Argus (and Other Low Profit NM's)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » NMs » Argus (and other low profit NM's)
Argus (and other low profit NM's)
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-06 10:54:07
Link | Citer | R

So yesterday when I was omw to atthowa chasm to kill vermins for ToM, I figured I'll run past Agrus and see if he was up.

Ofcourse he wasn't.

Once in atthowa I aggro and got killed by sarga (didnt know the *** aggro), and had to HP. For shits and giggles I went past Argus again. This time he was up and no one else was there. Killed and and no drop ofcourse.

I figured I might as well log off there last night, just to see if I was gonna be lucky again.

I logged on and I see 4 other people camping him.

And now to the point

Why would anyone camp an NM like that these days? PCC is like ~1 mil on my server, you are more likely to have farmed 1 mil or more by the time you actually get claim + drop from argus, or even a bigger chance of getting it from the BCNM (which actually have other decent money drops these days).

There is nothing I hate more than camping NM's, sure if I have nothing better to do I can leave my char at spawn point and be half AFK while doing other things at the same time, but as soon as there's competition I'll just leave. I feel its a waste of time tbh.

* Is it the rare/ex that makes people camp him?
* They wanna get PCA so they can make a mil off their PCC?
* They have no clue on how to make gil in this game?

What is it really that makes people camp "low profit" NM's like that, especially when the drop can easily be bought off AH kind of cheap.

And no, this isn't a QQ thread. I'm just curious about what drives these people.
[+]
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-09-06 10:57:58
Link | Citer | R

I'd like a PCA because of reason 1 and 2. It signifies success in my mind, while getting some extra gil in my pocket.

But I never get round to camping him D:
[+]
 Siren.Delirium
Serveur: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-09-06 11:03:17
Link | Citer | R

I gotta say its for the Rare/Ex side of it... at least for me. The only reason I got my Empress Hairpin was to sell my Emporer.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-06 11:05:48
Link | Citer | R

Only reason I have empress hairpin is because I got it for my very first job 6+ years ago, when it was lv 25ish. Emperor hairpin was like 2 mil (or maybe more) back then, and there would be no way in hell I could have afforded that.
 Asura.Rinkydink
Serveur: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-09-06 11:08:30
Link | Citer | R

lol i got my emp hairpin when i had to camp him for TOTM.. that was funny ***.. when i went to camp him years back i never got it

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2010-09-06 11:18:17
Link | Citer | R

I camped and got my amulet about 3yrs ago, and it was to save money on the charm,. Which was 3m at about that time. And the shiny ex logo. I couldn't allow myself to spend money on something that I could camp and get for free, with a little hard work.not to mention, I love the trophy status.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Superdan
Serveur: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-06 11:21:44
Link | Citer | R

A lot of these NMs have a ToD that is very easy to keep track off, making it less of a time sink once you have it.

Example, back when Serket Ring was selling for 700k a pop (Claw going 150k), myself a few friends monopolised Serket for three months straight. We're all on differant time zones & could solo/duo him depending on who was online. We got all our mages in LS their ring & made millions of gil out of it, and honestly for a social ls who cant go out-claim HNM shells bot-claiming behemoth and ***, it was good money for spending 1-2 hours a day. I know this is a little differant, but the idea is the same.

Also on a side note: The 8% drop rate is such *** on wiki for Serket Ring. Over 3 months, having Th3 most of the time.. We were more at a 75% drop rate >.> It's the claw that don't drop for ***..
 Cerberus.Dirkoni
Serveur: Cerberus
user: dirkoni
By Cerberus.Dirkoni 2010-09-06 11:23:30
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Galvaya said:
I camped and got my amulet about 3yrs ago, and it was to save money on the charm,. Which was 3m at about that time. And the shiny ex logo. I couldn't allow myself to spend money on something that I could camp and get for free, with a little hard work.not to mention, I love the trophy status.

Pretty much this =P

Plus, at the time I started camping it, I was leveling PUP and wanted the ACC.. but didn't have any extra money, due the attachments costing a lot (and not being able to re-sell them =( ever..) I think it feels better to have the rare/ex version.. it kind of shows people that you have dedication.. (or that you are too cheap haha).
 Unicorn.Grimjow
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Grimjow
By Unicorn.Grimjow 2010-09-06 11:24:08
Link | Citer | R

Yea atleast in the case of PCA and maybe even Kote/Fuma people don't like to buy what they can camp.

