondering if /nin was slowing me down a whole lot, and need something to compare to.
 Ragnarok.Akuji
user: Akujisan
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-04-16 12:49:25
Link | Citer | R

Well, I always went /WAR and I am pretty sure I would only use counterstance on average twice during the fight. Once in the beginning, and a second time in the middle. This would mean he was dead under the ten minute mark. I honestly never timed it, but under ten I would say is a good approximation.

Dual boxing and /NIN would certainly extend your fight time. The more you do it the faster you will get. As long as you can kill it without any major issues I wouldn't be too concerned with your time.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Serveur: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2011-04-16 13:02:06
Link | Citer | R

Don't listen to the tards.

* Razed Ruins, Gnarled horn, atma of the earh wyrm
* WHM keeps barpetra and barstonra up
* MNK/NIN obviously, counterstance when it doesn't dispel it
* And more importantly a serious earth resist set : breeze earring x2, +9/10 earth resist rings x 2, soil sachet, jeweled collar, wind belt. At least. That's is 90 resist in gear. You can get more if you try for it lol.

90+115 (barspell) + 100 (atma) = 305. You don't cap but nearly cap. Add shell V for -~25M mdt ish, plus the mdb from the wyrm atma, you will resist most of the time, and when not you have decent dmage reduction.

For safety I would suggest tripple boxing a BRD for 2x carol which would avoid macroing gear, or alternatively keep ears/rings/sachet full timed and one or two marches if you feel safe.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-16 13:05:15
Link | Citer | R

aren't you always bitching about losing inventory space yet you're carrying around unnecessary resist gear for one specific fight?
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-16 13:06:00
Link | Citer | R

That's not even necessary...
[+]
First Page 2 ... 10 11 12