Request: Audio Extraction (SMC Files, And More)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Request: Audio Extraction (SMC files, and more)
Request: Audio Extraction (SMC files, and more)
 Fenrir.Tool
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-07-07 02:10:03
Link | Citer | R

With my new android phone I have been having a field day making new themes, backgrounds, customized ringtones that I can edit and adjust for rings, notification sounds etc.

However, what immediately came to mind is making some customized gaming ones by somehow extracting the audio files from game data within what is already installed. Alas, I would not know where to begin as to finding software allowing me to locate, extract, and convert said audio files, especially ones within a single SMC ROM file for SNES emulator use.

If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction or give me a hand as to learning how to do this, I would be extremely grateful.

Oh, and inb4 LMGTFY. I've looked, and most results give forum posts asking the same things and links to software that well... (points down)

So far all I've managed to find is something far too complicated to do me any good. If anyone can make sense of this, please dumb it down for me~

Thank you for your help, advice, contributions, or mutual confusion even.
 Diabolos.Raelia
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2010-07-07 02:20:33
Link | Citer | R

Personally for sprites I just frame-by-frame some screenshots and throw it in Paint.

I've done NES tunes with a Winamp plugin and loopback (or just record your audio-out channel). Looks like theres one over at Zophar's (and probably a newer version buried on winamp.com).

Use Audacity for capture, clip, encode.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-07-07 02:25:53
Link | Citer | R

I don't want to directly record the audio as the game is playing since the audio is in layers and run together in the recording. It wouldn't be worth the effort if I can't get the individual file of audio itself. However, thanks to the nature of SNES games, it is easy to extract images and crop things to your liking in MS paint.

What I am in essence wanting to do is make a soundboard, but just have converted files from their origins. Extraction/location/conversion is the hardest part.

But thank you. I'll check out that Winamp plugin to see if that does what I am looking for.

Also if there is audio converting/encoding/decoding software that lets me do this with all sorts of game data files, I would be more than happy to pay.
 Diabolos.Raelia
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2010-07-07 03:19:55
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tool said:
I don't want to directly record the audio as the game is playing since the audio is in layers and run together in the recording.
Thats why I pointed to playing the SPC segments directly with the winamp plugin.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-07-07 03:29:01
Link | Citer | R

Heh yeah, Zophar's is where I got the software with the pictures shown above. Unless I picked the wrong utility software, that stuff is beyond me when it comes to data extraction from SNES ROM files.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-07-07 13:17:29
Link | Citer | R

Probably best to bump this now while people are posting/have nothing to do while maint is going.
 Fenrir.Tool
By Fenrir.Tool 2010-07-07 17:20:54
Link | Citer | R

Well, if anyone figures something out please post or PM me, thank you.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-07-10 14:43:23
Link | Citer | R

There's a few different audio formats involved with older games. NES used NSF, while SNES used SPC, and Genesis used GYM.

Ripping the audio out of the ROMs yourself is going to be difficult. Every game out there had sort of its own method of doing so, and without a good working knowledge of how to scrape memory, you'll likely get confused. Older games packed their data very tightly -- it's not just arranged nicely track by track like you would expect on a modern CD, and you need to dig for it.

If you're trying to pull from a Playstation or later CD/DVD-based game however, it's typically a lot easier.

If you do find any of the above formats of the particular song you want (and I know Zophar and others have very extensive collections of NSFs, SPCs, etc), there are a ton of free plugins for stuff like Winamp that can then convert/save the file as a wav/mp3, which you can then get onto your Android phone easily.