And the rare ex is proof you can do things on your own.
 Ramuh.Tousou
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-06 11:37:13
Link | Citer | R

It took me 20 days to get this(twice if you include Mai's). Lots of frustration, bitching, and lack of sleep. God knows the LS wanted to rip off my jaw.

NMs are prey to me. I hunt them for sport and aim to get a Trophy as a sign of success. I'm also quite proud of having the Rare/Exclusive equivalent of other nice items. (Not to say I don't do it for the stats, etc, too ;D)

As an example: Imagine that you're hunting a Lion. After expending time and energy, you finally manage to subdue and kill it. Afterward, you decide to take one of its teeth and turn it into a necklace to mark the occasion and show your success to your friends.

In the end, some hunt NMs for profit, excitedly kill them passively, and some, like myself, do it for sport.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-06 12:29:23
Link | Citer | R

The trophy killing I can but. But the people who for example camp argus to save a mil from PCC I dont get.

Take Tousou's 20 days for an example, for someone who camp PCC to save a mil, how many PCC's could they have bought if they spend that time farming instead?
 Lakshmi.Jaguarx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaguarx
By Lakshmi.Jaguarx 2010-09-06 12:52:57
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
So yesterday when I was omw to atthowa chasm to kill vermins for ToM, I figured I'll run past Agrus and see if he was up.

Ofcourse he wasn't.

Once in atthowa I aggro and got killed by sarga (didnt know the *** aggro), and had to HP. For shits and giggles I went past Argus again. This time he was up and no one else was there. Killed and and no drop ofcourse.

I figured I might as well log off there last night, just to see if I was gonna be lucky again.

I logged on and I see 4 other people camping him.

And now to the point

Why would anyone camp an NM like that these days? PCC is like ~1 mil on my server, you are more likely to have farmed 1 mil or more by the time you actually get claim + drop from argus, or even a bigger chance of getting it from the BCNM (which actually have other decent money drops these days).

There is nothing I hate more than camping NM's, sure if I have nothing better to do I can leave my char at spawn point and be half AFK while doing other things at the same time, but as soon as there's competition I'll just leave. I feel its a waste of time tbh.

* Is it the rare/ex that makes people camp him?
* They wanna get PCA so they can make a mil off their PCC?
* They have no clue on how to make gil in this game?

What is it really that makes people camp "low profit" NM's like that, especially when the drop can easily be bought off AH kind of cheap.

And no, this isn't a QQ thread. I'm just curious about what drives these people.

QFT, I couldn't have written this better myself. I've had the exact same questions about the matter for a long time.

Although, when I asked my friends who camped these NM's. I found out that it's the pride and accomplishment people receive from obtaining these items (which has already been said). That along with a combination of having a lot of time on your hands and being subject to spending that time camping the NM's.

In the end, we can't dictate how people play this game. We can just ask why they play it in such a way and input our opinions on the matter.
But if playing it there way makes them happy, I say "meh just let them do it."

Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-09-06 13:01:23
Link | Citer | R

I remember when my only 75 was BLM and Traveler's Mantle sold for ~30k. I'd sit in KRT when I had work to be doing or whatever and set up a stopwatch to mark spook's death after I kill it so I can work and make some quick cash. To me, I guess it was the convenience (though I'm aware Spook isn't a NM).

Now though, I'm more interested (like other people have said) in the "trophies". I want to kill Taisaijin, the Title would be my Trophy.

Titles are my trophies instead of any actual items it drops I guess, so if a NM gives a title, I want it! Naturally, some are "better" than others; say "Bye-bye Taisai" compared to "Behemoth's Bane".
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-06 13:03:21
Link | Citer | R

heh yeah. If people wanna camp NM's like that, its up to them. I'm not saying it's wrong or anything.

I just don't see the logic that some of these campers use, "I'm gonna camp this NM nonstop for a week because I can't afford to buy the item off AH".
 Ramuh.Tousou
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-09-06 13:14:29
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Titles are my trophies instead of any actual items it drops I guess, so if a NM gives a title, I want it! Naturally, some are "better" than others; say "Bye-bye Taisai" compared to "Behemoth's Bane".

Roc Star
Total Loser(?)
Bye-Bye Taisai
Serket Breaker
[Space for others I can't remember]

Bold is the one I have, the rest are ones I want(ed).
 Shiva.Superdan
Serveur: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-09-06 13:20:49
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:

Roc Star
Total Loser(?)
Bye-Bye Taisai
Serket Breaker
[Space for others I can't remember]

Bold is the one I have, the rest are ones I want(ed).

