Optimal Mnk Gear?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Optimal Mnk Gear?
Optimal Mnk Gear?
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2011-02-22 01:50:17
Link | Citer | R

What is the current Optimal Mnk gear? Gear sets would be nice.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-22 05:51:05
Link | Citer | R

If you're asking for an end all be all set, it's still going to have minor tweaks and be situational, so such a set does not exist.
 Alexander.Francisco
Serveur: Alexander
user: Francisco
By Alexander.Francisco 2011-02-22 13:21:17
Link | Citer | R

Basically for TP...

Verethragna_90/-/-/Thew Bomblet
Tantra+2/Faith/Brutal/Moonshade*
Tantra+2/Tantra+2/Epona/Rajas
Atheling/BlackBelt/Tantra+2/Tantra+2

I think Moonshade with Attack+4/Counter+3 augments is the best you'll get for the second ear slot assuming you're tanking... which you will be if you have that gear set.

I honestly just TP in Tantra Tathlum though, as inventory space is tight at the moment.

For Victory Smite...

Verethragna_90/-/-/Tantra
Anwig*/SeaGorget/Brutal/STR+4
Tantra+2/Heafoc/Epona/Rajas
Atheling/Beir+1/Hachiryu/Tantra+2

I think the best head piece for Victory Smite is +WS Damage and +Crit Damage... not sure if it beats out Aias Bonnet though... I think the STR+4 Earring is "Vulcan's Pearl" - no idea how to synth it, and it's very rare and expensive. Cheapest reasonable Smite Earring might be Kemas - and it can double up as a Chakra Earring.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Akuji
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Akujisan
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-02-22 13:23:54
Link | Citer | R

Yes, an optimal set will always be situational. But, if you are looking for a general goal to attain, shoot for this:

1. Cap H2H merits
2. If you have no interest in finishing a Verethragna, shoot for weapons in this order:

Revenant Fists +2 > Taurine Cesti > Taipan Fangs +2 (fire path)
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Serveur: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2011-02-22 13:28:54
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Akuji said:
Yes, an optimal set will always be situational. But, if you are looking for a general goal to attain, shoot for this:

1. Cap H2H merits
2. If you have no interest in finishing a Verethragna, shoot for weapons in this order:

thank you.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Akuji
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-02-22 13:37:56
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Francisco said:

I think Moonshade with Attack+4/Counter+3 augments is the best you'll get for the second ear slot assuming you're tanking... which you will be if you have that gear set.

The last statement there is very true, and the moonshade is certainly not a bad option in the least.

Although, generally on MNK you will be using the atma combination RR+SS+GH. With relic boots that's approximately a 70% counter rate. I have never encountered anything that I could not effectively tank with a 70% counter rate and perfect counter. In this case I am not sure if the counter would win out damage/tank wise over the +attack from aesir.

Conclusively speaking, the counter will technically help out your survivability when tanking, but the necessity of the +counter is the real question. I would say that moonshade and aesir are for most cases interchangeable.
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2011-02-22 13:44:32
Link | Citer | R

SS is a waste. You should be capping crit dmg % with tantra body 60% of the time.
[+]
 Sylph.Rorrick
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-02-22 13:53:42
Link | Citer | R

RR/GH/AoA. SS is a total waste.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-22 13:55:31
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I think the best head piece for Victory Smite is +WS Damage and +Crit Damage
4 str 15 ws acc, 2% ws dmg.

4 str, even w/ capped fstr is roughly even (sidegrade) to 2% crit dmg. Once abyssea ends, crit rate is dropping big time and the second you need even a single point of acc, 4 str 15 ws acc is going to start wrecking ***in comparison
 Ragnarok.Akuji
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-02-22 14:03:13
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn said:
SS is a waste. You should be capping crit dmg % with tantra body 60% of the time.

I totally understand where you are coming from on this one, and I use SS most of the time for the the following reasons:

1. 90% of the time I am tanking, the HP benefits me as a taru.
2. 90% of the time I am lowmanning, so the +enmity keeps the mob glued to me, which is vital.
3. The time that impetus is down SS fills in for capping crit hit damage.

Also, regarding +HP atmas which I pretty much need on taru, SS provides the best additional boosts, even when the most noticeable one is providing me benefit 40% of the time.

The other atma combo I use the most is RR+GH+VV. If I wasn't lacking in the HP department I would most certainly tend towards this one more. I also use this if I am simply DDing.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Akuji
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-02-22 14:05:02
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Rorrick said:
RR/GH/AoA

Not really a fan of AoA unless /NIN. As MNK DD/tank I pretty much just sub /WAR and kill it before it kills me.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-22 14:07:55
Link | Citer | R

Quest abyssites of merit, put merits in HP. Shouldn't be anything 1shotting you aside from something like the ixion NM in ule, which will 1shot you regardless of SS being up, making it moot there as well.

w/ abyssites, and hp merits, there should never be a need for SS. It's a shitty atma and the emity isn't needed either. You're mnk/war one of the top dds in the game. You cap hate quickly enough.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-22 14:08:25
Link | Citer | R

and AoA is the second best atma for mnk, regardless of sub. Second only to Razed Ruins. Everything else, it easily blows out of the water. No competition.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2011-02-22 14:34:45
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Akuji said:

Pretty sure STR Taipans beat Taurine.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-22 14:38:22
Link | Citer | R

They don't, at least not inside abyssea. The outside of absyssea argument doesn't really hold because at that time it won't be a fair comparison. Taipans will win by default when they level up and taurine get no boost, so it'll just be a given rather than a comparison at that point.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2011-02-22 14:43:19
Link | Citer | R

Maybe I'm using this spreadsheet wrong then, because I tried to double check with that and it seems to be agreeing with Taipan>Taurine.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-22 14:50:26
Link | Citer | R

Do you still have victory smite set as the ws?

