Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG/BLU spell sets
DRG/BLU spell sets
 Titan.Lillica
Serveur: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-10-24 04:32:24
Link | Citer | R

I am back in the game after a long long break and I've realized as DRG/BLU we have a few more spells and even more magic points and slots to put them in. I was just curious as to what spells other people are using for whichever situations.

I'm settling into DRG/BLU and I will quickly admit I never got good with it before or pimped it out at all since DNC was my main up until lately. Any advice or input would be great (aside from "/BLUsuckswtfuse/WHMor/RDM"

Bahamut.Dasva
Serveur: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-24 04:38:58
Link | Citer | R

cocoon, the 2 5 mp .5 sec cast time spells and then ones for str or vit or maybe some job traits depending on what you doing.

For right now though I think haste alone from /whm would make it better alot of the time.
 Titan.Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-10-24 04:54:35
Link | Citer | R

Yeah the haste would be nice I suppose. Guess I will try to get a key *** spot in abyssea or something to level that some more.

Killer effects are nice here and there. but overall not the most useful. Refueling will be available once the cap hits 99, but then again Haste will be there for /RDM.

Frack the more long term I think about it the less appealing /BLU actually is ><
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-24 05:01:37
Link | Citer | R

Depending on how much dmg you are taking cocoon can be incredibly helpful. So I'd say like anything that would hit consistently hit for more than 150 without any spell buffs would probably benefit more from blu
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-24 05:18:07
Link | Citer | R

Cheapest spells, Cocoon, Auto-Regen (which /RDM doesn't have; /WHM isn't even in the same ballpark for many fights unless -nas are important), and the strongest offensive stats of the three options. It's a nice sub.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-24 05:21:45
Link | Citer | R

You forget haste!!!

Really though situationally is situational. Do you need more survivibility or are you mostly DDing with some light curing?
 Titan.Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-10-24 09:12:01
Link | Citer | R

Hmmmm survivability I would say, I usually use DRG/BLU for campaign so being able to stay alive longer helps. I find headbutt is pretty useful for getting a healing breath off as it usually gives a little stun as well.

One question, Phalanx vs Cocoon, I have no experience with Phalanx but I know it does something similar to cocoon, is either dominant?
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-24 09:18:38
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Lillica said:
Hmmmm survivability I would say, I usually use DRG/BLU for campaign so being able to stay alive longer helps. I find headbutt is pretty useful for getting a healing breath off as it usually gives a little stun as well. One question, Phalanx vs Cocoon, I have no experience with Phalanx but I know it does something similar to cocoon, is either dominant?
Phalanx is your enhancing magic divided by 10 -2, as a rdm sub my drg has about 120 enhancing magic, which would equal about -10%dmg taken, that beind said i like drg/rdm better cause of refresh now and icespikes and also convert ,
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-24 09:31:51
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said:
Phalanx is your enhancing magic divided by 10 -2, as a rdm sub my drg has about 120 enhancing magic, which would equal about -10%dmg taken, that beind said i like drg/rdm better cause of refresh now and icespikes and also convert ,

Only if the enemy hits you for 100 damage.

Phalanx is just a straight reduction to the damage taken. All damage you take there is being reduced by 10, not 10% (which would make it unbelievably godly).

Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-24 15:21:20
Link | Citer | R

In all reality if you are taking so much dmg on drg/mage that you need convert (which is incredibly dangerous for you to use anyways) when you have refresh then cocoon will definitely be better than phalanx.

Though to be fair protect II plus bio II helps a decent amount too
 Bismarck.Luces
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2010-11-03 16:23:09
Link | Citer | R

+20 defense and -20 atk is nothing compared to the defense cocoon gives(putting me at close to 600 now) coupled with the vit and str spells, NTM with /blu any form of 1 mp/tic refresh will allow for intense healing. Whm has no refresh and its spells cost more mp, and if you are hasting yourself that's 40mp. If you are using full perle that 40mp is extremely precious and if you are in abyssea you have to waste an atma on refresh /whm. /rdm would have to refresh its self for the constant bio IIs. Also don't forget these spells are only half the skill lvl so they do considerably less damage. Personally I hate auto-regen it has caused my death on many occasion by that 1 hp tic putting me over the threshold when I was under it b4 I spell finished. Hence why I do not sub whm or equip auto-refresh on blu. The killer traits are also handy when they work.