Haha, I killed Roc just for the title too.. Then ended up killing 3 more time because members wanted staff, lol.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-06 13:27:06
Link | Citer | R

hmm, maybe if i had unlimited playtime I would kill stuff for fun/titles/(imo)useless drops.

But my playtime is very limited, so I want to try to be efficient with what little time I have.

Usually during weekdays I only get maybe 2 hours per evening, and really dont wanna spend those 2 hours standing (and hoping) for an NM to pop.

I spend those hours killing stuff for ToM lol.

But, if I had unlimited playtime I most likely would be bored to death after spending a few hours killing mobs during day/weather or some other ***, and maybe it would be a welcome change to just stand and wait =P
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2010-09-06 13:32:57
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Tousou said:

It took me 20 days to get this(twice if you include Mai's). Lots of frustration, bitching, and lack of sleep. God knows the LS wanted to rip off my jaw.

NMs are prey to me. I hunt them for sport and aim to get a Trophy as a sign of success. I'm also quite proud of having the Rare/Exclusive equivalent of other nice items. (Not to say I don't do it for the stats, etc, too ;D)

As an example: Imagine that you're hunting a Lion. After expending time and energy, you finally manage to subdue and kill it. Afterward, you decide to take one of its teeth and turn it into a necklace to mark the occasion and show your success to your friends.

In the end, some hunt NMs for profit, excitedly kill them passively, and some, like myself, do it for sport.

probably the best description of why I camp NMs as well. I once camped every window of Khimaira for over six months before I finally got my Hauteclaire. Though, after quickly realizing how boring it was to just stare at the screen for hours on end, doing nothing at all... I made camping NMs a lot easier on myself by having a second account that could just sit in places for long durations. While my main is off doing regular events with the ls, my mule will be camping something. Khim, Cerb, Tia, Worm/Horse, KV, or whatever else we're camping at the time. When a pop occurs, claim with the mule and kill with the main.

The method, of course, also works real well for the "low profit NMs" as described in the OP. It really just helps to alleviate all of the downtime included with camping, replacing it with more productive events like salvage, abyssea, einherjar, walk of echoes, dynamis, sea/sky, MMM, vnm/znm/scnm/ks/bc/assault or any of the hundred other more productive ways you can spend your time.
By Flionheart 2010-09-06 13:52:27
Link | Citer | R

I like to hunt NM's too. Especially NM's that provide significant challenge solo for MNK/DNC / MNK/NIN.
 Phoenix.Degs
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-09-06 13:57:14
Link | Citer | R

I have to agree with Flion... I find alot of it challenging to solo, not so much difficulty but the sense of accomplishment, though i have PCC, i have camped argus before, and never got the drop... maybe one day i will return and sell PCC. Especially now in game there are many mobs that can be solo'd/duo'd that once were not, and alot of times we do that just to have fun, say we did it, and even if no drop, least we had fun in the process
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-06 14:03:33
Link | Citer | R

@ Sovereign

That means you have to:

1 Pay for a second account

2 Level a Mule high enough to be able to claim and hold whatever NM you're after (or buy an account)

That's a lot of work and/or r/l money just to be able to kill an NM that is basically useless (talking about the low profit ones now).

If taking Argus again as an example. If killing just for trophy or rar/ex thats one thing, but if you do it because you need the PCA, it still doesnt make sense to me to camp it.

Especially not if you bought an account to be able to camp an NM (could just as well just gone ahead and bought the gil for it then)
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Serveur: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-09-06 14:27:53
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Zanno said:

But my playtime is very limited, so I want to try to be efficient with what little time I have.

Usually during weekdays I only get maybe 2 hours per evening, and really dont wanna spend those 2 hours standing (and hoping) for an NM to pop.

I spend those hours killing stuff for ToM lol.

Lol, I'm the exact opposite. I don't have much time to play either, but everything I do in-game would probably be considered inefficient to a lot of people. I just get together with a couple of my rl friends and camp weird NMs like the pirates on the ferry, Behemoth, Bakgodek, and other title/ex item mobs that can be beat with a few people.

I don't really do any of the new stuff like Trials or Abyssea NMs, since I'm not really interested in "advancing" anymore. I just play to hang out with friends who don't live close to me anymore.