I'm getting Taipan+2 > Taurine (slight) w/ Vsmite

Changing it back to Asetic, Taurine > Taipan+2 (VERY SLIGHT)
 Ragnarok.Akuji
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-02-22 15:14:46
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Rorrick said:
RR/GH/AoA. SS is a total waste.
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
and AoA is the second best atma for mnk, regardless of sub. Second only to Razed Ruins. Everything else, it easily blows out of the water. No competition.

Taking into account these responses, it looks like I am going to be using AoA full time now haha.

Edit: Just shot through the MNK atma threads which affirmed AoA kicks SS's *** around the block. Totally missed the boat on that one.
 Cerberus.Quintow
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Quintow
By Cerberus.Quintow 2011-02-22 15:33:36
Link | Citer | R

Tantra ear and neck assuming capped gear haste not worth it? Its decreasing returns i know but...lets say w tpain fangs +2?
By Sekaran 2011-02-22 15:37:43
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Akuji said:
I totally understand where you are coming from on this one, and I use SS most of the time for the the following reasons: 1. 90% of the time I am tanking, the HP benefits me as a taru. 2. 90% of the time I am lowmanning, so the +enmity keeps the mob glued to me, which is vital. 3. The time that impetus is down SS fills in for capping crit hit damage. Also, regarding +HP atmas which I pretty much need on taru, SS provides the best additional boosts, even when the most noticeable one is providing me benefit 40% of the time. The other atma combo I use the most is RR+GH+VV. If I wasn't lacking in the HP department I would most certainly tend towards this one more. I also use this if I am simply DDing.

How much HP are you at? I'm sitting around 2800-3200 as a Taru MNK with GH/RR/Apoc.. which I've found is more than adequate for tanking.
 Ragnarok.Akuji
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-02-22 15:46:34
Link | Citer | R

About the same Sekaran. A vast majority of the stuff I kill is just with a WHM friend, so I tend to be slightly paranoid about HP. If I go down its game over. Although, from now on I will be making due with my ~3000HP.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-22 16:00:25
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Quintow said:
Tantra ear and neck assuming capped gear haste not worth it? Its decreasing returns i know but...lets say w tpain fangs +2?
Maybe on dinky exp mobs, on any higher tier Nms, def won't be capped on attack.

That's for earring.

If torque is breaking h2h tier, pretty much always.
 Alexander.Francisco
By Alexander.Francisco 2011-02-22 23:41:59
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Akuji said:

The last statement there is very true, and the moonshade is certainly not a bad option in the least.

Although, generally on MNK you will be using the atma combination RR+SS+GH. With relic boots that's approximately a 70% counter rate. I have never encountered anything that I could not effectively tank with a 70% counter rate and perfect counter. In this case I am not sure if the counter would win out damage/tank wise over the +attack from aesir.

Conclusively speaking, the counter will technically help out your survivability when tanking, but the necessity of the +counter is the real question. I would say that moonshade and aesir are for most cases interchangeable.

With attack as your first augment, you're only losing 3 attack in exchange for 3 counter... pretty sure the extra attacks from counter will destroy that over time.

Could I have a link to this spreadsheet everyone uses?
[+]
 Alexander.Francisco
By Alexander.Francisco 2011-02-22 23:44:23
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
I think the best head piece for Victory Smite is +WS Damage and +Crit Damage
4 str 15 ws acc, 2% ws dmg.

4 str, even w/ capped fstr is roughly even (sidegrade) to 2% crit dmg. Once abyssea ends, crit rate is dropping big time and the second you need even a single point of acc, 4 str 15 ws acc is going to start wrecking ***in comparison

As of right now, does this Anwig beat out Aias Bonnet... pretty sure it has to destroy it - but it'd sure be nice to know for certain...
 Shiva.Khimaira
Serveur: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-02-23 00:14:54
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kyte said:
Maybe I'm using this spreadsheet wrong then, because I tried to double check with that and it seems to be agreeing with Taipan>Taurine.

When fSTR is capped, then the STR is only useful for Attack.
When fSTR is capped, attack has significantly less impact on your damage.

Taurine > Taipan, im positive some math wizard will back this up.
 Ragnarok.Akuji
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-02-23 00:42:31
Link | Citer | R

With attack as your first augment, you're only losing 3 attack in exchange for 3 counter... pretty sure the extra attacks from counter will destroy that over time.

If you are not tanking aesir wins, I think it would be safe to assume the opposite when you are in fact tanking. To be honest, the benefits due to situation are so marginal for these two pieces, its really whatever the player preference leans towards. As I said before, interchangeable.

As of right now, does this Anwig beat out Aias Bonnet... pretty sure it has to destroy it - but it'd sure be nice to know for certain...

Correct. Aias comes in second.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-23 00:47:00
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Khimaira said:
When fSTR is capped, attack has significantly less impact on your damage.
fSTR capped/uncapped has no impact on the value of attack.

Didn't play around with it too much but for the build I already had entered (high-end) Taurine had a small lead over STR Taipan +2. Builds with less attack would see the gap close, possibly favoring Taipans. Same deal if level correction was increased (read: NM instead of EXP mobs).
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2011-02-24 08:31:06
Link | Citer | R

I was looking at the wrong value field when I did it; I guess I'll use my Taurine instead now, since I do have both. The subtle blow will be a nice bonus.
 Cerberus.Leeey
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Leey
By Cerberus.Leeey 2011-02-26 08:45:03
Link | Citer | R

AoA is Atma of the Apocalypse right?
 Alexander.Sumo
user: sumo
By Alexander.Sumo 2011-02-26 08:54:05