Feb 14 Update-- Guard Skill Go?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Feb 14 Update-- Guard Skill Go?
Feb 14 Update-- Guard Skill Go?
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2011-02-14 11:15:46
Link | Citer | R

Ahh yes, posting this update to see who else will try to cap Guard considering the Combat Skill increases (if it even applies to defensive skills at all).

I fully understand that Guard Skill is very meh in Abyssea, what with most NMs and T+ mobs capping attack on your person; it would be to the benefit of having Tactical Guard kick in, rather than getting smacked around for no bonus.

This may or may not be a joke thread.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-02-14 11:19:42
Link | Citer | R

I will be trying to skill up guard on my alt. I know most say it is a useless skill but it bugs me that it isn't blue numbers like all my other skills.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2011-02-14 11:20:08
Link | Citer | R

I'm still not gonna go out specifically to skill guard, but if skilups come faster in day to day mnk ***then great.
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
Serveur: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-02-14 11:25:59
Link | Citer | R

Every little helps so they say, so capped guard would be nice despite procing very little. I think Tiger will come in here later and still say its pretty much useless still. Can still get interrupted casting shadows when you guard against an attack unlike countering the enemy (obvious to most just pointing it out). I wont put any effort at all personally into purposefully skilling just guard, ill let it naturally skill as it has done so far to lvl 265ish minus 10ish lvls I did force by spamming chigoes/mandies.

Highly unlikely it will get such a turnaround to make it really worth capping as soon as possible though.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-02-14 11:54:38
Link | Citer | R

You're right about your second sentence, Krsone.

As I've said before, on any mob worth a damn, you need to *** guard+ to see any difference, otherwise you'll be flooring at 5% guard rate, which is the exact same skill you have at 0 guard.

Guard skill doesn't effect dmg mitigation or anything other than proc rate, so when you have 0 guard skill and 5% guard rate or capped guard skill and 5% guard rate, then capped guard rate is worthless and a waste of time.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Akuji
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Akujisan
By Ragnarok.Akuji 2011-02-14 11:58:35
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Krsone said:
I think Tiger will come in here later and still say its pretty much useless still.

How about I beat him to the punch (lol MNK pun). Wasting time with guard is a foolish endeavor. If you want to take less damage use PDT when appropriate.

Also, MNKs should focus on being the best DD possible. If your MNK can kill ***faster, everyone (including yourself) will take less damage. People tend to forget that the less time a mob has to hit you, the better off you are.

There would have to be a major overhaul on guard in this update to make it worth paying attention too. In the meantime, improve your MNK elsewhere.

Edit: It seems while typing this response Tiger in fact beat me to the punch. haha
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Serveur: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2011-02-14 12:00:06
Link | Citer | R

Spent so much time trying to cap guarding back at 75... and got really burned out ot if. In the end I never managed to reach above 230ish.
Don't really think I'll ever focus again on capping it, unless they add something for guarding that could be comparable to what Shield Mastery is for PLD and Shield Skill.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2011-02-14 22:27:41
Link | Citer | R

I won't even lie, did 104 to 107 Guard doing absolutely nothing. Basically each guard that triggered gave me 0.5.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Soneldar
user: Soneldar
By Carbuncle.Soneldar 2011-02-14 22:32:35
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Shokox said:
This may or may not be a joke thread.

Not letting you play that trap card.

Seriously though, earlier I went and tried a couple of different things. Some in Abyssea, some not. Still too time consuming. Rather take a spork to my eyes.

EDIT: I will say though, the change to FoV is nice. If you want to PL someone to 30 quick, that is.
 Bismarck.Selzak
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Selzak 2011-02-14 23:18:18
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Akuji said:

Edit: It seems while typing this response Tiger in fact beat me to the punch. haha

Perfect Counter.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-02-14 23:21:05
Link | Citer | R

Currently tanking ~20 mandies in abys tahrongi for parry skillups. Seems like I only get a skillup every 50 times I proc a parry. I've gone from 209-218 in ~100 minutes so far.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Serveur: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2011-02-14 23:23:36
Link | Citer | R

done 60-135 tankin in abyssea preupdate
wonder if it will go up faster now post update XD
 Alexander.Francisco
Serveur: Alexander
user: Francisco
By Alexander.Francisco 2011-02-15 01:10:24
Link | Citer | R

Just grabbed ~20 Mandragoras in Abyssea - Altepa... took tons and tons and tons of hits. Repeated a few times.

Guard Skill Go?

Guard Skill No.

All those hits resulted in 0 skill ups.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2011-02-16 03:23:37
Link | Citer | R

Well, I'ma mess with it some and try and get cap anyways. Was 104 before update and now @151, so it hasn't been all that bad to skill it up I guess.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helixx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Helixx
By Bismarck.Helixx 2011-02-16 05:53:28
Link | Citer | R

Tried skillup again in Attowha chasm on chigoes. Fanatics + potions + MNK.
entire chat log was only hits taken, not a single skillup.

Guard is nice to have, but absolutely worthless as it is at the moment.